PDA

View Full Version : 2500 HE Beast Lore Centric

Rogue Sun
14-01-2011, 06:16
Hey, Warseer, I'm a new fantasy player, having long played 40k. I've been building my High Elves army but have yet to play a game. I was messing around with the idea of a different kind of HE list today and came up with this:

LORDS
Prince
- Great Weapon
- Dragon Armor
- Enchanted Shield
- Great Eagle Mount

Archmage (Lvl 4, Beast Lore)
- Star Lance
- Silver Wand
- Guardian Phoenix
- Great Eagle Mount

HEROES
Noble
- Dragon Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Dragon Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount
- Battle Standard Bearer

CORE
23 Lothern Sea Guard
- Full Command
324pts

22 Lothern Sea Guard
- Full Command
311pts

SPECIAL
17 White Lions/Swordmasters
- Full Command
285pts

- Full Command
- Banner of Sorcery
335pts

---------------------------OR----------------------------

6 Dragon Princes

6 Dragon Princes

6 Dragon Princes
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of Sorcery

If the 4 Nobles, the Archmage and the Prince all form a pseudo unit on their own, they can start ripping through just about anything. They are fast, have the ability to charge over other models and between the 6 of them generate a staggering number of high strength attacks, especially after Savage Beast of Horros goes off. If I get that off without it being dispelled and the Prince and 4 nobles are within 12" of my mage, they can pump out 35 strength 9 attacks with ASF and (most likely) rerolling misses. That is then followed up with 12 Great Eagle attacks and finally another 6 stomp attacks.

This is where I have a question: Does Savage Beast of Horros increase the Great Eagles strength? The wording of the spell says the 'models' strength is increased so I'm not sure if that means only the rider or both.

Should something amazingly survive that kind of onslaught, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt should greatly increase the survivability of them all. The one big downfall of this unit no ranks, so Steadfast will be a problem, however I feel like any unit big enough to survive 35 Strength 9 attacks deserves another round of combat.

The Seaguard gives me a solid Core which can threaten at both range and in combat. They are now dangerous enough not to be ignored.

Special is where I'm having trouble, which is so strange in a HE list! Part of me is thinking White Lions for another very intimidating, survivable force which cannot be ignored and can take down bigger things should my Eagle Flock (TM) be preoccupied elsewhere. Part of me is thinking Sword Masters for their lawn mowing abilities. And Finally part of me is still thinking tons of Dragon Princes for their ability to keep up with the Eagle Flock (TM), hit hard, put out a respectable number of attacks and still be fairly survivable.

This started out being a 'fun' list but the more I am thinking about this, the more I think it could honestly wreck some face in tournaments, especially against opponents expecting a "standard" HE list.

Thoughts?

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
14-01-2011, 07:19
Comments in blue:

Hey, Warseer, I'm a new fantasy player, having long played 40k. I've been building my High Elves army but have yet to play a game. I was messing around with the idea of a different kind of HE list today and came up with this:

LORDS
Prince
- Great Weapon
- Dragon Armor
- Enchanted Shield
- Great Eagle Mount

Archmage (Lvl 4, Beast Lore)
- Star Lance
- Silver Wand
- Guardian Phoenix
- Great Eagle Mount

Just because an Archmage can take a magic weapon doesn't mean neccessarily he should. The Star Lance would be better served on a figure with multiple attacks. HE Mages are spellcasters first and foremost.

HEROES
Noble
- Dragon Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Dragon Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount

Noble
- Heavy Armor
- Shield
- Great Weapon
- Great Eagle Mount
- Battle Standard Bearer

CORE
23 Lothern Sea Guard
- Full Command
324pts

22 Lothern Sea Guard
- Full Command
311pts

SPECIAL
- Full Command
285pts

- Full Command
- Banner of Sorcery
335pts

---------------------------OR----------------------------

6 Dragon Princes

6 Dragon Princes

6 Dragon Princes
- Musician
- Standard Bearer
- Banner of Sorcery

If the 4 Nobles, the Archmage and the Prince all form a pseudo unit on their own, they can start ripping through just about anything. They are fast, have the ability to charge over other models and between the 6 of them generate a staggering number of high strength attacks, especially after Savage Beast of Horros goes off. If I get that off without it being dispelled and the Prince and 4 nobles are within 12" of my mage, they can pump out 35 strength 9 attacks with ASF and (most likely) rerolling misses. That is then followed up with 12 Great Eagle attacks and finally another 6 stomp attacks.

Interesting idea but a lot of it depends on getting spells off and getting the unit lined up and ready to charge (It would roughly take you at least 2 to 3 rounds to get into combat assuming you didn't form them as a unit in the beginning of the game). That involves some setup on your part with a lot of luck besides. In addition since you've neglected taking on any magical defenses against spells and/or warmachines there is a good chance that you'll probably lose a few nobles that way & when the opponent multi-charges your uber unit you won't have ranks/numbers to fight your way out. Heaven forbid if you roll poorly for swiftstride while charging or fleeing. :eek:

This is where I have a question: Does Savage Beast of Horros increase the Great Eagles strength? The wording of the spell says the 'models' strength is increased so I'm not sure if that means only the rider or both.

If this is the Lore of beast spell that target characters I don't think it applies to mounts as well.

Should something amazingly survive that kind of onslaught, Pann's Impenetrable Pelt should greatly increase the survivability of them all. The one big downfall of this unit no ranks, so Steadfast will be a problem, however I feel like any unit big enough to survive 35 Strength 9 attacks deserves another round of combat.

Again just playing devil advocate here but this hedges on the fact you'll be able to get that spell (which your chances being pretty good with the silver wand) or casting that spell (which isn't guaranteed). Plus there are several armies that could survive that kind of first round onslaught and still be able to strike back hard. Multi-charges will be a danger if you get stuck in prolonged combat with steadfast units.

The Seaguard gives me a solid Core which can threaten at both range and in combat. They are now dangerous enough not to be ignored.

Special is where I'm having trouble, which is so strange in a HE list! Part of me is thinking White Lions for another very intimidating, survivable force which cannot be ignored and can take down bigger things should my Eagle Flock (TM) be preoccupied elsewhere. Part of me is thinking Sword Masters for their lawn mowing abilities. And Finally part of me is still thinking tons of Dragon Princes for their ability to keep up with the Eagle Flock (TM), hit hard, put out a respectable number of attacks and still be fairly survivable.

For your special units I'd probably go with a mix of DPs & White Lions for the hammer/anvil this army is sorely lacking.

This started out being a 'fun' list but the more I am thinking about this, the more I think it could honestly wreck some face in tournaments, especially against opponents expecting a "standard" HE list.

Thoughts?

The novelty factor is original but I don't think it's game breaking as you make it out to be. I can see Skaven, Dwarves, & Empire having a field day with this army and you lack the number to fight off horde armies with warmachines like Orcs & Goblins. Even an Ogre army could potentially stand up to your army with a resonable chance of success.

Ultimately if you do run this list I would probably use the eagle mounted figures as a distraction force of individuals first but within 12" of the Archmage while potentially being able to charge in multiple directions to cause your opponent to shift his lines to try and deal with potential flank/rear charges while your MAIN combat units ie. the WL & DPs close the distance to charge/lockdown units which is then assaulted by your eagle heroes to give you better chances of breaking large units in close combat.

The LSG will have to hold/delay other enemy units while the heroes and special units destroy their targets one at a time.