PDA

View Full Version : + CMDante + Captain Korvydae

CMDante
01-01-2011, 18:32
I picked the Forgeworld Raven Guard Captain Korvydae up at GDUK 2010, but due to a general lack of hobby time, I've only just gotten around to starting work on him in the last week or so.

The figure is a great sculpt, lots of movement and aggression and a nicely sculpted face. It does suffer from the usual Forgeworld casting issues though, namely some nasty mould lines and strangely concave shapes and rough surfaces. This meant the clean up phase took a lot of sanding, trimming and some sculpting and milliput washing.

Due to the pose, with the weapon across the body and much of the nice detail on the chest hidden by this, I decided to paint it in sub-assemblies.

The first area I've been working on has been the body, the largest sub-assembly and one which helps set the colours and tone for the rest of the figure. As I'm a big fan of painting faces, I also did some early work on the skin on the head.

So here's where I'm currently at with him:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TRo8yRC3d1I/AAAAAAAAAKo/eW-jo7Dq4No/s1600/IMG_2694.JPG

As I'm currently trying to change my photo setup I took this one a little quickly and had to sharpen the image as a result - you can still see the work thats been done fine, but it looks a little rough in places.

Taking my time a bit with this one since it's my first fig since my GD entries last year, but hopefully I'll have some steady progress to show in the coming days.

Cheers,

Dante

Brother Alexos
01-01-2011, 19:21
YES!! I love your project logs, they always come out wonderful. Are you going to just do the single model, or are you going to include a retinue of some form?

spikyjames
01-01-2011, 19:40
Looking great as usual mate, got this mini to paint myself in a few weeks time so I'll be watching with interest.

I wouldn't mind the skin recipe though?

cheers

James

Mega Nutz
01-01-2011, 20:05
Good to see your back, brilliant work thus far!

Hushrong
01-01-2011, 20:11
Nice to see more of your work CMDante! Really like the work with skin color and the face, especially the eye and teeth.

CMDante
01-01-2011, 20:27
Thanks guys, good to be back at it!

SpikyJ - The skin recipe is as follows:

3rd Highlight(s) - Dheneb Stone (50%) White (50%) going up to pure white "spot lights" on key features such as nose, brow, cheek bones etc.
2nd Highlight - Dheneb Stone
1st Highlight - Dheneb Stone (70%) Tallarn Flesh (30%)
Mid-tone - Tallarn Flesh (60%) Dheneb Stone (40%)
1st Shade - Talarn Flesh (50%) Dheneb Stone (20%) Homogaunt Purple (30%)
2nd Shade - Talarn Flesh (50%) Dheneb Stone (10%) Homogaunt Purple (40%)

Though I've written these as staged ratios, that's not really how I apply them.

I use a wet palette so the mixing is done by eye and all stages are applied in very thin, numerous layers to create smoother transitions. So there are probably actually twice as many "layers", but because they are so thin, they dry quickly.

If you get a tide mark type line when either shading or highlighting, just go back in with some really thin mid-tone (but only a tiny amount on the brush to allow you to control it) and then blend the line back into the mid-tone.

Hopefully that makes some kind of sense, I'm not sure since it's hard to explain in writing!

EDIT - Oh and before I forget, here's a pic of my Fantasy Single GDUK entry that apparently was just pipped for bronze:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TRo40F_4JJI/AAAAAAAAAKg/MvGWu_FikIg/s1600/IMG_2697.JPG

Cheers,

Dante

Brother Alexos
01-01-2011, 21:21
Wow, I could see that as being silver easy. Good work, keep it up.

Karham
02-01-2011, 10:44
Uhh I love the skin tone, it represent very very well the palish skin of the Raven Guard! :D

Great job so far! I'll follow you :D

CMDante
03-01-2011, 16:34
Thanks guys.

Karhan - yeah I tried to get it quite light for that reason. There's a lot of white in e highlights on the higher areas of the face.

Been doing some more work on him today, just metallics and finishing up the body so maybe some new pics later.

Cheers,

Dante

Spider-pope
03-01-2011, 17:30
Very nice work on the Raven Guard's face. As for the Empire captain, you wuz robbed.

Monsterzonk
04-01-2011, 07:59
Finally! It's so great to have you back posting your work here! Korvydae is a very cool mini (I might paint one up for a friend), and I'm sure you'll do an amazing job. Cannot wait to see more of this!

Cheers,
Monsterzonk :skull:

CMDante
15-01-2011, 16:06
Done some more work on Korvydae over the last few days.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TTHMpy1h0EI/AAAAAAAAALY/g5PZ0HxrurY/s400/IMG_0017.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TTHR_vPxjcI/AAAAAAAAALw/Qm0Un4MsGpU/s400/captain_korvydae_face_cmdante.jpg

More pics can be seen on my blog (http://cmdante.blogspot.com) - http://cmdante.blogspot.com

Just the weapon (with other arm), jump pack and base to go. Had to create new vent tube things (the additional, very fragile bits that come with FW jump packs) using some wire and putty so the jump pack will be last to be finished.

Feel free to let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Dante

spikyjames
15-01-2011, 16:49
coming along rather nicely mate.

Is this just for display or are there plans for more?

James

CMDante
16-01-2011, 12:19
Ta mate.

Just for display - you know what I'm like when it comes to finishing even 1 model (painted 2 in total last year...).

It has got me considering finally doing some of my Space Hulk terminators though.

Does anyone with IA9 know if the Raven Guard 10th company have any peculiar markings or company colours? Haven't had a chance to look at the book or background on Korvydae yet.

Cheers,

Dante

Wolf Scout Ewan
16-01-2011, 12:47
Very nice job!

CMDante
17-01-2011, 18:17
I've become re-energised with regards to my blog since the holiday period, and after doing some painting at the weekend, decided to put together a short painting tips list of some of the less discussed painting tips I've picked up in the last few months.

The tips cover topics such as:

- Why using a bigger brush makes more sense than you might think

- How to hold sub-assemblies such as arms without using glue and pinning

- How to look after your best brushes properly

Painting Tips Collection I (http://cmdante.blogspot.com/2011/01/painting-tips-collection-i.html)

Would love to know what you guys think and if any of you have any unusual painting tips you'd like to share.

Hopefully you'll find something new there.

Cheers,

Dante

TheAmazingMikey
17-01-2011, 18:47
Fantastic work!

Any chance that when you do your Space Hulk minis you will do them as Raven Guard? I know it isn't very fluffy but they would look so cool next to your Korvydae.

Mega Nutz
17-01-2011, 20:05
Great palette, looks very realistic!

Hushrong
18-01-2011, 03:20
Korvydae looks great and that is an informative blog entry!

CMDante
18-01-2011, 08:49
Fantastic work!

Any chance that when you do your Space Hulk minis you will do them as Raven Guard? I know it isn't very fluffy but they would look so cool next to your Korvydae.

Afraid not mate. They were bought with the sole intention of being the first Blood Angels I'll have painted in over 15 years...

Plus I wouldnt be able to leave them with all that BA iconography and could see painting black armour getting boring quite quickly...:)

muggs
18-01-2011, 09:42
great work! Just read your blog, some interesting pieces of advice there. I hadnt thought of using cocktail sticks.

The scultp does seem to bear a passing resemblance to Zhufor, same geneseed/sculptor?

CMDante
18-01-2011, 14:30
Thanks!

Yeah, like I mentioned, I had been using them with glue or blu tac but was getting annoyed with the clean up work required, and the constant moving or falling off of the parts respectively.

I figured since the wood is quite soft and the ends are tapered, they could quite easily be made to have a snug fit without gluing or the part moving about - voila! It worked!

Yes, the similarity in faces was something I had noticed too. I wonder if they were sculpted from the same "base" face. I suspect this is probably the case!

Cheers,

Dante

TheAmazingMikey
18-01-2011, 17:47
Afraid not mate. They were bought with the sole intention of being the first Blood Angels I'll have painted in over 15 years...

Plus I wouldnt be able to leave them with all that BA iconography and could see painting black armour getting boring quite quickly...:)

Fair enough. I'm sure they will still look awesome! I missed out on the Space Hulk set and really love to see the conversions some have done with the Terminators.

CMDante
23-01-2011, 18:05
Just finished a new post for my blog with some sculpting proportions charts I made for humans and Space Marines and figured it might be of interest to some of your guys.

Miniature Sculpting Proportions Chart - Humans and Space Marines (http://cmdante.blogspot.com/2011/01/miniature-sculpting-proportions-chart.html)

I've assumed marines to be 8 feet tall as it is the commonly mentioned height in fluff etc. The chart includes proportions for humans in 30mm, 32mm, 35mm and 54mm and marines in 35mm and 54mm.

35mm seems to be the common GW scale these days and 54mm is included for =I= players.

I've also got some updates on Korvydae still to come too so stay tuned!

Cheers,

Dante

sigur
23-01-2011, 18:12
As usual with the stuff you do - excellent and very inspiring. Congrats on the Empire dude at the Golden Daemons and good job on the Ravenguard guy so far. The face looks nice indeed but it's a tad long for my liking. These bionics look pretty awesome though.

And thanks for the proportions chart. It's always great to have a look at your blog (one of the few blogs I actually bookmark. Maybe the only one even).

CMDante
23-01-2011, 18:33
Cheers mate. Yeah, I think it suffers a little from the usual proportion problems of marines but it's still a nice figure to paint.

I figured I'd share the proportions charts since I was making them myself anyway and found it pretty frustrating that I couldn't find any good ones online. The marines look pretty large compared to humans (I've actually tweaked them a touch smaller in my own charts purely for aesthetic purposes) but I tried to take into account the thickness of the armour and still have them as 8 feet tall (without armour).

The humans are all scaled for a 6 foot male but it shouldnt be too hard to tweak by eye from there for smaller characters.

Glad you like the blog!

Cheers,

Dante

CMDante
23-01-2011, 21:20
Pretty much finished the second arm bar some tidying up:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TTyogz8YZ3I/AAAAAAAAAM4/Fb-mH1qi4hg/s400/IMG_0055.JPG

Just the jump pack and base to go and I can move onto something else...

Really need to work on my lighting setup for pics - still not quite there yet.

Cheers,

Dante

sheep
23-01-2011, 21:28
Looks awesome to me mate, the face has so much character, and the tones you have throughout everything are just fantastic.

Cheers

Sheep

CMDante
09-02-2011, 21:12
Finished!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_psFzg_XH4cc/TVMQ2LqSQgI/AAAAAAAAAOM/10v3v9fSx5M/s1600/IMG_0062.JPG

Some more pics from different angles on my blog (http://cmdante.blogspot.com/2011/02/captain-korvydae-finished.html)

Cheers,

Dante

Memnon
09-02-2011, 22:24
Wow. It's so good it looks real! Amazing, perfect, stunning job really, I can't compliment it much more without sounding all gushy...

Just... Wow!

Memnon