PDA

View Full Version : 2250 High Elf infantry. Need some tips...

The Wudewasa
14-01-2011, 14:19
Okay, my current list:

Arch Mage Level 4 (Lore of Life)
Vortex Shard (expensive but worth it in every game so far!)

BSB with Great Weapon and Dragon Armour
Crown of Command and Opal Amulet

10 Archers
20 Spearmen with Full Command
18 Sea Guard with Shields, Full Command and Banner of Eternal Flame

18 Sword Masters with Full Command and Banner of Sorcery
18 White Lions with Full Command nd Ironcurse Icon
18 Phoenix Guard with Full Command

2 Bolt Throwers

I've played 3 games so far and won 2 (against Brets and VC). I lost to O&G but it was close until my Archmage got caught out by a long charge.

I made the army based on aesthetics, as I like to see a lot of varied infantry on the table. I'm learning a lot as I go along but I'm worried about coming up against armies with lots of shooting (e.g. Dark Elves). Can anyone suggest a way to balance the army out without changing too much?

My next game is against Beasts with multiple fast moving threats (including impact hits which are the bane of Always Strikes First!) so I need to think about a build that can cope with all comers.

Thanks in advance.

thesheriff
14-01-2011, 19:15
Id give the BSB Armour of Caelador, Guardian phoiniex, Gw myself, but whatever works for you.

All your specials are the same size. Although great is your obsessive compulsive, they do work better in differantw ays. White liosn are great horde, but 18 will be good. The sowrsmasters can lose 4 and form to 2 ranks. Pg's can go minimum fronatge 5x4. But, you dont have to add any if your chars are going in there.

The Pg's should have sorcery, the White lions could use flame banner, swordsmasters could use Talismain of Loec on champ (sucidal challenge monkey FTW :p)

10 Archers is a bit meh. You core could be re-organised into 2 x 20 Seaguard w. shields, command? Bit more reliable and less over the place.

I'd be tempted to drop the 18 Swords actually, and the RBT's, then re-organise the points into 2x14 Swordmasters w. Command. More Hitty. and RBT's rarley do much in my opinion.

thesheriff

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
15-01-2011, 02:50
Id give the BSB Armour of Caelador, Guardian phoiniex, Gw myself, but whatever works for you.

All your specials are the same size. Although great is your obsessive compulsive, they do work better in differantw ays. White liosn are great horde, but 18 will be good. The sowrsmasters can lose 4 and form to 2 ranks. Pg's can go minimum fronatge 5x4. But, you dont have to add any if your chars are going in there.

The Pg's should have sorcery, the White lions could use flame banner, swordsmasters could use Talismain of Loec on champ (sucidal challenge monkey FTW :p)

10 Archers is a bit meh. You core could be re-organised into 2 x 20 Seaguard w. shields, command? Bit more reliable and less over the place.

I'd be tempted to drop the 18 Swords actually, and the RBT's, then re-organise the points into 2x14 Swordmasters w. Command. More Hitty. and RBT's rarley do much in my opinion.

thesheriff

I concur with mostly what the sheriff has already suggested. To deal with the chariots I'd trade in one of the RBT for 2 Great Eagles. They great for dealing with light cavalry & chariots.

Harbinger17
16-01-2011, 04:08
Really?
RBT's have always done extremely well for me. i take atleast one for every 1000 pts. :cheese:

thesheriff
16-01-2011, 08:50
The issue is, they are very expensive. A bolt thrower of similar races costs far less. And the stuff you should be targeting with them, like monsters and lone characters, usually don't require the fancy 6 shots.

Tge only way they cab be effective is if you take them en mass. And that's ALOT of points.

The Wudewasa
16-01-2011, 19:19
Thanks guys, some interesting ideas there. I did pick Armour of Caledor and Guardian Phoenix for the BSB originally but then thought the lack of ranks in the army may be problematic so thought making him stubborn would be useful.

I made the units the sizes they are again as a mainly aesthetic thing. The 18 string can form up either 9x2 or 6x3 but I appreciate what you are saying here and may change it.

Not sure about the Bolt Throwers. I've always found the elven BTs to be quite effective both when facing them and using them myself. That said I can see that they are perhaps not cost effective for their abilities and dropping them would also make me less likely to remain static.

I agree about the Core choices and am seriously considering dropping the archers and upping the sea guard. Again though, I am worried about Dark Elf and Empire shooting armies and the extra range of the long bow would come in handy there.

Thanks again though, you've given me something to think about.