PDA

View Full Version : What new armies have been released for 8th?

IcedCrow
13-01-2011, 18:29
Coming back to the hobby ... been out of it for a while. I bought a chaos warrior book last year to update my chaos army.

Anyhow... what new armies have come out since 8th's release and how would you rate them?

Trying to see which new books I need to snag.

Grazzi

N810
13-01-2011, 18:36
None so far.

Ultimate Life Form
13-01-2011, 18:39
None, which with the sole release of the abysmal Beastmen almost a year ago leaves a truly pathetic record for 2010.

BigbyWolf
13-01-2011, 18:45
None, which with the sole release of the abysmal Beastmen almost a year ago leaves a truly pathetic record for 2010.

This is a little subjective, I know a couple of people who are really enjoying the new beasts book (personally, I'm not one of them- the fact that I can't take marks and can't field nothing but Minos makes my army redundant. Still, it leaves me with a lot of proxies for other armies).

Looking at the latest release armies and the way they play, you could say that Skaven and Beastmen were designed with 8th in mind, rather then 7th. Orcs & Goblins are due a new book shortly, so that will be the official "First book" of 8th.

LevDaddy
13-01-2011, 19:08
This is a little subjective, I know a couple of people who are really enjoying the new beasts book (personally, I'm not one of them- the fact that I can't take marks and can't field nothing but Minos makes my army redundant. Still, it leaves me with a lot of proxies for other armies).

Looking at the latest release armies and the way they play, you could say that Skaven and Beastmen were designed with 8th in mind, rather then 7th. Orcs & Goblins are due a new book shortly, so that will be the official "First book" of 8th.

+1 this. Beastmen are fine, but they aren't "OMG!". My LGS has several players who have taken them up, including myself, and we're having a blast with them.

The first true 8th edition book will be Orcs n Gobs, coming this March. Check out the GW site for all your info needs.

IcedCrow
14-01-2011, 13:48
Hmmmm I thought that the Skaven had received some new rules.

BigbyWolf
14-01-2011, 13:52
Hmmmm I thought that the Skaven had received some new rules.

They got a new book at the end of 7th edition, but that's it.

IcedCrow
14-01-2011, 13:58
Thanks for the clarification =)

Whitehorn
14-01-2011, 14:11

Personally I have embraced the 8th edition changes as a whole new way of writing armies and composing lists overall. Essentially, everyone had new army books and can write very different lists to suit the new rules. I'm in no hurry to have a whole army re-write just yet.

Apart from my Orcs.

Who are due very soon :D

TwoBitWriter
14-01-2011, 15:55
Like all Dwarf relics, their army book is built to withstand the ravages of time and use. :P

So, no hurry :)

OldMan
14-01-2011, 18:45
No army is strictly 8th ed, but both skaven and beasts were clearly written with 8th ed. in mind.

RMacDeezy
14-01-2011, 18:52
No army is strictly 8th ed, but both skaven and beasts were clearly written with 8th ed. in mind.

i think the item in the beasts book requiring you to pay 75 points for 'stubborn' may disagree with you ;)

Korraz
14-01-2011, 19:18
Or SiN that didn't really work well with 8th, until Errata.

mrtn
15-01-2011, 00:05
i think the item in the beasts book requiring you to pay 75 points for 'stubborn' may disagree with you ;)

And I think the ability of centigors to choose between a weapon that's S5 on the charge and one that's S5 all the time disagree with you. A worthless item in the armybook doesn't mean a lot, for example the Primeval Club is worthless in both 7th and 8th.

OldMan
15-01-2011, 11:07
I can't speak for Beastbook, i haven't seen it.

But it is clear for me, that omision of Unit Strengh everywere in skaven book was done with 8th in mind. Same for lack of partials, ponderous machine and I think the way bell/furnace work.

Haravikk
15-01-2011, 11:20
I'm still a bit surprised they didn't just release a minor update of the Skaven book, and maybe High Elves given the Island of Blood set, in order to get the two starter armies up to date with an 8th edition armies book.