PDA

View Full Version : The Battle of Five Armies Army

sturguard
01-01-2011, 19:11
Hey guys,

I was wondering what peoples thoughts about mixed race armies are all using a single army book. I am very much a model geek and very few of the armies have a set of models that I think is good enough to create a whole army (although I think the skaven line is awesome, I tend to stick to good guy armies). I was thinking today what if I made an empire army (I actually really dislike the whole empire army model line, the poofy pants thing just isn't my cup of tea) that used Men at Arms as halberdiers, hammerers as greatswords, elves as archers, well you get the picture. I would be using models that are equipped similarly and a vanilla army book that would encompass all the rules. I mean everyone knows the generic human stats of the empire, and all my models would have the proper armament, so how problematic would that be in a tourney? I don't play many games, I am more the modeler and painter rather than player, but I do enjoy a chance every once in awhile to attend a tourney. So, any input would be greatly appreciated.

snottlebocket
01-01-2011, 19:13
Hey I used to love the empire because it was so multi cultural. Back when I started it had humans of several cultures, dwarfs, halflings and ogres in the same list.

Can't say about the tourneys though, I loath the tournament mentality and stay far away from them.

Charistoph
02-01-2011, 03:02
It depends on who is hosting the tournament as to how much of a stickler they are for the models fitting the rules.

Many will let you get away with it if all the models are WYSIWYG (which you've already covered you're planning to do), and if they are Citadel models (again, you're already planning on doing). If you always go to tournaments at the same place, discuss it with them. That would give you the best idea of what to expect.

Personally, I think it would be fine, but I'm not a tournament organizer at all.

Pharolyx
03-01-2011, 00:10
I used to organize local tournaments and always encouraged model customization and basically everything opposite of WYSIWYG. And when I start running tournaments again here in the next 6 months or so, I'm still gonna be anti-WYSIWYG. I think that mentality really limits people's creativity.

Darwin_green
03-01-2011, 00:19
well, you could get away with some of that in an empire army with Dogs of war.

empire swordmen as the woodelf warriors(since they have higher WS and initiative ), spearmen and archers as the men of dale, then finally DoW dwarfs as well, dwarfs.

Charistoph
03-01-2011, 03:08
I used to organize local tournaments and always encouraged model customization and basically everything opposite of WYSIWYG. And when I start running tournaments again here in the next 6 months or so, I'm still gonna be anti-WYSIWYG. I think that mentality really limits people's creativity.

I think the case of WYSIWYG that the OP is planning on using is Hammerers for GreatSwords, where the weapon and armor style is properly represented on the model, as opposed to using Riflemen as Knights or Great Eagles as Helstorm Battery Launchers.

tmarichards
03-01-2011, 04:25
Try and get hold of the Dogs of War pdf, I think that's exactly what you're looking for.