PDA

View Full Version : Orks for dirt cheap?

Far Seer
14-01-2011, 07:50
So I've started taking in an interest in orks again (for about the 5th time) just can't ignore their orky goodness. So the problem is money is quite tight as I'm currently juggling blood angels and elder with difficulty. So ive decided to keep stuff for orks diet cheap for now.I've got AOBR- I found the marine models to be useless even though i collect BAs so I could probablymtrade that in for some green goodness. The rest of the boys I probably Will buy AOBR boyz from bits websites and also buy shootas so I can make shoota boys
As well.as for vehicles like trukks and battlewagons, I will probably buy cheap toy monster trucks, etc and make them look orky. Just throwing random ideas around, anything I missed in making orks as cheap as possible?

Moriarty
14-01-2011, 08:09
_Buy_ shootas? Are ye mad, lad? You mean insert plastic tube of the appropriate diameter between the slugga magazine & the barrel, surely?

Far Seer
14-01-2011, 09:31
_Buy_ shootas? Are ye mad, lad? You mean insert plastic tube of the appropriate diameter between the slugga magazine & the barrel, surely?

an excellent idea!:)thanks. but then that would mean i would have to model the boy's arm to hold the slugga with both hands.

nagash66
14-01-2011, 10:00
Just throwing random ideas around, anything I missed in making orks as cheap as possible?

Ebay and shops that sell used warhammer almost always have old edition rhinos-chimeras-etc for very very cheap.

They are almost always damaged/grosly overpainted/ missing bits and can go for as low as 2-3 pounds.

They make GREAT bases for tournament legal ( has to be 70% GW model or somthing) and can be made orky with very little effort.

Ambull Tau
14-01-2011, 11:20
I'm doing Orks.

Most of them are AoBR Orks bought for cheap off Ebay.

My Flashgitz are AoBR Orks with Maximin Pirate heads and cutlasses.

My Kommandos are AoBR orks posed hiding behind stuff/in barrels/Holding a tree.

Most of my vehicles are 'looted' version of whatever was cheap on ebay at the time.

So far I've had no problems using them, people like 'em.

(I need to do pics some day, I do plan on doing a blog.)

sigur
14-01-2011, 17:07
If I was you, I wouldn't work on three armies at once and only start a new army when you're able to support it. Dirt cheap indicates the quality you get unless you're really inclined of doing much conversion work and are able to pull it off in large quantities at very good quality.

Moriarty
14-01-2011, 22:30
an excellent idea!:)thanks. but then that would mean i would have to model the boy's arm to hold the slugga with both hands.

Not if your boyz were 'enthusiastic' in their fire :-)

With orks, you soon learn to go with the flow. Dude.

Bestaltan
15-01-2011, 01:21
If I was you, I wouldn't work on three armies at once and only start a new army when you're able to support it.

I agree with this, but from a different angle. Finish the BA's and Eldar, then work on Orks. The reason why is this.......bitz. Finishing those two armies will give you lots and lots and lots of bitz. Ork armies THRIVE on bitz.

For example.....I own 6 battlewagons. Four are the actual battlewagon model. The other two.......An Orkified devilfish (gotta love a tank on a clear plastic base whose deff rolla makes it sag in the front. My Orkified lowrider :D) and one of the old square land raiders (Gronk Gronk!!! for those of you who get the joke). They work beautifully.

Every once in a while I just gotta Orkify something, and having a big bitz box really helps. Same goes for the Ork army. You'll quickly find that your lootas are sprouting lascannons and eldar d cannons from their shoulders, tankbustas are carrying around imperial missile launchers, kustom mega blastas bear a suspicious resemblance to plasma cannons, etc.

Devil Tree
15-01-2011, 01:49
One way you can pad your points is by upgrading one unit of Slugga Boys into Ard Boys. All you really have to do is cover them with spare pieces of armor/junk. While they are a lot more expensive than their naked brethren, a +4 armor save can come in handy, especially when you get stuck in CC.

Beyond that, just be creative, Orks are really a converters (or cheapskates) dream. Any old Ork with a big gun, spare flamer or tube can easily double as a Loota, Burna or Tank Busta Boy and their vehicles can be just about any old piece of junk on wheels.

Rhamag
15-01-2011, 03:08
I did this a few years ago. Perhaps it will be of help:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102507

Far Seer
15-01-2011, 05:40
Ebay and shops that sell used warhammer almost always have old edition rhinos-chimeras-etc for very very cheap.

They are almost always damaged/grosly overpainted/ missing bits and can go for as low as 2-3 pounds.

They make GREAT bases for tournament legal ( has to be 70% GW model or somthing) and can be made orky with very little effort.

Luckily for me, I don't participate in tournaments much. But I love some of the bitz from the old orkz trukk, so could u point out a few websites that sell 2nd hand or old models (prefer not to use eBay)