PDA

View Full Version : All mounted Tomb Kings --> take a look

TheDrugLordX
19-03-2006, 00:51
Ok, so I've had plans on an all-mounted TK list for a while, and would like your oppinions on the following list:

2000pts - Tomb Kings of Khemri

Tomb King - 306pts (General)
-Flail of Skulls, Crown of Kings
-Light Armour, Shield, Chariot

Icon Bearer - 172pts
-Banner of the Hidden Dead
-Light Armour, Chariot

Liche Priest - 160pts (Hierophant)
-Cloak of the Dunes, Hieratic Jar

Liche Priest - 168pts
-Staff of Ravening
-Skeletal Steed

3 Chariots - 210pts (joined by TK)
-Icon of the Sacred Eye
-Standard Bearer, Champion

3 Chariots - 120pts (joined by icon bearer)

16 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen - 316pts
-War Banner
-Full Command

16 Skeleton Heavy Horsemen - 291pts
-Full Command

7 Skeleton Light Horsemen - 98pts (hidden in banner)

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen - 70pts (joined by liche priest)

Tomb Scorpion - 85pts

Total: 1996pts
Models: 57
Power Dice: 2
Dispel Dice: 4

HEROES: 806pts (26%)
CORE: 1105pts (36%)
SPECIAL: 85pts (2%)
RARE: 0pts (0%)

I used to be an expert TK player, but I 1) havn't played TK for a while and 2) havn't ever played an all-mounted army before.

Any comments are appreciated!:)

EDIT: I noticed some errors :P

leeoaks
19-03-2006, 02:18
its not all mounted and to be honest it looks a little weak to me....you dont hav enough hard hitting stuff...the tomb prince and the scorpion are your lot. i just cant see the list working at all! at most you do four incantations an some bound stuff, any experienced players will know what to dispel! sorry for being harsh but i know if i went up against this i'd stand a high chance of winning!

oma
19-03-2006, 08:21
the horsemen (light and heavy) are just crap, they are the worst horsemenn in the entire game, you are better of having some more chariots, or ushabti's, just dont take the horsemenn...

Cpt. Drill
19-03-2006, 11:46
EDIT: I noticed some errors :P

I must say I am suprised to see this guy... *Sigh*

You are under estimating Ushabti and Tomb Gaurd..... and overestimating everything else!

Chuffy
19-03-2006, 12:06
-War Banner
-Full Command

-Full Command

7 Skeleton Light Horsemen - 98pts (hidden in banner)

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen - 70pts (joined by liche priest

OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL!

Not only do you take the worst cavalry unit in the game...you take a large unit of them! TWO LARGE UNITS. Cavalry units do not work if they are over 5 models strong...TK 'heavy' cavalry just don't work anyway.

TheDrugLordX
19-03-2006, 12:27
Kinda what I expected from ya;)

its not all mounted and to be honest it looks a little weak to me....you dont hav enough hard hitting stuff...the tomb prince and the scorpion are your lot. i just cant see the list working at all! at most you do four incantations an some bound stuff, any experienced players will know what to dispel! sorry for being harsh but i know if i went up against this i'd stand a high chance of winning!
The point with an all-mounted army (IMO) is an army consisting of solely movement 7+ units, like this army does. I could though include Bone Giants if I want to, since they do have movement 6.

The whole idea of this army is to combine the units to do flank charges and use outnumbering fear to destroy my enemy. This list will struggle against fearless opponents, I know that, but otherwise I know it could work...

thanks for your replies, I'll reconsider somethings...

Flypaper
19-03-2006, 12:44
Not only do you take the worst cavalry unit in the game...you take a large unit of them! TWO LARGE UNITS.
On the contrary, if he's going to take them at all he needs to take them in large blocks and give 'em a Warbanner. These puppies do have one thing going for them, and that's a decent price-to-unit-strength ratio combined with their movement value > 4.

...Translation: if you want TK heavy cavalry, run 'em at least 12+ and rely on the autobreak. :angel:

I'd probably advise against the fast cavalry in units larger than the minimum, though. They can still negate ranks after taking a couple of hits, and you don't want the extra frontage if you're flanking - why let the other guy attack you back?

Other positives, 'cause I'm a positive guy:
- Everyone runs at more or less the same speed, so you won't have to wait for anyone.
- TK w/crown, LP, LP is enough magic to get you by, no problems.

Coupla negatives:
- If you're autobreaking everyone on Fear, where are your Carrion? You need 'em to run down anyone fleeing anywhere on the board!
- You're short on ways of flushing skirmishers out of woods.

...Come to think of it, a Terror causer might help there, though Bone Giants are hard to squeeze in. Drop the Flail and experiment with the Death Mask?

DeathlessDraich
19-03-2006, 15:27
The only 'fast' tomb king army I've seen that caused problems is an all chariot army, even then it was easily beaten by Ogre Kingdoms and Daemonic Legions.
I tend to play a defensive style with my tomb kings which has no cavalry and seldom manages a victory, so if you do have success with a modified list let me know!

TheDrugLordX
19-03-2006, 16:38
I'm used to play a balanced style TK army, that is neither the defensive style nor the all-offensive style. The defensive style doesn't appeal to me much, so that's why I've had thoughts about this army:D

The basic idea of this army was to create a truly unique army with a striking theme. Well, as noone plays with 32 heavy horsemen this army is kinda unique, and the theme... well I love it:angel: I'm mainly aiming for looks, the heavy horsemen arn't maybe that cool induvidually, but with some light conversions and in huge units they'll look stunninggly good!

I've had thoughts on skipping the crown of kings for the Death Mask, but I kinda feel that the magic is needed better than terror.

I won't drop the flail, since that makes him the only unit in this army capable of causing severe damage.

Elannion
19-03-2006, 18:56
If you have success with the cavalry then tell me how they go, i can't see tomb king cavalry being too great but you never know. I am rather a chariot fan myself though, but i do commend you on your putting the theme first.

I always liked the idea of an army using no constructs but i don't like skeleton warriors they don't seem to be a very self supporting unit so it would be nice if this cavalry worked (i realise you have a scorpion in there). I would suggest some more chariots in there though, cause they seem to be pretty effective sometimes and quite a nice price.

lord_blackfang
19-03-2006, 19:27
Didn't an all-mounted TK army win HEAT2 two years ago? I believe it had 4 Scorpions, 2-3 large Heavy Cav blocks and a load of Light Cav.

So the list might work, but I'd drop the Icon Bearer and replace him with 2 more Scorpions. Wasting 170 pts so one crappy unit can appear behind the enemy is so not worth it.

TheDrugLordX
19-03-2006, 21:26
Well, that "crappy unit" won me a game once, by itself (more or less).

What happened was that I summoned the unit in the midst of a Night Gobbo army. As I suspected all units had 2-3 fanatics and they immediately emerged, slaying his own warmachines, spellcasters and cavalry units.

After they had emerged, my 2 chariot units had nothing to fear and wiped the board... unit after unit...

And i really don't think that 2 scorpions would help this army that much. All they can do, more or less, is kill warmachine crew/mages whilst doing life hard for scouting units. What I need is hard hitting units, scoprions are simply not powerful enough.

What I've considered though is adding in a prince, in chariot, with blade of setep for some better armour killing. Instead of the icon bearer and a light horsemen or 2.

please continue posting, I need inspiration to how improve the list whilst still keeping it cool and themed:cool:

Chuffy
19-03-2006, 21:42
Well, that "crappy unit" won me a game once, by itself (more or less).

What happened was that I summoned the unit in the midst of a Night Gobbo army. As I suspected all units had 2-3 fanatics and they immediately emerged, slaying his own warmachines, spellcasters and cavalry units.

After they had emerged, my 2 chariot units had nothing to fear and wiped the board... unit after unit...

So...it was actually fanatics that won you the game.;)

jansenm
19-03-2006, 23:59
OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL!

Not only do you take the worst cavalry unit in the game...you take a large unit of them! TWO LARGE UNITS. Cavalry units do not work if they are over 5 models strong...TK 'heavy' cavalry just don't work anyway.

I agree they are THE worst calvary unit in the game

*16 points
*cant march
*harder to raise
*weak

but he must take large units for undead armies as he can raise the well....
dead ones
other wise the enemy can shoot one meaning he'll take a break test and it will crumble to dust not being able to bring it back agian

Flypaper
20-03-2006, 01:02
other wise the enemy can shoot one meaning he'll take a break test and it will crumble to dust not being able to bring it back agian
...Er, you don't "crumble" off a panic test, which I assume is what you were talking about. And TK troops don't take panic tests, so it's neither here nor there! :angel:

Mad Makz
20-03-2006, 05:01
Large units of Heavy Cav with the warbanner are very very very effective when incanted in to opposing units. They will auto break anything in the game if they hit a flank, as long as that unit isn't immune to psychology. With incantations hitting that flank isn't too hard.

What I'd suggest with this list though is to go for a single unit of 5 chariots, plus the Tomb King, and replace the Icon Bearer with a tomb prince in a chariot to also go in this unit (Drop the champion, you won't need him). This unit on it's own will be very hard to stop, as you will have plenty of opportunity to impel the unit (Tomb Prince's 1 dice, tomb Kings 2 dice pick the highest, plus the liche priests incantations will mean they will need a lot of dice to have a chance at stopping a magical charge from them.).

Frankly
20-03-2006, 05:03
I like the list, I thihk its good.

I don't like the BSB bearer set up, an extra priest is more effective over the long run. Constantly having the ability to use I.o.Urgency is vastly more important to an cavalry undead armylist than the 'one use' Standard of the Hidden sands. An extra priest gives you dispel dice, more spell options, more incantations, an allround better hero option IMO.

I think large units of heavy cavalry are awesome, I've always wanted to give them ago after seeing how effective they can be in a friends armylist.

But I never thought anything good about light cavalry, the roll of light cavalry can be covered by adding more chariots which are a bertter flanking unit.

I'd think that Carrion would be a better unit than a Scorpion, much more quicker, they have the ability to first turn charge in an armylist like this as well.

TheDrugLordX
20-03-2006, 14:45
What I'd suggest with this list though is to go for a single unit of 5 chariots, plus the Tomb King, and replace the Icon Bearer with a tomb prince in a chariot to also go in this unit (Drop the champion, you won't need him). This unit on it's own will be very hard to stop, as you will have plenty of opportunity to impel the unit (Tomb Prince's 1 dice, tomb Kings 2 dice pick the highest, plus the liche priests incantations will mean they will need a lot of dice to have a chance at stopping a magical charge from them.).
Uhm, I don't kinda like the idea of putting "all my eggs in one basket", so to speak. Especially considering as this army lacks of hard-hitting units. Instead, having 2 fairly good combat units to hit flanks and co-ordinate attacks to break tougher opponents is better imo. The kings unit can take care of almost anything that isn't unbreakable be itself anyways, that guy really got potential...

I could ad in a liche instead of the icon bearer, but then again, where would he go? he would have to have a steed, but that makes him kinda voulnerable, considering as I alredy have 1 on steed I really want to avoid that.

A prince instead, as I talked about earlier, could be a good addition. I've done another version of the list, for you guys to take a look.

And oh, good point about the first turn charge carrion:)

2000pts - Tomb Kings of Khemri

Tomb King - 306pts (General)
-Flail of Skulls, Crown of Kings

Tomb Prince - 199pts
-Blade of Setep

Liche Priest - 168pts
-Staff of Ravening
-Skeletal Steed

3 Chariots - 190pts (joined by TK)
-Icon of the Sacred Eye
-Standard Bearer

3 Chariots - 120pts (joined by TP)

-War Banner
-Full Command

-Full Command

5 Skeleton Light Horsemen - 70pts (joined by liche priest)

3 Carrion - 72pts

Tomb Scorpion - 85pts

Total: 1997pts
Models: 53
Power Dice: 2
Dispel Dice: 4

HEROES: 833pts (41%)
CORE: 1105pts (50%)
SPECIAL: 157pts (7%)
RARE: 0pts (0%)
Magic Items: 300pts (15%)

I think I'll test 'em both, sometime. But I still need to play around some more...

Elannion
20-03-2006, 15:04
I would like to suggest banner of the undying legion(i think its called that) and possibly that regenerating spear. I think its really important to have stuff like that cause then your liche priests can save some of their incantations for more important things. I do like the second one better though as i said before it could be just cause i love chariots.

Mad Makz
20-03-2006, 22:00
That's definitely an improvement, and I know what you mean about the eggs all in one basket thing, so splitting them up is good.

Looks like quite a viable list. One other suggestion for the Tomb Prince is the scorpion armour and the Enchanted Shield. That way he can act like an unbreakable unit, charging in on his own with the chariot, toughness 5, 2+ armour save (because he is on the chariot), and only taking 1 wound form combat resolution. This will give you an opportunity to manouver your other units around for a flank charge.