PDA

View Full Version : Lazy Terraformer's wishlist.

Chem-Dog
02-01-2011, 03:49
What would you like GW to make scenery/terrain wise and why?
I know it can all be made without having to buy more citadel kits BUT many of us tabletop generals have trouble getting an army or three done let alone all the additional hastle of constructing a viable set of terrain that doesn't look like Bogroll City, Great Wastes of Bookworld or the Ancient Catacombs of Po-Ly-Styrene. I like my battlefield to be as vibrant and exciting to look at as my Army, so indulge me ;)

My top two in reverse order because the top one makes a lot less sense without first mentioning the second, trust me ;)

Rivers. Sounds silly, I know, but there was a time when virtually no 40K battlefield was complete without a body of water, I miss those days.

Now, GW has been selling flat pieces of plastic (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440151a&prodId=prod1095472) for years, we know they can do it.
So produce some 6"X6" (for example) squares of plastic with a few "banks" (complete with the obligatory Pile'O'Skulls™) to allow you to make a straight, a curve, a ford or even a pond or marsh and you're laughing, you could even have bank options to allow you to make an artificial waterway like a canal or aquaduct. Individual stretches could be doubled up to make wider stretches of water and they could be easily trimmed to make any kind of angle one could desire. If you want to get really funky with it you can add a bunch of accessories to put in (on) the water like ripples, reeds, rocks, fish, tentacles, a half sunk row-boat, barrels or crates, disgarded Auspex and so-on......yes, and a skeleton :rolleyes: With a sellection of ripples or surface disturbances sculpted on to the accessories.
What's even better, is it's not platform specific, It can easily be used for 40K WHFB or the one that shall not be named.

On a similar line of thinking, Roads. Flat sections possibly detailed with small blast holes, A Pile'O'Skulls™ and other road related scenic pieces with edges like a raised curb including parts to allow you to make T and X junctions, corners, dead ends and whatnot. Possibly an alternative coblestone/brick detail on the other side for Warhammerers.

Now to my number 1. A Bridge. You see, it makes more sense to put the water first, doesn't it?
A nice big objective to fight over AND a fancy piece of terrain that won't look out of place on a table regardless of how much Imperial Architecture is or isn't present.
Now this kit would be fairly chunky when assembled, it'd have to comfortably fit 40K's largest tank (not counting Apoc or FW) which as far as I'm aware is the Landraider. It would probably have to allow something of a similar size to fit under it too but much of it will be fairly thin strips or panels of plastic and anyone who's assembled a Skyshield will know how much a handful of thin sections of plastic can come together to make something rather impressive.
Obviously the kit would be modular allowing you to build a longer and/or wider model and it would have to have a certain amount of compatibility with the existing 40K sets such as the CoD stuff and the Bastion. It wouldn't have to be over a river but it certainly wouldn't hurt to have the possibility, it would make a nice crossing for a road too.
Of course the kit wouldn't be any use for WHFB if it were to look suitably 40K but after seeing the Tower of Sorcery, I'm sure that WHFB can fend for itself.

So what stuff would you want?

DISCLAIMER.
My reason for wanting Waterways, rivers, canal, aquaducts, ponds and marshes in my 40K games is, in no way influenced by the fact I have a Steel Legion force that's entirely mounted in Amphibious transports....:shifty:

Hellebore
02-01-2011, 03:58
I've never found rivers particularly gratifying when they're sitting on top of the table, they just look off. Carving them into the table is better if a bit more permanent.

I would like to see some alien terrain. People go on about how marines/imperials are the most popular etc which is why they get all the stuff, but it's quite bizarre that all the ruined buildings are imperial.

Shouldn't they be making filthy xenos ruins to pose your conquering heroes on top of, rather than the bombed out habitations of their own people? Apparently they can only defend already destroyed imperial buildings...:D

But yeah, tau, necron, eldar and nid terrain would be sweet. Ork terrain maybe, but it's too ramshackle to be convincingly made imo. Perhaps a plastic bag full of differently textured plasticard sheets and some 1:72 girder rod? :p

Or maybe they can make an ork building skeleton and give you a bunch of different bits that can be affixed to it however you like. It would allow more flexibility of the building and stop ork buildings from all looking identical.

Hellebore

Born Again
02-01-2011, 03:59
I'd second the river option. They're fairly easy to make yourself, but if they can make and sell just about everything else, then why not? A bridge set to go with it and I'd consider getting one, if I had the money to blow.

Apart from that, I'd say buildings/ terrain for other races. They do Ork Barricades, and FW does the Tyranid spires, but rather than assorted different Imperial buildings, how about an Ork hut kit? Or a Tau building, or Eldar Warp Gate?

Grimbad
02-01-2011, 05:25
But yeah, tau, necron, eldar and nid terrain would be sweet. Ork terrain maybe, but it's too ramshackle to be convincingly made imo. Perhaps a plastic bag full of differently textured plasticard sheets and some 1:72 girder rod? :p

Or maybe they can make an ork building skeleton and give you a bunch of different bits that can be affixed to it however you like. It would allow more flexibility of the building and stop ork buildings from all looking identical.

Alternatively, they could go with the simple adobe architecture Orks used to use, which would look a lot less weird in duplicate, especially with ramshackle bitz added on.

rodmillard
02-01-2011, 14:07
Alternatively, they could go with the simple adobe architecture Orks used to use, which would look a lot less weird in duplicate, especially with ramshackle bitz added on.

Done properly, with lots of optional extras, I could see an "ork settlement" kit being usable in both 40K and WFB, depending on which bitz you add to it...

Chem-Dog
02-01-2011, 16:44
I've never found rivers particularly gratifying when they're sitting on top of the table, they just look off. Carving them into the table is better if a bit more permanent.

Well, my initial idea was for a couple of sections for the Realm of Battle set but that's a lot less universal as most of us will baulk at the thought of 150 plus extra for the additional river-y bits.

I would like to see some alien terrain. People go on about how marines/imperials are the most popular etc which is why they get all the stuff, but it's quite bizarre that all the ruined buildings are imperial.

Shouldn't they be making filthy xenos ruins to pose your conquering heroes on top of, rather than the bombed out habitations of their own people? Apparently they can only defend already destroyed imperial buildings...:D

Agreed. I'd love to see ruined Eldar terrain pieces, not just random spars of wraithbone.

nedius
02-01-2011, 17:19
I'd like a set of 3" tall walls.

My idea would be a boxed set that included two corner bits (perhaps designed so that they could be combinted to be an x junction), two solid sections about 6" long, one 6" damaged bit, and two end bits.

The walls would be the same dimensions as 3 bits of the CoD sets, so they could be combined.

I'd see this fulfilling a role that most GW sets don't currently - providing some proper LoS blocking terrain so that TLoS becomes important again.