PDA

View Full Version : Sieges and the Wood Elf free wood?

Jerubaal
04-01-2011, 12:17
Wood Elves get a 'free' wood in pitched battles and a siege is a type of pitched battle.
As an attacker, it is easy to work out where the deploment area is. But where can a besieged wood elf army place its free wood?
Fluff-wise: Since the fortress is a wood elf one, there will certainly be woods about - why else would they have grown a fortress there?!

(I also posted on Asrai.org, but I need non-Wood-Elf player comments, too, so am posting here as well)

Haravikk
04-01-2011, 12:42
I'm not sure there's a way to resolve it rules-wise, this seems like something that's best agreed between opponents, for example allowing the wood to be placed within 12" of the fortress without blocking any gates.
Either that or not allowing the free wood in such cases.

Odin
04-01-2011, 14:53
The free wood is only for normal pitched battles - in 8th edition that means the 6 scenarios you roll a dice for normally. You don't get the wood for Siege battles or any other scenarios.

Jerubaal
04-01-2011, 15:47
The free wood is only for normal pitched battles - in 8th edition that means the 6 scenarios you roll a dice for normally. You don't get the wood for Siege battles or any other scenarios.

Fair point for 8th Ed. I'm still with 7th Ed (that's what the campaign started in), so have never looked at the 8th Ed rulebook...

SkawtheFalconer
04-01-2011, 15:58
In 7th ed rules, I'd argue that a siege is a scenario, therefore no free wood (it's for pitched battle only, as previously stated by earlier poster). However, can't hurt to ask opponent. :)

Malorian
04-01-2011, 17:06
Fair point for 8th Ed. I'm still with 7th Ed (that's what the campaign started in), so have never looked at the 8th Ed rulebook...

In 7th ed a pitch battle was only the regular battle, anything different doesn't allow you the free forest.

At any rate, sieges are suppost to be one of a kind fun games, and although you want to stay competitive the last thing you want to do is to ruin it by being a rules lawyer.

Both players need to decide how things will be set up to provide the best game possible in terms of fluff, game mechanics, and just plain having fun.

Odin
04-01-2011, 17:52

OK then, that means you can only use the free wood for the Pitched Battle scenario in the 7th edition rulebook. The Wood Elf book is pretty clear on this.

PeG
05-01-2011, 10:48
As Odin said before you should be able to get the free wood in any of the scenarios that you roll a dice for but not in other special scenarios such as the siege. Only allowing it in pitched battles from the 7th book would be a bit harsh on the poor elves. In my experience they need all help they can get in 8th unless you give them a few house rules (including some about woods). Hopefully they will get a new book soon.

Jerubaal
05-01-2011, 11:06
Hopefully they will get a new book soon.

lol, just as well I am so busy the new book will arrive before I have had a dozen games. No, really :(