PDA

View Full Version : General 8th ed. Quick Questions

Grunge
29-12-2010, 09:27
1) EDIT: Just got this clear by rereading the BRB

2) In a multiple combat, one unit of 3 Minotaurs VS anything in the fron and another in the side.

The unit in the front wipes 2 Minotaurs, so the enemy unit in the side its not in base contact with the last Minotaur by the time they strike.

What happens in this case? The side unit still fights as if it were at the start of the CC round? Does any of the units involved have to move to maintain B2B contact?

3) Does a unit with a mark of Tzeentch and HW+Shield get a 5+ Ward Save in combat?

EDIT: 4) Does a magical Shield still allow a Parry Save when combined with a mundane HW?

T10
29-12-2010, 11:25
2. Flanking units are nudged forwards (if possible) as casualties are removed in order to maintain contact with the enemy. The same goes for units that have engaged the enemy in the rear.

3. The parry save is a 6+ ward save. The Mark of Tzeentch typically improves a unit's ward save by one "pip".

4. If I recall correctly: yes.

I don't think it will come into play very often. You need to decide that the 6+ Ward save is worth not taking a "proper" magic weapon, and you need to decide against investing in a "proper" Ward save even though you really, really want one...

-T10

Grunge
29-12-2010, 11:46
Can you refer me to the specific page in the BRB where you're based form the 2nd question?

I have read the "Multiple Combats" and I got the idea that the unit still fights as they were at the beginning of the combat round. After that they are free from combat, from what me and my friends understood. Still we didn't feel we got it quite right :S

Let me throw another one:

5) A Slann Mage Priest in a 2nd rank of a unit can be singled out by shooting? Either direct shooting or cannon or template? Does he get a "Look out sir roll" of 2+?

RealMikeBob
29-12-2010, 11:52
4) Does a magical Shield still allow a Parry Save when combined with a mundane HW?

No it doesn't. Page 174 of the mini RB.

Palatine Katinka
29-12-2010, 12:20
2) In a multiple combat, one unit of 3 Minotaurs VS anything in the fron and another in the side.

The unit in the front wipes 2 Minotaurs, so the enemy unit in the side its not in base contact with the last Minotaur by the time they strike.

What happens in this case? The side unit still fights as if it were at the start of the CC round? Does any of the units involved have to move to maintain B2B contact?

It's all fairly clear on p61 of the rulebook. The attacker moves forwards to meet the remains of the unit. If it can't the defender moves. So, against the Minotaurs, the unit in the flank would move forward unless it's movment is blocked (likely by the unit in the front) in which case the Minotaur moves along.

The unit is only left out of the fight if the unit they were fighting is wiped out. I'm going to borrow a pic I created for a discussion about challenges to help explain this. If units 2 and 4 wipe out 3, 4 is no longer in the fight and only casualties they have caused count towards combat resolution between 1 and 2 (4's ranks, banners etc. are not counted).

T10
29-12-2010, 12:21
Haven't got access to the book at the moment, so I can't give you a direct pointer. Check the section that deals with units engaged in the flank and rear. It doesn't have to be a multiple combat.

5. This depends on the circumstances, so it is best to first learn the general rule:

A character or champion who is in a unit and who is touched hit by a template weapon is affected by it.
Shooting hits on a combined unit are allocated by the owning player. Allocate hits as evenly as possible: A model cannot be allocated a second hit before all models have been allocated a hit, and so on.

This means that if a character or champion is in a unit of 10 ordinary rank-and-file models and that unit suffers 1-10 shooting hits, then the owning player may decide that the character/champion is one of the models that were not hit. If the unit suffers 11 or more shooting hits then at least one hit must be allocated to the character/champion.
However, characters/champions in units benefit from certain a certain amount of protection under very specific circumstances:

They are in a unit that contains 5 or more rank-and-file models (not including champion)
Those rank-and-file models are of the same troop type as the character.

In this case they cannot be allocated hits from "direct shooting" attacks and they benefit from the Look Out Sir! rule.

Of course, champions are usually of the same troop type as the rest of the unit (Rat Ogre champions are an exception when you take the packmasters into account), and characters are reasonably customizable in their own way: If you want an cavalry troop type wizard it is usually sufficient to buy him a horse. This means that unless the unit contains a low number of rank-and-file models you can expect your character to remain safe for a while.

-T10

Palatine Katinka
29-12-2010, 12:32
To follow on from/sum up T10's post:

The questions you should be asking are:
Is the Slann Mage Priest the same troop type as the unit he is in?
Are there 5 or more rank and file models in that unit?

Grunge
29-12-2010, 12:50
To follow on from/sum up T10's post:

The questions you should be asking are:
Is the Slann Mage Priest the same troop type as the unit he is in?
Are there 5 or more rank and file models in that unit?

Exactly :D

He is not on a mount or on anything else, but he does have a different sized base, so...

Riocard
29-12-2010, 15:25
In the Reference Section of the BRB he is stated as Infantry so yes he may profit from LOS.

T10
30-12-2010, 07:43
Exactly :D

He is not on a mount or on anything else, but he does have a different sized base, so...

Yes, but it's not all that different from using a saurus character in a skink unit or a skink character in a saurus unit. Most character models on 40 mm or 50 mm bases are not infantry troop type, so it is a natural cause for this confusion. :)

-T10

Grunge
30-12-2010, 11:03
It has nothing to do with base size, then?

Lets imagine a 25mm base infantry character on a 20mm infantry unit. It gets poped out to the side of the unit. He still benefits from everything as if he was normally in the 1st rank of the unit?

T10
30-12-2010, 12:30
I think it is safe to assume that the model counts as being in the unit's first rank.

The base footprint does not come into play when allocating shooting hits or for the Look Out Sir! rule.

-T10

AMWOOD co
30-12-2010, 19:26
It has nothing to do with base size, then?

Lets imagine a 25mm base infantry character on a 20mm infantry unit. It gets poped out to the side of the unit. He still benefits from everything as if he was normally in the 1st rank of the unit?

For Look Out Sir and general shooting, base size doesn't matter at all. That's purely unit type.

Base size does matter for Make Way (p100) and position in the unit (p98). In short, if the character occupies the place of normal soldiers in the unit (as compared to being thrust out the side) then he can use the Make Way rule.