PDA

View Full Version : Gotrek & Felix books

Ante64
10-01-2011, 20:13
Hi! I collected some Dwarves back in 97 or 98. Never really gamed but just collected dwarf miniatures and loved the stories. Took up the old dwarf fascination a couple of months ago. And noticed that my two favorite characters was gone from the gaming! Gotrek & Felix. But I noticed there is a couple of books written about them. Is there a book to recommend or are they any good at all?

Shamutanti
10-01-2011, 20:40
Read the King books definately.

Start with Omnibus one and carry through.

I don't rate Nathan Long at all, but others differ on the matter.

Ante64
10-01-2011, 21:05
Okay :) Thanks! I'm not really familiar with the authors of the warhammer world, more then the gaming books. So it will be interesting

narrativium
10-01-2011, 22:37
There've been three authors of Gotrek and Felix; the late John Brunner's tale was reprinted in the first Hammer and Bolter. I suspect it was written after Bill King's first but before Black Library collected Trollslayer together.

Personally, I found the first few of King's books to be a worthy and interesting exploration of the Warhammer World, but after Daemonslayer - and with the exception of Beastslayer, I felt the stories became too introspective on Felix's part, and too drawn out, like they weren't quite fully novel-length ideas. Nathan Long's style isn't the same as Bill King's, and he may have taken a novel or so to find his way in (Orcslayer is the weakest of his efforts) but the story material is fresher and the plot moves at full tilt. A good successor.

RobC
11-01-2011, 08:51
Gotrek and Felix also make a cameo appearance in Jack Yeovil's 'Warhawk'.

As for the original question: yeah, get yourself the first omnibus, then see how you feel. The beauty of books is you can spend time in a book shop giving them a proper browse before you buy.

Sai-Lauren
12-01-2011, 13:03
The beauty of bookshops is you can spend time in them giving the books a proper browse before you buy.
Fixed it for you.

You certainly can't do it with Amazon. ;)

The William King books are good, Nathan Long's aren't bad (certainly not anywhere near the levels of plot armour Ragnar gets in the continued Space Wolves novels) - and it'll be interesting to see where he goes with Snorri.

There's also a one off audio set after Elfslayer - Slayer of the Storm God, which is pretty good.

TheYoungin
13-01-2011, 22:00
I absolutely loved william kings gotrek and felix books. More than I've loved any series of books in a long time. I reccomend you get the first two omnibuses (if you like the first one buy the second one too.) But don't even bother with Nathan longs books I read about 100 pages into it then stopped. He completely betrays the portrayels of the characters.

Kaihlik
14-01-2011, 00:04
Honestly, I know this isnt a popular opinion but I was getting really bored of the William King books. I just got to a point where it felt that every fight was the same and there never felt like much danger. I thought Nathan Long breathed some new life into some characters that were getting seriously stale. I found Orcslayer to be a shakey start but after that I found the situations and the supporting characters much more interesting than in the latter WK ones even the recurring ones.

In Giantslayer there just never felt like much danger for any of the characters as you just knew nothing bad would happen to Teclis, Gotrek or Felix. You always know that Gotrek and Felix are going to come out of the other side so there has to be some attachment to the secondary characters in order for their to be a real sense of danger and towards the end of the WK ones I really found that lacking.

Like everything though YMMV.

@ TheYoungin, in what way did you feel that Long had completely betrayed the portrayels of the characters?

Kaihlik

reds8n
14-01-2011, 08:22
Honestly, I know this isnt a popular opinion but I was getting really bored of the William King books. I just got to a point where it felt that every fight was the same and there never felt like much danger. I thought Nathan Long breathed some new life into some characters that were getting seriously stale. I found Orcslayer to be a shakey start but after that I found the situations and the supporting characters much more interesting than in the latter WK ones even the recurring ones.

I agree entirely. Orcslayer was a bit wobbly in t'middle but rallied well towards the end and each of the books since has been better and better.

So enjoyable I can;t even be too annoyed with him for "stealing" ( term might not comform to accepted definition) my super secret plan for a WFB book either. :D

sabbathstevie
14-01-2011, 14:14
Like Ante64, I used to collect the odd mini when I was younger but was never a gamer - I loved the lore and the history of the warhammer world, particularly the undead and Nagash. I recently got back into reading BL and would have to agree with the majority of posters that the early King G&F books are the best. Thats not to say that I'd disregard Long's continuation of the series - they're still good but somehow feel a bit more "pulpy". Of his, I probably enjoyed Elfslayer best though Zombieslayer is ok.

There's a dwarf omnibus out soon so that might be worth a glance.

Wade Wilson
14-01-2011, 14:19
Have to say...Skavenslayer for the win!

the first omnibus is fantastic, no doubt about it...although you might find yourself reading ahead to the parts with thanquol and his cronies...for me its by and far the best bits in the series.

Ante64
15-01-2011, 22:13
Thanks for all the response :D Really interesting to hear all opinions.

Tymell
20-01-2011, 11:29
I found the series very enjoyable, so long as you go in ready for some fairly mindless hack-n-slash adventuring (nothing wrong with that :D) and aren't looking for a deep analysis of the Warhammer world or anything. And they -are- very well-written in the sense of constructing engrossing adventures and entertaining characters that keep you munching away page after page.

The first three are great, I've honestly lost count of the number of times I've gone back and re-read them. Skavenslayer is probably my all time favourite for it's fantastic Skaven sections, they almost steal the show from the protagonists :p

Dragonslayer, Beastslayer and Vamprieslayer are all still well worth looking into, certainly if you enjoy the first three. Dragonslayer keeps on upping the ante and holds your interest with the characters around Gotrek & Felix, and Beastslayer puts them in the siege situation. Vampireslayer is a bit weaker, but still has it's moments.

After that I kind of lost interest. Giantslayer never really got my attention, it felt too much like it was spinning it out and just moving Gotrek from place to place, and when William King was no longer author I stopped reading entirely.

sssk
20-01-2011, 14:57
I'd agree, I think skavenslayer was my favorite too (though I haven't read it for a little while now).

I found it a generally good series, though when ulrika turns up it gets a little wishy washy (technical term), and I found giantslayer a bit rubbish. I then took a step into Nathan Long's books, and got orcslayer....

That was the first and only gotrek and felix novel which I felt compelled to give up on after a few chapters (though I did finish it through sheer will power). I didn't progress further into the nathan long books (the ones after orcslayer), so couldn't pass comment.

sabbathstevie
21-01-2011, 10:16
Although I don't rate Long's continuation as highly as I do Bill Kings original series, I still snap them up purely on the basis that WFB has far fewer BL books on the release list than the 40K stuff which I'm not interested in.

Strange how, given the October release of G&F books over the past few years, there isn't one listed yet for this year...is it likely that one will be in the pipeline for October and BL just haven't announced it yet? And if so, any guesses on what will be slain next? Ogreslayer, featuring an enormous Dragon Ogre would be my best guess based on fearsome yet well known creatures that haven't yet met Gotrek's axe...

madden
21-01-2011, 10:23
The f&g books are good Orc slayer is the weakest but nathen long has improved and they do get better IMO. As to what's next i'd like more detail of the missing years araby/cathey etc we'll have to wait and see.

Tregar
21-01-2011, 13:28
Yeah, Orcslayer had its faults, like Gotrek firing himself from a catapult. But it has picked up again after that point.

Next in the series? Hmm, who knows. Isn't the Slayer of the Storm God audiobook about killing a Dragon Ogre? I think at some point, it has to become Dwarfslayer...

Tymell
21-01-2011, 13:54
Or if they get really desperate...Fimirslayer? :p

reds8n
21-01-2011, 14:23
Isn't the Slayer of the Storm God audiobook about killing a Dragon Ogre? ...

Nope.

it's a big chaos beastie/servant of Stromfels mainly. It's the best audion book they've done IMO.

sabbathstevie
21-01-2011, 15:51
I wish there was a transcript of Slayer of the Storm God somewhere because I feel like I'm missing that chunk of the story but can't really abide audiobooks in any way.

Zombieslayer very much hinted that Heinrich Kemmler and Krell may well become the new Thanquol, constantly attempting to thwart G&F at every turn but I suspect that wouldn't be for another book or so...as much as I love to read about the undead (Nagash would be a good challenge for Gotrek) I don't think think BL see them as interesting enough to warrant being the baddies in two books on the trot.

i'd like more detail of the missing years araby/cathey etc we'll have to wait and see. I too would enjoy that but we need Gotrek to reach his inevitable conclusion first. When I heard that Bill King had picked up the pen for BL again, I wondered if he might release something in the future based on those missing years? Although Long has improved post Orcslayer, I kind of feel that Bill King ought to be the one to round off and finish the series as he originally intended.

Sludgehammer
21-01-2011, 16:37
I really like these books, and its rare to find a good warhammer book series (I just don't like 40ks fluff and fantasy's can also be very wishy washy)

nagash66
23-01-2011, 14:35
Gotrek and Felix was my all time favourite series of book from the BL...until Orcslayer it not only ruined any chance the new guy had of growing on me but put me off the whole series for a while.

Its not so much that they were terrible, its more like going to the same restaurant for years until one day they change chef and the shock colors you're thoughts on the place for ever more.

Stunty
30-01-2011, 09:13
Iv read about 4 of the books on my travels and really liked them, there no horus heresy but a good read non the less!

LordoftheBrassThrone
18-05-2011, 08:45
Zombieslayer very much hinted that Heinrich Kemmler and Krell may well become the new Thanquol, constantly attempting to thwart G&F at every turn but I suspect that wouldn't be for another book or so...as much as I love to read about the undead (Nagash would be a good challenge for Gotrek) I don't think think BL see them as interesting enough to warrant being the baddies in two books on the trot.

No way. The great thing about Thanquol was that he had so much character, and was still stupid enough to think they were doing everything deliberately to thwart him. Kemmler is just a powerful necromancer, with no humour, no minions that he can actually talk to (or suspect of plotting against him), and the great thing about skavenslayer was that it had so many other evil characters in it. Kemmlers the only dead guy in his army that can even talk.

Razuli
27-05-2011, 06:26
While I agree that Orcslayer was one of the worst books I have ever read (deffinately the worst in the G&F series), Long seems to have gotten alot better. Zombie Slayer has been my favorite book since skavenslayer.