PDA

View Full Version : 2,000 Pt High Elf 8th Edition List - Swordmasters and Reavers

Auraknight
29-12-2010, 13:41
2,000 Pts

Lords

1 High Elf Prince: The White Sword, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix and Talisman of Loec: 250 pts

Heroes

1 High Elf Noble: Battle Standard Bearer, Sword of Might, Tamakador's Guantlets, Ironcurse Icon, Dragon Armour, Shield: 168 pts

1 High Elf Mage: Level 2 with a Dispell Scroll [High Magic]: 155 pts

1 High Elf Mage: Level 2 with the Silver Wand and Jewel of the Dusk [Lore of Life]: 160 pts

Core

32 Spearmen with Full Command and a War Banner: 333 pts

14 Archers with Musician and Banner Bearer: 169 pts

Special

15 Swordmasters of Hoeth with Full Command: 255 pts

5 Ellyrian Reavers with Spears, Bows and Musician: 112 pts

1 Tiranoc Chariot: 85 pts

Rare

1 Repeater Bolt Thrower 100 pts

Tactics

I normally play the army quite defensively, with two units of reavers, I can get behind my opponent's front line on the first turn and proceed to harrass their war machines and disrupt their units, or even set up rear charges for when they meet my main army.

In the meantime, I can use my Bolt Throwers and Archers (love 30" range) to do as much damage as possible.

When combat does arrive, I meet the enemy advance head on with my huge block of spearmen, buffed either with Flesh to Stone (if I rolled it) or Earth Blood, greatly increasing their durability, I can even throw in Shield of Saphery to make my spearman very hard to kill. I can then set up flank charges with my chariot or swordmasters and my Prince is absolutely amazing at killing enemy characters, using the White Sword (Killing Blow) and Talisman of Loec.

There are other ways to play the army, I have tried refused flank tactics and other related strategies, but this is the one with which I have had the most success, any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

immortal git
29-12-2010, 13:47
your lord is really vulverable and will die. merge the swordmasters.

Auraknight
30-12-2010, 18:41
Thanks for your suggestions, I have playtested and found that one unit of 15 Swordmasters is more effective than two of 10 as the disruption rule means that I can negate ranks in units on flank charges.

The points that I saved have enabled me to spend more points on equipment for my characters, and I have updated the original post.

exodusofman
31-12-2010, 01:13
Drop the RBT's they arent worth the points also drop the archers and get another unit of spearmen. Im not really a fan of reavers but I can see their purpose in this list however the chariot i cannot. IMO chariots need to hit along side heavy cav and as you have no dragon princes i really dont see the point but you can tell me what yo have in mind for it

Auraknight
31-12-2010, 09:24
I feel the Chariot has been working fine for me, obviously I never send it into combat on it's own (unless I need to tie up a very dangerous unit) but the impact hits just help a little towards combat res, I have considered replacing the chariot with 5 WL or 5 Shadow Warriors, what do you think?

exodusofman
31-12-2010, 12:34
Id personally ditch the chariot and bolt throwers for a nice sized WL unit

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
31-12-2010, 16:10
2,000 Pts

Lords

1 High Elf Prince: The White Sword, Armour of Caledor, Guardian Pheonix and Talisman of Loec: 250 pts

Heroes

1 High Elf Noble: Battle Standard Bearer, Sword of Might, Tamakador's Guantlets, Ironcurse Icon, Dragon Armour, Shield: 168 pts

1 High Elf Mage: Level 2 with a Dispell Scroll [High Magic]: 155 pts

1 High Elf Mage: Level 2 with the Silver Wand and Jewel of the Dusk [Lore of Life]: 160 pts

Core

32 Spearmen with Full Command and a War Banner: 333 pts

14 Archers with Musician and Banner Bearer: 169 pts

Special

15 Swordmasters of Hoeth with Full Command: 255 pts

1 Tiranoc Chariot: 85 pts

Rare

Tactics

I normally play the army quite defensively, with two units of reavers, I can get behind my opponent's front line on the first turn and proceed to harrass their war machines and disrupt their units, or even set up rear charges for when they meet my main army.

In the meantime, I can use my Bolt Throwers and Archers (love 30" range) to do as much damage as possible.

When combat does arrive, I meet the enemy advance head on with my huge block of spearmen, buffed either with Flesh to Stone (if I rolled it) or Earth Blood, greatly increasing their durability, I can even throw in Shield of Saphery to make my spearman very hard to kill. I can then set up flank charges with my chariot or swordmasters and my Prince is absolutely amazing at killing enemy characters, using the White Sword (Killing Blow) and Talisman of Loec.

There are other ways to play the army, I have tried refused flank tactics and other related strategies, but this is the one with which I have had the most success, any feedback is greatly appreciated. :)

Just a few of things:

One of your mages build is illegal has it has two Arcane items (you can only have one of each type of magic item per character)

Instead of High Magic I'd suggest using Shadow or Death for the other mage as the debuffs or character sniping ability of each Lore will help deal with things like monsters, warmachines, ubercharacters which frees up the prince & BSB to kill rank & file .

For further flexiability I'd suggest maybe reducing the numbers of Spearmen and split the unit of archers into 2 10 man units increase the spread and firepower of your army.

I'd keep the chariot as other than the Swordmasters you don't have many hard hitting troops. In a pinch it can add a nice CR bonus for multi charges or take out SMUs.

I hope that helps.

Auraknight
31-12-2010, 17:07
I completely missed that one of my mages was illegal! Thanks for pointing that out, what's an SMU?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
31-12-2010, 17:24
I completely missed that one of my mages was illegal! Thanks for pointing that out, what's an SMU?

SMU = Small Multiple Units. I heard it was all the rage back in 7th edition but not so much in the current edition. High Elves are a type of army that can make use of extensive SMUs (5 man DPs, 5 Man Reaver Knights, 10 man Swordmasters, etc.).

Trains_Get_Robbed
31-12-2010, 19:43
MSU BACK IN 7TH ED. WAS RAPE FOR H.E, it wasn't really fair, even against Demons, 7 S.M or W.L would mop up a 25 man unit of Blood Letters.

That being said. It seems he wants more of shooty list, not super optimzed (the list I like to run, all comers that have a generalized tactic -although my tactic normally consist of ramming troops down the enemies thoart. Thus the only things I would mention are:

Lore of Life mages bulid is illegal. If you have this much shooting in your list, try giving him the Reaver Bow, I run this and Silver Wand sometimes, and its helpful. Also, could consider giving him Crown of Command.

Put the H.E Lord in a block of Spears if you end up giving the LvL 2 Life C.C otherwise put lord into the S.M unit.

With this list, I would either run Shadow, or H.E like you have. As this can give you some really tasty spells. Flames, Shield and for this type of list, espically Curse of Arrow attraction.

Pceskis. If your looking for more 'diehard' list ideas, check out this post: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287811

Auraknight
31-12-2010, 23:40
I didn't think mages could take the reaver bow, as they cannot normally take longbows? Anyway, I don't feel like I need the crown of command, and I think Jewel of the Dusk is better than silver wand. What do you think to taking Lore of Death on the other mage, it seems quite potent with this list?

Trains_Get_Robbed
01-01-2011, 22:50
^^^ Imo, they normally can't take Long Bows, however, the Reaver Bow is a magic weapon, and therefore the mage can take it.