PDA

View Full Version : 2000 pt Goblin Army

tank_santa
16-01-2011, 23:14
Hey all,

I am looking at building a decent core for new 8th edition that I can later expand on. So I have put a 2000 pt list together and I was looking for some feedback and suggestions. Obviously with the new Orc & Goblin army book on the way I would like to say some of this could change.

Orcs & Goblins Army List

UNIT DECRIPTION PTS

LORD: Skarsnik & Gobbla 205 pts
In Night Goblin unit A

HERO: Night Goblin Shaman (Lvl. 2) 135 pts
Staff of Sneaky Stealin

HERO: Night Goblin Shaman (Lvl. 1) 70 pts
Magic Mushrooms x2

CORE: Night Goblins A (44 men/10x5) 281 pts
Champion/Musician/Standard
Spears/Shields/Netters/2 Fanatics

CORE: Night Goblins B (40 men/10x4) 265 pts

CORE: Night Goblins C (40 men/10x4) 265 pts

CORE: Forest Goblin Spider Riders (30 men/10x3) 436 pts
Spears/Shields/Short Bows

RARE: River Trolls (6 men/3x2) 360 pts

Total: 1997 pts

immortal git
17-01-2011, 00:04
drop the river trolls, make them normal trolls, drop both your level twos for a level 4, use points from the trolls to pay for a bsb as you will need it.

Stuffburger
17-01-2011, 01:47
With our new book looming I can't promise this advice will stay valid, but as it stands now it needs some changes to be more competitive.

-Spears on night goblins are worse than just hand weapons in just about every circumstance, and they cost more. The Skull pass guys you probably have can be converted to hand weapons without too much fuss. There are lots of examples in our project log section, mine included (in sig).
-That spider unit will look killer but I don't think it'll ever be all that useful. It'll be too big to maneuver into flanks and spider riders are really expensive for how poor they are in combat. This unit will bounce off of infantry blocks half it's price. I'd split this down into one unit of 15, to go after flanks, and one or two units of 5 to run around, threaten warmachines, run down fleeing units and annoy stuff with shortbows.
-Goblins are really hard pressed to take down big scary stuff with no warmachines. We've got some of the cheapest ones around- I rarely leave home without at least a couple.
-Fanatics are less useful than in 7th edition. I'd get rid of some and concentrate the rest in the unit you place across from your opponents most expensive stuff.
-We can get a NG bigboss with a great weapon for a paltry 32 points. They can add a little high strength kick to a goblin unit and a lot of people basically use them instead of champions.
-Goblin chariots are great, fast and cheap. Adding d6 impact hits and the +1 combat res from flanking will help your poor outmatched goblins win a fight.

tank_santa
17-01-2011, 01:59
Won't the spears give me 3 ranks worth of attacks in a hoarde formation? Isn't that their advantage?

I am looking at your suggestions and I will see what I can do. I had the Battle Standard in there before, and I also agree he should be in there.

djpringle
17-01-2011, 05:03
Spears will give you 4 attacking ranks in horde formation. The main issue is that you will be spending lots of points just to get between 5 to 10 extra attacks depending on the opposing units frontage. Since gobbos aren't the greatest fighters in the world it would better to spend the points on bosses with great weapons.

If you are using BFSP goblins just pretend they have hand weapons instead :)

tank_santa
18-01-2011, 01:12
Here is the first changes. I will still be changing other items as well but for now I have tried to take into account the suggestions and points made earlier. I also meant to say that I actually have no Skull Pass models at all.

Orcs & Goblins Army List

UNIT DECRIPTION PTS

(Goblin unit A)

LORD: Night Goblin Great Shaman (Lvl. 4) 235 pts
Staff of Sneaky Stealin

HERO: Night Goblin Big Boss Battle Standard 105 pts
Wailing Banner (Goblin Unit B)

CORE: Night Goblins A (44/10x5) 229 pts
Musician/Standard
Shields/Netters/2 Fanatics

CORE: Night Goblins B (39/10x4) 214 pts
Musician/Standard

CORE: Night Goblins C (40/10x4) 217 pts
Musician/Standard

CORE: Forest Goblin Spider Riders (30/10x3) 436 pts

RARE: River Trolls (6/3x2) 360 pts

Total: 2001 pts

Yowzo
18-01-2011, 13:42
Spears will give you 4 attacking ranks in horde formation. The main issue is that you will be spending lots of points just to get between 5 to 10 extra attacks depending on the opposing units frontage. Since gobbos aren't the greatest fighters in the world it would better to spend the points on bosses with great weapons.

Plus you lose the 6+ ward save from the shields and as a gobbo you'll receive lots of wounds every round of combat, so it will save you one or two gobbos per turn.

I would only equip spears if the unit is taking the poisoned attacks banner.

Algovil
18-01-2011, 19:16
Hordes are fun but three hordes will not help you!! You need deep units with many ranks for steadfast when using goblins, otherwise they will get runned down. You could make one unit horde with maybe 50-60 models, rather the latter, and if you have the models 2 units 5 front maybe 7-8 ranks for maximum staying power. I never played with O&G but this is what I've learned by reading here, and from my experience with other armies steadfast makes and breaks cheap, weak, infantery units.

I also agree that the spiderunit is to big, to wide, it seems like you really like hordes! ;) nothing wrong but IMHO you can overdo it as well :) 2 units 5 each would work better I think. Then you save some points as well which I would use on warmachines. Maybe split trolls in two units, I do not know, or drop half for chariots or something else!

You really need a BSB, can not stress this enough, vital for this kind of army for rerolls!!!

tank_santa
18-01-2011, 21:56
Well its a work in progress. I own 20 spider riders at the moment, and I just thought it would be neat to have a cavalry unit big enough to count as a hoarde. Totally for fun I might add. Also note every time I think Goblins I think a ton of them.

My next step is to lose the Trolls for now and look at making the infantry units bigger with deeper ranks as my read through the rules again today revealed the weakness of steadfast you pointed out. I will post a further revised list shortly. Thanks for the help all, its getting me to do some quick learning.

tank_santa
18-01-2011, 23:52
Orcs & Goblins Army List

UNIT DECRIPTION PTS

(Goblin unit A)

LORD: Night Goblin Great Shaman (Lvl. 4) 245 pts
Staff of Sneaky Stealin, Magic Mushroom

HERO: Night Goblin Big Boss Battle Standard 60 pts
Battle Standard/Scarecrow Banner

CORE: Night Goblins A (54/10x6) 259 pts
Musician/Standard

CORE: Night Goblins B (59/10x6) 274 pts
Musician/Standard

CORE: Night Goblins C (60/10x6) 277 pts
Musician/Standard

CORE: Forest Goblin Spider Riders (20/10x2) 296 pts

SPECIAL: Goblin Spear Chukka (x2) 70 pts

SPECIAL: Black Ocs (20/5x4) 313 pts
Lichebone Pennant

Total: 1999 pts

Stuffburger
19-01-2011, 01:22
You probably want those spider riders in a 5x4 formation instead of in 10x2. With only 2 ranks you lose any benefit of the horde, which is the third rank attacking, while 5x4 will give you an extra two ranks, possibly even steadfast while only losing 2 or 4 attacks to the front. It's also more maneuverable.

tank_santa
19-01-2011, 02:03
Oh no worries there, I forgot to change the formation.