PDA

View Full Version : Magic Weapons Revisited

H33D
16-01-2011, 21:03
Okay, so I am aware that GW has come out with a new FAQ. One of their FAQ points was specifically about magic weapons, and when you receive their bonuses.

"Q: When does a weapon that gives a bonus to a characteristic give
that bonus?(p4)
A: Most weapons, including magic weapons, state when the
bonus is given. For example, a model with the Fencerís
Blades will always have Weapon Skill 10 whilst a model with
a great weapon will only have +2 Strength when striking an
enemy in close combat. When a weapon does not say when
the characteristic bonus applies, then it only applies when
striking, or being struck, in close combat."

I am going to pick this apart so bear with me.

"Most weapons, including magic weapons, state when the bonus is given. For example, a model with the Fencer's Blades will always have Weapon Skill 10..."

So right off the bat this answer confuses me. The wording of Fencer's Blades is:

"Paired weapons. The bearer has Weapon Skill 10."

Now let me just state at this point, that any model having a higher than normal Weapon Skill outside of close combat does not bother me in any way. I am just very curious at what part of this sentence Games Workshop started to believe that Fencer's Blades gave Weapon Skill 10 all of the time. The FAQ continues:

"...whilst a model with
a great weapon will only have +2 Strength when striking an
enemy in close combat."

Okay, now we have two weapons that both give a simple bonus. For one weapon, the bearer has WS10, and for the other the bearer gets +2 strength. Why on earth does one weapon's affect work all of the time, and the other one only in close combat? The FAQ continues:

"When a weapon does not say when
the characteristic bonus applies, then it only applies when
striking, or being struck, in close combat."

The problem with this last statement that is intended to help us figure out other special and magic weapon for ourselves, is that the preceding example violates the rule given in it. Fencer's Blades nowhere state that it works all of the time. It just says that the bearer has WS10.

So is the new exception that blanket statements such as 'the bearer has (stat)(value)' always work at every point in the game, but other rules such as 'the bearer gets +(value) (stat)' only work in close combat unless stated otherwise?

The example GW gave is very unclear :(

Archangelion
16-01-2011, 21:24
I agree with you. That is odd.

But I wonder if it shouldn't be the other way around. That if a weapon doesn't state that its effect takes place at a specific point, then it always applies, and that if a weapon states that its effect takes place at a specific point, then it only applies at the specified point.

Just another GW blunder I guess.

Palatine Katinka
16-01-2011, 21:24
This is an example of why I don't always trust the 'FAQ' sections of Updates. I fully expect this to be greatly reworded next month.

How I think they should fix this mess;
1) Don't lump magic and normal together. I'm pretty sure they can get away with saying all non-magic weapons only apply in combat.
2) For magic weapons say the bonus applies at all times unless otherwise stated. Most strength bonus weapons state that they affect 'close combat attacks' specifically while other stats are usuallly just "model has x [stat]".

Now going to go look at some army books for weapons messed up by this...

Masque
16-01-2011, 21:27
I agree with all of the above.

Palatine Katinka
16-01-2011, 21:36
So far only found Martog' Best Basha for the Orcs and Goblins, Initiative bonus now only when fighting. Same might apply to Runic weapons with Initiative bonuses but I don't have the Dwarf book to hand to check.

senoja
16-01-2011, 21:39
well fencers blades state the model HAS ws 10 same as a model has +1 attack from sword of striking its an absolute statement there is no other option if it simply has the effect (note most armour also uses the word "has") for the matter of the great sword then read page 89 brb under the heading strenth, it referes only to attacks made with the weapon and is a description of the statistic of the weapon therefore weapon itself does not require a mention of when the bonus is applied.

simply put the faq is their solely for the purposes of older army books where such things might not b clear

plus it rele does make sense for weapons to only apply bonuses in close combat unles otherwise stated a runic weapon that increases I is going to make the dwarf capable of striking quicker not turn him into an acrobat