PDA

View Full Version : GWs closing in Vancouver?

Walls
10-01-2011, 02:12
I am hearing rumors that ALL the Games-Workshops in the Lower mainland/Vancouver are shutting down. Any word on this?

FabricatorGeneralMike
10-01-2011, 02:19
Wow, maybe they are. I looked on the website and the Richmond and Surrey Stores are gone. Just Metrotown, Park Royal and Victoria are left.

Then again the Website map is putting it at 32nd & Argyle in Vancouver, not 4800 Kingsway in Metrotown :rolleyes:

Even then thats kind of odd as Vancouver/Burnaby is one of the oldest GW stores in north america. I believe, Vancouver ( gastown), Toronto, and Glen Buryne ( spelling) where the first three opened over here. When I worked at the Metrotown store, we always made our cash quota. We didn't always make our core quota tho. Pretty close most of the time though.

Nephlite
24-01-2011, 23:10
The Surrey/Richmond shut down. The Metrotown/Burnaby one is moving out of the mall to reopen in March as a full battle bunker with 10+ tables.

Sadly the Surrey one shutting down is really annoying. There is no hobby shop with gaming tables left in Surrey, or hobby shops for that matter. That just leaves Metrotown which is kind of a far drive.

Not really a major pullout but certainly a downsizing.

Walls
25-01-2011, 00:15
Is this the old rumor from last year about it or is this an actual happening? I know there was talk of the Sunglass Hut style stores all over the place with one central battle bunker last March. I only ask because a friend in North Van was wondering and heard these rumors all the way last year.

Nephlite
25-01-2011, 21:42
Is this the old rumor from last year about it or is this an actual happening? I know there was talk of the Sunglass Hut style stores all over the place with one central battle bunker last March. I only ask because a friend in North Van was wondering and heard these rumors all the way last year.

This is happening as we speak. The Metrotown store is already closed and they will open the bunker location this March. The location will be be somewhere in the Metrotown area but we don't know for sure where yet. The store took our email addresses and plan to let us know the opening date/location soon.

In a way I'm happy to lose a bunch of small mall shops for big bunker stores with 15 tables etc. Again wishing for another to open in Surrey as the one that closed there was bunker sized.

Malorian
25-01-2011, 22:07
I got to have a game there last year and was amazed how big it was. It really was pretty much a bunker store as it was.

Here in Edmonton we have two GW stores and I would be VERY happy to see them close and a have a Bunker store replace them.

As it is the mall stores have become almost pointless as they now have to ALWAYS have a demo table open meaning that even in store gaming is limited.

Darsc Zacal
26-01-2011, 03:29
Well I knew about the Richmond store. Did not know Surrey was closed, that's too bad as it was only 10 minutes away from me. It was really handy for getting supplies in a hurry.

Metrotown is a bit of a surprise, but if they're moving to a bigger location out of the mall I guess that's better.

Haven't really spent much time in a GW for years though, as my hobby interests are more focused on various companies miniatures.

FabricatorGeneralMike
26-01-2011, 03:58
Well I knew about the Richmond store. Did not know Surrey was closed, that's too bad as it was only 10 minutes away from me. It was really handy for getting supplies in a hurry.

Metrotown is a bit of a surprise, but if they're moving to a bigger location out of the mall I guess that's better.

Haven't really spent much time in a GW for years though, as my hobby interests are more focused on various companies miniatures.

Probley something with a outside door so they can stay open whatever hours they want. I'm shure they will get that in the lease. I wonder where at metro they could be opening? Maybe the resterant thats on the eastside of the metrotown properity?

frozenwastes
27-01-2011, 08:13
Maybe they'll follow the same pattern that Winnipeg did:

1) Mall Store
2) Close Mall store
3) Open larger bunker type store with lots of gaming and painting space
4) Close bunker type store
5) Open one man mini store with no gaming space

wafavro
27-01-2011, 08:21
Heres an interesting article on BolS that might shed some light onto GW's Motives

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2011/01/finance-games-workshop-half-yearly.html

Darsc Zacal
27-01-2011, 08:24
Stopped by the former Strawberry Hills location in Surrey today. Windows all papered over and the signs are already gone. Kinda sad, but I had pretty much stopped dropping by there sometime ago, after Justin went to Metrotown, I see he's now a store manager down in one of the Seattle GW's, and after Dave got promoted to regional manager... No idea if he's still with GW, but those were two great guys and enthusiastic hobbyists.

FabricatorGeneralMike
29-01-2011, 03:24
Stopped by the former Strawberry Hills location in Surrey today. Windows all papered over and the signs are already gone. Kinda sad, but I had pretty much stopped dropping by there sometime ago, after Justin went to Metrotown, I see he's now a store manager down in one of the Seattle GW's, and after Dave got promoted to regional manager... No idea if he's still with GW, but those were two great guys and enthusiastic hobbyists.

Justin?.....well somethings are better left unsaid....IMHO. He rode Mark hard and after a little while playing the GW game got what he wanted, the Seattle Bunker. I wish him and his store all the best. Owen was manager of the Richmond store then came over to Metrotown after Justin left. I was in there before X-mas and what a change, Forgeworld stuff, IA books, heaps and heaps of novels and other books. People playing in the store. Looks like a nice place to work now...:shifty:

The Custodian
29-01-2011, 04:03
I got to have a game there last year and was amazed how big it was. It really was pretty much a bunker store as it was.

Here in Edmonton we have two GW stores and I would be VERY happy to see them close and a have a Bunker store replace them.

As it is the mall stores have become almost pointless as they now have to ALWAYS have a demo table open meaning that even in store gaming is limited.

Ive never had many issues from the Kingsway one when it comes to getting a game. Then again I havn't been there since before Christmas so maybe its changed?

Although i wouldnt mind getting a bunker... Unless it was on the other side of the city -.-

Skeena
29-01-2011, 05:47
Not that I post here a lot, but these stores all closing has really pissed me off lately.

The Richmond store closed ages ago, that's when I started going to the Surrey store. My last stop there was a week or two before christmas, and no one mentioned it was closing. I'd been going weekly at that point to paint, so it kinda pissed me off to show up about a week ago and see a nice big Herbal Magic sign where the GW used to be. GW has lost more than a few customers from closing that store (I've since started ordering from battlewagon bitz online, along with a handful of friends, since we predominantly use plastics (and yes I know GW still makes a profit off of that)). Even with only the one staff member there, you could rarely even find a place to sit it was so busy. I've given up trying to follow them from store to store in Canada. They should just pull out entirely rather than continue this half arsed attempt.