PDA

View Full Version : 8 Gorger mass.

IGoblinego
05-01-2011, 16:17
Skrag the Slaughterer and 8 gorger mass, hows it stands in 2000 Pts. Game?

Col. Dash
05-01-2011, 16:39
Whats a gorger? Who is Skrag?

snottlebocket
05-01-2011, 16:42

Gorgers are the unbreakable ogre solo's that can enter the game from any table edge. Skrag is a special character that lets you take more of them.

Gorgers are by far the most annoying thing in ogre armies, more is probably not bad.

minionboy
05-01-2011, 16:50
Why did you even post?

On a related note, here are some things to remember when using mass gorgers. Gorgers will rarely break an enemy unit, no matter what, if the enemy has a front rank, then they're going to be steadfast against you. Gorgers can charge turn 3 the earliest, since they count as coming on as if pursuing an enemy. In Battle for the Pass, they will only be able to come in from either of the far sides.

With that in mind, I still love and use a pair of gorgers, but I don't think that they will do anything special in larger numbers.

Malorian
05-01-2011, 16:54
Gorgers aren't what they were in 7th.

With more attacks coming his way he won't last as long, and his killing blow even means less now that you see less armor.

So you could take on to go after warmachines, but I bet taking a unit of 3 naked bulls, although more expensive, would do the just just as well (and as fast) but are more dependable and useful in more situations.

IGoblinego
05-01-2011, 17:04
So solution: Kinda but not really? :D

Malorian
05-01-2011, 17:13
So solution: Kinda but not really? :D

If you own 8 of them then try them out for fun, but otherwise stick with what works (hordes of plain bulls).

Col. Dash
05-01-2011, 19:02
I post because OK are perhaps the least well known army in the game being the newest and least played besides TK. I figured thats what army they were from. In the OK army, probably like most casual players, I only know the normal units, bulls, leadbelchers, scrap launchas, rhinox riders, and slave giants, oh and gnoblars. In 15 years of playing fantasy I have played against OK a total of twice and one of those was a huge multiplayer game years ago. So yes "what are Gorgers" and "who is Skrag" are legitimate questions if asking tactics questions.

Individual, unbreakable models would likely be pretty nasty against gunline armies but since I am guessing they are expensive and have an expensive SC in an already expensive army, I dont see how they would help much against other armies, aside from the psychological effect of being something new and very unexpected which isnt to be underestimated.

Malorian
05-01-2011, 19:09
Individual, unbreakable models would likely be pretty nasty against gunline armies but since I am guessing they are expensive and have an expensive SC in an already expensive army, I dont see how they would help much against other armies, aside from the psychological effect of being something new and very unexpected which isnt to be underestimated.

Small elite armies are the last thing you would want against a shooty army.

ftayl5
07-01-2011, 22:20
Small elite armies are the last thing you would want against a shooty army.

Definitely.

But hey I've tried the Skrag army once or twice, with 8 Gorgers at 3500pts. Less than that, you probably aren't going to have enough main army to take on your opponents army and the gorgers aren't that much of a threat if your force doesn't attack with the gorgers.

But at 3500pts I played a Bretonnian army with it and their two units closest to the flanks got 4 gorgers in the flank (each), killed a heap of knights and lost a few gorgers but they were unbreakable and held up the units for a while.

Then the main units in the middle had no support and got crushed.

So in that case it worked. But maybe that was a lucky case.

Morkash
08-01-2011, 16:55
The problem is that you cannot rely on them coming in the same turn (only with Skrag). In a bad case scenario they arrive one by one and are either ignored, hunted down or they get shot. :( If everything works out good, ftayl5' description is good, then they can be quite killy and hard to get rid off.

Agoz
09-01-2011, 04:33
First, you can only have 6 gorgers in a 2000 pt army, as they are 2 for 1 special choices. As to their effectiveness, well, they are very good against warmachines, but will probably be killed against anything more substantial unless Skragg has gotten a lot of kills already. As to their price, at 850 pts for skragg and 6 gorgers, there probably is a better way to spend the points. If you are taking skragg however, 2 to 4 gorgers should be enough.

saitani
09-01-2011, 07:39
You can have 8 6 as special and 2 as rare. When i first started with ogres my plan was to use skrag and 6 gorgers but i found out that skrag just died to fast and a tyrant/sloughtermaster is just much better. And no one expects a single charge with my sloughter master with siegebreaker munching up a screaming bell:P

Torpedo Vegas
09-01-2011, 07:49
You can have 8 6 as special and 2 as rare. When i first started with ogres my plan was to use skrag and 6 gorgers but i found out that skrag just died to fast and a tyrant/sloughtermaster is just much better. And no one expects a single charge with my sloughter master with siegebreaker munching up a screaming bell:P

That is dirty:cheese:.
On the subject of the gorgers, I think it would be fun, but not effective, just because you stand to lose a lot of points if that unit gets killed, and they aren't likely to kill a massed infantry block (Skaven, Empire, Orcs, I am looking at you.)

Agoz
14-01-2011, 00:08

the slaughterer's army special rule says that gorgers are special choices, not that they can be taken as special or rare, they cease to be rare choices, so 6 is the maximum.