PDA

View Full Version : Formation question.

Lorex
07-01-2011, 15:05
Hey all so here it gose.
Can i have a rank with only 3models in it. So i can charge in between enemys??

ooooo ww 99999 9= One unit
ooooo ww 99999 o= 2th unit
ooooo ww 99999 w= Warmachine

........HHHHH........ h= My fast cav. Can i reform them like this? hhh
.................................................. ..................................hh

Or do i need to have them a rank of five?

Tenzing
07-01-2011, 15:14
You can have ranks 3 wide, but you won't get any attendant bonuses for ranks etc as you need to be a certain width for these to apply (unless you're monstrous infantry/ cavalry?)

Useful if you think that you can murder the target in 1 round. Also bare in mind that you wouldn't be able to pass within an inch of the two enemy units either side of the warmachine in the above example, so your opponent has to leave a gap of 5 2inches between the units for you to be able to fit as 3 wide cav.

Lorex
07-01-2011, 15:16
No its normal fast cav.

DeathlessDraich
07-01-2011, 16:31
Hey all so here it gose.

.................................................. ..................................hh

I'm assuming you want to charge the warmachine in between the other 2 units?

a) If the charge is frontal against the central unit the charge fails because there is no space - although Im not sure from the diagram and I think some players will dispute that

b) If the unit H is further to the left or right and the charge would be a flank charge:
This flank charge normally fails unless
you can make contact with the charged unit which can then be nudged so that at least 1 model of the charging unit can be in btb.

No its normal fast cav.

Fast cavalry still has a max of 1 wheel and no reforms when charging

Lex
07-01-2011, 17:42
Hey all so here it gose.

You can have as many or as few models in a rank is you want so long as the subsequent ranks have same number of models, with the exception of the last rank. So, yes as long as you reform on the turn before you declare a charge you are okay. Obviously, you wouldn't get the 5 model rank bonuses, but you don't get those anyway as fast cavalry. And since it's a war machine it won't matter about btb. I'm a bit confused about the previous post response. He can charge with his cav as is. It looks like the 2 units are even with the warmachine. He just has to declare charges against all three since he must contact all three. If the warmachine is back a bit then he may have a problem. But the discussion about central unit flanks and such is irrelevant since warmachines don't have flanks, unless I'm mistaken.

BEEGfrog
07-01-2011, 20:48
Useful if you think that you can murder the target in 1 round. Also bare in mind that you wouldn't be able to pass within an inch of the two enemy units either side of the warmachine in the above example, so your opponent has to leave a gap of 5 2inches between the units for you to be able to fit as 3 wide cav.

Para 4 page 20 of BRB says you can move within 1" of enemies while charging so if there is a gap where you can actually fit your unit without touching the adjacent units then you can charge.

As the enemy has to leave a minimum of 1" between units you can always charge 2 figures wider than the target with 20mm or 25mm based units as they should be able to fit within the 25.4mm minimum gap that 1" represents.

Page 68 says that fast cavalry cannot reform during charge so you would have to be in the correct width to fit before the start of the movement phase.

In your case it is difficult to tell how wide you can charge as warmachines don't have a minimum base size and normally no base at all.