PDA

View Full Version : arch lector or general

tezza21
17-01-2011, 17:14
hey guys should i use a arch lector or a general for my empire army and what weapons and armour shall i give him also he is going to be mounted on a warhorse

Lord Dan
17-01-2011, 17:23
Arch Lector is a much more competetive choice, though for fluff reasons I typically stick with a general. Tell us about the rest of your army?

Torpedo Vegas
17-01-2011, 17:28
As a rule, a General is the worst choice to be your army's general. The Arch Lectore is much better by virtue of having Prayers, contributing Dispell dice, and giving any unit he joins Hatred, as well as having access to the War Altar.

If you don't like the fluff behind him, I suggest a Templar Grand Master. Very good stats for a human, Immune to Psychology, and he really gives units of knights a solid boost by joining them.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 17:29
I have just started lol he is the first mini for the empire i have.But i am going to be using more hand gunners and cannons than crossbows and a few knights with maybe some great swords ? any thoughts

w3rm
17-01-2011, 17:31
I thought you were doing Greenskins!

And Lector is the way to go.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 17:32
i hit a mile stone with the green skins there was so damn many to paint and my brain melted lol

Mcbruce
17-01-2011, 17:40
The main reasons for taking an empire general are cost and access to a magic banner for one unit of troops, now if your only going to be using ranged state troops then the need for a magic banner is diminished so the remaining consideration is cost - how big is your army? Plus if your going to put him with the cavalry then why not a grandmaster for the psych immunity? But if regular opponents go magic heavy then the arch lector may be the better option

Korraz
17-01-2011, 17:41
The answer is simple.
"Both."

First: A general on horse isn't that good an idea. A lector in a unit of knights could do, but that job is cheaper done by a sigmar priest.

If your Lector rides on the Pompe Mobile (which is a combination of Pope and Pimp, Believe It Or Not), your LD rides with him. So, while your AL rides of to whack some vile scoundrels, your general general sits back in his bunker and caresses his Standard of Discipline.

If it has to be on horse...without knowing your army...Lector.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 17:43
The main prob is most of the guys who do fantasy at my local gw play woc so i thought to go for a ranged core that has armour piercing. I'm going to take this army to 2.5k size and i know 2 of the guys use alot of magic with there woc armies

Torpedo Vegas
17-01-2011, 17:57
Empire can do anti magic pretty well. Fielding 2 WPs and an arch lector (I do this basically every 2.5k game or higher) gives you +4 Dispel dice, which can really shut down magic if your opponent rolls poorly, or gets an average roll.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 17:59
How do u guys equip a arch lector i have no clue but i like the mace of helstrom

Morkash
17-01-2011, 18:15
Don' we have a Empire Tactica thread? Is it necessary to start at least one thread per day with Empire questions instead of taking a look there?

Torpedo Vegas
17-01-2011, 18:20
IMO, the Arch Lector doesn't exist to be killy, he is there to buff, so I equip him for longevity. AoMI, maybe heavy armor and an enhcanted shield, dawn armor,a talisman to give him a ward save (unless he is mounted on a WAltar), the Speculum is almost a must to ensure he survives challenges, as he is an even match for a run of the mill Khornate Chaos Warrior, which isn't to impressive. The Hammer of Judgment is a solid and cheap choice for weapons.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 18:32
Are you able to give him the hammer and a shield is it not a great weapon ?

Leogun_91
17-01-2011, 18:57
I second Korraz, both is the way to go. The general is the weakest lord choice but he is priced accordingly. The detachment system also makes sure that either one can confer his leadership to three units (one parent unit and two detatchments) when they aren't the army general, it's great for the times you need to have something out of the bubble.

feeder
17-01-2011, 20:02
What Leogun and Korraz said. Why choose when both are so lovely?

Keller
17-01-2011, 20:29
While he's probably the worst choice for competetive gaming, I've always preferred the Elector Count/General. Cheap, effective enough, and provides that all important Ld boost to my army. No need to tool him up with magical goodies; that money is better spent on more soldiers!

I've always played my army counting on solid blocks of infantry, with detachments, supported by heavy firepower to thin ranks until combat is joined.

Though, admittedly, I haven't had much oppertunity to play in some time, managing only 1 game since 8th Ed as of this writing. Still, I like the idea of cheap officers keeping the troops in line to do their jobs.

tezza21
17-01-2011, 21:01
Nice way to put it with the keep it simple rule

decker_cky
17-01-2011, 21:39
Flaming crossbows or armour piercing halberdiers are the two big reasons to consider a general of the empire. If you were going to take a captain on pegasus anyways, I'd consider making that a general of the empire instead for that magic banner.

Jim
17-01-2011, 23:33
I'd say the Arch Lector is the better choice because:
1) Generates extra dispel dice helping you dominate this phase of the game
2) Stick him on the War Altar which gives him a decent ward save, extends his leadership to 18", gives him some impact hits and a Light magic spell - extremely good value!
3) If on foot he will also help 'buff' his unit by giving them Hatred
4) Has prayers which can be very useful - in particular the Unbreakable one

In terms of equipment I would go for (on foot) Van Horstmans Speculum, Hammer of Judgement and maybe Armour of Meteoric Iron... If you get into contact with an enemy character then he is probably going to get smashed in a challenge with your Lector or hide at the back of the unit if he refuses the challenge where he can't hurt your squishy state troopers - either way its all good! In the last game I played my Lector took down a Treeman Ancient in one round of combat with this set up (admittedly help by the Flaming Sword of Rhuin cast by by Wizard).

Hope this helps but you really should check out the Empire Tactica... lots of thoughts already there that will help you.

Jim

sindrix
21-01-2011, 05:19
arch lectors are the way to go i switched over from high rlves and try to play them the exact opposite and it works out really nice using warrior preists, and arch lectors.

their's a lot of ways to deck them out personally i love the look on a guys face when he finds out that the challenge he issued with death master snitch was accepted by a lector with Van Horstmann's speculum and shield of the Gorgon and a holy relic, thats right that mack daddy assassin only gets 1 attack, just makes my day

long story short if you have the points take both but the lector with all his extras is a bargain and should be taken above the general

tezza21
21-01-2011, 10:32
Nice is it worth me giving him the mace of helstrom ?

freddieyu
21-01-2011, 11:18
The arch lector has more uses, but if you want to get a magic banner for your state troops then you need to field an empire general as your general....

The best thing with the empire is you can actually field multiple cheap lords..I have a build where I have both an arch lector and an empire general...there problem solved....

Agoz
21-01-2011, 18:42
I don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but being able to put a magic banner on a state troop unit can be kind of useful, just putting that out there...

tezza21
21-01-2011, 20:08
I have also bought a extra empire general box so i made a general of the empire with a sword handy if i want to give him a rune fang as they are sweet

electors champion
22-01-2011, 03:23
i dont think buying a general for the main purpose of buying an additional banner is worth it as opposed to the arch lectors multiple awesome benefits. but im tired and cant be bothered thinking too much and explaining why i think this.

Agoz
22-01-2011, 03:31
i dont think buying a general for the main purpose of buying an additional banner is worth it as opposed to the arch lectors multiple awesome benefits. but im tired and cant be bothered thinking too much and explaining why i think this.

well, its not just an extra banner, it is in fact the only way in the army to get a magical banner on any infantry units at all. Even greatswords as I remember don't have the option. Now granted, the empire banners aren't all that great, but there are the common banners to think about, the armor piercing banner, and flaming attacks banners especially!

electors champion
26-01-2011, 23:23
true but its one banner for the worst lord the empire can buy. the points could be better spent in my opinion

Harwammer
27-01-2011, 13:24
He's just as tough, just as good a leader and can be Ld10 on foot thanks to his banner. As a leader of an army the choice is just as good as the others (but cheaper).

cool-kid-on-the-block
27-01-2011, 14:56
you can field a decent wissard lord, lector and general in 2.5k getting all the lovely benefits.

Lord Solar Plexus
27-01-2011, 15:06
Did anyone mention the ability to take a banner yet?

Keller
27-01-2011, 17:02
Did anyone mention the ability to take a banner yet?

Hmm, no, I don't think so...

Lord Solar Plexus
28-01-2011, 08:46
Well then, quick, someone should! :)

Skyros
28-01-2011, 18:12
You can take both. Empire has cheap lords so you can take multiple of them.

If you are only going to take one, I'd recommend the AL.

The general only lets one unit of state troops take a magic banner - and the empire magic banner options are atrociously bad. If he made a unit of greatswords core or something, that might be nice. As it is, I think he's must used to give the fire banner to ranged units or the razor banner to halberdier hordes.

the AL is more expensive, significantly moreso if you mount him on an altar (which you should, as it extends his leadership radius). The AL has terrible fighting stats and isn't going to kill anything, so focus on making him survivable by giving him the AOMI. On the war altar this gives you an unbreakable unit with 1+ AS and 4+ ward save. Can be used to tarpit some enemy units.

The exception to the AL not killing anything is if you give him the VHS, challenge enemy characters, and then swap stats with them. The AL's stats are so bad that you are likely to not take any damage from your opponent ( barring a super weapon of some kind) and you may even kill the enemy!