PDA

View Full Version : Dark Elves or Lizardmen...want help for choosing

peacemaker1987
11-01-2011, 09:20
Hey guys, i have just got back in to the game after not playing for a long long time, so can pretty much be treated like a bit of a newb to be honest. I currently have a dwarf army but feel like i have pretty much got everything i want barring maybe some more warriors and things. But otherwise i am pretty happy with them.
So i am looking at starting up a new army, i wanted it to be different from the Dwarves anti magic approach, and i also like the idea of it being a bit hitty too.

So i have come down to these two armies, the lizardmen; i love their magic and a lot of their units are pretty tough too which i really like the look of!

And the Dark Elves; heard plenty of good things about their spearmen, they look like they have fairly good magic and they have assassins which just look the muts nuts to me! Oh and i like the idea of having a killing blow unit too!

Like i said i am pretty green, so i would like one which isn't too hard and complicated to play, but that will help develop my skills.

Cheers guys.

Spiney Norman
11-01-2011, 10:32
Hey guys, i have just got back in to the game after not playing for a long long time, so can pretty much be treated like a bit of a newb to be honest. I currently have a dwarf army but feel like i have pretty much got everything i want barring maybe some more warriors and things. But otherwise i am pretty happy with them.
So i am looking at starting up a new army, i wanted it to be different from the Dwarves anti magic approach, and i also like the idea of it being a bit hitty too.

So i have come down to these two armies, the lizardmen; i love their magic and a lot of their units are pretty tough too which i really like the look of!

And the Dark Elves; heard plenty of good things about their spearmen, they look like they have fairly good magic and they have assassins which just look the muts nuts to me! Oh and i like the idea of having a killing blow unit too!

Like i said i am pretty green, so i would like one which isn't too hard and complicated to play, but that will help develop my skills.

Cheers guys.

I'd go for Lizardmen, but thats largely due to preference (and because Iíve got 3K pts of them already). Both Lizardmen and Dark Elves are strong armies in 8th Edition, although Lizardmen has been a fairly forgiving list since 5th Ed and Slann magic is generally the best in the game (if you ignore the extremities like Teclis, Kairos and the book of Hoeth ).

I would suggest you take a look at both armies on the GW website and decide which you like the look of the most, bear in mind youíre going to have to paint a lot of models from whichever army you choose so its better to pick an army you like the aesthetics of.

peacemaker1987
11-01-2011, 10:36
I'd go for Lizardmen, but thats largely due to preference (and because Iíve got 3K pts of them already). Both Lizardmen and Dark Elves are strong armies in 8th Edition, although Lizardmen has been a fairly forgiving list since 5th Ed and Slann magic is generally the best in the game (if you ignore the extremities like Teclis, Kairos and the book of Hoeth ).

I would suggest you take a look at both armies on the GW website and decide which you like the look of the most, bear in mind youíre going to have to paint a lot of models from whichever army you choose so its better to pick an army you like the aesthetics of.

Yeah, i do love the look of the lizardmen and i have heard lots of nasty stuff about their magic too. I may also see if i can test play an army of each to see how i find them.

Jonnycron
11-01-2011, 18:09
I'd say lizardmen as well but I am
Biased, also if you get bored you can make a Southlands army! (all skinks for a giggle)

TheYoungin
11-01-2011, 18:24
Go lizards you'll have more fun. Both with awesome painting schemes, and play style, I myslef would definitly choose lizardmen for my second army, if my brother wasn't already starting them, and that I'm in love with my orc army and they'll keep me busy for more years to come.

a18no
11-01-2011, 18:48
If you take the warmachines off the dwarf and change it for magic, you'll get lizard...

Slow, near unbreakable army (ld 9 against cold blooded). High toughness and armor, great magic defense....

You really want something new or just different looking model with not a lot of different tactics???

Seriously! I've played Lizard and really loved them. But i did a good trade for a big Ogre army and let them go. If you really want to change the style of play, go for dark elf.

One thing I missed from my lizard is the slann and the saurus. the thing I REALLY don't miss is the bad army list... seriously their's not a lot possible army with the Lizard army book. You got 1 of everything (bunker, heavy cavalry, fast cavalry, shooter, monster, etc...). You almost need a slann in each list.... Make a 2500-3000 pts army list and it's done.

But for dark elf!!! So much different possibility! Go on druchii.net and you'll see so many addictive player!

But like said before: go for the fig you like the most! Everything else will come easely after that. Good games!

someone2040
12-01-2011, 00:35
If you take the warmachines off the dwarf and change it for magic, you'll get lizard...

Slow, near unbreakable army (ld 9 against cold blooded). High toughness and armor, great magic defense....
This is absurd.
Dwarves are ALL like that. But the only things in the Lizardmen list like that are Saurus, which aren't even half of the units in the list.
Lizardmen has a lot more than just slow tough and hard to scare Saurus.

Unlike Dwarves, Lizardmen have access to cavalry, fast troops (Skinks), big monsters, monstrous infantry and all the lores of magic (unless you only take Priests). Also the only ranged units in the list are short ranged (other than giant bow) as opposed to the Dwarves generally long ranged shooting.

Lizardmen and Dwarves have very different playstyles.

Spiney Norman
12-01-2011, 12:12

Isn't that a bit like saying if you take away cheap horde units from skaven and change them for expensive elites you get high elves?

Lizard and dwarf play styles are not remotely the same, mainly because magic and warmachine shooting are totally different play styles (even more so than in 7th because half the spells in the BRB lores are buffs for your units anyway).

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-01-2011, 13:04
Lizardss and dinos are for kids, elves are fun, fast paced and tactical 

Sparowl
12-01-2011, 14:00
Lizardss and dinos are for kids, elves are fun, fast paced and tactical 

Our local DE player would be really sad to hear that he gets continually beaten by kids.

DE's are whiny and emo versions of HEs.

Lizardmen offer you a wide variety of units, although I'd stay away from the cavalry, since they're kinda ridiculously overpriced in this edition.

Have fun!

CJ Linton
12-01-2011, 14:16
I'd go for any type of Elf in 8th Edition... you get to hit first with high Initiative and have good magic to boost your own stats at the right time.

CJ :)

a18no
12-01-2011, 14:36
This is absurd.
Dwarves are ALL like that. But the only things in the Lizardmen list like that are Saurus, which aren't even half of the units in the list.
Lizardmen has a lot more than just slow tough and hard to scare Saurus.

I wasn't insulting lizard, but seriously: you have skinks or saurus.... maybe you can add kroxigor. Everything is in those category. 2 of those are high toughness, good ld (with cold blooded) and good armor.. MORE than half the troop.

Unlike Dwarves, Lizardmen have access to cavalry, fast troops (Skinks), big monsters, monstrous infantry and all the lores of magic (unless you only take Priests). Also the only ranged units in the list are short ranged (other than giant bow) as opposed to the Dwarves generally long ranged shooting.

Lizardmen and Dwarves have very different playstyles.

Cavalry?? You got one, yes dwarf don't. But they got the armor, just not the spead
Fast troop: miners are still fast to my taste.. having face at each game this unit behind my line, I can say that they are fast enough

Your point is ok, and EXACTLY what I said: Lizard got 1 unit of everything possible. But it's still 1. You want fast cav? Terradon, you want monster? Steg, you want heavy troop? Saurus or guards etc. etc. But you are still forced (or near of) to play the slann.

Dark elf only lack the monstruous infantry. they got everything else, and a chariot, more mount for characters. They got a real shooting unit, what lizard lack. And lizard lack choices when come to real close combat unit. You have saurus or kroxigor (don't tell me that skinks are your choice for chock unit....). Dark elf can bring 5 VERY differents unit for close combat, I consider this a BIG bonus since 8th is design to be played mainly in the close combat phase (after MY playtesting, it's not the only conclusion possible). Saurus are hand weapon, lance or hallebard, but are still only saurus with the same armor or near of... After playing them for some time, I've come to the conclusion that each can be play in 1 or 2 possibility, giving you 2-3 different choices for your list...

Warriors are cheap, with spear and 5+ armor
Witches are Ws4, Ini 6, poison, 2 hand weapon, frenzy no armor
Corsair are WS4, 5+ or 4+ armor, 2 hand weapon
Executionner are killing blow, Str 6, 5+ armor strike last
Black guard are WS5, Str4, 5+ armor, ItP, stubborn, re-roll everyturn

Each of those unit have different strategy on the field, can be play at very different size for very different purpose. Add a cauldron and you can double the purpose of each one...

So all the argument you gave for lizard can be apply to dark elf: versatility of the list, even if I (and it's me after playing both army for some months) consider that lizard are more static list than dark elf.

Coming to my exact same conclusion: go for which figs you prefer when you look at them. Each book got good strategy and lists, each can be very interesting to play, and you won't be last at each tournement that is sure!

Good games!

Lord of Divine Slaughter
12-01-2011, 16:58
Our local DE player would be really sad to hear that he gets continually beaten by kids.

So your local DE player is bad at Warhammer. So what? It still doesn't change the fact that the dino/lizard thing is a childish concept.

DE's are whiny and emo versions of HEs.

So true. They aren't prissy dandelion eaters, but the whiny emo part only goes for Malekith and his mom. The rest of the darkies are pretty cool - besides emos are kinda cute ;)

Lizardmen offer you a wide variety of units, although I'd stay away from the cavalry, since they're kinda ridiculously overpriced in this edition.

Stay away from cavalry? But what if the OP likes cavalry? Go for whatever model range that suits you the best and field the units you like the best regardless of rules :p Darkies have no poor choices of units, so the only reason to go with the lizzies is if the childish dinos have a better appeal than cool and deadly elves..

Besides, darkies have ninjas that should be reason enough :cheese:

Theblackdwarf
12-01-2011, 23:41
I always like to go for armies that play differently from one another just to add a bit of spice to procedings. I'd go for Dark elves for several reasons:

1.) Theyre evil. Always nice to play for the bad guys once in a while. Plus, Skaven aside, its hard put to find an army that philosophically is more different to the dwarfs

2.) Maaaagic- Obviously youre covering this base with lizzies aswell. Im still a fan of dark magic though

3.) Lightly armoured and fast moving- In terms of styles of play youve got a vastly different army to your previous force. If you go for lizzies, youre going to find ranks of solid, tough, unmoving infantry much like the dwarfs. It depends if you fancy a change.

As for cavalry- whoever you choose youre getting the same mount so thats easy enough :)

hashrat
13-01-2011, 00:40
What a shocking accusation! DE are evil indeed. tut.
It is a well known fact that is HE propaganda.
Dark Elves cuddle bunnies and push a giant pot of strawberry jam around wherever they go.
Scouts honour!

Seriously though, DE offer more variety if that is a concern. If not then it defaults back to wich models you prefer, or background fluff.
DE cavalry includes Cold Ones, but MA/9 Elven steeds too.