PDA

View Full Version : The Scorpion Armour

ftayl5
17-01-2011, 09:32
Is now useless.
Now that Undead have the 'unstable' rule, which states that all wounds must be allocated to the unit first then any characters, it can't be used to halve the wounds taken by combat resolution any more. I didn't pick up on this, but saw it on a different forum.

Just seen a lot of people still taking it with the intention of doing the above which is illegal and just inform those who don't know.
Also can anyone prove me wrong? If so I'd be very happy as back in 7th it was a very very good item.

RMacDeezy
17-01-2011, 12:32
well, according to the unstable rules, the player allocates wounds to units or mounts first, then remaining wounds to characters. note that it does not say allocate as many wounds as possible to the unit/monster. it just says allocate to the unit first. RAW, this means that i can allocate half the wounds to the unit (as i'm not required to allocate them ALL per the wording of the rule), and the remaining wounds to the character. its a bit of a stretch and very rules-lawyery but the TK already have a book of items that either use outdated rules (icon of rulership)or are priced for 2 editions ago (that is, massively overpriced). the penalty for further nerfing of what few good items they have should be death, as TK have enough problems as it is lol. it may not hold up to the more extreme rules-lawyers but if they insist on not allowing the item a little leeway, you probably don't want to be playing them anyway. and i know you're looking for a rock solid solution, but its just not going to happen, the book is about a decade old.

lethlis
17-01-2011, 12:37
Still protects from people targetting him with their regular attacks as well doesnt it? so still a good item

Trigger87
17-01-2011, 17:03
doesn't the fact the armybook says you can allocate upto half the wounds to the character, followed by the fact that army book trumps rulebook, mean you still can

antihelten
17-01-2011, 17:23
doesn't the fact the armybook says you can allocate upto half the wounds to the character, followed by the fact that army book trumps rulebook, mean you still can

Actually the armybook doesn't say you can allocate up to half of the wounds, but rather that you can't allocate more than half, a small but important difference.

Zetari
17-01-2011, 17:42
Do Like me i also play Tomb kings.
If you have a second army play with that and wait for tomb kings new Codex it comming within 5 months i think it is ;>

theunwantedbeing
17-01-2011, 18:01
The main use now seems to run him around on his own and only ever suffer 1 wound from combat res. Handy with the collar of shapesh to transfer that 1 wound to some nearby model as well.

Not useless by any means, but much less useful than it used to be.

ftayl5
17-01-2011, 21:09
Yes, useless is perhaps a strong word. What I meant was it seems it can no longer perform the role it has been performing for the last __ years.

Spiney Norman
18-01-2011, 09:08
The main use now seems to run him around on his own and only ever suffer 1 wound from combat res. Handy with the collar of shapesh to transfer that 1 wound to some nearby model as well.

Not useless by any means, but much less useful than it used to be.

Read the TK FAQ, the collar cannot be used to transfer wounds caused by combat res, nor has it been able to since late 6th Edition.

In any case, since TK has become something of a comedy army I generally use comedy magic items on my TK, the wizards hat is particularly amusing...

theunwantedbeing
18-01-2011, 09:21
Oh yeah, I was thinking the collar was on page 37 and when I skimmed the FAQ I missed it, as there are no references to page 37 in it.

Also the wording of the collar doesn't exactly make any reference to not getting to use it vs wounds suffered from combat resolution.
Collar of Shapesh
For each wound the bearer suffers......If inflicted in combat, these wounds still count towards combat resolution
Looks like a bad FAQ answer to me.

Still, upto 4 losing rounds unsupported with your Tomb King in scorpion armour isnt that bad. He can have them healed back D3 at a time as well.

jrodrag
18-01-2011, 16:20
Well I have mostly seen it used with the spear that returns wounds for wounds caused. This pretty much keeps him alive forever against weedy units. I often see him with the cloak of the dunes as well so that he can fly over and then use his my will be done on himself to charge what he needs to, though now that he can only fly 10" this is done a little less, but hey 10"is better than 4".