PDA

View Full Version : Kinda want to do a troll army.

big squig
07-01-2011, 06:39
I have this cool troll king model from reaper. It's one of my favorite minis and I was thinking of using it as the troll king for warriors of chaos. The problem is that the chaos troll models are just awful. Any suggestions for some cool trolls? I'll have a lot really so I don't want every model to be in the exact same pose.

Ratbeast
07-01-2011, 07:06
Use river trolls and green stuff some chaos bits, they some of the best models GW have done and would look awesome

Fubar
07-01-2011, 07:07
I went with river trolls, with a little converting from the chaos spawn box/tyranids to give them a mutated/chaos look. You can get enough variation by doing this and they look the part too.

Seville
07-01-2011, 08:22
What they said. I got a box of those river trolls for Christmas, and man were they fun to put together. They look absolutely great.

I think a troll army is viable and would be fun. Get yourself 4 or 5 boxes of trolls and a box of spawn for chaos bits. You're done.

Col. Dash
07-01-2011, 13:10
That or use your imagination and call them forest trolls or a river troll army instead of the cliche' "Chaos <insert chaos flavor here> army". I am slowly(read I take months and months off in between purchases) building a troll army for this reason, and they still fit in fine with my goblin army.

Urgat
07-01-2011, 15:05
My suggestion is to get one of each like I did :p There's 4 older metal river trolls (including the bloodbowl one), 7 stone trolls (including BB one again), 3 common trolls (including the BfSP plastic one), and 3 or 4 of the ugly chaos ones (for variety). You can get them all for cheap enough on ebay. You add those to your plastic river trolls (so you do the opposite of what I'm going to do, adding the plastic river trolls to those above, that I already have), and you got yourself the (supertough) base for a solid Throgg list :) If I ever want to expand from there, I'll look into old(er) school marauder/citadel trolls, but they're hard to get, and smaller.
And finally, you can also get those: http://www.warploqueminiatures.co.uk/
I'll probably get some too. You can get more pics of them in WarplockMonkey's plog (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=229660&page=27).
For a possible giant, you can also try and get your hands on the limited release stone troll from the troll versus slayer mini diorama handed to GW staffers for don't know which Xmas.

Anyway I endorse this topic, trolls are great :)

pointyteeth
07-01-2011, 18:37
I did up a throgg army awhile back. It only had 8 trolls in it, but I made them up using bits from metal stone trolls, metal generic trolls, plastic bfsp trolls, plastic chaos spawn, metal gorgers, and even a krootox. Just mix and match parts from each to make a working troll. There should be pics on my Warrior plog (shameless plug ;) )

Pharolyx
07-01-2011, 18:47
Warning: If you go through with this and do an all-troll army, nobody will be your friend anymore. Just saying... :p

minionboy
07-01-2011, 18:51
Warning: If you go through with this and do an all-troll army, nobody will be your friend anymore. Just saying... :p

Only if you barf on them.

Tenzing
07-01-2011, 18:53
Just because no-one's mentioned them yet, don't forget the range of Trolls in LotR as well.

Lordsaradain
07-01-2011, 19:59
I made 6 chaos trolls from the plastic chaos spawn. I'll link some pics:
http://img818.imageshack.us/i/img0846c.jpg/
http://img641.imageshack.us/i/img0847nc.jpg/

Svarten
07-01-2011, 20:08
If Id done a Throgg army, I would use River Trolls to represent the trolls.
Altough they might not fit that well with your Reaper troll, beacuase I haven't seen the model so I wouldn't know :S

pkain762
07-01-2011, 21:32
i 2nd using the awesome river troll models for your troll army, they are cool and with a little work should be a really cool army

kain

ps you could also use a few bfsp trolls

Col. Dash
08-01-2011, 21:19
Why would they not want to play it? A troll army is fun but you would have like 20 models on the field. Dont they all suffer stupidity? Get a ton of eye of the gods rolls though :)

snottlebocket
08-01-2011, 21:31
Why would they not want to play it? A troll army is fun but you would have like 20 models on the field. Dont they all suffer stupidity? Get a ton of eye of the gods rolls though :)

With Throgg you have ld8 with rerolls for most of them though.

Chiungalla
08-01-2011, 22:02
With Throgg you have ld8 with rerolls for most of them though.

But if you kill him, the game will be as good as over.

Urgat
08-01-2011, 23:00
No, because you don't have to have him as the general, so in effect you can have two general's Ld bubbles :p

Chiungalla
08-01-2011, 23:04
No, because you don't have to have him as the general, so in effect you can have two general's Ld bubbles :p

But that will break the fluff of the troll army, because there are no other troll-characters around.

Haravikk
08-01-2011, 23:08
You could use it as a proxy army for Ogre kingdoms, just come up with some loose fluff to tie it all together like rebelling Goblin trolls deciding they should be in charge because they're bigger.

I think it'd definitely be a good fun army to build, even if it's just because you can :D

Urgat
08-01-2011, 23:27
But that will break the fluff of the troll army, because there are no other troll-characters around.

Nah, I got a feral wizard as the general (I use the dark emissary, he looks perfect for the part), he's supposed to lead the chaos hounds and co :p Throgg doesn't give a damn about the dogs, he's leading the monsters. The wizard is an opportunist, a kind of chaos amber wizard following Throgg around. My fluff is fine, thank you :p

pointyteeth
09-01-2011, 01:46
...The wizard is an opportunist, a kind of chaos amber wizard following Throgg around. My fluff is fine, thank you :p

Shadow of the Horned Rat reference ftw!

Chiungalla
09-01-2011, 05:39
Nah, I got a feral wizard as the general (I use the dark emissary, he looks perfect for the part), he's supposed to lead the chaos hounds and co :p Throgg doesn't give a damn about the dogs, he's leading the monsters. The wizard is an opportunist, a kind of chaos amber wizard following Throgg around. My fluff is fine, thank you :p

Then it's a fluffy chaos army, but no troll army any more, at least for my high standards. ;-)

Urgat
09-01-2011, 10:08
Shadow of the Horned Rat reference ftw!

No, it's original, hush, original! :p
I mean come on how'd you even guess where I got it from, just from "amber"? :eyebrows: Anyway my wizard's name is Allar (it's Allor in SotHR). Curse (of Anraheir) you! :p

Then it's a fluffy chaos army, but no troll army any more, at least for my high standards. ;-)

Well you're right, I got more than trolls in the army, I got the sorcerer for the sole reason I wanna be able to dispell stuff, I got hounds for tactitcal opportunities, ogres for variety and giants for the same reason. I'm not going to get dragon ogres or shaggoth though, they're not feral enough unless new minis change that (well the shaggoth is, but I hate the mini).

Haravikk
09-01-2011, 13:16
well the shaggoth is, but I hate the mini
Any particular reason? I think it's much better looking than the Dragon Ogres. I don't like centaur type creatures as a rule though, I'd much rather just have the dragon, no need for some silly fusion, and I don't like paying 30 for a single model, except maybe the plastic dragon kit, lol :)

Anyway, I still think using Trolls as a proxy army for Ogre kingdoms is the best way, as it gives you the variety you need in the trolls to play an interesting army, and it's up to you how you distinguish the units. For example, leadbelchers could be particular vomit-prone trolls, ironguts would be trolls armed with any suitably nasty looking weapon and so-on. And it gives you the option of mixing in goblins as gnoblars if you'd rather have the theme more orc-related. For chaos themed you can really just use gnoblar stats for any kind of broken-willed slaves you like really, or just don't field them at all if purity of the trolls is paramount!
Butchers require a bit more of a contrived reason, I suppose chaos themed trolls could probably gain magical abilities so that's not too difficult, while orc-themed ones might gain the attention of gork for being particularly vicious.
You could probably get away with arguing for an all-in one Troll to count as the Scrap Launcher, since the Rhinox stats reflect the Troll reasonably well, and a troll could probably throw random junk pretty far if they had a mind to!

You then have yetis which could just be "Ice Trolls", and Gorgers for particularly feral trolls. The only downside really is the lack of army-wide Stupidity, but in friendly games you could probably trade Fear for Stupidity without much complaint, since Stupidity in 8th edition is really just a way to get Immune to Psychology with only a minor penalty.

Urgat
09-01-2011, 14:48
Any particular reason? I think it's much better looking than the Dragon Ogres. I don't like centaur type creatures as a rule though, I'd much rather just have the dragon, no need for some silly fusion, and I don't like paying 30 for a single model, except maybe the plastic dragon kit, lol :)

Yeah. It looks more like a giant centigor than anything else. Then there is no way this thng can stand up any other way than by rearing. But it cannot go on all four either because those Trex arms are too small for that. They're exactly the right size so they're cumbersome for stand up stance (unlike T-rex like-arms would be) but still useless for anything.
I don't really like the concept of dragon ogres in the first. I wouldn't mind it if it was just a name, and the thing vaguely ressembled either (something like the old zoats), but no, it's really supposed to be half half, and it's supposed to be natural too? That's asking too much for it to be believable. I'm not denying the cool factor, but that's not the kind I enjoy. If I want to field a dragon ogre, I'll convert it, and it won't look like that.