PDA

View Full Version : Stormtroopers or Veterans for COG/Gears?

No-One
28-12-2010, 03:49
I'm wanting to make an equivalent of Delta squad in my army of imperial guard, its a crusade force featuring a bunch of different regiments and units that are all unique in appearance and conversions throughout but i've been wondering, would it be better, both thematically and mechanically, to run the squad as Veterans in Carapace armor or Stormtroopers with their hellguns?

either way i'm thinking the group would be mounted in a valkyrie vendetta(modeled as a King Raven Gunship)

Dead7
28-12-2010, 03:58
i vote for vets

Gatsby
28-12-2010, 04:13
vets... stupid minimum letters

Reflex
28-12-2010, 04:13
well in game terms vets are basically always better then storm troopers. they are cheaper, more weapon options, are a scoring unit etc etc...

they can even be modelled as ST... so obviously vets...

Lothlanathorian
28-12-2010, 05:42
Vets, as they would allow you to kit your squad instead of having them all armed the same. So you can get that Delta flavor and this shove it down your opponents throat and make Marcus proud.

No-One
28-12-2010, 06:35
okay guys thanks, so it looks like i'll be doing a squad of Vets in carapace, definitely, as for weapons, i'm still unsure of exactly how i want to load them out but i'm pretty sure i wanna stick atleast one sniper rifle in the squad(not positive whether thats an option with vets, a mate of mine is borrowing my codex), as for the squad itself, i'm going to include a bunch of the characters from 1, 2, & 3, so far the loadout is looking like the following:

-Marcus as the VetSgt.
-Dom Santiago
-Dizzy
-Cole
-Baird
-Anya
-Kim
-Carmine(the sniper user if i can include one)
-Tai
-Alex

also, i cant remember right off hand but a squad with Harker bought for it cant wear Carapace, can it? i dont think it can but if so, i think i might model Marcus with a Mulcher as Harker...

ehlijen
28-12-2010, 08:51
If they all look individual and different, I'd actually suggest using them as penal legions count as.

M4V3R!CK
28-12-2010, 11:33
you can have a sniper rifle.

and a plasma gun too.

and even a melta gun on top of that.

Not good enough? how bout a heavy flamer.

want more firepower? get yourself an autocannon or a heavy bolter.

and harker does, in fact, limit you to not having carapace. BUT you do get stealth (I think) which gives you the better cover save. And last time I checked, Gears wasn't Halo and you took cover.

also, if you want a more "Characterful" leader, take bastone, he barks orders at his squad AND has carapace which is always nice.

Killgore
28-12-2010, 12:48
Iv been thinking about what models to use as Gears Veterans, decided that SpaceMarine Scouts with converted heads and weaponry would be a close fit, would look pretty badass

No-One
28-12-2010, 19:10
i'm thinking Bastone will be a good choice for Marcus in a vet squad

@Killgore, what i'm planning to do is use scout torsos and legs with GS sculpted on the boots to make them bulkier and thigh armor added to them, the torsos modified to look a little more similar to the Gears body armor, with Catachan upper arms and space marine gauntlets/lower arms, as for the heads i'm thinking Catachan heads as well

Lothlanathorian
29-12-2010, 00:37
Don't forget chainsaw bayonets (http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Space_Marines/Space_Marine-Infantry-Accessories/SPACE-MARINE-BOLTER---UMBRA-FERROX-X10.html)!

No-One
29-12-2010, 01:23
i'll definitely include them, it would feel dirty to do otherwise!

Nomrana Est
29-12-2010, 02:42
Truly love this idea, especially if it's kept fathfully to the games. I don't have an IG codex to hand, so I have no idea what would be best to use and so forth. I'll be following this.

And you must include chainsaw bayonets. I wonder why the standard lasgun doesn't come equipped with one :rolleyes:.

Frep
29-12-2010, 02:53
Just gonna repeat what has already been suggested on using space marine scouts to represent Delta Squad, mix in catachan heads and arms and you'd got some really good looking Gears. I can't remember who on this site did that, he wasn't actually trying to make COGs but they turned out looking almost exactly accurate.