PDA

View Full Version : 365: Screw Sparta... This. Is. MANTIC!

gaarew
01-01-2011, 01:21
Right well, new year, new challenge, new plog.

I've taken stock of my not inconsiderable backlog of Mantic minis (1301 at the moment, multiple orders in transit, Limited Editions not included...) and I've set myself the challenge of painting an average of 1 miniature per day of 2011, hence 365.

This will seriously challenge my complete lack of willpower, xbox addiction and general laziness. Still, I think it can be done. I really need to put a good start in though, as little lady number 3 is due mid February, so that will kill my hobby time.

As I really couldn't work out what to do, and wasn't sure about painting so many models for one army, knowing I'll be tempted by future releases, I figured the best place to start would be with the Mhorgoth's Revenge box. So, over the last couple of weeks I've really blitzed my lair, cleared away a bunch of stuff, and built up the box contents, plus a few other models to boot.

Mhorgoth's Revenge (114 Infantry + 2 Warmachines)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic166.jpg

Some extra Dwarfs (honestly, they are. Just squint a bit...)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic168.jpg

Some extra Undead (and Mhorgoth himself)
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic170.jpg

The astute amongst you may notice some of the minis look started... Yeah, well, coloured primer doesn't count ;) plus, it has been just that wee bit too chilly to get stuff primed the last few weeks, so I guess I'll be starting with some Ghouls and Skeletons then.

See, I had worked out a nice plan, I'd even got as far as June, but I know I won't stick to it. So, box set first, followed by at least one Hero for each force, then I was thinking about bulking out the units to 20 models each (30 for the Zombies), after that, who knows, I'll have changed my mind anyway that's for sure.

With any luck, there should also be a nice display cabinet going spare at work, so, if I can get my paws on it, I reckon it will be a really good motivator, as it really sucks to look at a pretty empty cabinet.

Hopefully, by the end of the year, I'll have knocked a fair whack off of the backlog, or at least painted enough minis to cover any new acquisitions...

So, that is really about it for now, I should probably get started seeing as I'm working today...

gaarew
01-01-2011, 01:23
Finished

Elves

Undead

Mhorgoth the Faceless
Revenant King
Undead Army Standard
Ghoul Regiment (20)
Skeleton Regiment (20) - Banner, Musician
Skeleton Phalanx Regiment (20) - Banner, Musician
Skeleton Phalanx Troop (10) to be added to above unit.
Revenant Regiment (20) - Banner, Musician
Zombie Half-Regiment (15)
Zombie Regiment (30)
2 x Zombie Horde (60)
2 x Wraiths (5e)
Balefire Catapult + Crew

Dwarfs

Khaos Dwarfs

To Do List

Elves

40 Spearmen
40 Bowmen
10 Bowmen - metals
40 Sea Guard
40 Scouts
15 Cavalry
10 Palace Guard
4 Heroes
Mage on Elven Steed
4 Cats
Lord on Dragon
4 Drakon Riders
2 Drakon Lords
10 Bolt Throwers
1 Fire Thrower

Undead

2 x Revenant King
2 x Necromancer
2 x Liche King
5 x Skeleton Regiment
2 x Skeleton Spear Regiment
2 x Skeleton Archer Troop
2 x Zombie Half Regiment
3 x Zombie Regiment
1 x Zombie Horde
A pile of Zombie halves...
Revenant Troop
4 x Revenant Regiment
3 x Ghoul Troop
8 x Ghoul Regiments
6 x Wraiths
Revenant Cavalry Troop
2 x Revenant Cavalry Regiment
7 x Balefire Catapult + Crew
Vampire Knights Troop

Dwarfs
20 Ironclads - Banner, Musician
10 Ironwatch - Rifles
10 Ironwatch - Rifles
5 Shieldbreakers
Ironbelcher Cannon + Crew

1 x Dwarf King
1 x Berserker Lord
3 x Warsmith
1 x Dwarf Army Standard
8 x Ironclad Regiment
7 x Ironwatch Regiment
Shieldbreaker Half Regiment
2 x Shieldbreaker Regiment
2 x Ironguard Troop
2 x Berserker Regiment
2 x Ranger Regiment
11 Undesignated Ironbelchers
3 x Ironbelcher Cannons + Crew
3 x Ironbelcher Organ Guns + Crew
1 x Fire Belcher + Crew
A bunch more Crew...

Abyssal Dwarfs

Orcs

2 x Krudger on Gore
4 x Goblin Sneek
2 x Flagger
2 x Gore Rider Regiment
1 x Morax Regiment
4 x Greatax Regiment
hell knows how many Orcs...

Other stuff

Twilight Kin Sorceress
4 Goblin Mawbeasts and handlers

Da Eavy
01-01-2011, 01:28
I'll be watching!
Best of luck to you and I've every faith in your abilities!
Happy New Year bud!

Darsc Zacal
01-01-2011, 02:21
I applaud your ambition. If any of the Fanatics can accomplish this I do believe it would be you.

Looking forward to following your progress. :)

Robert
01-01-2011, 02:43
Good luck, buddy! My resolution is to paint at least 5 models a week!

lord marcus
01-01-2011, 05:27
Subscribed. I will also be starting a plog. (tommorow, when I can get pics)

strewart
01-01-2011, 05:50
This should be interesting. Good luck gaarew, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Alsharoth
01-01-2011, 10:08
Good luck to you, thats alot of work to do (3000 odd)
Need to keep an eye on you.

basher
01-01-2011, 11:59
good luck there. been in your situation a few times bench full off minis and little time or painters block (to witch i am suffering at the momment). i want to start kings but i'm waiting for the orcs will sub and watch your progress

congratullations on number3

Roostmanuva
01-01-2011, 12:42
Looking forward to this one.

Just got a big box of mantic undead in the post, and I have to say the zombies and ghouls in particular look amazing can't wait to get started on them!!

Anyway good luck on your 365 models it will be a challenge with another little one coming. I too have another baby coming at the end of the month! Exciting times!

EmperorNorton
01-01-2011, 18:44
I wish you the best of luck with this endeavour.

gaarew
02-01-2011, 20:40
I'll be watching!
Best of luck to you and I've every faith in your abilities!
Happy New Year bud!

Happy New Year dude. Thanks for the faith, I'll try and make sure it isn't misplaced.

I applaud your ambition. If any of the Fanatics can accomplish this I do believe it would be you.
Looking forward to following your progress. :)

Cheers D. I'm doing my bit to paint shedloads of models, so you don't have to... ;)

Good luck, buddy! My resolution is to paint at least 5 models a week!

Cheers Robert. Good luck with your 5 a week, 240 models would be a pretty substantial force.

Subscribed. I will also be starting a plog. (tommorow, when I can get pics)

Cheers LM. I'll try and make the content worth the subscription fee.

This should be interesting. Good luck gaarew, and I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Welcome aboard strew, I'll do my best to get some eye candy up soon.

Good luck to you, thats alot of work to do (3000 odd)
Need to keep an eye on you.

Errrr, you might have snuck an extra 0 in there dude. I know I can hit a good production speed when I get into my stride but 3000 models in a year might be a little optimistic. :p

good luck there. been in your situation a few times bench full off minis and little time or painters block (to witch i am suffering at the momment). i want to start kings but i'm waiting for the orcs will sub and watch your progress
congratullations on number3

Cheers basher. It's not painters block, more spoilt for choice I think. I'm sure there will be some Orcy related goodness in the months to come.

I'm trying to persuade Mrs G to consider Magnus should little lady 3 turn out to be little lad 1, but she's having none of it. Asphyxious didn't go down well either...

Looking forward to this one.
Just got a big box of mantic undead in the post, and I have to say the zombies and ghouls in particular look amazing can't wait to get started on them!!
Anyway good luck on your 365 models it will be a challenge with another little one coming. I too have another baby coming at the end of the month! Exciting times!

Exciting times indeed. I'm looking forwards to this myself, the 'wet' undead are more of a draw than the Skeletons really.

Good luck with the impending fatherhood. Or, welcome back to the days when you realise that sleep is an over-rated commodity.

I wish you the best of luck with this endeavour.

Thanks very much Emperor.

Well, the time I got in from work this morning, I'd already been up for 24 hours, so didn't get much done, other than painting some bases. I figured I'd start with the Ghoul unit, just because they were the smaller of the 2 primed ones. So, bases were done, and managed to get a bit cloth work done on the unit, and I'm heading out to work soon. Plan for the morning is to finish the cloth and wraps, do the eyes, teeth, 'piercings,' grass up the bases and the obligatory wash. Weather dependant, I might even get them varnished, which would mean I could gore them up and call them done. Here's hoping. Pictures should surface in the morning.

gaarew
03-01-2011, 19:28
No update this morning as I was busy finishing these off.

Still have to varnish them, and gore them up. Picture is a bit dark as I'm using my camera, don't want to get too much detail as it really shows to funked up primer...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic173.jpg

So, 10 down, 355 to go. Or 2.96% of the way there already. :D

Next up - Skeleton Regiment, purely because they are primed.

lord marcus
04-01-2011, 02:53
speaking of which, what color do you plan to use for the cloth of your skeletons, oh and the shields?

Darsc Zacal
04-01-2011, 03:57
What are you using for the "dead grass" effect on the bases? Is it just a beige static grass? Or something else?

I was thinking of doing a similar dead grass effect for my undead army... When I get 'round to them. :shifty:

mrtn
04-01-2011, 04:10
Nice ghouls, good luck with your undertaking.

gaarew
04-01-2011, 06:38
speaking of which, what color do you plan to use for the cloth of your skeletons, oh and the shields?

I'm thinking the same green as seen on the Ghouls, which is VGC Extra Opaque Heavy Blackgreen. Purely on the assumption that it will cover bone primer better than Dark Angels Green will.

What are you using for the "dead grass" effect on the bases? Is it just a beige static grass? Or something else?

I was thinking of doing a similar dead grass effect for my undead army... When I get 'round to them. :shifty:

It is 'Dead Grass' by Games Workshop. If you are planning on getting some before you start work on your Ghouls, I'd suggest getting it now. I'm not sure it will still be available in 2047, and if it is, the price will be astronomical. ;)

Nice ghouls, good luck with your undertaking.

Cheers mrtn. I don't need luck, only high caffeine content beverages. :)

EmperorNorton
04-01-2011, 12:22
Way to go, four days past and already ten minis down.
Are you in danger of finishing prematurely?

Chicken Pig
04-01-2011, 16:47
Personal question there Emperor Norton :eek:

I have only just spotted this Gaar, great work already and even better news on the new baby as well, congratulations. I think going at a rate higher than one miniature a day will pay off once the newborn is here.

I think the Ghouls look great, and the primer does not look that bad. Given the weather you have had north of the border I am shocked that you have been able to prime anything.

Best of luck, and keep it up.

Getifa Ubazza
04-01-2011, 17:21
I really like that green and was concidering a similar colour, But wasn't sure if I wanted to do it on my Undead or my Dwarfs. I wasn't to sure about Mantic's Ghouls before. I'm glad to say my fears were unfounded. Well done sir.

gaarew
04-01-2011, 21:13
Way to go, four days past and already ten minis down.
Are you in danger of finishing prematurely?

Hmmm, you's have to ask Mrs G. She's always complaining about how much time I spend inside. The games room.

I have only just spotted this Gaar, great work already and even better news on the new baby as well, congratulations. I think going at a rate higher than one miniature a day will pay off once the newborn is here.

I think the Ghouls look great, and the primer does not look that bad. Given the weather you have had north of the border I am shocked that you have been able to prime anything.

Best of luck, and keep it up.

Cheers CP, yep, the plan is to crack on with as much as possible between now and her due date. Careful time management means I'll be looking at 2 weeks Paternity leave, followed by 2 weeks holiday, so, I should find the time to paint at least a few models.

I really like that green and was concidering a similar colour, But wasn't sure if I wanted to do it on my Undead or my Dwarfs. I wasn't to sure about Mantic's Ghouls before. I'm glad to say my fears were unfounded. Well done sir.

Thank you. Perhaps you could do your Dwarfs green then, that way, when you drag yourself to Stirling Wargamers, it won't look like the army is suffering from infighting.

I managed to do all the bases on the Skeleton regiment this morning, bar the final drybrush of Bleached Bone, and have blocked in the green on a few of them. The HappyDance was performed when it was discovered that it did indeed cover the bone primer in one coat.

Darsc Zacal
04-01-2011, 23:12
Hmmm, you's have to ask Mrs G. She's always complaining about how much time I spend inside. The games room.

:shifty::eyebrows::D

Gaarew you should really guild up and visit the Wastes. You'd fit right in. ;)

gaarew
05-01-2011, 07:07
:shifty::eyebrows::D

Gaarew you should really guild up and visit the Wastes. You'd fit right in. ;)

I see through what you are doing here Darsc. It won't work.

You want me to spend my mini money on Guild membership so that my backlog doesn't get any bigger than yours, you want to entice me further into the depths of the forum, when the loonies are, knowing full well that I'll get stuck right in, spending all my time in the nonsense and not painting.

It won't work, and you know why? My mouth will get me banned sooner or later, and I'll have tonnes of painting time, rather than forum browsing time.

:D

On the painting front, I've worked every night this year ;) and seem to be hit by Car-crash man-flu. So, the plan is, coffee, chicken soup, finish Skeleton bases, and maybe finish shields and robes. Having just returned from a nightshift, I may want to take a few pictures of myself for inspiration when it comes time to tackle the Zombies.

gaarew
05-01-2011, 21:10
Well, poxes, plagues, lurgies and other maladies don't hold a candle to chicken soup and the constitution of an ox...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic176.jpg

Drybrushed the bases, all the robes are done, have done all the metal work. All that remains is the boots/straps/scabbards, weapon hafts and eyes. Then the old Devlan Mud bath.

I even mixed up the metals a bit, half the unit are done with Chainmail, and half with Boltgun metal, just to add to the rag-tag appearance.

I wasn't sure whether or not to paint all of them with different coloured robes/shields, to make them look more like a horde of animated battlefield remains, or keep a semi-unified look, more reminiscent of a standing army.

Working tonight again, but will hopefully get most of the remaining work done on these guys tomorrow. :D

strewart
06-01-2011, 03:55
I like the choice of colours, nice work. Also, you are a machine!

Chicken Pig
06-01-2011, 04:26
I agree with Strew, great colours. I like the standing army feel too. There must be something about us night workers that mean we get more painting done.

gaarew
06-01-2011, 20:58
There must be something about us night workers that mean we get more painting done.

I believe the correct term is lack of social life... :shifty:

Anyhoo, that is the Skeletons done. Added some shield transfers and weathered them a bit. I like the grimy look for them, seeing as they have clawed their way out of the ground, rather than the sunkist versions you get.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic178.jpg

So, I'm one model away from fulfilling my Jan quota. Sadly, I have bugger all else primed from the MR box to move onto...

Or I could make a start on this badboy, just so I'm not breaking up a unit over a month. Yeah, I'm a bit funny like that...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic179.jpg

gaarew
08-01-2011, 09:50
That's 31 for January finished now. (Plus 2 for February ;) )

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic187.jpg

With any luck I can finish the Zombies and Revenants before the month is out.

Robert
08-01-2011, 15:19
I really like the colours of your skeletons. That VGC Dark Green is a real pain to paint with (especially as I like to undercoat in black) but it does look fantastic.

Da Eavy
10-01-2011, 19:28
Crikey, blink and you'll miss it!
You're flying man! Not 2 weeks into January and you've this much complete already!
The Skellybobs look great! I was looking forward to seeing those and am happy now I have.
I even made it onto the standard! Axes on the brain!
Keep it up bud! I'd wish you luck but you obviously don't need it!

Getifa Ubazza
11-01-2011, 00:44
Thank you. Perhaps you could do your Dwarfs green then, that way, when you drag yourself to Stirling Wargamers, it won't look like the army is suffering from infighting.
Sounds like a plan. I think I will be doing mine grey. With a wash over the top it should look ok.

Still working on getting a job. As soon as I have that, I will be getting a car and I expect you will see me around once a fortnight after that. :)

gaarew
15-01-2011, 11:06
Well, that'll be the Zombies done. Actually, I lie. They still have to be varnished and bloodied up. And that would be 15 Zombies, with another 300odd to go. I have started mass assembly though, looking at a box lid with 105 sets of legs is rather disheartening though. These guys were all primed the same colour (bone) so the next batch will be either flesh or green, and painted up the same, so that I can mix them all together in big units. I'm planning on at least 2 Zombie Hordes in my Undead army. :) So, these guys make up 1/8 of that...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic192.jpg

Onto the Revenants and that will be the Undead Contingent of the box finished. Should be able to squeeze the 20 of them in as well as my ToFP entry this month. :D

Alsharoth
15-01-2011, 11:56
Very nice, Makes me want to burn my brush's

strewart
15-01-2011, 14:05
Wow those zombies look awesome! Great work. Yes, lots to go but remember you have a whole year to do it.

gaarew
15-01-2011, 17:20
Two updates in one day? Christ, I must be bored...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic196.jpg

Getting there with the Revenants, have sorted the bases, robes, shields, armour and weapons and scabbards.

Just leaves the handles/banner pole, straps, eyes, shield transfers, wash and grassing to do, and that would complete the Undead contingent in less than a month.

Woo!

gaarew
19-01-2011, 11:09
Ta da!

Revenants are completed, meaning that I've knocked out all 68 Undead models from the starter box in 19 days. Not bad going considering I've had a few paintless (not to be confused with pantless) days...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic198.jpg

And the obligatory fuzzy group shot.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic202.jpg

I may need to invest in a bigger cabinet...

EmperorNorton
19-01-2011, 12:24
Almost 20% done already, impressive.

strewart
19-01-2011, 12:41
I like the freehand on the shields, nice work!

Sapphire
19-01-2011, 15:28
:O is this thee gaarew from one ring???? the painting machine!!!! glad to have found your work again man!! you still lotr-ing? if not, you selling any stuff :angel: ;) lol

very impressed with your mantic stuff aswell!! but 365 minis doesnt seem to be much of a challenge to you!!

mrtn
19-01-2011, 15:58
I like the revenants, but think a real banner would be good for them, make them feel special.

Jormi_Boced
19-01-2011, 17:54
I really like the Ghouls!

gaarew
19-01-2011, 19:09
Almost 20% done already, impressive.

Indeed. But now is not the time to rest on my laurels. They cause a nasty rash, plus if I keep going at the same pace, I *should* theoretically, get through 1314 minis this year... I won't, but it is a nice though. Going by current purchasing trends, it would possibly account for about a third of my collection at the end of the year.

I like the freehand on the shields, nice work!

Errrr, it isn't freehand mate. It is a skull transfer, with some weathering done over the top of it, and the eyeballs dotted in. I'm far too lazy to freehand any more than 1 shield at a time. :D

:O is this thee gaarew from one ring???? the painting machine!!!! glad to have found your work again man!! you still lotr-ing? if not, you selling any stuff :angel: ;) lol

very impressed with your mantic stuff aswell!! but 365 minis doesnt seem to be much of a challenge to you!!

Ack, my cover as a stealth speed painter has been blown :shifty: Yeah, it is indeed me. I try to keep my hand in, but haven't played more than a few games recently. Drop me a PM with what you are looking for, I'll check the hoard, and we might be able to work out a mutually beneficial deal.

Well, maybe 365 isn't too big a challenge for ME, but I didn't want to set the bar too high for some of the other Fanatics. Like the ones who baulk at the thought of painting 3.65 minis a year...

I like the revenants, but think a real banner would be good for them, make them feel special.

Cheers mrtn, but they're dead, they don't follow normal psychology rules, so they wouldn't feel special anyway. Still, you want to see a Revenant with a fancy banner, eh? I think that can be arranged, just keep watching this space dude. Or possibly down a bit.

I really like the Ghouls!

Cheers Jormi.

Well, I really kicked the back-end out of my first day off. Not that it is really a day off when I spent the first 8 hours of it at work... No rest for the wicked they say, so, I've been a busy boy, got a fresh batch of 13 models cleaned up, assembled, bases textured and primed, as well as priming all the Dwarfs from the MR box and the start of a Skeleton Phalanx Horde. I also managed to clip out the bits for an Ironclad AND Ironwatch horde, plus about 20 Dwarf Crewmen. Actually, I've done a fair bit of clipping over the last few days, I reckon I'm down to the last 150 or so minis still on the sprue.

basher
19-01-2011, 22:06
wow your flying i'm loveing this blog 365 minis you should be done for may

Dino
20-01-2011, 03:51
Neat stuff. Hope to see Morgoth all painted up soon.

gaarew
20-01-2011, 07:05
wow your flying i'm loveing this blog 365 minis you should be done for may

Sounds like a plan. Actually, although I've primed the Dwarfs, I am considering just bulking the Undead up to a round 100 before the end of the month...

Neat stuff. Hope to see Morgoth all painted up soon.

Well... He is primed now. :D

I would say what I'm working on now, but I would rather risk your wrath and keep it a surprise.

gaarew
22-01-2011, 04:23
OK, next lot done.

2 units of Wraiths. Feels a bit strange to paint something that isn't doused entirely with Devlan Mud when it is finished...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic203.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic204.jpg

That puts me at 78 minis so far this month (and year...), so, 22 more to hit 100 for January.

Should be do-able. :D

Darsc Zacal
22-01-2011, 05:20
These are my favourite painted wraiths I've seen anywhere so far. Well done gaarew! Care to give a quick rundown of the steps involved?

mrtn
22-01-2011, 06:04
Looking great!

:)

strewart
22-01-2011, 07:00
These are my favourite painted wraiths I've seen anywhere so far. Well done gaarew! Care to give a quick rundown of the steps involved?

Seconded! That is an awesome ghostlike colour scheme for them, really good work. In fact so good, it inspires me to crack mine out and do a bit of painting.

gaarew
22-01-2011, 11:13

Wow, thanks D, that is quite the compliment. :D I'm more than happy to share the knowledge, providing that you actually use it... ;)

Prime black,
overbrush entire model Astronomican Grey (Foundation),
drybrush robes and face Artic Grey 33A (Foundry),
layer all metal parts with Chainmail (GW),
wash metals with Armour Wash (old GW, or P3)
wash entire model with Orc Flesh Wash (old GW ink)
drybrush robes and face Artic Grey 33A again (Foundry),
drybrush robes and face Skull White (GW)
dot eyes with Putrid Green (GW)
wash metals with Devlan Mud.
base to taste.

It is a deceptively simple technique that gives really good results for ethereal models. I have used it in the past for Army of the Dead models for LotR, as well as substituting the Orc Flesh Wash for a blue wash for my evil models. I can't really think of any other colours that would work as well though, perhaps purple.

Looking great!

:)

Cheers mrtn. :D

Seconded! That is an awesome ghostlike colour scheme for them, really good work. In fact so good, it inspires me to crack mine out and do a bit of painting.

Excellent, my plan is working Mwah Hah Hah Hah Hah, I'll have you all painting yet... :evilgrin:

Well, seeing as the above techniques, whilst pretty easy, are sorta time consuming, mainly waiting for washes to dry, I have been working intermittently on both my Revenant King and Undead Army Standard. I expect to have these done either today or tomorrow, leaving me over a week to get at least 20 more minis done. I'm going to make a start on 10 Skeleton spearmen, which will eventually be bulked out into a horde, and possibly another 10 Ghouls. Or possibly 9, in anticipation of the Ghast model arriving sometime soon.

Darsc Zacal
22-01-2011, 19:08
You're welcome gaarew. It really is a very nice looking unit, I just hope I can get some similar results when I get around to doing mine.

Thanks for the step by step. I see you use a number of paints/inks that are either out of production or not otherwise readily available to me. I take it the Orc flesh wash is a very light green? The Artic Grey makes me think of a bluish/gray shade, would that be close?

Please correct me if wrong as I'll have to come up with substitutes for those.

Alsharoth
22-01-2011, 19:16
Bah your putting the rest of us to shame, slow down you should only be on 22 out of 365!
:wtf::shifty::shifty::shifty:

Anyway there looking good.

gaarew
22-01-2011, 21:16
You're welcome gaarew. It really is a very nice looking unit, I just hope I can get some similar results when I get around to doing mine.

Thanks for the step by step. I see you use a number of paints/inks that are either out of production or not otherwise readily available to me. I take it the Orc flesh wash is a very light green? The Artic Grey makes me think of a bluish/gray shade, would that be close?

Please correct me if wrong as I'll have to come up with substitutes for those.

OK D, here goes - Orc Flesh Wash was a dark green, much darker than the Green Ink that was available at the same time. Artic Grey is a white grey, there isn't any blue to it. At least not to my eyes.

black, - readily available
Astronomican Grey (Foundation), - readily available
Artic Grey 33A (Foundry) - Fortress Grey, (if you want to try Rotting Flesh it would tie in with the Green tone too, or P3 thrall Flesh), Frostbite (P3)
Chainmail (GW),- readily available
Armour Wash (old GW, or P3) - P3 Armour Wash or Badab black (GW)
Orc Flesh Wash (old GW ink) - Thraka Green Wash should work, or Windsor & Newton artists inks, dark green
Artic Grey 33A again (Foundry) - Fortress Grey,
Skull White (GW)- readily available
Putrid Green (GW) - Scorpion Green (GW) - Necrotite Green (P3)
wash metals with Devlan Mud.- readily available

Bah your putting the rest of us to shame, slow down you should only be on 22 out of 365!
:wtf::shifty::shifty::shifty:

Anyway there looking good.

Cheers. To combat that shame you could always spend more time painting and less complaining... Just a thought. ;)

Darsc Zacal
22-01-2011, 22:56
Thanks for taking the time out of your busy painting schedule to post such a comprehensive alternate paint/ink list.

I'm not trying to slow down your painting progress or anything... Honest! :shifty:

Chicken Pig
23-01-2011, 10:05
Agreed, those Wraiths look brilliant. Is the Liche King going to get a similar treatment?

gaarew
23-01-2011, 14:05
I'm not trying to slow down your painting progress or anything... Honest! :shifty:

It's OK. It's not working.

Agreed, those Wraiths look brilliant. Is the Liche King going to get a similar treatment?

Cheers. I have been looking at the mini for a day or so now, wondering whether I should just do the same scheme and stick him on a 20mm base, or, do the same scheme and keep him on the diorama base, possibly mounting that on a 40mm base.

mrtn, is this all 'wight'?

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic213.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic212.jpg

and his boss

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic209.jpg

What a lovely pair they make. (As well as being #'s 79 and 80 :D )

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic214.jpg

mrtn
23-01-2011, 15:09
It's all wight, bwavo!

lord marcus
23-01-2011, 16:02
How did you find the BSB to paint up? I've been terrified by all his armor and clothing and such.

gaarew
23-01-2011, 16:07
It's all wight, bwavo!

Boy am I gwad about that. :D

How did you find the BSB to paint up? I've been terrified by all his armor and clothing and such.

Thought it was a piece of errr... something very easy.

Seriously, it is such a simple mini to paint. If I were you I'd be more concerned about the banner...

lord marcus
23-01-2011, 16:38
Thx Gaar. you will be seeing progress in my blog soon. You wouldn't belive how college classes eat up painting time.

Alsharoth
23-01-2011, 18:56
Thought it was a piece of errr... something very easy.

Cake Sausage?

Cheers. To combat that shame you could always spend more time painting and less complaining... Just a thought.

Nah never happen ......................
oh wait just painted 7 mantic dwarfs and 4 GW dwarfs.

Now wheres my camera
:shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty::shifty:

Robert
23-01-2011, 20:03
King and standard bearer are looking good. I really like how you painted the standard!

Are you using the skull transfers all the way through your army? I have the same skulls I am going to use on my Skeleton regiments but am going to use some crosses on my revenants! Also how did you weather the transfers?

Skalfgrimm
25-01-2011, 16:54
Brilliant work Gaarew.

Now IŽll have to see to it that I paint my dwarfs, so we can have ourselves a game at the next open day.

I might even team up with the rest of the UK, so you cann field all of your models at once :D

gaarew
25-01-2011, 20:24
Thx Gaar. you will be seeing progress in my blog soon. You wouldn't belive how college classes eat up painting time.

Yeah, 4 years doing an English degree and a year for a post grad PGDE in Secondary education, I wouldn't know in the slightest... :shifty:

Cake Sausage?

Nah never happen ......................
oh wait just painted 7 mantic dwarfs and 4 GW dwarfs.

Now wheres my camera

Well, not morning sausage anyway. Although, perhaps a by product.

King and standard bearer are looking good. I really like how you painted the standard!

Are you using the skull transfers all the way through your army? I have the same skulls I am going to use on my Skeleton regiments but am going to use some crosses on my revenants! Also how did you weather the transfers?

Robert, yeah, I plan to use the transfers across the whole force, which will be Skeletons, Revenants, Revenant Cavalry and the Balefire frames. The weathering was a simple process of painting the shield, applying the transfer, then using the shield colour to paint scores, chips and slashes over the transfer. In some cases I painted over quite a lot of the transfer to remove the top of the skull or jaw for example.

Brilliant work Gaarew.

Now IŽll have to see to it that I paint my dwarfs, so we can have ourselves a game at the next open day.

I might even team up with the rest of the UK, so you cann field all of your models at once :D

Cheers Skalf. Open Day, Octoberish right? Well, if I can keep this pace up, you might want to consider pitting the rest of the UK and all of Germany against me. :D

I've done a bit of work on the next lot of models. Bases are all done on 10 Ghouls and 10 Skeleton Spearmen, as well as Mhorgoth, a Necromancer and some Balefire Crew. I've done the majority of cloth on the Ghouls, and am just picking my way around all the models I currently have on the go.

I think I need to get a whole bunch more Zombies done though. :shifty:

gaarew
27-01-2011, 16:43
There will be BLOOD!

Next 10 Ghouls done and gored up (taking me to 90)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic217.jpg

Original 10 Ghouls gored up

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic227.jpg

Full unit ranked up

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic221.jpg

And some Zombies with a little spatter

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic230.jpg

Only a few days left to hit the 100 mark...

orlanth1000
30-01-2011, 10:20
WOW!

Loving the Zombies especially.

This is a great example of clean painting.

Your achieving what seems like a easy thing to do, clean painting with washes, but is so god darn hard for most of us.

Extremely motivational, keep up the great work J.

gaarew
31-01-2011, 10:57
Cheers dude, I'm pretty happy with the Zombies myself. I'm itching to paint a bunch more up and experiment with even more varied skin tones.

So, last update of the month probably. I did it, finished off the 10 Skeleton Spearmen, taking me to a personal best of 100 minis in a month (plus a Hellpit Abomination for GW Falkirk's window, but that is another story).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic231.jpg

Feels good to be ahead of schedule as little lady #3 is scheduled to arrive on Thursday, meaning lots of sleepless nights. (If I want to get any painting done that is ;) )

The big question now is whether I should get those Dwarfs from the box set done, or continue to crack on with the Undead.

EmperorNorton
31-01-2011, 14:09
Congratulations.

These skellingtons look great, as do the ghouls and the zombies.
Any chance to see a pic of your HPA? 'cause I have no idea how to paint mine...

Llew
31-01-2011, 14:40
This is a seriously impressive log, Gaarew. I would love to face off against an army like this. Excellent!

gaarew
31-01-2011, 20:14
Congratulations.

These skellingtons look great, as do the ghouls and the zombies.
Any chance to see a pic of your HPA? 'cause I have no idea how to paint mine...

Thanks EmperorNorton. I'll try and get pictures of it next time I'm down at the shop. :)

This is a seriously impressive log, Gaarew. I would love to face off against an army like this. Excellent!

Cheers Llew. Fingers crossed the wife's candy company takes off and you can afford the luxury of the Open Day 2011 for a little throw down. ;)

I am going to try and get a full army shot in the morning, depending on light/space required I may need to take over a dining room table...

lord marcus
01-02-2011, 00:56
Gaarew dear sir. I toast your accomplishments and set a goal of my own. By the end of february (this past weekend included because during the upcoming weekend i will be away and so it does not count) I will paint at least 200 models.

Sound fair?

gaarew
01-02-2011, 07:35
By the end of february (this past weekend included because during the upcoming weekend i will be away and so it does not count) I will paint at least 200 models.

Sound fair?

Drop the two 0's off the end of that, and not only would it be fair, it would be believable. :p

Or are you trying to con me by painting some ridiculous 2mm army or something?

Or are you talking about February 2023?

Just in from work, really need to do the finishing touches to my ToFP entry, then I'm off to do a little photo shoot at a mates.

I reckon that, with enough poly cement, and a hosepipe, I could probably paint 200 Zombies in a week. If I wasn't working. Might have to raid the kid's sandpit for basing material though...

gaarew
01-02-2011, 13:11
I have returned bearing much images. :D

Full army taken with 'real' daylight as opposed to a daylight bulb.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic234.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic236.jpg

Zombies and Wraiths again with better lighting.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic241.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic242.jpg

mrtn
01-02-2011, 16:54
Looking very good!

:yes:

lord marcus
02-02-2011, 03:55
Drop the two 0's off the end of that, and not only would it be fair, it would be believable. :p

Or are you trying to con me by painting some ridiculous 2mm army or something?

Or are you talking about February 2023?

Just in from work, really need to do the finishing touches to my ToFP entry, then I'm off to do a little photo shoot at a mates.

I reckon that, with enough poly cement, and a hosepipe, I could probably paint 200 Zombies in a week. If I wasn't working. Might have to raid the kid's sandpit for basing material though...

nope, 200 mini;s by the end of february 2011. That is if you are up to challenging me to it, of course.

Purplebeard
02-02-2011, 06:34
I'd never really considered Mantic before since their Dwarves are a bit naff (except the chracters), but these Ghouls and Zombies look great. You've changed my perspective for sure.

Dino
02-02-2011, 15:34
Quit the little undead army you have there. Seeing all these mantic miniatures makes me want to go grap a whole lot of them right now. Nice work man. When will we see more dwarves?

gaarew
02-02-2011, 16:10
Looking very good!

:yes:

Cheers dude. :D

nope, 200 mini;s by the end of february 2011. That is if you are up to challenging me to it, of course.

Nothing like kicking a man when he is down eh? You know that, due to new baby, my productivity will be severely limited, yet you throw out a challenge like that? Filth! Still, I'll see your 200. Never let it be said that I won't rise to the occassion. Cue obvious joke about impending child and disruption of painting frenzy.

I'd never really considered Mantic before since their Dwarves are a bit naff (except the chracters), but these Ghouls and Zombies look great. You've changed my perspective for sure.

Good stuff. I really love the Zombies, which is good because, with the Command pack and Regiment order, I reckon I can field about 400 now...

Quit the little undead army you have there. Seeing all these mantic miniatures makes me want to go grap a whole lot of them right now. Nice work man. When will we see more dwarves?

Oooooh, Dwarfs? Very possible they will be next up, for no other reason they are primed and it is too wet to prime more Undead. I'll have to check back and see how I painted them it has been a while...

Still, the Undead have officially become my 2nd entry into the ToFP 2011, so I reckon I need to get more of them done.

lord marcus
03-02-2011, 03:19
Nien. I would not wish to injure your E-pride any furthur. However, the gauntlet has been thrown down. see you on the painting table.

Also = new mantic fanatic wallpaper in the mantic fanatic social group.

Seville
03-02-2011, 04:50
Looking great. I wasn't a fan of Mantic stuff, but you've changed my mind a bit. Love the army shot.

scarletsquig
03-02-2011, 08:01
Interesting challenge.

So, officially (since last weekend is included), gaarew's last update counts. And we're already about 10% through the allotted time.

Current count: gaarew: 10, marcus: 0.

I think whoever wins this is gonna need to do a bulk army-at-once job.

mattrs
03-02-2011, 09:12
HI

Just wanted to say great work so far, loving the zombies and ghouls!

Just starting a vampire army myself, any chance you can share how you painted your zombies and ghouls please ?????

matt

gaarew
03-02-2011, 20:00
Nien. I would not wish to injure your E-pride any furthur. However, the gauntlet has been thrown down. see you on the painting table.

Bring it on little man! ;) The only thing bigger than my backlog is my ego.

Looking great. I wasn't a fan of Mantic stuff, but you've changed my mind a bit. Love the army shot.

Cheers dude. I worried about getting the full army in one shot, I reckon I'll worry more when it has expanded in a few months.

So, officially (since last weekend is included), gaarew's last update counts. And we're already about 10% through the allotted time.

I like your way of thinking SS. Bulk army eh? Hmmmmm, how many Zombies do I have assembled...

HI

Just wanted to say great work so far, loving the zombies and ghouls!

Just starting a vampire army myself, any chance you can share how you painted your zombies and ghouls please ?????

Cheers Matt.

Zombies - Primed bone (Army Painter spray), washed with Leviathan Purple (GWW), then Asurmen Blue (GWW), clothing painted variety of browns (VEO or GWF), and dark green, open areas and exposed muscle painted Sanguine base (P3), teeth and exposed bone and bandages done in bone/Dheneb Stone (GWF), eyes dotted Putrid Green (old GW). Watered down wash of Devlan Mud.

Ghouls - Primed flesh (Army Painter spray), washed with Leviathan Purple (GWW), clothing painted variety of browns (VEO or GWF), and dark green, bandages done in bone/Dheneb Stone (GWF), eyes dotted Putrid Green (old GW). Watered down wash of Devlan Mud.

Blood effects courtesy of TCR and P3 Brown Ink.

Hope that helps.

And a big 'Oh yeah' to me for making the Mantic Blog.

mattrs
05-02-2011, 17:57
OK prob going to sound like an idiot now but whats TCR ????

Matt

gaarew
05-02-2011, 20:11
Tamiya Clear Red - it is a foul smelling clear acrylic that works really well for blood/gore effects.

You can mix it with inks, water it down, or add PVA glue to it to create chunks. It destroys brushes though.

Prince Sairion
06-02-2011, 10:43
The army looks brilliant, I've never really looked at mantic before but may have to now. Very impressive workload for January, I remember doing 100+ min is in a month, made me not want to paint for weeks!

Aflo
06-02-2011, 12:58
The nicest rendition of Mantic figures I've ever seen. Very nice.

Saul Tarvitz
06-02-2011, 13:16
Very nice Undead, looking forward to seeing how you paint your Mhorgoth as I've no idea how to go about painting mine.

I've gotta admit though, the most impressive thing in this log isn't your skill with the brush or speed of painting but the fact that you managed to get enough daylight to take a good picture in Falkirk. :p

lord marcus
07-02-2011, 03:24
Interesting challenge.

I think whoever wins this is gonna need to do a bulk army-at-once job.

Actually, through my wording and the acceptance of gaarew, my zombies/mummies counted. Therefore along with the 5 skeletons completed tonight, i'm 25/200 (more in my blog - same forum - entitled I speak the ancient tounge to the gods.....)

gaarew
08-02-2011, 12:51
*Due to hitting the picture limit, please add smilies as applicable to make the following comments read in the good-natured banter that they are intended as.*

The army looks brilliant, I've never really looked at mantic before but may have to now. Very impressive workload for January, I remember doing 100+ min is in a month, made me not want to paint for weeks!

Cheers dude. I'm not suffering the burn out yet, I am still really keen to get on with this, just a matter of finding the time now.

The nicest rendition of Mantic figures I've ever seen. Very nice.

High praise indeed. Or the first Mantic minis you've ever seen... Cheers.

Very nice Undead, looking forward to seeing how you paint your Mhorgoth as I've no idea how to go about painting mine.

I've gotta admit though, the most impressive thing in this log isn't your skill with the brush or speed of painting but the fact that you managed to get enough daylight to take a good picture in Falkirk.

Hmmm, Mhorgoth, see below.

As for the daylight, it is a very cunning combination of daylight bulbs, and waiting until the wee small hours for the BP in Grangemouth to flare up and create the central Scottish Aurelius Borealis.

Actually, through my wording and the acceptance of gaarew, my zombies/mummies counted. Therefore along with the 5 skeletons completed tonight, i'm 25/200 (more in my blog - same forum - entitled I speak the ancient tounge to the gods.....)

Very good. All I'll say for the moment is, when you make a deal with the devil, you better chose your words carefully. Surely a scholar such as yourself is au fait with the Faustian legend?

So, my output for February so far = 1... (But an impressive 350 points nevertheless)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic274.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic275.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic276.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic277.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic278.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic279.jpg

I will be the first to admit that I have neither the skill, patience or time to do OSL, so, it is a few highlights and that is it. I went for a kinda Drow colouration on the Elf corpses, coupled with a maritime blue, that I imagine will be carried over to any living ones I paint.

I will endeavour to get better lit pictures as soon as possible.

strewart
08-02-2011, 13:51
Wow. Thats a really nice looking Mhorgoth! Very cool to see green instead of the usual purple.

OSL is indeed very tricky and very hard to pull off. From what I have found, using very thin highlights works best, because it still allows the colour underneath to see through a bit. But how you have done it still gets the point across and looks good in the photos.

Dino
08-02-2011, 15:02
Holy crap this is really awsome. Making me want to do something awsome with my minis.

Saul Tarvitz
08-02-2011, 15:17
Ah yes, the infamous Aurora Hibernensis. :P

Mhorgoth looks awesome, its nice to see him in colours other than the black and purple which a lot of people understandably recreate. Your 'lazy OSL' as you call it gives the magic/fire an almost liquid look - kind of like all the magic used in Stardust.

Hybrid Alpha
08-02-2011, 16:13
Excellent painting log Gaarew. I really like what you've done with Mhorgoth, I especially like the extra details you've added to his base.

Now haven't you got some nappies to change and some sleep to catch up on ;)

Chicken Pig
08-02-2011, 18:40
Hmmm, he isn't purple, thus it does not count towards your total :D

Love it, very nice centrpiece to the army as well. I doubt I will ever try the OSL thing but I really like its impact here. Isn't it great to add 350pts to an army in one shot as well?

What is next on the painting board?

gaarew
08-02-2011, 19:20
Wow. Thats a really nice looking Mhorgoth! Very cool to see green instead of the usual purple.

OSL is indeed very tricky and very hard to pull off. From what I have found, using very thin highlights works best, because it still allows the colour underneath to see through a bit. But how you have done it still gets the point across and looks good in the photos.

Cheers dude. I have no illusions about my ability, there will be no thinning of paints, what's that famous line from Lord of the Rings about painting... 'One coat to cover them'...

Holy crap this is really awsome. Making me want to do something awsome with my minis.

Cheers dude. Looking forwards to your display of awesomeness.

Ah yes, the infamous Aurora Hibernensis. :P

Mhorgoth looks awesome, its nice to see him in colours other than the black and purple which a lot of people understandably recreate. Your 'lazy OSL' as you call it gives the magic/fire an almost liquid look - kind of like all the magic used in Stardust.

Well, my main army colour is dark green, so that's what he is. The purple cloak is to suggest (fallen) nobility and keep my 3 year old happy.

As for the 'lazy' OSL, I think we can drop the lazy prefix, and just take it as given that it applies to everything I do. :D

Excellent painting log Gaarew. I really like what you've done with Mhorgoth, I especially like the extra details you've added to his base.

Cheers dude. I'm really happy with how the base looks when complete. I may have to do something similar with my Vampi... Errr, nothing.

Hmmm, he isn't purple, thus it does not count towards your total :D

Love it, very nice centrpiece to the army as well. I doubt I will ever try the OSL thing but I really like its impact here. Isn't it great to add 350pts to an army in one shot as well?

Cheers dude, he is purple. From the back. And his skin is glazed purple. Yeah, that one model alone is about 1/4 of the fully painted army I have.

Now haven't you got some nappies to change and some sleep to catch up on ;)

Apparently not...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic281.jpg

What is next on the painting board?

Who told you about that?
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic280.jpg

Pure laziness... :D

scarletsquig
08-02-2011, 19:50
1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. *squints*. Ah screw it.. at a rough guess I'd say that's about 100 models on there.

Time to grab your hose!

Like the base on Morgoth, it's a neat little diorama.

Saul Tarvitz
08-02-2011, 20:23
Holy Bejeesus! That's a lot of skellingtons.

So what are you going to do when you've painted 365 models by the end of March? Another 300 before August?

gaarew
08-02-2011, 20:37
Holy Bejeesus! That's a lot of skellingtons.

22 actually.

The other 113 are Zombies...

;)

Dino
08-02-2011, 21:23
It would appear your well under way to finish of your undead army very soon. Can't wait to see the whole army done. Best of luck.

minitrol
09-02-2011, 04:40
Wow and I thought you raced through your Dwarfs! I love Morgoth OSL is hard to pull off and sure it could be improved but along with the rest of the army I think it looks excellent!

gaarew
10-02-2011, 23:40
It would appear your well under way to finish of your undead army very soon. Can't wait to see the whole army done. Best of luck.

Hardly. See second post. Even if I do manage 300 models in 2 months, I still have over 600 Undead to add... :p And Cheers. Luck has nothing to do with it. Only coffee.

Wow and I thought you raced through your Dwarfs! I love Morgoth OSL is hard to pull off and sure it could be improved but along with the rest of the army I think it looks excellent!

Cheers.

So, been a bit quiet, but that's the side effect of building 150 or so minis in a week...

Still, add 30 to the Big Bad Wolf's tally, which I believe takes us to;

gaarew - 31, lord marcus - 30? (I'm not clutching at straws yet, so won't count the 10 Skeleton spearmen)

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic285.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic290.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic293.jpg

Hmmm, 169 to go...

lord marcus
10-02-2011, 23:49
Hah! But its 31/31 (if you want to count the spearmen thats fine. I'll make up for it this weekend) because I painted a terminator yesterday!

Llew
10-02-2011, 23:59
Those guys are looking disgustingly great, Gaarew. :)

Dino
11-02-2011, 02:47
Very nice. Zombies are looking good. Can't wait to see the next army shot.

Hybrid Alpha
11-02-2011, 02:56
They look excellent.

gaarew
14-02-2011, 01:41
Hah! But its 31/31 (if you want to count the spearmen thats fine. I'll make up for it this weekend) because I painted a terminator yesterday!

It is no longer 31:31... And I won't be counting those 10 Skeleton Spearmen. At least not until the 28th...

Those guys are looking disgustingly great, Gaarew. :)

Cheers Llew, glad you like 'em.

Very nice. Zombies are looking good. Can't wait to see the next army shot.

Cheers Dino. I may have to look into widescreen for that endeavour.

They look excellent.

Cheers Hybrid Alpha, that is very motivational coming from a painter of your high calibre.

Ok, all together now...

Zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie and finally, zombie... :p

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic295.jpg

And just to silence anyone who may wish to suggest less than gentlemanly conduct, here are the same with the previous 30 Zombies. :D

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic296.jpg

Hmmmm, guess what is next on the agenda...

lord marcus
14-02-2011, 02:47
Thanks for making me more of the following:

1. angry at my self for failing to meet your count this weekend

2. slightly depresssed at the hint of possible failure.

because my count is now 55........

Saul Tarvitz
14-02-2011, 11:03
Woah! That's one hell of a horde o' zombies and they look rather swish too.

gaarew
18-02-2011, 00:16
Woah! That's one hell of a horde o' zombies and they look rather swish too.

Cheers Saul.

So, did anybody have a guess at what would be next? Does anybody even care? What would be the best think to do to take a break after painting 90 Zombies?

Paint another 60 I guess...

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic301.jpg

and all ranked up with the previous Horde.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic309.jpg

The other 30 are in a display cabinet, I'll dig them out and get a photo of all 150 together soonish.

So, 151 to me so far this month, lord marcus 75.

10 days to go...

Dino
18-02-2011, 01:05
Wow thats a lot of zombies. I think you'll be hitting your mark sooner then you think.

strewart
18-02-2011, 04:11
Wow thats the biggest unit of zombies I've ever seen, looks awesome!

scarletsquig
18-02-2011, 06:36
Zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie, zombie

... mushroom, mushroom. :p

You know.. I don't think I've ever seen a 150-strong unit in any fantasy painting log, ever, so that will make an interesting pic.

Of course you could always wait until you've got another 50 painted up to make it a nice round 200, conveniently winning the challenge while you're at it.

The individual spines look better as part of a unit than I thought they would, they mix up the height level a bit. Plus I guess you could use them as wound markers in games where you aren't using 100% of the horde.

EmperorNorton
18-02-2011, 10:08
Simply incredible.

Darkritual
18-02-2011, 12:50
Yep like EmperorNorton says!

Incredible!!

Hybrid Alpha
18-02-2011, 18:22
Incredible, sums it up nicely.

gaarew
18-02-2011, 22:42
Wow thats a lot of zombies. I think you'll be hitting your mark sooner then you think.

So do I Dino. So do I...

Wow thats the biggest unit of zombies I've ever seen, looks awesome!

Cheers strew. I imagine it'll look a lot bigger when the army is finished though.

... mushroom, mushroom. :p

You know.. I don't think I've ever seen a 150-strong unit in any fantasy painting log, ever, so that will make an interesting pic.

Of course you could always wait until you've got another 50 painted up to make it a nice round 200, conveniently winning the challenge while you're at it.

The individual spines look better as part of a unit than I thought they would, they mix up the height level a bit. Plus I guess you could use them as wound markers in games where you aren't using 100% of the horde.

Erm, No! :) I couldn't quite face another 50 right now. Plus, 50 isn't a proper unit so I'd just have to do 60... Maybe next month.

Simply incredible.

Cheers Emperor.

Yep like EmperorNorton says!

Incredible!!

Cheers Darkritual.

Incredible, sums it up nicely.

Cheers Hybrid.

So, here is another little update.

4 Skeletal Rat/Dogs for my units, bumping me up to 155 models this month.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic315.jpg

Oh.

Wait.

That's no good. Dragging you all in here to see what is essentially a unit upgrade. Let's make this worth your while.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic317.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic318-1.jpg

Scratch 155, that's 160 now. :D

A very, very big thank for those dude. You know who you are.

EmperorNorton
18-02-2011, 23:34
You're kinda like a Harry 2.0, Mantic Edition.
A painting machine.

I have to say that the Abyssal Dwarfs look a bit odd to me. The verdigris is nicely done, but the skin tone doesn't work for me.

Dino
18-02-2011, 23:34
Oh man I was hopping to the new abyssal dwarves before you did. Well so far they look rather neat. Can't wait to see more.

strewart
19-02-2011, 04:03
Wow that is a very interesting colour sceme for the Abyssal Dwarves, they look good! Kinda remind me of ghost pirate Lechuck from the original Monkey Island for some reason.

Saul Tarvitz
19-02-2011, 07:14
Very nice looking Abyssal Dwarfs mate, how did you go about painting the verdigris? I'm guessing painted the blue colour then drybrushed with the bronze colour.

minitrol
19-02-2011, 08:18
I am well impressed with your Abyssal Dwarfs keep them coming. The skeletal dogs (or are they rats*) look awesome too.

*see what I did there?

Prince Sairion
19-02-2011, 09:15
I very nearly put an order in for the dwarfs - then looked at my bank balance and decided against it!

They look very good, did you get the entire army deal, as I'd be interested to see what the 'bull centaurs' look like as I couldn't find them on the website.

Think you need to bulk out your undead soon too, those units are looking a little fragile. . . :rolleyes:

gaarew
19-02-2011, 09:41
You're kinda like a Harry 2.0, Mantic Edition.
A painting machine.

I have to say that the Abyssal Dwarfs look a bit odd to me. The verdigris is nicely done, but the skin tone doesn't work for me.

Cheers Emperor. Yeah, I know what you mean. The skin is Wargames Foundry Slate Grey Shade (32A), with Slate Grey (32) for a highlight, quite a stark contrast. Going for the classic 'Deurgar' look. It looks pretty bad in the pictures because it is so stark a contrast. It does honestly look better/more natural at arms length. Honest.

Oh man I was hopping to the new abyssal dwarves before you did. Well so far they look rather neat. Can't wait to see more.

Sorry Dino. Maybe you'll beat me when it comes to the Orcs. I plan to finish off this unit then get started on either Blacksouls or Decimators.

Wow that is a very interesting colour sceme for the Abyssal Dwarves, they look good! Kinda remind me of ghost pirate Lechuck from the original Monkey Island for some reason.

Cheers strew. The colour scheme was originally planned for my Undead, but I figured it takes too long to be able to churn out huge units. I've kept the dark green cloth, which I think I may do for all my Evil armies (which will mean I'll need a non-green skin tone for my Orcs), and will probably keep the blue, or a variation on it, of my Dwarfs for the Good armies.

These are the Immortal guard. I took Immortal maybe just a touch too literally, but I imagine these guys to be extremely long lived. Living in dark and damp places has pitted, corroded and tarnished their armour, yet they keep their weapons and the spiky bits in good working (and killing) order. Well, that's my take on it anyway. I'm not sure about the orange as a spot colour on the gems though, it works for eyes, but I think I need something else for the armour.

Very nice looking Abyssal Dwarfs mate, how did you go about painting the verdigris? I'm guessing painted the blue colour then drybrushed with the bronze colour.

Cheers Saul. OK, the armour & verdigris was done thus -

Overbrush entire model Tinbitz, lighter overbrush of Dwarf Bronze (GW), very, very heavily watered down wash of Arcane Blue (P3), allow to dry, further very, very watered down wash of Arcane Blue (P3) with just a tiny drop of white added, then a light drybrush of Dwarf Bronze. Simples.

I am well impressed with your Abyssal Dwarfs keep them coming. The skeletal dogs (or are they rats*) look awesome too.

*see what I did there?

Cheers minitrol, I intend to. I see what you did. +1 KoW point.

I very nearly put an order in for the dwarfs - then looked at my bank balance and decided against it!

They look very good, did you get the entire army deal, as I'd be interested to see what the 'bull centaurs' look like as I couldn't find them on the website.

Think you need to bulk out your undead soon too, those units are looking a little fragile. . . :rolleyes:

Cheers Prince Sairon. Yes, I have the Colossal army deal on order, in fact, part 1 arrived about 20 minutes ago... ;) Containing the 40 Blacksouls, 20 Decimators, 10 Immortal Guard and the 2 Katsuchan Rockets.

The War Council, Berserkers and Centaurus will be included in part 2 I imagine.

And yes, I think I will have to bulk out those Undead units. Especially those piddly little units of 10 and 20 Skeletons...

Chicken Pig
19-02-2011, 10:23
Sweet work, I am loving the Abyssal armour. As for the skin colour I am always of the opinion that it is your army, paint it how the hell you want to. Also you fall into the 4ft army category (mine is about 10ft) and 150-200 plus of miniatures painted to this standard will look amazing.

How long before you touch another zombie then?

As for small er Undead units the troop sized units do seem small, but I think that the regiment sized units are useful for bulking out your army with more characters, characters that you really need to get your Undead army moving and actually doing something.

Nightsword
22-02-2011, 01:02
A very, very big thank for those dude. You know who you are.

Am i right in thinking you might have a postcards that says either 1,2,3,4 or 5 out of 5 with your Abyssal Dwarfs? Look great!

gaarew
24-02-2011, 17:10
Sweet work, I am loving the Abyssal armour. As for the skin colour I am always of the opinion that it is your army, paint it how the hell you want to. Also you fall into the 4ft army category (mine is about 10ft) and 150-200 plus of miniatures painted to this standard will look amazing.

How long before you touch another zombie then?

Couldn't agree more. As for painting more Zombies, it looks like Stirling Wargamers has had a Blood Bowl revival, meaning I need a fully painted Necromantic team for next Thursday. So, sooner than I'd anticipated...

Am i right in thinking you might have a postcards that says either 1,2,3,4 or 5 out of 5 with your Abyssal Dwarfs? Look great!

You may or may not be correct in this assumption. :p

Anyhoo, managed to get another 20 Skeletons done, bulking up the original Regiment to a Horde, as well as putting me at 180/200 for my little challenge, and 280/365 for the year.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic321.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic323.jpg

Even managed to get a movement tray done for them. Phew, 180 down, 20 to go. 4 days left, aye?

Saul Tarvitz
24-02-2011, 17:38
Cracking looking skeletons mate, the speed and quality of your work is astounding. With the transfers do you cut into them before applying them to the shield or do you paint over them once they've been applied?

gaarew
28-02-2011, 16:58
Cracking looking skeletons mate, the speed and quality of your work is astounding. With the transfers do you cut into them before applying them to the shield or do you paint over them once they've been applied?

Cheers dude. I tend to paint the shield, then add the transfers once dry, then I go back once they are dry and finish off that colour on the models and do the tarnishing.

So...

20 Skeleton spearmen, taking me up to 200/200 in Feb for lord marcus's little challenge. And an impressive 300/365 for my own.

It would have been 30, but I ran out of transfers so, ordered more, and will bulk the unit up to 40 once they arrive.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Mantic365-2011/Pic328.jpg

They may be getting a little field test tonight, so I'll try and sort out a pic or two if the light is good.

:D

minitrol
01-03-2011, 08:12
Looking great! On average how long does it take to paint a unit?

Llew
01-03-2011, 16:05
Guessing from his rate of production, about an hour. ;)

Seriously, Gaarew...this would be easier to take if your minis looked bad, but they look great AND you have a sick turnover rate.

Robert
01-03-2011, 17:48
Awesome painter and looks like Megan Fox...

Seriously good job my friend!

Yellow Field
19-03-2011, 17:51
This is the coolest Mantic blog that I've seen. Consider me subscribed!

Gadge
23-03-2011, 22:23
What he said ^

EmperorNorton
23-03-2011, 22:29
It's slightly disappointing to see that there aren't a trillion new models that have been done since my last visit..

Darsc Zacal
24-03-2011, 01:13
Gaarew's in the middle of moving house right now, otherwise I'm sure there would be 2 Trillion new mini's painted by now. ;)

strewart
24-03-2011, 02:09
He also has a new member in his family.

See Darsc? All we needed to do to stop him last year was give him a baby and a new house. All in hindsight now I guess..

Alsharoth
24-03-2011, 19:43
The moving is just an excuse, Mantic have run out of stock and having to put in on hold while they manufacture the bits.

Looking good.

mattjgilbert
18-06-2011, 22:26
Where do you get your transfers from?

Karak Norn Clansman
19-06-2011, 10:47

See Darsc? All we needed to do to stop him last year was give him a baby and a new house. All in hindsight now I guess..

Well, that's an acceptable excuse. Life's all about getting family and children. However, we do expect a new dose of awesomeness when he return. :chrome:

imm0rtal reaper
20-06-2011, 01:09
Excellent log so far. Looking forward to more!

gaarew
12-07-2011, 08:25
I wouldn't want this to end up deader than the main army in it...

Pretty much settled into the new house, with the new baby, and the new commission work success, so, time for a little update.

Looking great! On average how long does it take to paint a unit?

Well, that would depend entirely on the unit... 60 Zombies takes a little bit longer than 5 Wraiths. Probably not as much as you'd imagine though...

Guessing from his rate of production, about an hour. ;)

Seriously, Gaarew...this would be easier to take if your minis looked bad, but they look great AND you have a sick turnover rate.

Probably about an hour to do the Wraiths sounds about right. I have absolutely no concept of time, and tend to do a lot of forum browsing, coffee drinking and chain smoking between stages.

Sadly, my sick turnover rate has been applied to kitchen and bedroom walls and ceilings, and not minis, but, I've nearly finished the house, so I'm making some time for proper painting. :p

Awesome painter and looks like Megan Fox...

Seriously good job my friend!

This was probably aimed at the briefly flaunted MF avatar, or else Miss Fox has seriously let herself go since being booted from Transformers 3...

This is the coolest Mantic blog that I've seen. Consider me subscribed!

Welcome aboard!

What he said ^

What I said ^

It's slightly disappointing to see that there aren't a trillion new models that have been done since my last visit..

Sorry EN, but I just can't get the camera to focus on all trillion at once... I'll see if it works better only doing a couple of hundred at a time. ;)

Gaarew's in the middle of moving house right now, otherwise I'm sure there would be 2 Trillion new mini's painted by now. ;)

True that D. Although, 2 trillion is just the backlog.

If you want to give me a new house, feel free. Preferable one with good sunlight. Not that I like the sun much, but it helps taking better photos.

The moving is just an excuse, Mantic have run out of stock and having to put in on hold while they manufacture the bits.

Looking good.[/QUOTE

There is more truth to this than you'd think actually.

[QUOTE=mattjgilbert;5589930]Where do you get your transfers from?

Veni Vidi Vici Matt. But I told you that already elsewhere.

gaarew
12-07-2011, 08:29
Well, that's an acceptable excuse. Life's all about getting family and children. However, we do expect a new dose of awesomeness when he return. :chrome:

Does this count? Mantic Open Day entries.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/vamppeg.jpg

Which picked up Best Mounted Model.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/berserkfront.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/berserkback.jpg

Which picked up Best Foot Model and Best of Show (I think it was this one).

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/revcavunit.jpg

These guys foiled my clean sweep...

Excellent log so far. Looking forward to more!

How about -

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Project%20Alt%20Angmar/IMG_4488.jpg

Yes, because between adjusting to the new addition, moving house, working full time, commission work, painting my Kings of War armies, and everything else, I figured I'd try and convert some of the Lord of the Rings crowd to Mantic by doing a War of the Ring army too...

gaarew
12-07-2011, 08:31
More pictures of the Revenant Cavalry -

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/revcavchamp.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/revcavbanner.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y224/gaarew/Mantic/Open%20Day%202011/revcavmusician.jpg

So, that's what, a paltry 15 models... Probably not even worth counting them in the total... Especially seeing as 8 are on round bases, and 7 are most definately not going to be used for gaming...

strewart
12-07-2011, 09:56
I really like the grey colour scheme on the skeletons, very nice!

And once again, congratulations on 2 out of 3 winning. ;)

Dino
12-07-2011, 15:35
These look rather awsome. No wonder they won. But wait until next year. I plan on being there next year and I will give you a run for your money.

Valkyrie Sky
15-08-2011, 06:02
Can we see some blow up pic of the wraith champion? same large size as the standard bearer please? it looks nice!

bert n ernie
21-11-2011, 23:19
Hey Gaarew. Great stuff.
I was looking for Images of your Werewolf army (for the youtube version of the podcast). Any chance you can point me in their direction?

I sent you a PM, but I'm starting to wonder if either my PM's aren't working, or yours aren't.

Really great stuff in here,
Bert

Darsc Zacal
21-11-2011, 23:41
Hey Bert. I don't thing gaarew visits Warseer as much as he used to. You can see this thread hasn't been updated in months. I think you'd be better off contacting him through the Mantic Fanatics forum.

bert n ernie
22-11-2011, 09:03
That's where I PMed him, I'll try posting in a thread over there, as PMing hasn't seemed to have worked.

P.S.
Thanks very much for letting me know so soon.

gaarew
23-11-2011, 06:37
Sorry Bert, PM notification seemed to be off... I'll sort it out.

OK, we interrupt this (much neglected) plog to give you some round based nonsense.

Forgefathers Army Shot - includes the 5 extra troops from the set (there are actually 6, but only enough bases for 5)

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/Studio_gaarew/Mantic/Fate%20of%20the%20Forge%20Star/ffs.jpg

Jotunn Cannon

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/Studio_gaarew/Mantic/Fate%20of%20the%20Forge%20Star/jotunside.jpg

Marauders Army Shot - including Warlord

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/Studio_gaarew/Mantic/Fate%20of%20the%20Forge%20Star/marauderarmy.jpg

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/Studio_gaarew/Mantic/Fate%20of%20the%20Forge%20Star/marauders.jpg

Marauder Warlord

http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/l631/Studio_gaarew/Mantic/Fate%20of%20the%20Forge%20Star/warlord.jpg

So, that's another 63 to the total.

Leaving 2 to go before the end of the year. I'll try and make sure they are on square bases. ;)

Dino
23-11-2011, 07:29
Nice job. They all turned out rather well. Really like the forge fathers color scheme the most.

Also will you be painting abyssal Dwarves again soon?

Caiphas Cain
23-11-2011, 07:38
Gaarew, are the neck joints ball sockets or flat on the forge fathers? Nice painting, by the way. :D

Karak Norn Clansman
23-11-2011, 12:35
Those Forgefathers look really nice, although I'm less sure about the red muzzles. :)