PDA

View Full Version : Query about Marine Salamander colour schemes

andyg2006
03-01-2011, 11:36
(Hope this is the right forum, but not sure).

Hi all,
Just a query about Space Marine Salanader Chapter colour schemes:

I know that the usual codex scheme is the green + black one, but back in the I recall that there was one which was virtually all really dark (almost black), but using a blue green/turquoise(?) with stylised yellow flames.

Just wondering if anyone has any images? Or if people remember this? Or if it's just my own fevered imaginings?

Any advice gratefully received, ta!
AndyG.

stainawarjar
03-01-2011, 11:48
Not this (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/4/43/SalamandersOld.jpg) one?

Lord Damocles
03-01-2011, 11:48
Well it's NOT from Rogue Trader or the Warhammer 40,000 Compendium.

Inquisitor S.
03-01-2011, 14:52
Hm, with turquoise doesn't really ring a bell..

AlphariusOmegon20
03-01-2011, 15:06
Sallies have always been Green with Black for at least the last ten years. if not longer. The one stainawarjar linked to is from RT.

AndrewGPaul
03-01-2011, 15:54
That yellow and black scheme is from the old Badab War article in WD 103. After that, the Salamanders next appeared in 1st edition Space Marine in the same dark green as the Dark Angels (which was their first outing in dark green, too). At that point, they had flame-themed markings, but no visible company colours (they were all in infra-red, apparently. See the old A5 Space Marine Painting Guide from the Space Marine Paint Set for more details). Other than cropping up on the cover of the Battle For Armageddon (http://boardgamegeek.com/image/174259/battle-for-armageddon?size=large) board game, that was it for the Samalanders until they got a third colour scheme in the 3rd edition Codex: Armageddon.

andyg2006
07-01-2011, 19:54
Yep, Battle For Armageddon was the one - thanks to all!
(I always thought it looked a whole load better than just the regular green + black).
Now to try to replicate the colours....hmm...

AndrewGPaul
08-01-2011, 00:12
Yep, Battle For Armageddon was the one - thanks to all!
(I always thought it looked a whole load better than just the regular green + black).
Now to try to replicate the colours....hmm...

Basecoat black, highlight with Dark Angels Green. Basically, you want a roughly similar shade to Dark Angels, or possibly a little darker. If you want a more complex recipe, add a touch of green to the black basecoat, and dull down the Dark Angels Green with a drop of dark red - just enough to make it a bit less "primary". The yellow right leg is, IIRC, a campaign badge (presumably for Armageddon, although it could be for one battlezone specifically). The pattern on the right shoulder of the bare-headed guy looks to be the heraldry of an officer, although it doesn't match any of the patterns given in the Space Marine Painting Guide.