PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting Thousand Sons?

Aedes
16-01-2011, 00:49
I just finished reading the first Space Wolf Omnibus.
I am aware that the book is a bit older....and we should not believe everything from BL...
In "Grey Hunter" a warp gate created by "dark sorcery" allows Magnus to
resurrect the souls of his dead thousand sons and re-birth them into the bodies of cultists.
After the debate about Chaos Space Marines and how they can keep their numbers-- is this idea from "Grey Hunter" a valid possibility? Is it possible in the current background?

Vaulkhar
16-01-2011, 02:21
It's the warp. Normal obstacles like the laws of physics are a trifling inconvenience.

On a more serious note, this has happened elsewhere in the fluff - specifically the multiple rsurrections of Lucius the Eternal. Whilst this does involve the direct involvement of Slaanesh, it should be noted that there's usually no warp rift involved in these cases and (S)He is basically doing it for much the same reason as a toddler rewinding a clockwork toy that's run down.

LexxBomb
16-01-2011, 11:04
its sounds kinda a like a rehash of a scene from the Inquisition War trilogy.

AndrewGPaul
16-01-2011, 11:32
is this idea from "Grey Hunter" a valid possibility? Is it possible in the current background?

Er, yes. After all, you've just read it in the current background, haven't you? :)

Mannimarco
16-01-2011, 13:51
Kinnda puts an end to the idea some people have about the Legions dying out because they cant replace any casualties doesnt it.

Idaan
16-01-2011, 15:21
Has anyone ever doubted the continued survival of the Legions? Aside from resurrection and other ways of cheating death, there was a story about how they recruit from non-Imperial feralworlders right in the previous Chaos codex.

ODINM4
16-01-2011, 18:03
Has anyone ever doubted the continued survival of the Legions? Aside from resurrection and other ways of cheating death, there was a story about how they recruit from non-Imperial feralworlders right in the previous Chaos codex.

yes ive read it before they talk about the 4 winds /4 gods of chaos they are fighting some other tribe and then get picked up by a dark chaplain guy was in a white dwarf i think read it a long time ago

ashc
16-01-2011, 18:07
I've always liked the idea that you could seal up and rebind a damaged suit of thousand son armour with the soul of a thousand son legionnaire; easier than casting new mini-rubrics ;)

Bonzai
17-01-2011, 15:12
Would make sense in a way... The non-psyker 1k Sons are all trapped by the Rubic, and can probably be re-sealed into repaired suits. The Sorcerors are Psykers, and therefore capable of retaining a bit of themselves in the warp. If they can re-incarnate or possess a new host, then they can be given new gene seed and pick up where they left off.

It would also answer why in the 10,000 years since the Heresy, they haven't seemed to have built back up some normal marines. That, and without the psychic training, they wouldn't be able to contain the mutation inherant in their gene seed and quickly turn to spawn.

craggles
19-01-2011, 22:09
Does that apply to just the basic thousnad sons marines as they are just dust, or can the scorcerors also get reserrected if they die, as i think they are flesh and blood?

LexxBomb
19-01-2011, 22:52
in theory any being with a soul.

The Red Pilgrim
19-01-2011, 23:50
is this idea from "Grey Hunter" a valid possibility? Is it possible in the current background?

There really is no reason not to consider Black Library novels as canon. Not unless the content directly contradicts the established fluff anyways. Which doesn't happen as often as the hyperbolic rants of this forum claim.

The Horus Heresy novels for instance, aside from one, are great reads - and follow the story and established fluff, but expand upon it.

Vaulkhar
20-01-2011, 01:00
Well, except for that little bit in A Thousand Sons where the Emperor ends the Council of Nikaea by slapping a cease-and-desist on all Astartes psionics rather than just the more excessive parts of the Thousand Sons' practices...

Mit Gas
20-01-2011, 01:36
From what I understand the Rubric Marines' souls can be summoned back into a new set of armor if their old armor was destroyed. The sorcerers however usually stay dead if they're killed.

Bonzai
20-01-2011, 17:47
Well, except for that little bit in A Thousand Sons where the Emperor ends the Council of Nikaea by slapping a cease-and-desist on all Astartes psionics rather than just the more excessive parts of the Thousand Sons' practices...

I think the whole Psyker resurgance will be explained latter in the series. The only thing that can come close to logically explaining his decision, is that the Emperor was putting all his cards on his secret web way project. If he could eliminate the need for warp travel, he could eliminate the need for psykers. All of humanity would be connected, and controlled. Once that happened, he could continue to weaken chaos and the warp. I think he was kind of counting his chickens before they hatched, went ahead and issued this heavy handed decree, and rushed back to Terra so that he could finish his project.

Otherwise it makes no sense. People would continue to be born psychic, and an untrained mind is far more dangerous than a trained and disciplined one. The Librarium program at least addressed the issue, weeded out the weak, and also became a potent weapon against the warp.

I suppose that once the webway project was lost, there really was no point left to the ban. Besides Magnus was the biggest threat, and he was forced to jump ship anyway.

Knight_Yellow
25-01-2011, 23:09
Well spoilers obviously...

From the "Thousand Sons" novel it is mentioned that Magnus sent some of the legion out from prospero so that at least some of the legion would survive the Wolves.

A member of another forum (Relic) asked the author about the Dawn of War (1 and 2) SM chapter the "Blood Ravens" since during one of the prophecy/nightmare/dream sequences in the book a Raven of Blood is mentioned (or something to that effect).

The Author directly mentioned the part where Magnus sends out some of the legion to live on and then heavily implied that the Blood Ravens are something to do with that.

The BR's have a large proportion of Librarians compared to other chapters but the fluff from DoW1 and DoW2 indicates that its not due to their geneseed but rather their chapters recruiting methods (Ie. they select psykers as recruits pro actively).

It should also be noted that the games contain fluff that the Blood Ravens are not especially liked by other Marine chapters, the Space Wolves sent back a gift intended for Ragnar Blackmane and the Imperial fists likewise turned something down from the chapter.

It seems that GW are trying to hint that the Blood Ravens are in some way a still loyal Thousand Sons chapter despite the extreme fluff additions that this would require.

Like how a few "traitors" managed to create a loyal Marine chapter without either anybody noticing or indeed getting the go ahead from the IoM.