PDA

View Full Version : Getting Me and Others Into 40k!

Borg451
28-12-2010, 14:33
Basically, I am wanting to get into 40k and also my brother and possibly other friends.

I love the 40k 'verse and am quite a nerd so am fairly patient to learn.. My brother is less patient but am sure would be up for it once he realises how he can use tactics..

I want to play a basic game to get the idea more set for me and enthrall my bro.

Can you suggest a basic game/scenario which uses basic rules. (Much like Battles In Middle Earth magazine had) So we (more importantly him) can both get into it..

Thanks

LonelyPath
28-12-2010, 14:35
Buy Assault on Black Reach, it's got the rulebook, templates, basic introduction leaflet and a tonne (well, not quite, but the good starts for Space marine and Ork armies) of miniatures!

TheWarmaster
28-12-2010, 14:38
Yup, AoBR is quite a good place to start, if one of you wants to start Space Marines or Orks. The rules are quite simple, it can be learned in half an hour.
If none of you want to start Orks or Marines, you could try Big red Book and Battleforces, which would be a lot more costly, but battleforces offer more customization options.

E: If you get the rulebook, it contains the basic scenarios, and AoBR booklet has many little introductory scenarios. I'm afraid GW doesn't have any special scenarios left on their site anymore.

Borg451
28-12-2010, 14:46
Hi, thanks for a quick reply.

I should say,

We have a fair bit of miniatures and also I just bought the big rulebook..

So yeh, is there any rules that don't use/can ignore the more complicated rules?

Or use like 1HQ and 1Troops unit.. Like the pic of a 500pt Chaplain+Tactical Squad??

Are their any .pdf on any?

TheWarmaster
28-12-2010, 15:05
Wait a minute, I'll try to get the combat patrol rules... yup, you can download them from this thread: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/235985.page
E: And remember, it was written for the older editions, so the references to Rulebook pages don't match

Borg451
28-12-2010, 19:28
thanks .. will look at that pdf in a minute and get back to you.. :D

susu.exp
28-12-2010, 19:58
Probably the easiest way to learn the rules is by playing out some training missions. Just put one objective in the center of the table, whoever grabs that wins. Then restrict the lists. Play one unit vs. another unit without upgrades first, which will teach basic movement, shooting and CC. Then one unit vs. another unit both with upgrades adding wound allocation and more complicated shooting and CC. Then add a character (possibly with restricted wargear options). Then add a vehicle (without upgrades first?).

Combat patrol is a nice option, but it works best with a lot of terrain, which you might not have. If you can tell us what armies you have, we might come up with some options for lists.

chromedog
28-12-2010, 23:49
Combat patrol is also best on a smaller table. 4'x4' instead of 6'x4'.

Lothlanathorian
29-12-2010, 00:30
I miss 8'x4' tables :(

Spacker
30-12-2010, 06:56
Wait a minute, I'll try to get the combat patrol rules... yup, you can download them from this thread: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/235985.page
E: And remember, it was written for the older editions, so the references to Rulebook pages don't match

Or you could use the slightly revised rules here: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2140020_School_League_-_Warhammer_40,000.pdf

Note a couple of changes GW made for the School League rules - must have 2 troops rather than 1, no Ordnance weapons, 500points rather than 400points.

Borg451
31-12-2010, 20:28
. If you can tell us what armies you have, we might come up with some options for lists.

Hello,

Ive read the 2 Patrol Clash pdf that were posted and it still confuses me..

Could you guys perhaps suggest a 'boxed game' as it were for me..

i have;

Various Guardsmen and a Sentinel.
Various Astartes and a Rhino
Various Ork Boys and a Nob and a Warboss
Necron Lord and a few Necrons.

I (personally) have Codex Necrons and Codex Orks, but would like to jsut do a standard game with regular weapons and no vechiles. be able to just use the stats in the back of the main rulebook..

can u suggest balanced sides?

ie 10 Astartes with Regular Bolters Vs 10 Ork Boys and a Nob? I dunno, something like that.. thanks..

TheWarmaster
31-12-2010, 20:47
Or you could use the slightly revised rules here: http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2140020_School_League_-_Warhammer_40,000.pdf

Note a couple of changes GW made for the School League rules - must have 2 troops rather than 1, no Ordnance weapons, 500points rather than 400points.

Oh, I just assumed GW had deleted that with their old site.

Fourty-five of one, 10 boyz, Nob with power claw vs. 5-6 marines with maybe a flamer. And I assume you understand why I called you 45 of 1, Since you have Borg in your name. I just ruined the joke, didn't I.

Borg451
31-12-2010, 21:04
Oh, I just assumed GW had deleted that with their old site.

Fourty-five of one, 10 boyz, Nob with power claw vs. 5-6 marines with maybe a flamer. And I assume you understand why I called you 45 of 1, Since you have Borg in your name. I just ruined the joke, didn't I.

45 of 1?

nah.. the name was 451.. 45 of 1 dont make sense..

just thought.. can you reccomend an Ork/Necron mashup?

10 Slugga Boyz (1 with Mega Shoota) and a Ork with Power Axe VS How many Necrons??

susu.exp
31-12-2010, 21:16
Hello,

Ive read the 2 Patrol Clash pdf that were posted and it still confuses me..

Could you guys perhaps suggest a 'boxed game' as it were for me..

i have;

Various Guardsmen and a Sentinel.
Various Astartes and a Rhino
Various Ork Boys and a Nob and a Warboss
Necron Lord and a few Necrons.

I (personally) have Codex Necrons and Codex Orks, but would like to jsut do a standard game with regular weapons and no vechiles. be able to just use the stats in the back of the main rulebook..

can u suggest balanced sides?

ie 10 Astartes with Regular Bolters Vs 10 Ork Boys and a Nob? I dunno, something like that.. thanks..

10 Astartes with Bolters including a Veteran Seargeant would be about the same points as 22 Boys and a Nob with Power Claw. 5 Marines would work against 11-12 Boys and a Nob. 10 Necron Warriors vs. 10 Tacticals icluding the Sgt would also work. All of these have a special rule to keep in mind (Orks are fearless when they have more than 10 models and a leadership of at least the number of models in play. Marines have "and they shall know no fear", necrons have the "WeŽll be back rule"). But apart from that these are unit vs. unit options that donŽt require a lot of special rules and can be fought using the profiles in the back of the rulebook, allowing you to pick up basic movement, shooting and CC.

TheWarmaster
31-12-2010, 22:05
45 of 1?

nah.. the name was 451.. 45 of 1 dont make sense..

It was because Borg name themselves like that, for example, tyranids could name themselves like 45th Genestealer of brood 1, get it.
Moving on!
I presume Necron warriors have about the same stats as the marines, so you could take about the same amount. Listen to susu, (s)he knows this stuff better than I.