PDA

View Full Version : An Abomination in the Woods

Malorian
16-01-2011, 19:48
An Abomination in the Woods

The forest was a beautiful place for Treehugger Hemphead. As a Wood Elve noble he naturally knew every tree, animal, and shrub in a 50 kilometer radius and he loved nothing more than spending an afternoon relaxing on some moss and eating a few fungus trimming.

Today seemed like it couldn't be better until a waywatcher tapped him on the shoulder.

"Treehugger, there is trouble..."

"Oh don't tell me..." The noble said with a groan. "We're running low on tights again..."

"No sir, even worse!"

"Leafbeard's knitting class was cancelled?"

"No sir, even worse!!!"

Now Treehugger was getting reallin interested, and worried...

"Well spit it out man!"

"It's... it's... an abomination!!!"

"Oh now come on, I know Fungusface is back but I'd hardly call him an abomination."

The waywatcher, desperate to have the noble understand the dire situation, grabbed the noble by the shoulders and shook him. "No no! It's the skaven! They've released a hell pit abomination on the forest!!!"

Treehugger's jaw dropped... "God help us..."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBm5DVqvsZI

KHolbourn
16-01-2011, 21:09
Well done on the win. Though a question... I though that models with random movement like HPA/Spawn didn't allow any charge reactions so your archers would have had to stand and be ripped apart?

Malorian
16-01-2011, 21:23
It says in the skaven book that you get a reaction.

senorcardgage
16-01-2011, 21:45
Yeah, turns out that was errata'd

kurisawa
16-01-2011, 22:46
Ok. I watched it without sound (at work) and I think I got most of it.

Well done on the victory; it looked like you were getting smashed! :)

The abomination looks like an awesome model when it is painted, and I see you got the new watchtower piece. That looks fun to paint too (I just got the normal tower from the fortress set).

Keep running like a pansy, and keep those tights... tight... :)

K.

w3rm
17-01-2011, 17:26
Nice report, I thought you were screwed.

TsukeFox
17-01-2011, 19:09
Check the wood elf FAQ too, the forest has to be deployed in the elf deployment zone.

Malorian
17-01-2011, 22:11
Check the wood elf FAQ too, the forest has to be deployed in the elf deployment zone.

Really? They changed that too?

Guess it's to stop any watchtower sillyness.

Wouldn't have really mattered in this game though.

ftayl5
19-01-2011, 10:43
Good report, honestly didn't see the Wood Elves winning.
And a very funny little write up there. "Leafbeard's Knitting class was cancelled?":p

Awilla the Hun
20-01-2011, 09:38
Very well played by the Wood Elves. This actually makes them look pretty scary in the hands of a good player; you just can't get to grips with them!

Malorian
20-01-2011, 13:51
In 8th they really have potential as now skirmishers can march and shoot, but the problem is that you can't have mroe skirmishing glade guard than ranked, and they cost 5 more points a model! At that point you might as well just go with the glade riders.

My army needs a lot of work to be 8th ready, but if a trade goes through this weekend they will be pretty much there :D

Xzazzarai
20-01-2011, 17:47
Try a unit of 6 treekins in 3x2 formation. Amazingly strong.

Malorian
20-01-2011, 18:36
I thought about them but they also are extremely expensive (in money in points) and so I think in the end my goal will be to avoid combat altogether.

Still haven't worked out how I would take a watchtower with that tactic though I must admit...

Noght
21-01-2011, 04:24
Why not a unit of Wardancers for the Watchtower? Combat is only 10 models vs 10 models, no rank bonuses so pure "killiness" wins....I would think a unit of 10 Wardancers with a Bladesinger (for challenges) to preserve models throwing out 31 WS 6 Attacks or 21 Killing Blow attacks might win a combat or two....

Noght

Malorian
21-01-2011, 18:30
I was thinking dryads, but I've have to see.

Geep
21-01-2011, 18:39
I would suggest the Dryads, as you may be the defender of the watchtower as well. Dryads are a core unit, so can start in the tower, and they're both tough and relatively hard hitting.

More directly relating to your battle report- How experienced was your opponent? Although you did a good job at 'keep away' tactics some of his moves really seemed to help you as well. He barely tried to hem you in.

Malorian
21-01-2011, 20:43
I would suggest the Dryads, as you may be the defender of the watchtower as well. Dryads are a core unit, so can start in the tower, and they're both tough and relatively hard hitting.

More directly relating to your battle report- How experienced was your opponent? Although you did a good job at 'keep away' tactics some of his moves really seemed to help you as well. He barely tried to hem you in.

You know what... I honestly never thought about starting dryads in a watchtower... don't know why...

That's a great idea and I'm sure I'll have a unit of 20 in every list :D

He is rather new, but really there was little he could do.

I out deployed him by placing my mobile stuff first and then once his blocks were already placed I had a rather easy time.

russellmoo
21-01-2011, 22:31
I also think the points value helped the wood elves out, unless you were playing on a smaller table- but on an 8' by 4' or 6' by 4' table- it is much easier to avoid combat at smaller point values, versus a larger points value where a skaven player can span the length of the table-

Still- good job Mal a lower tier army beat an upper tier army-

sknich
22-01-2011, 04:16
I also think the points value helped the wood elves out, unless you were playing on a smaller table- but on an 8' by 4' or 6' by 4' table- it is much easier to avoid combat at smaller point values, versus a larger points value where a skaven player can span the length of the table

Thats what I was thinking. My army pretty much spans the table every game i play, which are usually around 2500 points. Not to say that was the reason you won by any stretch, but as a skaven player im never confident without 4-5 blocks (clanrats, slaves, stormvermin, plague monks). Then I add in the fun stuff (doomwheel, HPA, Rat Ogres).

TheSanityAssassin
22-01-2011, 15:59
Wood Elves can still be scary if their player really knows what to do with them....they just have to play a VERY different game.

One of our locals still crushes everyone with his WE's. Well...he crushes everyone with EVERYTHING most of the time. Being a 3 time GT champ will do that I guess.

SevenSins
31-01-2011, 22:29
finally had the time to watch this, good stuff as usual, Mal and a victory for the treehugging cowards as well, well played.

Looking forward to when your brother gets more numbers on his side, that ought to help a bit (as well as experience of course)

zork rumpscratcha
03-02-2011, 19:36
I liked the chance to see you using very different tactics than your o&g to good effect. I would want dryads in the tower too. Vampires like to throw ethereals against the tower or in it. I think dryads have magical attacks or do I have them mixed up with treekin?

Malorian
03-02-2011, 20:35
All tree spirits have magical attacks. They make wraiths wet themselves ;)