PDA

View Full Version : unique units and stomp

senoja
17-01-2011, 00:38
ok so this questions come purely out of interest not from a gaming stand piont cus i dont play OnG but...

i read somewhere that units with mixed unit types (im sure i read it somewhere concerning rat orge units) become unique typed units is this correct ??? if so....

does that also mean that units like squig herds (infantry and warbeasts) become unique units and as in the rules for stomp Unique units are not mentioned as being susceptable to stomp would they become immune to it.....if so...

does the addition of a mounted character to a unit of infantry make the combined unit Unique? and as above unstompable????... also (final question honest...)

if i missed somewhere that unique unit can infact be stomped can a skaven screamin bell be stomped on ....

im sure theres a huge contradiction in there some where???

Masque
17-01-2011, 08:35
First of all, there is nothing saying mixed units count as unique. Keeping in mind the fact the FAQ says stomps are distrubuted like shooting (which I think causes more problems than it solves) here's how I'd handle the situation.

Against a mixed unit distrubute stomps only to the stompable models. I'd probably also only allow the stomp to be made in the first place if the stomper was touching at least one stompable enemy.

DaemonReign
17-01-2011, 16:45
First of all, there is nothing saying mixed units count as unique. Keeping in mind the fact the FAQ says stomps are distrubuted like shooting (which I think causes more problems than it solves) here's how I'd handle the situation.

Against a mixed unit distrubute stomps only to the stompable models. I'd probably also only allow the stomp to be made in the first place if the stomper was touching at least one stompable enemy.

Wouldn't you "discount" the Stomps that end up being randomly directed against targets that cannot be stomped?

AMWOOD co
17-01-2011, 17:16
Hmm... we now get into a tight spot. Stomp, by its wording, hits models in base contact with the stomper.

In the case of a squig unit, I would say if a stomping model is in contact with just one kind of enemy (squigs or goblins) stomp that, otherwise randomize as the squig herd rules say to.

In the case of Rat Ogres, models in contact with at least one pack master (or whatever the handler guys are called) can stomp on them. Models in contact with only Rat Ogres cannot stomp. An alternative would be that models in contact with both must randomize and stomps hitting the Rat Ogres are discounted.

Randomizing as if shooting is for the sake of hitting characters (ie. all models must take a hit before any model may take a second hit, units with 5 rank and file make it impossible to hit characters and champions of the same unit type). In this case, any model that can be stomped must be hit before a model may take a second hit.

Note, this is all simply my interpretation regarding this bizzare occurance.

DeathlessDraich
17-01-2011, 20:33
Amwood - this is one of the reasons I added the question about troop type of mixed units in your thread - many rules affect only a unit of a certain troop type.

isanti13
17-01-2011, 22:30
I thought they made it clear in the FAQ you couldn't stomp mixed units... not entirely sure though.

AMWOOD co
17-01-2011, 23:14
Amwood - this is one of the reasons I added the question about troop type of mixed units in your thread - many rules affect only a unit of a certain troop type.

I see the point. To this I would respond that such a spell/item could be used on such a unit if there was at least one model of the relevant type, but it would only affect the models of that unit type. This is just a quick opinion, however.

Out of curiosity, mind you, what spells were you mentioning? The battle magic spells no longer specify type except for the boost from the Wildheart Attribute and I don't recall any of the spells from my armies (High Elves, Greenskins, Warriors) or Daemons working against specific types, although the Horn of Urgok magic item does. I know about the 13th spell, but it was clarified (I think).