PDA

View Full Version : No LVL3/4 magic?

Svarten
10-01-2011, 02:41
Greetings :)

I couldn't sleep (it's in the middle of the night here XD), so I started to tweak on a new Skaven list.

I started to think about using an 2,5k Skaven army led by Warlord wearing the wizarding hat, and supported by a couple of LVL 2 warlocks.

Long story short, this is my question:
Do you think a Skaven list without a Grey Seer would be competetive at 2,5k?

Haven't had the opportunity to try any game at this point level yet, so I have no idea myself xD

//Svarten.

EDIT: I just realized that this thread might belong in the tactics forum... If that is the case, could someone please move it there? :D

Ultimate Life Form
10-01-2011, 03:35
A Gray Seer is by no means necessary; the Skaven list offers a great number of other things that are just as deadly to do your bidding. Remember, for the cost of a Seer on Screaming Bell you could get 2 Hellpit Abominations...

What I would always advise against is completely ditching Magic, as you would deprive yourself of a lot of options (an entire phase). Those 2D6 Power Dice are a free ressource asking to be used, and under 8th Ed rules even a Level 1 can be a potentially dangerous threat. Since you plan on magicking around a bit, I see no problems.

larabic
10-01-2011, 03:44
Skaven lords are so cheap you can practically have and entire front rank of warlords with great weapons. Naked i think you can have 6 in an army or so?

Svarten
10-01-2011, 04:02
Ah, thank you I needed to hear that! :D

And I agree on not ditching the magic completely, that wasn't what I wanted to do. I just want to be able to field a army led by warlords and still manage to win once in a while ^^

Lord Inquisitor
10-01-2011, 04:11
Meh, it's possible but swimming against the current. The grey seer is worth taking just for the +4 to cast and dispel. Can keep it cheap, he doesn't need a bell or even any magic items if you really want to pinch points, but it's so worth the points for one naked seer.

Not like skaven don't have plenty of space in their lord allowance at 2.5k.

Ultimate Life Form
10-01-2011, 04:14
Sure, well it comes down to where you set your preferences...

All I'm saying is, if you don't want to take him, you don't need to. The Skaven book has enough options to compensate for anything.

Voss
10-01-2011, 04:37
Greetings :)

I couldn't sleep (it's in the middle of the night here XD), so I started to tweak on a new Skaven list.

I started to think about using an 2,5k Skaven army led by Warlord wearing the wizarding hat, and supported by a couple of LVL 2 warlocks.

With a couple of warlocks, the hat seems unnecessary. Often with 2d6 power dice, you're going to be stretching the ability to cast spells with 4 levels of magic. Going up to 6 or more is often a bit of a waste. Its admittedly some extra insurance if you lose one, but the warlord could be doing many other things.

freddieyu
10-01-2011, 06:18
I would take a couple of plague priests. At least they can fight. And i like the plague furnace....

Arnizipal
10-01-2011, 11:13
EDIT: I just realized that this thread might belong in the tactics forum... If that is the case, could someone please move it there? :D
Done ;)

Wyrmnax
10-01-2011, 12:31
A lv 4 can probably consume all your power dice for any given phase.

However, he can also get killed, ban himself to the Warp, or simply roll 4 1s while casting.

Having another wizard is more of a insurance for when that happens. Or to get a different variety of spells.

Svarten
10-01-2011, 23:34
So, a grey seer is good to have, but not neccesary? And 6 lvls of magic is a waste?
Then I will kick a warlock and keep the warlord with a hat. So long as it will be a upp hill struggle and not impossible, I'm fine :)

ooglatjama
10-01-2011, 23:59
Don't let the wizard hat be the general, that is way, way too risky.

Get another cheap warlord with some defense items. You can't afford to lose the general.

Ratbeast
11-01-2011, 00:08
If taking a warlord, id take a 2 warlock and a priest, one would be equip with the + 1 dispel item, so i would still have a decent plus 3 to dispel enemy spells

freddieyu
11-01-2011, 01:56
If taking a warlord, id take a 2 warlock and a priest, one would be equip with the + 1 dispel item, so i would still have a decent plus 3 to dispel enemy spells

I agree with this..although I would just have 2 spellcasters....

PurchasedPig
11-01-2011, 07:46
I also agree with this, I get the impression that a list without Grey Seers is made much better by Plague Priests but admittedly I haven't tested this theory yet. I also don't think the Wizarding Hat is a good choice for a Skaven Warlord - there are much better ways to use his allowance and you could just get another Priest for the 100pts. Unless you want to model a Fantasia rat. That's a different story altogether!

-PurchasedPig-

Haravikk
11-01-2011, 17:51
Well, three level 2 Warlocks only sets you back...300 points? And guarantees you every spell of ruin if you want it.

I want a seer on screaming bell just because it looks awesome, but it's by no means a definite choice, in fact I probably wouldn't field one myself until closer to the 3,000 points mark.