PDA

View Full Version : What terrain is missing?

The Devourer
11-01-2011, 17:48
I hear a lot of people complaining about lack of xeno terrain but what in particular is missing?

I am considering producing some basic alien terrain but which style would people like to see most?

Zanzibarthefirst
11-01-2011, 17:51
id like to see smaller type building like watch towers, turrets, that kind of thing.

Pontiff
11-01-2011, 18:04
Non ruined habitation blocks.

The 41st milenium must have building in it that are more than grey stalingrad esque corners.

Be nice to see some building like the empire ones that are intact and have an option for removable rooves to place figures inside.

Also agri world terrain so that every 'greenside' battle doesnt look like its being fought in Kent.

But in general i'd like to see more stuff that you could use to represent battlegorunds in the early stages of a war before its all grey rubble (i appreciate given orbital bombardments this is probably about 15 seconds :) ).

Definitly some objective that are important but not neccesarily a big bloody fortress/bastion/defence line covered in cannons! A science station with a comms relay (astropath relay perhaps) with enough walkways and sub floors to provide cover and diversity without needing to be covered in armoured bulkheads.

Non imperial centric terrain would be nice but seeing as this was experimented with in warhammer with the orc village its unlikely as they havnt gone back down that route. About 70 per cent of sales are mairnes and guard so it makes sense to tool up expensive plastics machines (about 150,000 quid a press last time i was told the cost) to churn out stuff usuable by the most people.

But having said that a tau research station or outpost would be cool, ditto eldar or similar. Alien space port... etc Be good to give the marines something to actually attack and sieze like they are supposed to rather than defending imperial stuff all the time.

And finally... terrain with less bloody skulls and spikes on it or at least all the over the top bobbins on seperate plates so you can choose *exactly* how stupid and over the top you'd like it to be... the honoured imperium statue to me was a breath of fresh air, its not covered in iconography and its not half wrecked.

Lord Damocles
11-01-2011, 18:05
Generic Ork shacks
Eldar towers
Chaos buildings which aren't just spikey Imperial buildings
Anything not encrusted with skulls...
Eldar ruins (see also Collected Visions)
Bunkers
Necron pyramids/obelisks
Tau sensor arrays
Tyranid digestion pools/spoor towers (Forgeworld do make them, but at THAT price?!)
Dawn of War style HQ buildings etc.

Pontiff
11-01-2011, 18:20
Anything not encrusted with skulls...

Embarassing isnt it...

The whole death cult skull thing and morbid fatalism works so much better when its not quite so exagerated. While I'm aware that many real life places are *more* over the top like the ossiary in prague (google it if you've not seen it and want to see a *real* cathedral of skulls), I think that they lose their impact when they have more area on a piece than anything else :)

FashaTheDog
11-01-2011, 18:30
Oh yeah, the Sedlec Ossuary is pretty cool.

Outside:
http://www.moolf.com/images/stories/Weird/Sedlec-Ossuary/Sedlec-Ossuary10.JPG
Two interior shots:
http://filmfoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/sedlec-ossuary2.jpg
http://www.richard-seaman.com/Travel/CzechRepublic/Highlights/SedlecChandelier.jpg

Crazy Ivan
11-01-2011, 18:36
Chaos buildings which aren't just spikey Imperial buildings

But if they do those well, they'll probably make your eyes bleed! (or at least they'll break the laws of physics...)

I'd like to see:

Normal housing blocks (preferably with bits for making them into shops and bars and stuff); even if they are ruined, although "complete" buildings would be nice.
A monorail system (just give us a few raised "rails", and some bits for making a station or something! You know you want to...)
Failing that, agriworld terrain would be nice too; generic farmhouses, a hydrostation, perhaps even a giant ruined combine harvester... :D
Eldar, Tau and Tyranid stuff would be cool too.

Erwos
11-01-2011, 18:43
GW really dropped the ball on terrain by not including formal rules for terrain setup in the 40k rulebook. The FOC should have had terrain slots that let you buy useful terrain for your army. Think about it: certain armies might change quite a lot by being able to ensure certain useful pieces of terrain were available to them (eg, trenches for heavy weapon squads, bastions, etc.).

And, naturally, GW could have profited by making sure they made the terrain pieces in the rules.

In any event, lots of other companies make 28mm terrain, so there's plenty to buy, even if it's not from GW.

Pontiff
11-01-2011, 19:04
Or make your own. I build an agri world complax with hydroponics etc out of kitchen tat and food packaging over about a weekend last year.

The Devourer
11-01-2011, 19:16
Currently I have ideas for Necron, Tau and Eldar stuff. Nothing will be huge kits. At the start it will just be one piece buildings. Tyranid stuff will be more dificult but may follow.

Suprised by the interest in normal human buildings. I may look into producing some generic future buildings. Rest assured none of my terrain will be covered in skulls.

FashaTheDog
11-01-2011, 19:18
Really Pontiff? Weyland-Yutani? That's a most beautiful touch. I want to play a 'Nids v. Guard game on that table in the worst way now.

Marus
11-01-2011, 20:34
Aliens vs Predator vs Catachan vs Master Chief. (I see that warthog there.) Very nice set, Pontiff.

Pontiff
12-01-2011, 01:16
Actually it was built for a nids vs guard game.

In the game the 9th 'Swamp Tigers' Iridian were retreating and decided to make a stand at Jadeberry Farm and were aided by the 'farmer' agri centre chief, his agri servitors, staff (including a ratling cook) and his dog ( :) ) They were attacked by a force of Stealers, Hunter Slayers and Zoats!

Lothlanathorian
12-01-2011, 01:39
Pontiff, is that...a real girl?! These pictures are clearly shopped. :p

Excellent looking terrain, though, really. Also, love the Beastguardsman.

I'd really like to see agri terrain and Eldar or Tau terrain. Some Tyranid stuff would be cool, but isn't at the top of my list.

Pontiff
12-01-2011, 01:44
She is indeed!

My girl Sian plays 40k with me every now and then and helped build that agri scenery.. the grain tower is her work. The girl in the pic is an ex who I'm still good mates with whose massivley into Space Hulk (she's awesom really!).

That game was played by about 50 per cent hot girls actually* (my lady, Carrie who is pictured and the very lovely Heather)... possibly a 40k record. It was 3 players a side with me as GM

Pretty good game all in all :)

But back in track I'd *really* like to see terrain that say had a removable roof and even removable top floor that could be replace with a ruined one that just slotted on.

*hot is relative... if you like gothy girls they're hot if you prefer your ladies in tracksuits, burberry and hoop earing you could jump a police dog through then you'd probably not think them that lush :)