PDA

View Full Version : Pre heresy Dark Angels and more

Sar Luther
04-01-2011, 07:14
Hello all, I'm new to Warseer and really the 40k table top game in general.I've long been a fan of warhammer 40k and i play the games and read the books. What really inspired my army is I was looking upon these forums and i found this: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252687. Although mine won't be as nearly good as his, I will try my best to get close :D the horus heresy books and the artwork on them are also quite inspiring for my models and their armor, weapons, etc. Wierdly enough however, this is my VERY first army ever, so I really don't know how to paint yet. I do think I'm a good enough modeler though :)

Atm, I only have 15 marines including 3 special weapons, a captain, and possibly either a champion for honor gaurd or sergeant or something else(depending on which codex i decide to use). Please don't judge my work too harshly as I'm brand new to all of this. Most of my force is primed already save for a few, but I'm still in the process of making the army, so its a work in progress. :D Feel free to ask me any questions on what i did or used. I try to be as fluff accurate as possible with these guys(meaning no mkVII, no modern weapon patterns, and older style backpacks. That pretty much means my army is almost all made up of the forge world stuff that recently came out[part of the reason i started this up]) After I finish this army,which will take a while, I plan to maybe do a pre heresy iron warriors or pre heresy blood angels.

P.S. Since I'm quite new and I'm still deciding on some things, progress will be very slow indeed, so please bare with me.

Izzy Logan
04-01-2011, 15:24
Good luck with it Chumrade. Always pleasant to see a well executed pre-heresy army.

Alvena
04-01-2011, 15:31
Post some Pics !! I need my image fix.

go back lurking in the grim darkness of warseer

Sar Luther
04-01-2011, 22:37
I'm not sure if my other replies went through, but the mod has restricted my posting since i brought back a 2 year old thread i thought was interesting which is against the rules i guess. Now progress will be even slower as I can't even post regularly! :mad: just in case the other pics did not go through, here they are again. If the others pop up ill just delete these.

These two are my Champion and Captain. I experimented on the champion's helmet to try and make it more dark angels-ish. The Captain(right) is really my piece de resistance. I tried giving him a noble pose as he leads the troops to battle with his relic blade and winged back pack, in MkIII armor ofc. The champion im not sure what mark he would be although i used the MKVI torso(only because my MkIV forge world shipment hasn't arrived yet) and MKIII shoulder pads. So I guess he could be considered mkIV because of the helmet.
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7163/phphcfdmvpm.jpg

these are two marines made heavily of the dark angels veterans sprue. The helmetless one I am thinking on perhaps making him a sergeant in the future.
http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/5711/php6q5zqzpm.jpg

Here we have 2 corvus pattern armors. The one on the left if you notice is a raven guard ally. The one on the right is a mixture of MkIII body with mk VI head and back pack.
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3931/php2zgqb6pm.jpg

These two are my newest addition. for those who don't know the pre heresy weapons, they are the rocket launcher and meltagun. I was thinking on perhaps making a devastator squad with them but they don't really look the part, you know? the rocket launcher marine is a version of maybe mk IV armor? And the one with the melta gun is mainly Forge world MKIII with a head from black templars upgrade sprue. I shaved off the T ring on his head and trimmed the ear pieces in an attempt to make the helmet more like MKIII. I may in the future trim the ear pieces even more.
http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/562/phpip5fkyam.jpg

These are two of my favorite. Both are MkIII armor, which if you cant tell by now, is my favorite mark by far (:. As the left marine and my winged helm marine are basically exactly alike, i shaved off the brow of the helmet and gave him a bayonet, oath of moment, and a dark angels insignia on the back pack. The one on the right is made heavily of The blood angels death company sprue(torso,legs, arms, and helm) When i saw it in the store, i knew this would work perfectly with my army so i had to have it.
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/9868/phpkvyae6am.jpg

Arnizipal
05-01-2011, 11:50
Now progress will be even slower as I can't even post regularly! :mad:
Give us some time to approve your posts ;)

Sar Luther
05-01-2011, 14:23
Give us some time to approve your posts ;)

can't i just post freely like everyone else? :cries:

Arnizipal
05-01-2011, 14:38
Patience... :shifty:

Alvena
05-01-2011, 16:48
ahh sweet pics :)

interesting mix of wargear.
keep it up, it 's a pleasure.
Count me subcribed.

Ante64
06-01-2011, 13:01
Nice! keep up the good work ^^ Looking forward to see more

Mannerheim
06-01-2011, 13:12
Nice work with the FW kit!!!

Sar Luther
07-01-2011, 18:47
thanks! :D For the moment this is all I have and I've primed the rest of the guys, so an all black army!

darksidemonkey
08-01-2011, 05:45
Like the look of the figs, it captures the essence of the chapter. Not sure of the DA fluff that has been written recently as to when they changed the chapter armour colour from black to the current green. In the original 40K Rogue Trader book they were black, and they did the Deathwing in white when Space Hulk was released. This could give you the option of having some ancient armour still in the black to reflect the age of it. Just an idea. Look forward to seeing more of your conversions... may have a couple of squads of marines that could be done as Dark Angels. Keep up the great work.

Sar Luther
09-01-2011, 22:11
Like the look of the figs, it captures the essence of the chapter. Not sure of the DA fluff that has been written recently as to when they changed the chapter armour colour from black to the current green. In the original 40K Rogue Trader book they were black, and they did the Deathwing in white when Space Hulk was released. This could give you the option of having some ancient armour still in the black to reflect the age of it. Just an idea. Look forward to seeing more of your conversions... may have a couple of squads of marines that could be done as Dark Angels. Keep up the great work. Thats kind of the idea D: they're all ancient. I might throw in some green tints but they're gonna be mostly black. Its supposed to be a dark angel army from before the horus heresy, 10,000 years before the current 40k dark angels. Back then they were a legion not a chapter :eek:

npow34
10-03-2011, 15:52
Liking the start here M8! Great use of the FW armor varients. I also plan on doing a pre-heresy Dark Angels army. Which is sad given I have not even finished my Space Wolves or Imperial Fists. I blame Black Library for this!!! I am reading "Decent of Angels"...amazing btw and I was hooked! That and ofcourse my Lion El'Jonson mini I just got!!!
Anyways look forward to some updates soon and also to see some paint splased on!

Horus Aximand
10-03-2011, 19:08
I am reading "Decent of Angels"...amazing btw and I was hooked! That and ofcourse my Lion El'Jonson mini I just got!!!
Anyways look forward to some updates soon and also to see some paint splased on!

"Decent" was the wrong word to describe the latter half of that book though.

I'm liking what I'm seeing so far, but any updates on the painting?

FabricatorGeneralMike
12-03-2011, 16:36
I am liking the vibe of these guys. I guess I have a soft spot for the guys in black that switch to the guys in dark green a little later.

Also did you wash the FW parts that you got? I have found that with FW stuff there is usually a layer of release agent that is on the models. If this isn't washed off with warm water ( not hot just warm) and dishwashing soap I have found that the release agent will bleed through the paint work and your models paint will start to bubble and fall off.

Good luck and I hope to see more soon.

Apothecarian
21-12-2011, 13:12
Hey, you are doing good. When you feel overwhelmed, remember, baby steps when you first start out. So far, nice start.

-Apothecarian