PDA

View Full Version : Empire Infantry Combo

Hypnotoad
18-03-2006, 01:10
What is the best weapons combination for parent/detachment units of Empire troops?

fubukii
18-03-2006, 01:11
alot of ppl like swordsmen with a detechment of freecomp or halbs.

Crazy Harborc
18-03-2006, 02:41
Experience has taught me to use 20 or more spearmen in parent units with two detachments of 10ea. of swordsmen. One detachment of swords and one of archers (skirmishing in front of the parent unit) has worked too. That was against a mostly T3 enemy.

Hypnotoad........I'm going to guess you're new at playing an Empire army. IMHO, learning and using the Special Detachment rule is VERY important. The enemy charges a parent unit, one or both of it's detachments can counter charge the attacker's flank on the attacker's turn:D Yes there's more. Give the Special Detachment rules a very good read. Detachments can and do win HtHs.

WLBjork
18-03-2006, 12:38
They do, hence, when I remember, I use counter-detachments. They don't benefit from the rules, but they can prevent a detachment charge, which makes them worthwhile.

Halberdiers tend to make good detachments as well.

Crazy Harborc
18-03-2006, 21:19
Sadly, only parent units of halberds are allowed to add shields. That said, if most of an Empire armies opponents don't have many/any shooters, shields for a better save from shooting won't be worth much.

No matter what is chosen in the way of units and detachments, IMHO, a "ONE version only" roster will not work against ALL opponents. It's a very good idea to have a couple of "extra units" and a choice of rosters to vary your army to suit fighting a different opponent now and then.

gunlinetastic
18-03-2006, 21:20
The best combination by far is handgunners with handgunner detachments.

Keller
19-03-2006, 01:39
I find that Halberdiers and Free Coms make the best combat detachments. The S4 of halberds is helpful, but statistically, Free Coms will cause more wounds agaisnt any target. Since Free Coms are also the cheapest unit, they are probably your best option, and fluffy too!

I usually take Halberdiers as detachments for Spearmen, Free Coms for Halberdiers, Swordsmen (rarely used), and Greatswordsmen units. That provides a good mix of strength and plenty of attacks.

I dislike swordsmen for detachments for two reasons. Firstly, while they are well equipped, that makes them expensive. I would rather spend 5 or 6 points a model than 7 for swordsmen, but I also prefer detachments of 10-12, where the points add up. Secondly, Swordsmen are a defensive unit. Detachments, which will be striking first, need to cause as much damage as possible. Preventing wounds to themselves is good, but I would rather not take the attacks at all by killing the models on the counter-charge.

Ranged detachments can also be quite helpful. Archers are superb for keeping up with a moving line, as they can move and fire. They also make excellent screens, due to being skirmishers, and can cover your units from enemy attacks. If you play a more static game, Crossbowmen or Handgunners are a good option.

Chiron
19-03-2006, 01:39
The best combination by far is handgunners with handgunner detachments.

nonsense, its handgunners with crossbow detachments and only when used to support a couple of main infantry regiments

although i suspect telling you this will lead to an argument as you insist battles are won by shooting alone (you must play a very boring game)

MarcoPollo
20-03-2006, 01:49
OK enough "gunline" bashing. That is very boring.

As detachments go I can see the virtues of handgunners with any shooting detachments.

But with an attempt for balance I use spearmen with handgunners. Throw in valten and mach them up the field. I don't just sit back and wait for my enemy to come to me. That is unsporting and does not interest me. If I am going to play, I want to see hand to hand. But shooting will help and should be included with empire.

Pravus
20-03-2006, 11:44
Spearmen are the natural choice for parent units I would think. Certainly there's little point in detachments having spears when you'll be wanting them to counter charge thus losing the second rank attack.

I would use 20 - 25 spearmen with 10 free company and 5 crossbows/handgunners as detachments. but then I play Chaos - so what would I know?

Courting Dotanuki
20-03-2006, 11:55
I have always believed that one of the better combos for this would be something along the lines of a unit of 20 kitted out swordsman, as they are a bit of a sponge unit with good defense, with a unit of 10 halberds on one side, and 10 handgunners/crossbowmen on the other. Then stand and shoot can perhaps whittle away a rank bonus, the swordsmen will survive most charges from medium strength units and the halberds can launch a fairly good counter charge with their good strength. I don't actually play Empire though so I'm not sure how effective this combo might be, a it sounds like it might take up a fair chunk of the board, and may not fair well against more than one medium strength unit at once.