PDA

View Full Version : New Army Themes 2011

BigbyWolf
09-01-2011, 19:45
As a few of you may know, I have a bit of an obsession of making themed armies for friendly-play (if the army allows this). Amongst others I currently run a completely magic-free Vampire Counts army, for WoC I have a Tzeentch Gunline and a corrupted Empire army (also Tzeentch, uses state troops, free company and flagellants instead of marauders and empire heraldry mixed in with Chaos Iconography). Both of the WoC armies are without a Lvl 4. I also (for the most part) keep my Orc lists separate from my Goblin ones.

I'm kicking off a few new armies this year, and have a couple of themes I'd like to run past you, some of which are currently underway, others are things that I'd like to do...

Firstly I need to finish of my Chaos, and intend to have a 2k list for each of the major powers. And intend to do the following:

Khornate Orcs: I just don't like Black Orcs in the current book (of course, this may change come March) and rarely use them with my Orcs, despite having quite a few. However, I love the models, and they make good Chaos Warriors. I currently have 500-600 points converted (Knights and Warriors), and as my normal Orcs are painted with a red theme, they fit in quite well as marauders. I want to keep the WoC lists as different as possible, so will rely mainly on troops for this army- Knights and Warriors...some marauders, Forsaken and Spawn (converted Giant Cave Squigs).

Nurgle-themed Monsters of Chaos: This is fairly simple, as I have plenty of Trolls already, as well as Nurglesque Ogres (my OK army is based around a Tribe that lives oop north). I also have a decent amount of Nurgle Minotaurs from the previous edition when you could have an entirely Mino-army as well as marks. I'm also currently converting a Throgg model. The main idea for this list would be Throgg, Nurgle DP, Trolls, Nurgle Ogres, Minos (as Dragon Ogres), Giants and Dogs.

Slaaneshi Daemons- This is an easy theme. I have the KoS model from FW and just have to get the army to go with it.

With the above armies, they will also merge well together for big games, with the Daemons acting as a Daemon Prince, marauders, marauder cav and spawn. Another good thing about them is that, with the exception of the Daemons and a few bits for conversions, I already have the majority of the models.

So, onto the things I'd have to invest money in...

A Clan Pestilens army: I love the Furnace model, and the Plague Monks are by far my favourite Skaven Infantry. Taking Skrolk would allow me to use them as core backed up by a furnace or two, with Cencer Bearers as special and catapults as rare.

A scaly Dark Elf army: Corsairs (for Sea-Dragon cloaks), Cold Ones/ Cold One chariots and a Hydra.

Renegade Empire: Not corrupted by Chaos, but definitely evil, and obsessed with fire...they just want to see the world burn! Using Bright Wizards, Warrior Priests (representing priests of the cult), and plenty of free company and flagellents, as well as mortars and Helstorms. Alternatively, using a similar theme, Witch Hunter army, led by a Empire General kitted out as a Witch Hunter, backed up by lots of commoners with pitchforks (a la Castle Frankenstein), flagellents and lots of fire to purge the unclean.

South Ulthuan High Elves- Made up of units from Eataine(?) and Caledor, so basically PG, Seaguard and Dragon Princes (and perhaps a dragon, when the games get big enough). Maybe a Tiranoc chariot or two and some eagles for a bit of interference.

And lastly (and as a long-time Greenskin, the most blasphemous)- Mobile Dwarfs: Rangers, Bugman for extra rangers, miners and Girocopters would form the base of this army. Ideally without the Anvil of Doom.

I don't mind using a SC in an army if it gives it a good theme (see Konrad and his VC), and I'm led to believe that Skrolk and Bugman, whilst good, are not game-breaking. Throgg on the other hand, is very good, but he allows an entirely gribbly WoC army, and I can't see too many people bitching about facing him when they could face a simple "point 'n click" Gateway/ Dual Hell Cannon list.

If you've made it all the way through my rambling...congrats! :p

Does anyone have any feedback to my ideas? I'd love to hear it.

(EDIT- with the exception of objections to the Khorne Orc army, another Warseerite already has a thread going with regards to a similar theme and there are enough nay-sayers there, but, if you absolutely have to disagree with this principle I'd be happy to debate it there. I regularly use standard OnG and will continue to do so, I'm just doing this to give me a Chaos Army with a noticeably different appearance/ play-style to my existing one. ;))

Jetty Smurf
10-01-2011, 02:22
I like the ideas.

Can't say I can add too much as you seem to have everything quite well thought out.

I can say though that I would love to face some of these themed armies and it does give me some ideas for my own armies.

Ghazbad_Facestompa
10-01-2011, 03:37
Skryre Skaven: Clanrats and Stormvermin (converted to have a more mechanical appearance to the armor and weapons, of course) supported by weapon teams, doomwheels, globadiers, jezzails, and WLCs, led by Ikit Claw. No Storm Banner, no dual HPAs, few-to-no slave roadblocks, no gray seer.

Gandalf the Gay
10-01-2011, 13:00
Id love to hear more about your Tzeentch army, it sounds pretty awesome.

I kinda dig the KhOrc theme, and the Throgg army sounds cool too. I actually cant grasp the idea of a themed HE army. To a certain extent, sure, but I think their list is too "all-over-the-place" to make a proper themed army.

FLUEVOG
10-01-2011, 14:26
The Throgg/Nurgle army is being done a lot lately, at least on a worldwide scale. Depending on your playgroup/country, it could be pretty unique though

Wishing
10-01-2011, 14:52
My only comment is to do with the khorne orc army. It sounds really cool, but I personally wouldn't use giant squigs as chaos spawn (unless they were indistinguishable from regular spawn), as part of the cool of such an army sounds like it would come from using the orc models in a more sharp and deadly style, as opposed to the bumbling rubber toy style that orcs are normally in, and which squigs exemplify the most. In other words, to me it sounds cooler to have a chaos army where the troops are made up of orcs, and not an orc army with khorne symbols on the banners.

BigbyWolf
10-01-2011, 17:08
I like the ideas.

Can't say I can add too much as you seem to have everything quite well thought out.

I can say though that I would love to face some of these themed armies and it does give me some ideas for my own armies.

Feel free to steal any of them! :p

Skryre Skaven: Clanrats and Stormvermin (converted to have a more mechanical appearance to the armor and weapons, of course) supported by weapon teams, doomwheels, globadiers, jezzails, and WLCs, led by Ikit Claw. No Storm Banner, no dual HPAs, few-to-no slave roadblocks, no gray seer.

My main issue with that army would be far too much fur, not enough green robes...;)

Id love to hear more about your Tzeentch army, it sounds pretty awesome.

I kinda dig the KhOrc theme, and the Throgg army sounds cool too. I actually cant grasp the idea of a themed HE army. To a certain extent, sure, but I think their list is too "all-over-the-place" to make a proper themed army.

Which Tzeentch army- Gunline or Empire? Let me know and I'll post the list.

With regards to the High Elves, the only "Elven" units I intend to use are Phoenix Guard, Seaguard (Eataine) and Dragon Princes. Depending on points I may try to slip a normal chariot or two in there (as Tiranoc fits geographically with the other two provinces). I feel that should make it easy to "theme". I haven't heard otherwise, so I'd assume that there's nothing preventing the use of Bolt Throwers or Eagles?

I know I could take Archers and Spearmen, but I'd honestly prefer to use LSG as the core.

The Throgg/Nurgle army is being done a lot lately, at least on a worldwide scale. Depending on your playgroup/country, it could be pretty unique though

There is a player in my group the will occasionally use Throgg and some trolls as part of a standard list (as I do from time to time), but no fully monster army. One of my favourite things is that I get to use my Minos and Doombull again (the latter as a Daemon Prince, once I get the wings added).

My only comment is to do with the khorne orc army. It sounds really cool, but I personally wouldn't use giant squigs as chaos spawn (unless they were indistinguishable from regular spawn), as part of the cool of such an army sounds like it would come from using the orc models in a more sharp and deadly style, as opposed to the bumbling rubber toy style that orcs are normally in, and which squigs exemplify the most. In other words, to me it sounds cooler to have a chaos army where the troops are made up of orcs, and not an orc army with khorne symbols on the banners.

I think I can see where you're coming from with that, another option I have is the Razorgors I converted (and the one I bought) when I was considering continuing with my Beastmen. They're mutated enough to count as boar-spawn.

EDIT: Thanks for the feedback so far!

kaffis
10-01-2011, 20:06
Bolt Throwers are fluff-wise crewed by Sea Guard, as they defend the ports and are mounted on Elven ships. So they fit right in.

I should point out that White Lions would be an acceptable addition, too -- they're the Phoenix King's honor guard, and so plenty of them hang around at court. In fact, the army (with the White Lions) you described is pretty much what I'm working on building now.

Gandalf the Gay
11-01-2011, 12:11
Feel free to steal any of them! :p
Which Tzeentch army- Gunline or Empire? Let me know and I'll post the list.
EDIT: Thanks for the feedback so far!

The gunline!

SkawtheFalconer
11-01-2011, 12:18
Wait - how do you do a magic-free undead army? Doesn't it struggle on tabletop, or is it more about theme over victories for you?

BigbyWolf
11-01-2011, 12:58
Wait - how do you do a magic-free undead army? Doesn't it struggle on tabletop, or is it more about theme over victories for you?

Basically, Konrad Von Carstein and Wight Kings, so there isn't even the option to cast spells. I've only used it a couple of times in 8th, but in 7th it worked quite well. I've had to change the list though, as In 7th it was Konnie, 3 Wight Kings, 3 units of 10 ghouls for min core, 3 units of Black Knights, Blood Knights, a Varghulf and dogs. Konrad went in a unit of Black Knights with the BSB with Drakenhof. Now with 8th the 25% cap on heroes and rare choices stops that, and I have to invest more in core, which I didn't want to do as it interferes with the "hit 'em hard and fast" tactic. The improvements to infantry also significantly reduce the impact of the Black Knight units as well.

Tell you what, I'll post the new list, along with the Tzeentch Gunline in the appropriate forum later...

BigbyWolf
11-01-2011, 17:26
Bolt Throwers are fluff-wise crewed by Sea Guard, as they defend the ports and are mounted on Elven ships. So they fit right in.

I should point out that White Lions would be an acceptable addition, too -- they're the Phoenix King's honor guard, and so plenty of them hang around at court. In fact, the army (with the White Lions) you described is pretty much what I'm working on building now.

I hadn't thought about the White Lions, but yes, they are an option- but I think I might miss them out (at least to begin with). I honestly would prefer to have more Phoenix Guard in there instead of the woodsmen (woodselves?).

EDIT- Whoops, double post...please merge if needed.

Anyway, the lists for the Tzeentch Gunline and Konrad VC army are up in the armylist forums:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289211
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289226

AramilSairSianontel
11-01-2011, 17:42
I personally don't like the idea of chaos and greenskins mixing. Other than that everything else sounds great, with only a little suggestion-mobile dwarves wouldn't be really helped by an anvil of doom moving them around? it would be the only non-moving piece of the board....

superczhunk
11-01-2011, 18:08
I support any wacky army ideas. I'm currently working on Clan Tz'eent'ch Skaven (all the characters are butchered pronunciations of Tzeentch) from Cathay. Another idea was Cloud Dwarfs. Dwarfs that live in the sky and have white hair...with cloud/rain/lightning/thunder themes and use airships and gyrocopters. :D

I say do whatever you want. Chaos Greenskins is grand and was a part of 3rd edition and possibly before. Anyone remember Chaos Goblin mercenaries?

Darnok
13-01-2011, 05:31
Go forest goblins.

Spider riders for core. Proper characters are available, and can be converted as well. Get some additional spider rider boxes, and use the riders as forest goblins on foot (aka "normal" gobbos of your choice) and use the spiders as "counts as" squigs. Get a few of the rumoured monster-spiders.

Done. :D

Some proper conversion work - and propably a few more ideas - is needed, as otherwise the army might look a bit boring when getting bigger. But I do see some potential. And they are greenskins. ;)