PDA

View Full Version : To base or not to base...

Ironmonger
12-01-2011, 18:05
I've played a few games of Man O'War now and I think that it is simply a brilliant game: fast and furious and fun! I've recently acquired a number of ships and have a greater number coming in the near future, so was wondering about basing. I've seen plenty of fleets both based and unbased, but am undecided myself as to which direction I wanted to go.

Any thoughts or opinions? Has anyone based their fleet? Do you find it easier to use the templates for turning and firing if the ships are based?

Easy E
17-01-2011, 12:58
You are a one man Man O' War revival!

I don't know the answer to your question. I have only played with templates. That being said, what is this Sea of Claws you referred to in a different post? Is it a forum, Yahoo! group, or something else?

I maybe interested in joining up.

Ironmonger
18-01-2011, 08:18
I do what I can... and AI is next in my area! :D

The Sea of Claws is a yahoo group. Any and everything you need to know about Man O'War is to be found there. ;) If you're thinking about getting into MoW, here's some advice: DO IT! It's awesome! Ebay prices aren't bad at all, and there are other companies (http://greenforesttradingco.com/Reptillian_Fleet.html) have ships (Empire/Pirate, Undead, Lizardmen, Dwarfs) just as good for less!

/plug

My buddy came back from a fleet-acquisition trip tonight, and the ships he picked up were based: they looked pretty good! This is even more of an issue now, as I've seen both based and unbased ships that look ace. Sigh. Decisions, decisions...

Daklathen
24-01-2011, 20:39
I am said buddy!

After unboxing (that's right, I got an unopened box of Man O' War on my trip) some Dark Elf ships, I realized that I would HAVE to base them, since the width of the ships are roughly 1/3 the height of them. They are IMPOSSIBLE to stand on their own without bases. I would think that base would be useful, but you would still measure everything from the ship model, not the edge of the base. Similar to BFG where you measure from the stem, not the edge of the base.

On a side not, I will be getting my chaos dwarf fleet in this week, getting my total to 2 Thunderfire Battlebarges, 1 Great Leveler Battlebarge, 9 Hull Destroyers, 4 Great Taurai and 3 Thunder Rollers.

Ironmonger
24-01-2011, 20:45
I am said buddy!

After unboxing (that's right, I got an unopened box of Man O' War on my trip) some Dark Elf ships, I realized that I would HAVE to base them, since the width of the ships are roughly 1/3 the height of them. They are IMPOSSIBLE to stand on their own without bases. I would think that base would be useful, but you would still measure everything from the ship model, not the edge of the base. Similar to BFG where you measure from the stem, not the edge of the base.

On a side not, I will be getting my chaos dwarf fleet in this week, getting my total to 2 Thunderfire Battlebarges, 1 Great Leveler Battlebarge, 9 Hull Destroyers, 4 Great Taurai and 3 Thunder Rollers.

Yeah, can't wait to see them Fire Dwarfs... I mean, Chaos Dwarfs... painted up and ready to throw down with my Dwarfs. 2,000 point game? :D

As for the basing, I think we'll go ahead and do it; it just looks awesome with the waves painted on and such. I wanna try to match all our bases with this: http://www.hotzmats.com/mat_gallery_sea_blue.html (minus the hexes).

Ironmonger
19-05-2011, 01:12
I've recently acquired a few sheets of styrene/plasticard from a company in Georgia. It's 0.060 (1.5 mm) thick and clear. I've been experimenting with it over the last few days, and it will work PERFECTLY for Man O'War bases! I'll post a few pictures later on. Basically, there will be around 5 basic base sizes, with most of the bases being a rectangular footprint of the ship and masts (i.e. from stem to stern, and from port to starboard as far out as the masts/yard arms go). Looks like it'll work perfectly to have sizes in the following range: MoW Large, MoW Small, SotL Large, SotL Medium, SotL Small. Most Solos fall within the medium to small categories, and the only really odd size is the Black Ark.

Ironmonger
24-05-2011, 05:31
Here are some of the results of the sheet styrene cutting: http://sbwargaming.blogspot.com/2011/05/plog-man-owar-dwarfs-and-brets.html

Steam_Giant
26-05-2011, 08:28
I based the smaller of my Uncharted seas ships (link in sig). Im glad I did becuase they are resin based with metal sails they were a little top heavy, I dont have a problem with the larger ones due to wider hulls.

Naval wargames need more love.

Good luck to your sir!

Hubman
17-08-2011, 08:27
Basing or not basing is a dilemma that I've never resolved and will have to face again, considering that I have a lot of original ships that almost all need to be painted up before being playable.

The advantages of basing are:
-your model suffers less, as you can pick up and shove the base instead of the model on it
-easier for storing and transporting
-eliminating some troubles due to models being top heavy or of small width

Disadvantages:
-there are really no standard sizes, width is more of a problem than length
-what do you do with whacky models? There are quite a few!
-where do you measure from?
-what happens in boarding actions?

All of the above lead me to conclude that basing is better for the models but not basing is better for the game. On that premise I think my outlook will be that I shall try to leave them unbased for now. Only if certain miniatures were to become to horrible too handle during a game would I consider basing them.

P.S.: the based Junk Pirates look pretty good!:)

Kind regards,

Hubman