PDA

View Full Version : tomb Kings vs. ?

Tarliyn
29-12-2010, 22:39
So my girlfriend as agreed to learn warhammer and the army she has chosen is tomb kings. That works well for me since I am unsure if she will continue playing and I always wanted a tomb kings army; hurray for having an excuse to start an army :p .

So my question is:

Since tomb kings aren't the strongest contender right now what army would you recommend to go against them. Here are the options:

Already have:
Lizards
Ogres
Empire
Dwarfs
Orcs

Willing to Start:
High Elfs
Beastmen
maybe maybe WoC or DoC

I would prefer to use an army I have at this time since I will be helping her money and time wise build her tomb kings but if one of the other willing to start armies would e a perfect pairing I am not opposed to starting one of them. Also I would prefer not to do either of the chaos armies unless they would be perfect, which I don't think they are anyhow. I think we will be doing some sort of escalation thing in order to better distribute costs.

Any thoughts on what army would be a good paring for tomb kings?

Korraz
29-12-2010, 22:44
All of them, every single one. Really. Just don't make a killer-list. TKs are equally...impaired against all of them.

linuvian
29-12-2010, 22:51
High Elves are brutal vs the tomb kings. A good friend of mine has tomb kings and we play quite a bit - and he's pretty good. He never stands a chance when I bring my HE.

Reason - The expensive cost of the TK are pretty close to the cost of the elves - but the elves can kill more than the TK can raise. The TK also don't have alot of high strength attacks to take advantage of the T3 elves. Combine that with a potent HE magic phase, and the TK dont' have much chance...

I think beastmen would be a good matchup in my opinion.

Lordy
29-12-2010, 22:51
Orcs and Empire would be pretty good, just tone down the Warmachine count on both armies.
Her being rock lobbered to death or character sniped making her crumble is hardly going to keep her motivated... on the other hand you get your TK army quicker :D

Beastmen would be a perfect choice i would imagine, they're almost as weak as TK and are a pretty straight forward army to learn against.

bluemage
29-12-2010, 23:41
Just use one of your armies, but make sure your list is very weak, and maybe only uses 80% of its points. Maybe even less, and take it easy on her. Run bad units like yhettees and whatnot.

Tarliyn
30-12-2010, 00:08
Yeah I figured High Elfs would be a big no. :(

I have some beastmen already so if I am going to start a new one that would be a good one to start as far as money goes. That was also the 2nd choice army she had (well that and Wood Elfs... all girlfriends wanna play wood elfs though :p )

There is some wisdom in using one I have already though. It will be easier to make a tame list in an army I am used to and the cost would obviously be cheaper.

Either way I will be going easy on her, taking very very tame lists, and most likely even letting her win for bit ;) . She hates loosing.

Well thanks for the insight guys. I am now thinking if I start a new army I will go with Beastmen and if I keep you using my current ones I would probably use orcs or ogres. If you anyone has anything else by all means share it.

bluemage
30-12-2010, 00:11
One thing with taking beastmen, is if she brings a Khilda(mispelled) poison arrow gunline, you won't have to go quite as easy on her.

Tarliyn
30-12-2010, 00:19
No special characters

I hate special characters, lol.

Urgat
30-12-2010, 05:25
Just use one of your armies, but make sure your list is very weak, and maybe only uses 80% of its points. Maybe even less, and take it easy on her. Run bad units like yhettees and whatnot.

Yeties versus mummies, quite a theme :p

bert n ernie
30-12-2010, 09:51
I think that you could take Orcs, as long as you don't over use Waagh or your own shooting.
Empire with a fair bit of combat would also be good.

In a way it depends on how much she is willing to have you help her build the list. There's some good options out there for TK. Also bear in mind that they could be coming out with a new book in about a year, so make sure she is getting only models she likes for now, so she won't be angry if they are replaced.

Malorian
30-12-2010, 17:53
Build a ushabti horde for the tomb kings.

Now they are ready to take on anything :D

At the end of the day the question isn't what army to start because either way she will be a new play so skill matters a lot more, and I would assume it would take a while for her to meet your skill.

As such it is up to you to tone down your list AND skill to make for a good learning environment.

smithers
30-12-2010, 19:34
I agree with Malorian. See this as a chance to try out fun and wacky lists that you'd hesitate to play against experienced players and would never consider taking to a tournament. The games will a ton of fun if your GF gets into it.

LordZombie
30-12-2010, 20:51
I managed to get my girlfriend to play fantasy. She choose Daemons of Chaos, which was good as I have an army already. She played most of her first games against to get a feel for the game and it was hit/ miss on wins. She won more than lost, but when she played the others in the group, she still did pretty good. You just got to be careful the game does seem too easy for her or when she plays others she will be let down or know you took it easy on her.