PDA

View Full Version : Bloodletter plastics - a pain in the arsenal!

Pharolyx
31-12-2010, 07:27
These guys just won't pair up with each other.... at all! Now I'm regretting not sticking with Horrors/Daemonettes only. I suppose it also doesn't help that the unit is 6x5... :cries:

Anybody else find these guys really annoying to rank up?

Are there any other units that are worse for you? After thirteen years of playing this game, these guys are the worst so far for me.

Crube
31-12-2010, 07:29
Not news, not rumours.

Thread moved

Crube
The Warseer Inquisition

dragonet111
31-12-2010, 08:38
Yes they are but it's not impossible.

My first box of minis was the previous warriors of chaos for warhammer 5ed and I build it quickly to look cool and when I had to rank them up it was totally impossible now I'm much more careful:).

I field two units of 15 bloodletters and they rank up perfectly. You just have to plan everything, glue one model give him a number and then glue the model next to him, make sure they rank well. all of that again and again.

decker_cky
31-12-2010, 08:40
Plan for reforms too. ;)

DenWhalen
31-12-2010, 09:11
The plastic horrors are much worse... I'm working on a big block of them now, and they don't want to play nice.

Putty
31-12-2010, 09:29
i have to rank up 30 of them in 2 blocks... they do rank up in a fixed way... and numbering the bottom of their bases helps with the clean up post-game.

dragonet111
31-12-2010, 09:35
The plastic horrors are much worse... I'm working on a big block of them now, and they don't want to play nice.

I agree.

I built a horde including the Changelin and it was nightmarish :)

TheYoungin
31-12-2010, 09:47
The plastic kits of the black orcs are near impossible to rank up i wasnt thinking while I was building them. But something that I do now is after you build each model make sure the parts from the next model will fit together with it. Then numbr them on the bottom of their bases, so when your taking them out of your BATTLE FOAM, you know which ones go where.

I hope this was somewhat helpfull.

Urgat
31-12-2010, 11:26
I don't bother with most of that anymore, I build custom bases now. Last rank got lone minis for casualty removal, but other than that, I got like 5 gobs per base now :p Your life is much simpler when you do that, I tell you :D

Morkash
31-12-2010, 11:36
Jup, Urgat is right. Monster bases or custom bases are great for hordes. I worked quite a time to get my Black Orks into ranking up, even got the old metal musician/standardbearer...but they rank up now. :)

Lord of Divine Slaughter
31-12-2010, 12:24
Also mounting multiple models on oversize bases helps with lining them up - and makes it easy to remove multiple casualties :)

DaemonReign
31-12-2010, 12:36

*lol* I know.. They are IMPOSSIBLE wereas the Bloodletters are merely tedious.

I was in luck though cause I already had 60 of the metal horrors, so when I had painted the 60 plastic ones I "mixed" the old and new models together into two horde-units.. Every other model is metal, every other model is plastic.. First of all the units turned out looking really varied which was nice, secondly actually fitting those units together was "only" about as time-stealing as trying to reform a horde of Bloodletters.

As for Bloodletters.. For a while I tried "numbering" the models as I glued them together but that was in 7th when they walked 6 wide. That number system doesn't do me much good in 8th where 10-wide is the general "rule".

URGAT - Yeah I can imagine gathering models on larger bases is great. I've been planning on starting to do that with the next batch of core-stuff I put together. In the DoC range it'll only work with Daemonettes though because Bloodletters and Horrors are damn near impossible to fit into a unit one by one - trying to fit in four or five at the time would just be a nosebleed. Oh yeah.. i suppose the Plaguebears would work too.. haha.. not buying any more of those until there are new rules/models for 'em though.

Triple7s
31-12-2010, 14:49
Ive put together 80 Bloodletters so I know what this feels like. A little tip - do the first rank, then put down the bases for the next few ranks. Glue your bloodletters to the base while its already on the movement tray, then mark his number and rank on the underside of the base ie. 2A, 3B etc. Should make things easier.

Haravikk
31-12-2010, 15:11
I don't think many regiments go together perfectly, Bloodletters aren't great, Dryads are terrible but fortunately they're skirmishers most of the time.
It takes a horrible amount of planning to do it just right, it's doable, but you have to try and decide on a semi-uniform way of positioning the models, i.e - each model tries to leave certain parts of their base empty as space that other models can encroach onto due to flailing weapons or whatever.

Surprisingly I've found most of the Skaven plastics to be by far the easiest to rank up properly.

Pharolyx
31-12-2010, 15:14
Ive put together 80 Bloodletters so I know what this feels like. A little tip - do the first rank, then put down the bases for the next few ranks. Glue your bloodletters to the base while its already on the movement tray, then mark his number and rank on the underside of the base ie. 2A, 3B etc. Should make things easier.

Yep, that's what I do with all my models. But I've actually had more luck with the Horrors than the Bloodletters.

Jind_Singh
31-12-2010, 17:05
lol, they are only a pain the FIRST time you build them! The issue comes with some of the swords - they just want to poke the bloodletter in front and will then not rank up! What I did with those 1 or 2 sword types was to assemble the entire mini BEFORE gluing him to the base - and when I did you have to make sure to glue them so the sword becomes parallel to the side of the base, and almost running ALONG the edge of the base if you view it from overhead. This way it harmlessly passes the bloodletter to the front, and will end up being under the dude in fronts elbow.

Then they rank up just fine - no need to number them at all!

And no need to build them rank by rank then either - I was just banging them out willy nilly once you know which sword arms give you grief, and what the 'trick angle' is to glue them onto the base.

I should know - I have over a 100 of the buggers!

Pharolyx
31-12-2010, 18:48
lol, they are only a pain the FIRST time you build them! The issue comes with some of the swords - they just want to poke the bloodletter in front and will then not rank up! What I did with those 1 or 2 sword types was to assemble the entire mini BEFORE gluing him to the base - and when I did you have to make sure to glue them so the sword becomes parallel to the side of the base, and almost running ALONG the edge of the base if you view it from overhead. This way it harmlessly passes the bloodletter to the front, and will end up being under the dude in fronts elbow.

Then they rank up just fine - no need to number them at all!

And no need to build them rank by rank then either - I was just banging them out willy nilly once you know which sword arms give you grief, and what the 'trick angle' is to glue them onto the base.

I should know - I have over a 100 of the buggers!

Hmmm... I think I understand what you're saying, but it's a little hard to visualize. Then again, I'm half asleep.

100? Suddenly my "horde" of 30 seems a little tiny. Maybe when I build a 10k army with my brother, I'll have a unit of 100.

Hochdorf
31-12-2010, 18:56
Clearly it's a Slaaneshi plot to get everyone to buy those nice, easily ranked Demonettes instead.

On a side note, I've decided to re-name my Bloodletter champion Wenger the Vengeful... in honour of someone else who could be described as a bit of a "pain in the Arsenal". ;)

Pharolyx
31-12-2010, 19:39
Clearly it's a Slaaneshi plot to get everyone to buy those nice, easily ranked Demonettes instead.

On a side note, I've decided to re-name my Bloodletter champion Wenger the Vengeful... in honour of someone else who could be described as a bit of a "pain in the Arsenal". ;)

I love how easily Daemonettes rank up... I have over 50 of them and every single one was a pleasure (no pun intended) to put together.

On a side note, here are the names of my important Daemons:

Bloodthirster: Mr. Buttons
Herald of Tzeentch: Harold
Herald of Tzeentch 2: Clifford
Herald of Khorne: Timmy
Herald of Khorne 2: Sam Elliot
Herald of Slaanesh: Tiffani Amber Thiessen

All of them are addressed as such when I play in local games, even tournaments.

R-Love
31-12-2010, 19:49
Bloodthirster: Mr. Buttons
Herald of Tzeentch: Harold
Herald of Tzeentch 2: Clifford
Herald of Khorne: Timmy
Herald of Khorne 2: Sam Elliot
Herald of Slaanesh: Tiffani Amber Thiessen

All of them are addressed as such when I play in local games, even tournaments.

As awesome as Mr. Buttons is, I'd think Clifford would be better for the 'Thirster...especially if you gave him the dog-like head :D

nzdarkelf
31-12-2010, 22:41
Here's a tip for ranking up the Bloodletters - Don't start by glueing them onto their final bases. In my case I use Gale Force 9 magnetic bases. So first up I trimmed down the GW supplied bases so I was left with a flat peice of plastic no bigger than the top of a 20mm base. I didn't worry about keeping a nice tidy shape. I made up a 20 fig unit. Once all were assembled then I started the ranking up process taking it one rank at a time. I simply glued the GW base straight onto the top of the GF9 base. When you 'flock up' the bases you won't see this. I diliberately sought out the potentially 'difficult' models and found spots in the regiment where their sword would fit between the guys in the rank in front, etc. So I didn't center them on the GF9 bases, and at times the GW base needed more trimming. It took some effort and was a pain but it worked out. Of course make sure you number the bases so you can reassemble the regiment correctly.

DaemonReign
01-01-2011, 20:02

Nice observations there. I will certainly make use of this advice.

Because I was actually thinking of dealing with those 1 or 2 arms that you mention the good old fashioned way: knife and greenstuff.

Simple give them a slightly different pose.

Your tactic probably beats that by a fair measure though.

Maelstorm
01-01-2011, 20:56
You havenīt seen nothing until you have tried to rank up 7 chaos knights. They are way to bulky to rank up nicely.
Anyone recognize it?

Jind_Singh
01-01-2011, 21:17
Actually Chaos Knights are a complete pain in the Arsenal! They don't like ranking up in any shape form or fashion! That's why it's been such a relief lately as I am building 40K stuff - the only thing you have to worry about is the overall pose and weighting of the model - does it feel right?

Chaos Knights though....***shudders***

@ DaemonReign - By far the easiest way! No need for green stuff, magnets, ranking them in a numbered order (which means longer putting away/setting up time), banging them out is the best way - which is funny as you'd think that would only be appropriate for Deamonettes of Slaanesh, not bloodthirsty Bloodletters of Khorne!! (wink wink!)

big squig
02-01-2011, 01:50
round bases. problem solved.

DaemonReign
02-01-2011, 10:36
You havenīt seen nothing until you have tried to rank up 7 chaos knights. They are way to bulky to rank up nicely.
Anyone recognize it?

Haha.. It just so happens that we got 7 Chaos Knights, black-sprayed, collecting dust at our gaming house.. I guess one of the reason nobody bothers painting them is the (quite obvious) fact that they simply cannot be ut next to each other... Bloodcrushers would fit just as well on cav-bases really.

@ DaemonReign - By far the easiest way! No need for green stuff, magnets, ranking them in a numbered order (which means longer putting away/setting up time), banging them out is the best way - which is funny as you'd think that would only be appropriate for Deamonettes of Slaanesh, not bloodthirsty Bloodletters of Khorne!! (wink wink!)

Hehe... Yeah I think I will follow your advice. The thing was, I wanted to just the knife and greenstuff for another reason as well - I had this thought that one might be able to make 60 "backrank" Bloodletters that ALL pretty much have that pose of sticking their swords straight up in the air (there's one or two actual poses where they do this holding their second hand infront of the hilt as if they are grabbing it with two hands - I really like this pose instead of the "champ-pose" which to me is saying "here is my chest, hit it!!").

But in the end I'll just **** up trying to carve a bunch of new joints for those plastic swordarms so I think I will play it safe. :)

Jind_Singh
02-01-2011, 10:55
Kind of off-topic but at the same time it's not...

The BEST unit of Bloodletters I have EVER seen, or will ever see, was the one were....

When you put the unit together, ranked up, it's a work of art.

The rear rank has white skinned Bloodletters with red viens. As you move closer to the front rank the ranks get more darker with red, until the front rank is almost black with deep red high lights and gore.

The dude who painted them did it because it represents the Bloodletters becoming more darker as they slay more enemy, and get promoted to the front ranks. The rear ranks are the newest Bloodletters to join the horde! What an amazing concept and they looked STUNNING on the table!

Ah if only I had the talent to do that!

Urgat
02-01-2011, 10:58
Anyone recognize it?

Bah, knights, you just need to put one more in front, one more on the back, one on a pile of bodies, one on a -
You see the idea, just don't place them on the default rails.

Pharolyx
02-01-2011, 22:22
Kind of off-topic but at the same time it's not...

The BEST unit of Bloodletters I have EVER seen, or will ever see, was the one were....

When you put the unit together, ranked up, it's a work of art.

The rear rank has white skinned Bloodletters with red viens. As you move closer to the front rank the ranks get more darker with red, until the front rank is almost black with deep red high lights and gore.

The dude who painted them did it because it represents the Bloodletters becoming more darker as they slay more enemy, and get promoted to the front ranks. The rear ranks are the newest Bloodletters to join the horde! What an amazing concept and they looked STUNNING on the table!

Ah if only I had the talent to do that!

Considering I haven't painted my letters yet, I may utilize this concept. It sounds awesome! But I was thinking red for the new Bloodletters and black for the seasoned veterans. The blades could reflect as well - oranges and reds for the blades not yet slaked with blood, then they get more and more black the more blood they've been coated with.

Yeah! I'm going with that!

dragonet111
02-01-2011, 22:48
In an old white dwarf there was a Vampire Count army with a zombie unit where the zombies were coming out of their graves.

I wonder if a unit of Bloodletters modeled to represent the daemons coming out of the blood from the dead on the battlefield would look good.

Pharolyx
02-01-2011, 23:46
In an old white dwarf there was a Vampire Count army with a zombie unit where the zombies were coming out of their graves.

I wonder if a unit of Bloodletters modeled to represent the daemons coming out of the blood from the dead on the battlefield would look good.

I'd imagine it would look good, but I'd also imagine it'd be very difficult/time-consuming as well. Then again, no customizations are worth doing if they're not difficult/time-consuming.

DaemonReign
03-01-2011, 22:58

Sounds like an awesome concept.. I'm 60 Daemonettes away from painting a big horde of Bloodletters so I will definately do something like this..

Bloodletters should lend themselves well for doing "unit-conversions" and themes, really, 'cause they are at base very simple to paint compared to even other DoC models.

And nice models too. I bought 6 boxes a few months ago and now I'm already itching to buy 2 more boxes before even having gotten started.. I made the mistake of making a horde-movement tray for 80 models.. hehe..

Bah, knights, you just need to put one more in front, one more on the back, one on a pile of bodies, one on a -
You see the idea, just don't place them on the default rails.

Well that's true Urgat but you know what.. You could say the same exact thing about Bloodcrushers, couldn't you? ;)

RMacDeezy
03-01-2011, 23:15
I'd imagine it would look good, but I'd also imagine it'd be very difficult/time-consuming as well. Then again, no customizations are worth doing if they're not difficult/time-consuming.

getting the blood on the bases to look glossy and wet would be the most difficult part i would think. a buddy of mine did his bloodletters with white-ish skin and modeled flames on their backs and limbs with green stuff and a fire-blade homage to squalie's bloodletters. they look great, the concept of a horde of bloodcrazed, murderous daemons all on fire with flaming swords is just too cool.

Pharolyx
03-01-2011, 23:20
getting the blood on the bases to look glossy and wet would be the most difficult part i would think. a buddy of mine did his bloodletters with white-ish skin and modeled flames on their backs and limbs with green stuff and a fire-blade homage to squalie's bloodletters. they look great, the concept of a horde of bloodcrazed, murderous daemons all on fire with flaming swords is just too cool.

See I'd do something like that, but the prospect of doing that much green stuff work really frightens me. I suck at using green stuff. :(

RMacDeezy
03-01-2011, 23:31
these (http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=5301) guys are pretty sick too

as are these (http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=6519)

Pharolyx
04-01-2011, 00:44
these (http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=5301) guys are pretty sick too

as are these (http://z7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php?showtopic=6519)

The first guy is ridiculous with the blood pool effects! Not sure how much I like the glossy finish on the creatures themselves, but the basing is amazing!

Sleazy
04-01-2011, 23:24
dammit guys. I was making really good progress on my Skaven and you go and show me these! Now I wanna go back to my daemons.

Pharolyx
05-01-2011, 05:56
dammit guys. I was making really good progress on my Skaven and you go and show me these! Now I wanna go back to my daemons.

Well, if the shoe fits. Wait, that does't apply here... :shifty:

DaemonReign
06-01-2011, 05:41
On a slightly related issue:

There's the Skulltaker model, the Forgeworld Herald (that comes with the Khorne Prince), the Avatars of War Demon Hero, the Lord of Khorne on Jugger (easily converted to Letter on Crusher)...

What else would you guys get for a generic HoK on foot?

mrtn
06-01-2011, 13:15
On a slightly related issue:

There's the Skulltaker model, the Forgeworld Herald (that comes with the Khorne Prince), the Avatars of War Demon Hero, the Lord of Khorne on Jugger (easily converted to Letter on Crusher)...

What else would you guys get for a generic HoK on foot?
Converted WoC models? The old "standing on a mound of skulls and sticking out my axe" guy should be able to look good with a head swap.

I've also seen a nice conversion with bestigor plastics.

DaemonReign
06-01-2011, 14:56
I've also seen a nice conversion with bestigor plastics.

Wow. It just so happens that we got a little unit of mostly unpainted Bestigors at our club-house. There's no actual Beastman army beyond that so I think I will be allowed to kit-bash one or two of them.

That Warrior-Hero on a mound of skulls wasn't a bad idea either man, it's just (just from looking at the pic) I suspect the model is a tad too small in size to be a Herald next to Bloodletters.

Thanks!

mrtn
06-01-2011, 16:13
If you do a search in the main painting forum here you might find the bestigor conversion, I think that's where I saw it.