PDA

View Full Version : Comment on my list

jansenm
19-03-2006, 10:59
Hi I started writing up an army list and I wanted to see your opinons
its and ogre army by the way, I tried to make a fair list and "themey" as such so here it goes:

lords/heroes
Tyrant: heavy armour, cathayan longsword, daemon killer scars (the only magic item in my army), giant breaker (units: Ironbreaker)

Butcher: bloodcleaver (opps i lied, but no more magic items besides these two), maw seeker (units: bulls)

Hunter: 2 sabretusk

Core:
5 bulls: full command

5 Ironguts: full command, look out gnoblar

20 gnoblars: champion

special:
3 yhetees: champion

4 leadbelchers: champion/mus

Rare:
Gaint

Giant

TOTAL 1998

please feel free to comment or give some advice, and also tell me if you collect ogres just to seperate the gamers with experience and the ones without (but i will listen to both)
;) cheers

Chuffy
19-03-2006, 11:02
http://www.warseer.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37

The more you know...

jansenm
19-03-2006, 11:09
opps sory I havent notice that section, how do i move it?

MadJackMcJack
19-03-2006, 11:41
It'll be moved in due time. Until then...

I'd strip out one, maybe both of the giants, and use the points to buy more bulls. Ogre giants are not that good, due to no stubborn. They can be overrun by large units, where a normal giant would laugh and eat some more of them. Plus with that few ogres in your army, you'd get shot to death by most armies. So more = more ogres survive to stomp.

Flypaper
19-03-2006, 11:57
Ogres hath the One Commandment:

Thou Shalt Take Thine Unit of Gnoblar Trappers!

Ogre games consist of Ogres running forwards to munt things. Gnoblar Trappers march-block and generally make it harder for your opponent to prepare his reception.

They are also worth very few points. :cool:

Mad Doc Grotsnik
19-03-2006, 18:52
Good point about the Trappers.

They are the quintessential Skirmish unit. Cheap, expendable march blockers, that, considering the effort one must expend to take care of, offer little in the way of return. But only if used wisely!

Chuffy
19-03-2006, 20:47
Well I have to say, for 2000 points, that army is horrendously small, even for ogres.

For one thing, get rid of all champions, some armies have decent champs (Orcs...) but ogres do not. 20 points for an extra attack...not worth it.

Also split the belchers up into two units of two, the work much better this way. Their primary function is to protect your flanks from fast cav and maybe kill an odd guy in a unit to take down its rank bonus.

Also, yes get rid of one of the giants and take some Ironguts...or maneaters. Maneaters are cool.

h4rdriv3
19-03-2006, 21:02
Agree with chuffy 100% those champs must go, also trappers should be exploited to plug your gaps as with that few no. of orgres players with movement (brets) are going to mass charge your units to win combat res and gun line armis are just going to have a field day PERIOD. You REALLY do need something to tie enemy guns up and block or interfere with enemie flankers

jansenm
19-03-2006, 22:29
Great advice from all! espcially chuffy
*ummm yea I will take out the champion
*get some trappers
* split the lead belchers into units of two

but one thing i wanna keep is the two gaints I love these models
and It fits in with my background I wrote for them
I noe slave gaints are crap but for story wise it MUST stay

but imma thinking I should get more models
but if I need to spend more points for more units i think I should get rid of the butcher.
Are the worth the points? one mage that will probally hae no chance of casting in the whole game (4 power dice a turn)
or maybe even the yhetees for more bulls?
I am unsure

h4rdriv3
20-03-2006, 05:35
Id keep him as the ability to stop 1 spell per turn is vital for ogres as they are so low on no.s most good ogre kingdoms armies actually have two from my own experience.
But i wouldnt say it was a prerequisit however being able to stop one must stop spell per turn is going to be vital for you as your troops wont take many hits before their effectiveness is seriously reduced.
Imagine your playing an armie of superelite chaos with not as good armour and you wouldnt be far wrong. so avoid shooting (& magic) that can actually hurt you (or is likely too). Best way to do that is to use trappers to sow disruption and tie his most dangerous shooty units down or block their line of sight with a combat and then charge/march up behind and let your impact hits and high toughness carry the day.

DeathlessDraich
24-03-2006, 20:05
Butchers are vital! My club has an ogre player who plays with 3 butchers, tyrant, 1 giant, 2 units of ironguts, 2 units of yhetees and 2 units of bulls - of 3 models.
There's enough variety in Ogre magic to cause problems with many armies.
It's the best Ogre army I've seen and massacred nearly every army - Beasts, Brettonians, Empire, Woodelves, O&G, VC!