PDA

View Full Version : Inquisitorial Retinue

ashendant
28-12-2010, 23:10
With all the new Rumours about a grey knight codex and the inquisitors retinue many many option, i had to make a thread to discuss the background and to discuss which units could be used in a inquisitors retinue, i'm also curious since i don't know nothing of these.

(i know of the list of the lexicanum but it's both half finished and didn't get half of it)

Vaulkhar
29-12-2010, 00:40
The short answer is 'whoever you like' since an Inquisitor can theoretically requisition the services of any Imperial subject besides a member of the Custodes. In practice other groups - usually those already relatively independent of the Adeptus Terra like the Mechanicus and the Astartes - are less 'requisitioned' and more 'invited politely'.

ashendant
29-12-2010, 01:55
The short answer is 'whoever you like' since an Inquisitor can theoretically requisition the services of any Imperial subject besides a member of the Custodes. In practice other groups - usually those already relatively independent of the Adeptus Terra like the Mechanicus and the Astartes - are less 'requisitioned' and more 'invited politely'.

Ok I'll Rephrase
what are the units that the inquisition in general have more tendency to be part of a retinue

MagosHereticus
29-12-2010, 02:30
Ok I'll Rephrase
what are the units that the inquisition in general have more tendency to be part of a retinue

depends on the inquisitor (each one being highly individual), although a novice is a good start

ashendant
29-12-2010, 02:52
depends on the inquisitor (each one being highly individual), although a novice is a good start

... i heard things like death cults and assassin temples... could everyone stop speaking so generally... and start giving me some more concrete units?

MagosHereticus
29-12-2010, 03:00
... i heard things like death cults and assassin temples... could everyone stop speaking so generally... and start giving me some more concrete units?

every option in the codex is a concrete choice

(in case you are unawares, the ordo hereticus and the ordo malleus codexs are available on the astronomicon section of the GW website)

Askil the Undecided
29-12-2010, 03:43
If you want a solid answer don't ask a vague question.

I can only assume that you either know virtually nothing about the Inquisition and/or believe that the codices are all there is of it.

Also, discussing codex entries isn't really a background discussion is it?

If you want to actually discuss background feel free to ask a background question, however if you want to ask what units are in a codex then go to the rules section or get the codex this is especally easy seeing as these ones are freely available.

Lord Inquisitor
29-12-2010, 04:00
Yep, both daemonhunters and witch hunters are free to download and have a pretty exhaustive list (not the examples under each "type" ... an inquisitor doesn't really have a "sage" as a henchman, but he might have an autosavant that counts as a sage type henchman in the game).

The only ones that are really missing are the assassins and daemonhosts (both in daemonhunters), arco-flaggelants (witch hunters), just about anything from codex: imperial guard but particularly primaris psykers and psyker choirs, psychic nulls, space marines or sisters of battle (chamber militant or otherwise), and tech-priests. That about covers every possible troop type in 40K and then some - one would imagine that the inquisitor would have use for beautiful courtesans, hackers, thieves, diplomats, rogue traders, pilots, so on and soforth that are non-combatants.

madd0ct0r
29-12-2010, 04:00
every option in the WH codex has two-three sub-types described:

eg a warrior may be a IG vet,, stormtrooper, a crusader, a cc-servitor ect.

and that's before we look at the radicals.

If you can find it in 40K, you can probably wangle it into a retinue

EDIT: although an Inquisitor may not want to take his beautiful courtesan or spay master with him on a battlefield excursion.

chromedog
29-12-2010, 04:54
spay master

Unless he wants to neuter someone's pet gyrinx or grox.

madd0ct0r
29-12-2010, 05:08
for that comment alone, I'll let the misspelling remain.

If the OP is serious about building an interesting retinue, it is best to start with your inquisitor's back-story, and choose incidents where he might have picked up (or replaced) members of his team along the way.

If the OP has a specific battlefield role in mind, then that will help him shape the inquisitor's back-story (gung-ho, infiltrator, consultancy service ect)

MagosHereticus
29-12-2010, 07:38
Unless he wants to neuter someone's pet gyrinx or grox.

i think she is there just to intimidate rebel guardsmen

Iuris
29-12-2010, 08:02
The way an Inquisitor works:

For his own retinue, the Inquisitor essentially grabs anyone they feel would be useful. Need a bodyguard? Go to the gladiatorial arenas/arbites precinct, look for a nice fighter not recognizable to everyone yet and sane enough, grab him and say "You have the honour of serving me now!". Need someone to take care of the paperwork? Need an expert in a scientific field? Go to the nearest university, look for an appropriate professor, assistant or student, grab him and say "You have the honour of serving me now!". See a pattern yet?

Well, in theory. In practice, you'll likely watch the guy for a long time first, win his loyalty, carefully groom and educate him and make him into a professional acolyte.

That's the retinue, the people that work for the Inquisitor full time / long term.

However, the retinue is mostly for covert investigative and at worst small scale combat operations. They are the people that are in the inquisitor's own squad and those that are individuals, like the death cult assassins.

When it's time for serious combat, the Inquisitor will requisition the temporary aid of whatever is available in the area. Usually, this will be a platoon or two of the local PDF, or if IG is available them, or even stormtroopers. If an actual Inquisition facility is nearby, he might have access to stormtroopers on permanent assignment to to the Inquisition.

But then... stuff needs to be available.

On a feral world infested with a chaos cult, you may find no PDF loyal enough. But you may find a fully functional and loyal monastery full of priests that might well have enough experience with a hammer to be worth calling upon.

On a rebellion-ready world, you might as well see if any local mercenaries are willing to take your coin and fight for you. Or the local criminal gangs might be pissed off enough at the governor that they'll serve you (for the time).

Now, typical profiles that are inducted into the retinue:
-former exeptional Imperial Guardsmen (ones noted for their skill, survivors of particularly dangerous sitations and similar)
-Assassins (amateur assassins (the criminal sort), death cult assassin (the religious variety) or a legally licensed assassin (there's bound to be worlds where that's possible too...) note that these are NOT Temple assassins - those will be under temple command, although they may be detailed to assist an inquisitor on a long term basis)
-Arbitrators (comes with armor and shotgun, good deal. Never mind knowledge of the local underworld, combat training and usually a bit of a brain thrown into the mix)
-Savants (any kind, usually from the ranks of the administratum or educational institutions)
-Clerics (in case your throat gets too raw to yell "FOR THE EMPEROR!!!" yourself al lthe time. Also, usually come with a hammer.)
-petty criminals, charlatans, conmen, thieves, thugs and other assorted Scum (expendable, deniable, cheap... what's not to like. Possibly need to be taught to wash themselves, though)
-AdMech friends (technically not possible to be a formal member of the retinue, but sometimes, long term cooperation may well achieve the same results)

Typical requisitioned units:
-local PDF platoons
-local IG platoons
-Stormtrooper squads, when available
-whatever is there. Hell, if an inquisitor arrived on a planet of rich slave owners and cotton picking slaves, he'd recruit the slaves to go against a cult among the slave owners and the KKK to go after a cult amongst the slaves...

(yes, they are often exactly that kind of bastard)

Polaria
29-12-2010, 08:27
Just correcting one thing:

-AdMech friends (technically not possible to be a formal member of the retinue, but sometimes, long term cooperation may well achieve the same results)

AdMech, while enjoying a considerable degree of independence, is still part of Imperium and as such under the Inquisitors "Emperors Permission For Everything" should still be honored by AdMech. Thus there is no reason why techpriest can't be a formal member of the retinue. While Inquisitor can, in theory, do anything and demand whatever resources he wants from whoever he wants, in practice powerfull institutions like Ecclesiarchy, AdMech and Adeptus Astartes might always not agree... and, unlike most Inquisitors, these guys have the guns to back up their opinions.

Iuris
29-12-2010, 09:02
The Inquisitor game specifically mentions the Tech priests as not exactly subordinate. They may go along with the wishes of the Inquisitor, but they are far more independent than the other types of acolyte.

Polaria
29-12-2010, 09:12
The Inquisitor game specifically mentions the Tech priests as not exactly subordinate. They may go along with the wishes of the Inquisitor, but they are far more independent than the other types of acolyte.

Dark Heresy game and supplements specifically mentions that Adeptus Mechanicum is part of Imperium and under Inquisitorial jurisdiction.

Iuris
29-12-2010, 09:33
OK, my mistake: I meant Dark heresy game, not Inquisitor.

But I'm still sure that is specifically states the Tech priest acolytes are not as subordinate. I'd have to get to my books, though, which will take time.

Also, the Dark heresy game is the one that best illustrates that there's a lot of politicking going around in the Imperium, that it's far from being as united as people think and that the AdMech and SM chaters are particular examples of groups that have autonomy...

Vaulkhar
29-12-2010, 11:46
A lot depends on the Techpriest, of course. A junior acolyte straight out of the seminary isn't going to rebel but a centuries old Magos will not only have his/her (it's?) own agenda, but enough political connections and combat augmetics to make disagreeing with his supposed master a perfectly plausible line of action under the right circumstances. Big caches of archaeotech or hints of an STC would probably do it.

MagosHereticus
29-12-2010, 12:10
Just correcting one thing:

AdMech, while enjoying a considerable degree of independence, is still part of Imperium and as such under the Inquisitors "Emperors Permission For Everything" should still be honored by AdMech. Thus there is no reason why techpriest can't be a formal member of the retinue. While Inquisitor can, in theory, do anything and demand whatever resources he wants from whoever he wants, in practice powerfull institutions like Ecclesiarchy, AdMech and Adeptus Astartes might always not agree... and, unlike most Inquisitors, these guys have the guns to back up their opinions.

i wonder if the heresy series fleshes out a rewritten Treaty of Mars with the balance of power shifted because of the rebellion

Polaria
29-12-2010, 13:48
OK, my mistake: I meant Dark heresy game, not Inquisitor.

But I'm still sure that is specifically states the Tech priest acolytes are not as subordinate. I'd have to get to my books, though, which will take time.

Also, the Dark heresy game is the one that best illustrates that there's a lot of politicking going around in the Imperium, that it's far from being as united as people think and that the AdMech and SM chaters are particular examples of groups that have autonomy...

Don't worry, I did check the books. Most notably DH Rulebook p. 247-248 where it is quite clearly said that AdMech are both part of Imperium, part of Adeptus Terra and come under the jurisdiction of Inquisition.

Yes, Imperium is far from united. Yes, AdMech, SM and Rogue Trader charters give you almost complete autonomy so you can't be ordered around by Governors, Sector Governors or Administratum as whole. You might even be immune from Adeptus Arbites judgement (although Arbitors, being the bull-headed beasts they are, might disagree).

However, you underestimate the extend of Inquisitors mandate. To be an Inquisitor is to hold an ultimate mandate from the Living God of Men itself. It is a literal carte blanche, an open permission to investigate everything, order around anyone and do whatever you think is needed. No limitations.

Thus Inquisitor has the legal right to order around anyone. However, it doesn't mean he necessarily has the guns to make people do what they don't want, so often he is better of asking nicely and cooperating instead of demanding with Emperors authority.

Lord Inquisitor
29-12-2010, 15:16
The way it works is both sides have an element of truth. In principle, sure, the AdMech are technically not above the inquisition. In practice, however, the AdMech represent the one faction of the Imperium that can prove to be impossible to force to do anything. They are diffict to spy on, infiltrate and the threat of them going "on strike" can tie even a lord inquisitor's hands. A Forge World is pretty autonomous. There are many examples of inquisitorial offensive action on AdMech facilities because they can't force cooperation politically. It works the other way of course, while the AdMech can just about ignore the Inquisition, a full on diplomatic incident is a bad thing and an inquisitor is not to be blown off lightly, most of the time "requests" will be honoured, or at least make a show of appearing to cooperate.

That said, outside of their own bastions, AdMech do not wield such power or solidarity (at least solidarity against outsiders), and an individual better do what the inquisition says.

As far as being a retinue member, why not? You don't need to be "ordered" to be a retinue member, plenty of people the inquisitor hangs around with are quite independent e.g. rogue traders, etc. A tech-priest could be a fully on-the-books retinue member or more of a consultant. An inquisitor is unlikely ever to fully trust them not to be a spy or have their own agenda, at least when in direct conflict with the AdMech itself.

Iuris
29-12-2010, 17:52
Aha, I knew I'd find it:
"The relationship between the Inquisition and the priesthood of Mars has been a stormy one, ranging from outright hostility to merely strained in less tumultous times. Nevertheless the two powerful organizations have worked together many times, especially when it is perceived to be in common interest. In these situations, a Tech priest may be present in a cell." p.88, paragraph 4.

Also, "An Inquisitor is always wary when allying with a Magos as chances are they are following their own agenda which is often quite separate from that of other acolytes." ibid. paragraph 5

Essentially, it's politics. Influence+evidence vs. influence+connections. No one is ever quite safe, but the Inquisitor that accuses a high Magos and doesn't manage to prove his case... well, if he's lucky, it's just the end of his career. If not, his own Inquisitor lord might decide the embarassing idiot should just disappear quietly.