PDA

View Full Version : Starting Empire

tremulant
14-01-2011, 18:12
Just started an empire army - picked up a box of statesmen, gunners, greatswords, a general and a couple wizards. I was thinking of grabbing the battalion, but I'm not a fan of cavalry, which got me thinking - are cavalry "necessary" in an army, let alone an empire one, in 8th? I've been hearing that infantry got a huge boost over 7th and that cavalry now is no longer the win-all unit type they used to be. So has infantry been brought up enough that I can now go with low-to-none in the cavalry department?

I'll probably pick up the battalion regardless, but the knights that come with will probably either sit aside, or be the only cavalry I'll use.

Also, if I do this, where should I look next to expand? How should I build what I've bought so far? (including the battalion for when I get it)

Thanks!

TwoBitWriter
14-01-2011, 18:13
I think you would do well to get a set of Outriders/Pistoliers.

Ultimate Life Form
14-01-2011, 18:16
Cavalry is by no means necessary for an army to win; in fact there are some that don't have any Cavalry at all, though it certainly never hurts to have a highly mobile unit.

In case of Empire you have access to more than enough War Machines and 8 Lores of Magic to sort out the garbage for you, so Knightless Empire, if a bit unusual, is definitely viable.

galenus
14-01-2011, 18:49
The battalion is definitely worthwhile. The retail sum of its parts is $150, so for a $105 price you're essentially getting the Greatswords for free. Sell the knights and buy more artillery if you so desire. You will still be up in value if you gave the knights away for free.

These figures in no way promote or condemn current GW prices.