PDA

View Full Version : The Adeptus Mechanicus Project: Episode II

The Hoff
20-03-2006, 08:23
Hi everybody,

After a very long period of silence (and focus on other projects), I am finally shaking off my torpor and starting work on the Adeptus Mechanicus again.

Drawing inspiration from a number of recent projects I have seen here and abroad, including the work of Mato Noupa and Boltman (from Bolter and Chainsword), I decided to start work on a heavy support choice.

While I realise that this amounts to jumping on the bandwagon:rolleyes: , its a great idea and I have made my own tweaks to the design.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8679/knight6dj.jpg

A quick rundown of construction,

The head and upper are scratchbuilt from a variety of plasticard and rod. The engine grills are from a photoetch set for a 1/35 Tiger tank. The engine underneath comes from the landraider interior.

I dont think I need to tell anyone where the legs can be obtained :D .

Still to do: The landraider exhaust will fit into the back section (once I win lotto and can fork out $90 for a kit that will effectivly become useless).

The guns of course! This will proxy as a Russ for the time being, so a battlecannon and 3x heavy bolters are the order of the day. Both are in progress.

Crits and advice welcome as always,

Sing praise to the God of all Machines!

The Dragon Reborn
20-03-2006, 08:29
very very nice!, does this mean you are going to finish the army? if so I have been waiting for this day a loooong time!

cant wait to see more

TomKamakazi
20-03-2006, 08:29
Holly Crap!!!

You don't mess about when it comes time to take out the scalpel and the needle files do you? That is without a doubt the best Knight I have seen. Very nice concept for the head.

Are you planning to tie the coulour scheme in to the rest of your mechanicus force. or does this bare it's titan company colours only?

EDIT:
What are the ideas for the weapons? A rack of 3 heavy bolters for one arm and a battle cannon for the other perhaps?

The Hoff
20-03-2006, 08:34
Are you planning to tie the coulour scheme in to the rest of your mechanicus force. or does this bare it's titan company colours only?

Thats a good question,

I think all the vehicles will receive similar treatment. I chose the Shadow grey because I thought red would be too garish (and too Chaos like), and catachan green doesn't really suit the Adeptus Mechanicus.

I have tried to represent a machine on a protracted campaign, so it parade ground heraldric colours have been painted over in a more pragmatic camoflage scheme. Notice the large amounts of rust and grime that suggest it has been in the field for some time!

TomKamakazi
20-03-2006, 08:40
I have tried to represent a machine on a protracted campaign, so it parade ground heraldric colours have been painted over in a more pragmatic camoflage scheme. Notice the large amounts of rust and grime that suggest it has been in the field for some time!

I did notice, and I very much like it. It's a good colour. You're right red would be too garish accross the whole model. The hereldric shield on it's leg might do well as a bit of a tie in too.

If you're not keen on buying a whole land raider, you could look into a bunch of ork big shootas for exhaust. The Warbuggie model has lots of little enginey bits you could stick there too, and I think they're only about AUD$30.

Rabid Bunny 666
20-03-2006, 08:48
The Hoff returns!

awesome work there dude, that thing rocks

ZAChos
20-03-2006, 08:57
or get a f/w heresy raider that has an extra exhaust stack made of resin.

by the way,

HOLY MOLY!!!

sheep
20-03-2006, 09:04
Very nice, as i said the other day.

I love all the detail in the torso section, and the head is spectacular as well.
You've just convinced me to do more work on my "finished" Knight before posting pictures.

I'll take it out of your hide in DOD later.

Cheers

Sheep

malika
20-03-2006, 10:04
That's one hell of a way to make a come back! I suggest you make the weapons similar to Mato Noupa's knight!!! Hey you joined the ASP board right? You chould perhaps post those pics there too, it would be great to have some cool modelling stuff showed off there!

major_panic
20-03-2006, 10:15
Welcome back, brother Hoff! And may I say, amazing work as always!

Could I suggest a banner or hanging flag of some sort bearing your AM army's colours? Although if the camouflage is central, then the shield will probably do...

The boyz
20-03-2006, 10:22
Wow that thing is awesome Hoff, brilliant truly brilliant. I love the shape and design of the head. Brilliant paint job aswell.

baneful
20-03-2006, 10:22
yeah i feel it needs a banner mate, other then that it is amazing.

Still up for a challange at g'con? or do you wanna have a battle after the 1st day is over?

frod
20-03-2006, 10:28
That's truly awesome especially the head, as far as the exhausts go all you need to replicate the landraider ehausts are a couple of lengths of either metal or plastic tube a bit of plastc card and a drill, much cheaper than buying a whole kit

The Hoff
20-03-2006, 10:31
Yes, a banner is a good idea:)

Ill need to order some FW fine scale chain to hang it from, but I have been meaning to get some of that stuff for ages. The large banner from the SM command squad box would fit rather nicely between the legs.

Ill also go over my plans for completion of this army.

My eyes recently fell on the new Vostroyans coming out soon, and this has changed my plans somewhat. I have pre-ordered two platoons of these guys, so they will form the bulk of my infantry with minimal conversion. These are the Tech Guard regulars.

The Command squad will still be similar in fashion to my original Ad.Mech troopers, with the appropriate bling.

The original converted models will be put aside, and I will begin work on an improved converted troop type to represent the Skitarii, which will be represented by hardened veterans and Grenadiers on the tabletop. In this way I will not have to produce such large numbers as in my original plan.

One Enginseer with maxed combat servitors and another with maxed gun servitors will fiull the remaining elites choices.

The Knight (Leman Russ) will be joined by a pair of more conventional Basilisks.

So doctrines so far are:

Carapace armour
Enginseers
Grenadiers
Hardened veterans.....and something else.

This adjustment came about both becuase it will be easier to achive, and becuase I fell in love (in a totally plutonic, non sexual way;) ) with the Vostroyans as soon as I saw them.

Darkseer
20-03-2006, 10:32
Rejoice brothers!

The second coming of Hoff is at hand.

malika
20-03-2006, 10:35
How are you going to model the Vostroyans? Are the Praetorians still going to be included in your army?

The Hoff
20-03-2006, 11:09
The Vostroyans will be largely unaltered. I considered the possibility of cutting (/carving/hacking/tearing) their hads off and sculpting hoods on them, but metal minis do not facilitate such conversion.

Praetorians will not make it intoo the revised list, unless I represent them somehow in a command squad or Inquisitorial retinue. Ill give it some thought, in any event my original design for the Praetorian was never entirely satifactory, and difficult to produce as well.

tagsta
20-03-2006, 12:02
oh my god! the knight is so awesome!!! how did you do the carapace/toes ? do you have WIP shots?

sheep
20-03-2006, 12:03
I would suggest Special weapons squads, hard hitting and small, and allowing for great conversion ops.

Cheers

Sheep

Wulf
20-03-2006, 12:10
Great news indeed with you being back on track!

I, and everyone else :), was following your latest thread with alot of interest.

The Knight is fantastic! The best version of the Defiler-based walker that I've seen so far. The bird head gives it a ton of character. How are you planing on ditribute the weapons?

I can totaly understand you going for Vostroyans to cut down the necessary workload on you basic troopers. However I think you should really consider giving them hoods as you mentioned. The Vostroyans do look great as they are but they will be used quite frequently as quite many people have fallen in love with them. And with all the work you've put into this project it would diminish the impact of the army somewhat if the bulk of the force are out of the box miniatures. I realise that it demands some work but with only modifying the heads instead of scratch building entire models you've saved yourselves alot of work already. :) And working with metal isn't that demanding as long as you only do headswops and alterations and not try to alter the pose of the mini or something more involved lite that.

Good job! Keep it up! I simply love it!

/Wulf

major_panic
20-03-2006, 12:37
Yes, a banner is a good idea:)

My eyes recently fell on the new Vostroyans coming out soon, and this has changed my plans somewhat. I have pre-ordered two platoons of these guys, so they will form the bulk of my infantry with minimal conversion. These are the Tech Guard regulars.

The Command squad will still be similar in fashion to my original Ad.Mech troopers, with the appropriate bling.

The original converted models will be put aside, and I will begin work on an improved converted troop type to represent the Skitarii, which will be represented by hardened veterans and Grenadiers on the tabletop. In this way I will not have to produce such large numbers as in my original plan.

:eek: I can't believe you want to do away with the original models!

Could I suggest using them as a different platoon or something? Cause IMO they really are awesome...

Although, of course, the Vostroyans are pretty nice too... I can see why you've gone for them.

Killshot
20-03-2006, 12:51
I don't care if it jumping the bandwagon or not, it is sweet!

crandall87
20-03-2006, 13:59
The titans head is just quality. I wish I could scratch build like that.

TomKamakazi
20-03-2006, 14:21
The Vostroyans will be largely unaltered. I considered the possibility of cutting (/carving/hacking/tearing) their hads off and sculpting hoods on them, but metal minis do not facilitate such conversion.

A Dremel (http://www.dremel.com/)facilitates that sort of conversion work just fine. I don't know how you feel about power tools, but it's a godamn handy piece of kit to have for modeling and for just about anything else.

Mato Noupa
20-03-2006, 14:26
Dude! It took some time for my jaw to return to its orignial position. :eek:

What a comeback! I'm honored to be mentioned :D as your last thread was the reason for me to proceed with my project. :p
But you've managed to produce a painted Knight in the same time I dwindle along constructing one. Awesome!

The falcons head is amazing. I LOVE IT! This gives the machine so much personality.
The whole design of the upper body reminds me more of the new Warhound Titan than the Knight Paladins of old but that's no criticism only a matter of old vs new design. Gosh! You've got any WIP pictures of that beauty?

Could you also give me a quick painting tutorial? Because this has a similar effect as boltmans knight with all the weathering. Something I'd love to have on my knights.

The Hoff, you've set another milestone for the AM, I salute you!

Cheers,
Mato Noupa

Edit: And please listen to all those comments. Don't take unconverted models into your army! After what you've done with the AM troops it would be a shame to take plain Vostoxysfdwhatever models. The Dremel really is perfect for this, a saw and a knife would probably do too.
Just cut off those funny hats and replace them with hoods.

malika
20-03-2006, 14:42
Yo Mato go check your PM ;)

I suggest that instead of Basilisk tanks you should model Knights with the weapons of the basilisk...just think of the old Warden Class Knight...but ok I mentioned this on the ASP forum already!

self biased
20-03-2006, 15:05
i have a wrecked land raider that you can have the engine piece off of, if you don't mind that it's already half painted.

Aquilla
20-03-2006, 15:32
Oh my,
wow.

Right I'm binning my knight.

immortal99
20-03-2006, 15:35
That knight titan is great! i really like the eagle head - it looks so much better than the heads people normally use, its painted really well as well. I agree with Mato Noupa that you should convert those vostrayan heads - just take a saw to them!

Gen_eV
20-03-2006, 15:57
That is the best Knight conversion I've yet seen. Absolutely brilliant, and ties in fantastically well with the design of the FW Warhound. I particularly like the head, mostly as it isn't a sentinel. Really looking forward to seeing this guy armed - are you going for a triple-bolter on one side and the battlecannon on the other?

I also agree with Mato Noupa and immortal99 in that you should convert the Vostroyans - removing the heads won't be an extreme challence, and they'd loook absolutely fantastic with AM-style hoods. PLus it confirms them as Tech-guard, rather than AM with Vostroyans helping out.

Anvils Hammer
20-03-2006, 16:06
horray, this was an awesome project, Im glad its back, its inspiring.

the knight titan is looking amazing! although I would suggest for the armament you give it a heavy stubber, and just tell your opponent that the quad heavy bolter is actually a triple heavy bolter and heavy stubber, quad just looks better!

Its a pity you've opted for part vostroyans, but I understand why, and I love the models, Id also strongly suggest adding hoods, its such an important aspect of the admec.

Also, may I strongly recommend using praetorians, they are so charactefull, adn could easily be represented by a unit of sentinels, even if its not a perfect match, it makes rough sense.

Im so doing an ad mech army at some point, I wont have your painting skills, but the torsos, legs and head are going to be sculpted and cast (from scratch, to avoide IP violation). So Ill have you beat on modeling I hope :)

cheers,

AH

Goblit Skullhelm
20-03-2006, 16:25
Hoff! Hoff! It's Hoff! The Ad Mech army is back!

*Rejoices*

malika
20-03-2006, 16:29
That is the best Knight conversion I've yet seen. Absolutely brilliant, and ties in fantastically well with the design of the FW Warhound. I particularly like the head, mostly as it isn't a sentinel. Really looking forward to seeing this guy armed - are you going for a triple-bolter on one side and the battlecannon on the other?

I also agree with Mato Noupa and immortal99 in that you should convert the Vostroyans - removing the heads won't be an extreme challence, and they'd loook absolutely fantastic with AM-style hoods. PLus it confirms them as Tech-guard, rather than AM with Vostroyans helping out.

The Vostroyans are loyal to the Machine God, just check the latest sneak preview of the Vostroyan command squad.

Teufelskerl
20-03-2006, 16:36
Veeeeeery nice. I have two Armorcast Reavers that I've been holding off building (and adding to the Demi-Legion I have) due to the fact that the heads are just wrong and too small (as is the body, for that matter, but that's an easier thing to add/convert/bulk-out. Compare the Reaver head to the head on a Forgeworld Warhound and you'll see what I mean.) I've been playing around with using a Land Speeder or a Sentinal for the basis of a scratch build, but hadn't really come up with anything that thrilled me.

The head on your Knight Titan is inspirational, to say the least.

I can say, with out any doubt, that your army is going to be kickass; well done!

Eulenspiegel
20-03-2006, 16:40
I donīt normally do such posts, but:

Wow!
If you donīt already have a well-paid job, consider going professional.

Getz
20-03-2006, 18:57
Much as I wouldn't normally counsel it, go for two Heavy Bolters and a Lascannon dude, something that awesome has to have a lascannon on it somewhere...

Or indeed, consider using it as a Demolisher - somehow the awesome smackdown of it's weaponry seems more appropriate for a Knight. How about modular weapon mounts so you can swap Battle Cannon for Demolisher Cannon and Triple Heavy bolters for Las and twin Plas?

I also can't quite belive you're just going to set aside those completed Skitarrii... If I had converted and painted such a gorgeous set of weapons I'd be in hog heaven, but you're just going to forget about them? :wtf:

Yodhrin
20-03-2006, 19:11
Yessssss. Good to see you back mate, I cant wait to see what new ideas of yours I can pinch :p

You seem to have gone in pretty much the same direction I plan to, those Vostroyans are just stunnin', although I plan to use them as my actual Skitarii(Im fairly sure Skitarii and Tech Guard are the same thing, Tech Guard just being the name given to them by outsiders. Within the Skitarii it divides into Hypaspists - basic troops, Sagitarii - HWTs, Cataphractii - Vehicle crewmen, and Balisterai - Artillery crew).

The IG+WH combo is great for representing AdMech, you're deffo on the right track there; Arco-flaggellents have great rules for Electro-priests, and Zealots will do well as Tech Cultists led by a Machine Preacher.

Seeing as you have a Doctrine point free, consider Ogryns. They are tough enough to represent macro-servitors or even Praetorians(Im considering modelling them with mini-multilasers and CCWs).

Anyway, I cant wait to see more.

AventineCrusader
20-03-2006, 19:20
Oh yeah, its back. Your original thread got me to join this site, I'm glad the second half is here. That titan is amazing. Definately going to agree you should give the Vostroyans hoods and figure out how to include those Praetorians. Maybe you should put this in project logs...

Crusader:D

the buzz
20-03-2006, 19:24
Dang ! thats good

Glad to see you back, it was your 'Tech Guard Army' that drew me to this fine forum.

I was thinking of using the Voystrians (Sp?) as Storm Trropers for my Valhallen Army, but now you got me thinking.........

I gonna have to build one of the 'Knights' now BTW !! (Damn you ! ;0)

Dakkagor
20-03-2006, 19:37
Thats simply an incredible model. Do you do commisions?!?
(the eagle head especially is very nice)

TheSonOfAbbadon
20-03-2006, 19:43
*Hugs The Hoff*

THANK YOU!

I thought you'd given up on this project! What other units have you got in the pipeline?

Loricatus
20-03-2006, 19:48
Very nice work... I just might have to copy you there and make my AdMech Russ some sort of walker... I also have 2 platoon boxes of Vostroyans on order to take the place of my Skitarii...

The Hoff
20-03-2006, 21:09
Thanks for the big response guys!

As far as the Vostroyans go, remember there will be about 30 (2xGrenadier, 1xhardened veterans) extensivly converted Ad.Mech figures to offset them. They are such nice model that it would be hard to take a drill to them :)

WIP shots are actually something that did not occur to me. The actual construction phase was very quick. If I do a MkII at any point I will make sure I take extensive WIP shots. If anyone want rough templates for the major panels I could draw up some.

[EDIT]

@Self Biased, I sent you a PM.

@Mato, the weathering was done using three colours, black, bestial brown and scroched Brown. After the base colour was fully highlighted, the first step was making a very thin wash of black. I applied this in a downward motion on all the panels using a wide (50mm) brush. While this was still wet I added a little more paint to the wash, and using the thin edge of of the brush I applied irregular darker streaks onto the panels in a vertical pattern.

When this black wash wash totally dry the second step was making a heavily, heavily watered down wash of bestial drown. This wash not washed all over, but blotched in an irregular pattern.

The next and most important step was the rust. For painting light rust I use bestial brown and schorched brown. First I take a detail brush and apply un-thinned scorched brown to represent chips and dints in the paint. Alot of people use metallics to do the same thing, sharp edges, and deep recesses both need attention. To do the rust streaks, I make another wash of bestail brown and streak it down from the chipped and scratched sections of paint.

Thats pretty basic (I just woke up), if you need clarification on any points feel free to ask.

HiredSword.
20-03-2006, 21:36
I almost had a tear in my eye seeing just the title, thank the machine god you're back Hoff!

Your original thread was the reason i joined warseer and i have to see this thread may be even better with the new possibilites that are arising from the new vostoryan range. I'm with the other posters who said that the hoods will look good on the vostroyans.

btw, whats the army like now? i forgot how much you'd actually got done, what about those sweet bikes?

Anvils Hammer
20-03-2006, 22:21
I seocnd Getz's idea to make it a demolisher as well.

a twinlinked plasma cannon is just too good to pass up, think how massive the dreadnought plasmacannon is, then double that size.. and a demolisher cannon is just bad ass. Also, you get thicker armour, which is more representative of a titan.

Princeps
20-03-2006, 22:43
I love it, especially the head.

Yeah, I wouldn't mind some templates too.

Puffin Magician
20-03-2006, 23:01
I didn't even have to click the link on the main forums page to know who this was about. Hoo-ray, return of the Hoff!

I like the paint scheme despite not agreeing on why you made it so - Knights are all about proud heraldry and garish red symbols of their allegiance. Hell, the whole Cult Mechanicus is.

If you can scavenge the grille from a PzKfwVI why not the engine bits too; or make them from scratch? Nothing really complicated about a Land Raider engine...

So, uh... yeah, Malika and Yodhrin pretty much said what I was thinking; but the Warden has a mortarish weapon AFAIK so he'd be represented by a Griffon. A Castellan/Crusader would be good for a BasilisKnight, although the wimpy secondary armament pretty much ruins the entire idea of a war engine.

How on earth did you craft that magnificent head?

Kjell
20-03-2006, 23:19
As far as I can tell, the head is a Sentinel cockpit plus plasticard/greenstuff. Really nice work, all in all. I want to make my own stompy warmachine now...

malika
20-03-2006, 23:27
So, uh... yeah, Malika and Yodhrin pretty much said what I was thinking; but the Warden has a mortarish weapon AFAIK so he'd be represented by a Griffon. A Castellan/Crusader would be good for a BasilisKnight, although the wimpy secondary armament pretty much ruins the entire idea of a war engine.
What was why I suggested the Warden, well the Warden seemed to have officially dissapeared IIRC and the Knights...well they havent been really updated for almost 15 years IIRC, some minor alteration to the Warden wouldnt be too controversial perhaps?

Puffin Magician
20-03-2006, 23:34
I dunno, whatever floats your boat. The Warden was a hunchback turtle command knight with spindly multilaser arms, so making it into something that's nearly identical to a Paladin/Lancer would be a shade more than "minor alteration". That and they were always painted white, relatively slow, and pretty rare. I'm a stickler for the original Knight classes/roles/fluff!

TanithScout
21-03-2006, 00:27
Hey Hoff, let me first say I am a huge fan of your work, and infact you have inspired me to do my own tech guard. I must say i love the old models you produced, they were bloody fabulous, but i think the move to voystrians is a smart one, considering the number and such. Im still stuck on design flas because i HAVE to use cadians( i got 80 of them) (any tips would be great haha :D ) anyhoo, im loosing track of the point of this post

the titan looks fabulous, seriously awsome, i love the head

as for praetorians, may i actually suggest a few options ( as ive had a go in my head for a while)

first off, for cheaper ones, i think ogryns might be your best bet. yeah they only have the 5+, but they are strenght 6 with a fair number of wounds

or

arco flaggelants: while this is a pricey option, this is pretty much what im using. then again im basing my force of of the witch hunters list ( you wouldnt beleive how great inquisitors work for techpriests)

good luck

-Tanithscout

ilikebmxbikes
21-03-2006, 02:52
it looks amazing. one thing always stands out to me with these conversions, the toes. i always feel like the toes should be longer for better balance.

Jericho
21-03-2006, 05:29
Awesome! One of the only Knights I've seen where I was truly impressed with all the details. No Sentinel head is a huge improvement over most previous attempts IMO. This one definitely looks the closest to the Forgeworld Titan designs, which is a good thing.

I'm afraid I might have to agree with the assertion that nobody's ever gonna make feet large enough to satisfy my imagination. I would recommend the feet from the Mechwarrior computer series for reference. Those games always have the best giant robot foot designs if you ask me. They look way better than most of the art/models from the same range anyway.

Mato Noupa
21-03-2006, 07:27
Thanks for the advice Hoff! I hope I'll be able finish the Knight soon so I can start painting. I'll contact you again if I have something burning under my fingernails. ;)

I'm kind of getting the feeling that I haven't given the Vostoy,lslmn (Gosh! I can't write that name!) a close enough look.

With the roles/fluff of the Knights I'm with Puffin Magician. I wouldn't change the feeling of the old models too much. BUT I'm sure with your skills you could take the Warden hunchback design to the next age. I've done my knights in the old design but as Forgeworld changed the design of the titans I think one could also create a newish Warden.
As armament I think the Basilisks Cannon would be ok or was that the Castellan class?

And there's another idea that just jumped at me: Do you by chance plan to have a "Knight Rider" for your knight Hoff? :D

Cheers,
Mato Noupa

Nid
21-03-2006, 07:42
If you are still in need of a Land Raider exhaust, I have a bitz land raider I would be more than honored to send you whatever you needed to off of it.

VanHel
21-03-2006, 07:43
Damn you, now I wanna start work on my Titan Legion again.

The Hoff
21-03-2006, 10:34
I am hearing a lot of names of Knight classes I have never heard of.

Does anyone have a link to a good fluff/info page on Knights?

frod
21-03-2006, 11:13
I am hearing a lot of names of Knight classes I have never heard of.

Does anyone have a link to a good fluff/info page on Knights?

try Here (http://www.specialist-games.com/epic/forum_b/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5310) for some pretty good descriptions

firestorm40k
21-03-2006, 11:13
http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8679/knight6dj.jpg

BEST

KNIGHT

EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :cool: :eek: :D

Welcome back Hoff, great to hear from you and see your incredible minis again!

If it's Knight's background you're after, I recommended tracking down the Codex Titanicus book from the OOP 'Titan Legions' box game (I got mine off eBay). In a nutshell (and off of the top of my head!), the Knights come from feral/feudal worlds which supply raw materials to Ad Mech Forge Worlds. They are given to the ruling classes of the of the world by the Ad Mech, and are divided in to House holds (e.g. House Krast, which I believe is blue).

For more details about the Knights and the various classifications (Knights Errant, Crusader, Castellan etc) I recommend going to http://www.specialist-games.com, going to the Epic section, then tot he playtest vault, and downloading the Adeptus Mechanicus Titan Legion army list for Epic:Armageddon.

Looking forward to seeing what you do next - keep up the outstanding work!

Holycrusader
21-03-2006, 12:55
Dang ! thats good

Glad to see you back, it was your 'Tech Guard Army' that drew me to this fine forum.

The same with me. You inspired me enough to get that High elves archer legs and make one techpriest for myselv :)

the_flash
21-03-2006, 13:32
http://www.siegeworld.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3

Under forces of mars. I think it's a fantastic site, and i really wanna play a game like that some day...

Loricatus
21-03-2006, 18:36
Hoff, could you post a picture of your knight with a Leman Russ or a Rhino next to it so we can get an idea of the size?

ZAChos
21-03-2006, 20:32
Hoff, could you post a picture of your knight with a Leman Russ or a Rhino next to it so we can get an idea of the size?

Notice the dead guardsman on the base?

Lord-Warlock
21-03-2006, 20:53
Alternatively, you just look at the legs, which are taken from the Defiler, and go from there...

And I don't believe I've mentioned how customarily brilliant this is. Thumbs up yet again, Hoff.

- LoW

Loricatus
21-03-2006, 21:59
Yeah, I missed the guardsman... and I know those are defiler legs... but it would still be nice to see a side-by-side. If it's not too much trouble, that is. I am seriously considering attempting something similar myself for my own AdMech army, but since it'll be a Counts-As Leman Russ, I'd kinda like to see how much height it has over a standard LR.

cpl_hicks
21-03-2006, 23:00
hoff, your back :P

loving the work, if you are not using the old tech guard you made im sure that i could take them off your hands :D :D :D :P

Getz
21-03-2006, 23:21
Having looked at all that knight fluff, I guess counting as a Leman Russ with Three Heavy Bolters would make for a Knight Castellan and a Russ with one Lascannon would be a Knight Crusader...

Anyone got any pictures of the old Epic Knight Mini's? I've never seen them...

The Hoff
22-03-2006, 05:24
Here is a size comparison for those who requested.

Sorry about the blurry pic, I left micro mode on from too farr away.

http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/3474/p10100712su.jpg

pyramid_head
22-03-2006, 05:33
Awsome job there hoff, thats the first imperial knight I've really liked :)

HPD_Andy
22-03-2006, 09:12
Simply awsom, glad to see the Adeptus Mechanicus Project up and running again, I was a religous follower of the original thread.

Mojaco
22-03-2006, 09:37
Awsome job there hoff, thats the first imperial knight I've really liked :)
My sentiment exactly. I disliked the sentinel heads sofar, but this head is just pure class. Fits brilliantly in the range of titans (knight = bird, warhound = dog, warlord = human).

Puffin Magician
22-03-2006, 11:27
I guess a Leman Russ with 3 Heavy Bolters would make for a Knight Castellan... a Russ with Lascannon would be a Knight Crusader...Egads, no. The Crusader and Castellan were heavier knights wielding a Quake Cannon, even a Demolisher or Basilisk wouldn't cut it as far as primary armament is concerned. Their secondary weapons are doubled up and presumably larger than their standard IG counterparts [I'd consider Longbarreling them] so a single standard Lascannon is very wimpy in comparison. The Castellan also has beefy Autocannons rather than Heavy Bolters.

any pictures...?Ask and ye shall be provided (http://photobucket.com/albums/v124/Puffinmagician/Imperial%20Guard%20and%20Adeptus%20Mechanicus/?action=view&current=ImperialKnights.jpg)!

biggreengribbly
22-03-2006, 11:54
OMFG! SLAP ME NOW!!!! Stop the madness before it consumes me you 'counts as' nuts. ARMOURED COMPANY! An entire army of knights.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH that would be SO frikkin awesome!

I need as much info on knight titans (fluff and image wise) and as much details as possible about the construction of this baby.

librerian_samae
22-03-2006, 12:21
very wow, hoff. Very wow:D !

Youve given me the inspiration to finally start again on my emperors children army.

Because you know an entire knight house turned to slaanesh did they not? (house devine I believe)
Plus I can use it in liu of a defiler. tasty.

Pfreck
22-03-2006, 12:58
Yeah! The Hoff returns! nice new creation! how many points do you have now for the tournament?
cheers

Loricatus
22-03-2006, 15:02
Thanks for the size comparison pic, Hoff. No worries about it being blurry... it gets the idea across. Now I am seriously tempted to build one myself... I just hope I can do half a good a job as you did.

damz451
22-03-2006, 15:54
i wish i cld make something like that :(, that has better quality than a fw titan!!!!, you could probobly use warhound rules for it, i doubt any1 would argue with such an amazing peice of work

malika
22-03-2006, 15:56
Yo Hoff, have you already been working on the weapons for this monster? :chrome:

Jericho
23-03-2006, 21:58
I would be very interested to see some weaponry... getting three heavybolters together might be a bit awkward but if anyone can do it, it's probably the Hoff right now :D

Anyway, what's that Errant armed with? Looks like a giant meltagun or flamer and a powerfist.

malika
23-03-2006, 22:06
Would the rules change if there were to be modelled as ratling heavy bolters? Just put the three in a "circle".

What about adding a close combat weapon and counting it as like a dozerblade or something?

Puffin Magician
23-03-2006, 23:19
The rules only change if you change them, that's the best thing about proxying. Putting the Heavy Bolters in a circular/Y-shaped arrangement might provide an interesting look, better than a simple "three abreast" look like the Warhound Inferno Gun.
what's that Errant armed with?You got it, basically. Melta Cannon and "Titan" CCW sums it up, I figure they have defensive weapons [linked HBolts or something] in the head somewhere, but no Static Lance or any other fancy stuff. My guess is that it's a close support/siege version of the Paladin.

NorthernMike
24-03-2006, 00:35
That thing is so awsome, you could actually use it as something a little more unique than a regualar Leman Russ. Like maybe one of it's FW varients. The Executioner with it's plasma might siut the "Adeptus" look and fluff a bit more than a battle cannon. Or a Vanquisher, with the extra antitank options. Even the Demolisher would be cool with the extra armour making it tougher. An exterminator would make it the ultimate anti infantry tank, though no anti tank seems wrong.

I can't wait to see it no matter what it represents in truth though.

Mojaco
24-03-2006, 08:41
Tooo.... hard... to..... resist.... bandwagon....

Now I want one too! Orkyfied though :) Will go nice with Adaptuz Mekkanikuz.

The Hoff
24-03-2006, 11:17
Yes, thats the way Mojaco...dont try to fight it.

Im working on a giant assault cannon look-alike weapon to count as the Heavy bolters. It will be approximatly the same size as the battle-cannon mount I have made, to give a balanced appearance to the machine.

Finishing off some bits and pieces for my Daemonhunters army, becuase I am selling it, so the Knight is on hold for a week or so.

malika
24-03-2006, 12:37
Show Us What You're Selling!!!

HiredSword.
24-03-2006, 13:00
daemonhunters army? :eek:

must see this!

Yodhrin
24-03-2006, 15:56
Yes, thats the way Mojaco...dont try to fight it.

Im working on a giant assault cannon look-alike weapon to count as the Heavy bolters. It will be approximatly the same size as the battle-cannon mount I have made, to give a balanced appearance to the machine.

Finishing off some bits and pieces for my Daemonhunters army, becuase I am selling it, so the Knight is on hold for a week or so.

Knight-sized version of the Vulcan Mega Bolter, perhaps?

EDIT: Left arm weapon(right side from photo's perspective).
EDIT2: Should probably link to the photo eh? :p http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/acatalog/titan3store1.jpg
EDIT3: And looking at the FW site, I just realised why the Titan Crew have always appealed to me so much; the helmets look just like the one on the cover of the Fallout(might have been Fallout 2) game box.

TheSaint
26-03-2006, 22:30
Hey Hoff,

Good to see you again. I've been gone for a while but am back just in time I see. Awesome job!

Would really like to have some pics of WIP though, I guess everyone would like to have a template for the head (and rest) if you are willing to share.

Anyway, I think I'll give it go again too, haha. If you need any bitz. Let us know...

Mojaco
28-03-2006, 13:28
Could someone point me to some sort of guide on how to do a knight titan? The Defiler parts are a dead give-away, but I don't mind knowing a little more.

Just looked at your old thread, Hoff. Please continue with the original techguard. The Vostroyans do look great, but yours are more pure admech. i love the clean look.

librerian_samae
28-03-2006, 13:47
I managed to get some parts and now my house devine knight is compleat:D
unfortuantely i wont be able to access my camera untill next week:(

How did you manage to get the width for the 'shoulders' on your knight hoff, as I found that part really difficult and in the end had to resort to bulking it out with russ track parts, even then It still dosn't look as impressive as yours.

Mato Noupa
28-03-2006, 14:47
@mojaco: I really hate to do self-advertising but there's a thread with a tutorial for my knights. Feel free to take whatever you need from there.
The Hoff, unfortunately for us all, was so taken up by this project that he forgot to take WIP pictures. (But that happens to all of us) :)
We're waiting for WIP pics of your Mk II knight Hoff!!! ;)

@librerian_samae: Sent you a pm to not hijack The Hoffs fablous thread. Am very interested in your knight! :D

Cheers,

Mato Noupa

tzeentchgiant
28-03-2006, 15:37
Sigging this just doesn't seem enough.

Rock on dude...

TG

The Hoff
28-03-2006, 22:57
How did you manage to get the width for the 'shoulders' on your knight hoff, as I found that part really difficult and in the end had to resort to bulking it out with russ track parts, even then It still dosn't look as impressive as yours.

Which part do you mean by the shoulder?

I will be drawing up some simple plans for this one quite soon. If I do a MkII then I will take WIP shots and do detailed plans, otherwise Mato Noupa will be angry:p

EDIT: Vostroyans are out in about 3 weeks! huzza

malika
28-03-2006, 22:59
And we at the ASP will be angry too! We want a tutorial!!! :evilgrin:

librerian_samae
29-03-2006, 09:07
@hoff
by 'shoulder' I mean the top structures that overhang the torso and head on either side, couldnt think of a better word at the time tho!

@Mato Noupa
its not quite that finished I'm afraid still neeeds a smoothing off/warping of many surfaces before I give it a paint job, out of intrest I don't supose you know the paint scheme for devine I tried to find it but couldn't and was going to go with emperors children colours.

When i get my camera and myself back up to nodnoL I'l be sure to start a threead on my knight!

malika
04-04-2006, 00:38
Check out this Adeptus Mechanicus armr by Hortwerth: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=582048&postcount=66

Be inspired!

Metal Fingered Villain
04-04-2006, 04:21
My God! Those are simply amazing and truly have inpsired me to start an AM project in the future. How do they work rules wise? Also, where can those rules be found.

Xenox
04-04-2006, 18:28
Holy flying moose cow, *drools all over keyboard*, that knight is totally awsome aswell as the troops that you did in the "episode 1" of the Adeptus Mechanicus project. Looking forward to seeing more of this army. I hope you don't mind that I've borrowed some of your ideas for my own, 1/4 finished AM army.:) Now I'll go and try to find my jaw off the floor...:chrome:

Xenox, aka Cheesemeister

Mato Noupa
10-04-2006, 08:24
I really wonder what ur up to now Hoff. Seems that Howerth beat us both with finishing an AM army. ;)
Beautiful stuff! Good to see so many well converted and painted AM models out there, keeps me working on mine. :p

@samae: I'll have a look, but I don't think I've got something on House Divine. Looking forward!! :D

Cheers,
Mato Noupa

Norminator
10-04-2006, 09:50
Whoopie, The Hoff is back!

That Knight is absolutely amazing, nothing more I can say on it. I can see why you are using Vostroyans, but those old Skitarii were so good it strikes me as a bit of a shame. And as for the Praetorian... :cries:

Brother Smith
31-05-2006, 00:02
Awesome knight.

Pleeeeeease don't use vostroyans! Make your skitarii like they are on the HH cards.

Dull grey armour, like a cross between eldar and cadian. :(

Still learning
08-07-2006, 06:11
any progress??

dave is the best
16-08-2006, 16:40
any updates

chaos0xomega
16-08-2006, 17:38
Really, really nice. I was actually considering trying to convert a warhound titan out of a defiler and lots o' plasticard about 6 months ago. Tell me, ow big is this compared to say.... a warhound titan? It looks to be about 8 inches high, but I can't exactly tell as I am bad at judging distacnce, and I don't own any leman russ's...

prometheus
27-09-2006, 03:40
this is probably a random thing to add...but i have also been drawn into your admech idea...and have even gone so far as to make some admech skitarii... i used the high elf archer legs, cadian upper body, arms, lasgun, but gave them the vox backpack to represent the techno gizmos things they must have as well as the vox head to represent an implanted combead and respirator. I am going for a smaller more vehicle oriented force...so i included a valkyrie, a land raider, a tank i made & used the vehicle design rules 4...(Israeli Merkavas look an awful lot like a predessessor 2 the baneblade)...do you intend on using sentinels...because i had the idea of little tankettes zipping around the board...do you have any advice on how to do that?. Also how did u make the hoods for the cloaks of your tech people?...sorry for somewhat taking your idea but it seemed too cool & doing it would provide an interesting challenge. Im not going to try and go for the mechs though thats WAY 2 much work...2 many armies 2 paint 2 do that...the best of luck to you in your project.

tzeentchgiant
27-09-2006, 09:24
any progress??

any updatesNormally when a poster has an update they don't keep them to themselves. There's no need to bring a thread back up to the top, I expected this "update" to be a poster requesting more, but I was still disappointed to find that it was.

Please stop bringing these awesome threads back from the dead, it's the reason the first Ad-mech thread was closed and damned disappointing for people following this thread.

TG

Machinepriest
27-09-2006, 11:40
I agree with Tzeentchgiant here.
I really got my hopes up when I saw this thread back up again.

If you want to know how the project is faring, please don't resurrect the threads. Just send a PM to the original poster instead.

Luke
27-09-2006, 13:35
Very annoyed. I was expecting some updates.