PDA

View Full Version : Historical Proxies for Imperial Guard?

gloriousbattle
18-01-2011, 03:08
Curious how many of you do this.

My IG troopers are universally WW2 era Soviets (including many units that are much like Soviets to begin with, like commissars and cavalry). I just paint the weapons to look like lasguns (amazing what you can do with a bronze drybrush and a few red and blue spots for blinking lights). Other than that, they get Ogryns, a few IG officers, Land Raiders, and they make a pretty darned nice IG army.

Of course, the Praetorians were made to resemble colonial era British, and you could probably have started with troops of that era and modified them a bit to give the same effect. I knew one guy who did something similar with WW1 era Germans.

So how many of you use historical troops, in whole or in part, to represent your IG armies?

Crube
18-01-2011, 03:22
Do you go down the GW route for tanks, or do you 'counts as' for Chimeras etc?

Also,. how do things you use GW figures for scale to the historial stuff? Is it really noticable?

Bunnahabhain
18-01-2011, 14:18
I like my 1:48 scale KV1 and 2s for Russes. Plenty of my other stuff is very heavily influenced by the Red Army- Heavy mortars that look very like M1938 120mm mortars,a and katushka style manticores work...

I've not yet found a range of historical miniatures that I'm happy with price and detailwise, and that won't take too much effort to convert as needed for the troops though.

gloriousbattle
18-01-2011, 15:07
Do you go down the GW route for tanks, or do you 'counts as' for Chimeras etc?

Yes, because otherwise it would just BE a Soviet army with funny looking rifles. As I said in the OP, I add in Ogryns, Land Raiders and special characters, but the line troopers are universally Ivans, some with slight modifications.

Also,. how do things you use GW figures for scale to the historial stuff? Is it really noticable?

It would probably be noticeable if I cared about such stuff, but since the major characters are 30+mm GW, and only the ordinary soldiers are 28s, it looks good.

Still, that is an area where I think many gamers get too picayune. Humans are, after all, of different heights. If a 30mm man was about 6' tall, then a 28mm man would be a little over f 1/2', which is certainly within tolerance.

I like my 1:48 scale KV1 and 2s for Russes. Plenty of my other stuff is very heavily influenced by the Red Army- Heavy mortars that look very like M1938 120mm mortars,a and katushka style manticores work...

I've not yet found a range of historical miniatures that I'm happy with price and detailwise, and that won't take too much effort to convert as needed for the troops though.

All a question of what you like, of course. You take the opposite route from me, proxying vehivles but keeping the troops, however, I can see quite a nice army coming out of that.

One thing that I used to do was make sci-fi bits painted in the same color scheme as historical vehicles, so you could stick them on with some blue tack (I guess these days people would use rare earth magnets) just to give them a sci fi feel.

Zweischneid
18-01-2011, 15:18
Isn't that the whole point of why IG exists in the first place?

So people can play with some cinematic kitchensink approximation of WW1/WW2/Vietnam-SS-Kommissars&Rambo-look-alike in a by and large more outlandish sci-fantasy game of Light-saber-wielding Elf-sorcerers on Jet-bikes vs. the Alien-Queen with screaming quad-swords vs. Thor-Wolf-rider-from-Fenris vs. the Grim Reaper himself ?

ColShaw
18-01-2011, 15:45
I lightly converted some American Civil War cavalry (Perry Brothers Miniatures) to be Rough Riders; I swapped out the heads to match my Guardsmen and gave them IG Lasguns and Laspistols, and some High Elf spears as lances. They actually came out really well.

Hrw-Amen
18-01-2011, 21:21
Something i've looked at doing, but so far all the 28mm figures I've come across some how appeared a little skinny and wiry to be in a W40K army. I was thinking about some Napoleonic era stuff but decided against it for that reason.

gloriousbattle
19-01-2011, 01:18
Isn't that the whole point of why IG exists in the first place?

So people can play with some cinematic kitchensink approximation of WW1/WW2/Vietnam-SS-Kommissars&Rambo-look-alike in a by and large more outlandish sci-fantasy game of Light-saber-wielding Elf-sorcerers on Jet-bikes vs. the Alien-Queen with screaming quad-swords vs. Thor-Wolf-rider-from-Fenris vs. the Grim Reaper himself ?

Well... obviously! ;)

JoV
19-01-2011, 01:34
From my own mucking about, it is often hard to make things work scale wise between true-scale historicals and fantasy scale GW.

These guys might work well however.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/announcements/shock-troops-sci-fi-greatcoat-infantry-up-for-pre-order

t-tauri
19-01-2011, 01:53
These guys might work well however.

http://www.wargamesfactory.com/announcements/shock-troops-sci-fi-greatcoat-infantry-up-for-pre-order

You should be aware that the company is in some sort of disorder. I'd be very wary of ordering direct at present.

Gliderrider
19-01-2011, 03:14
I always fancied the preatorians, but couldnt find decent 28mm Heroic Victorian/ Boar War era mini's.

Dead7
19-01-2011, 04:41
you guys should be posting pics. id like to see this stuff.

Stormhammers
19-01-2011, 05:12
thought about getting a large number of praetorians, standing and kneeling in firing poses with mordians as sergeants and the like. It would have looked great, but my wallet convinced me not to do it. I found some Marders that I converted to be my sentinals, closed top and stuck a lascannon on it. Really fits well into my "WW2 german" theme.

magath
19-01-2011, 09:44
In a few weeks I plan to pick up three boxes of these:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_43&products_id=129

28mm WWII russians, 57 for 20, so its a platoon in a box!!

Failing that, I quite fancied using Westwind's Burlin or Bust models, except for the horrible, horrible amount of flash at the bottom, like a big metal plug...

gloriousbattle
19-01-2011, 22:08
In a few weeks I plan to pick up three boxes of these:

http://theplasticsoldiercompany.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_2_43&products_id=129

28mm WWII russians, 57 for 20, so its a platoon in a box!!

Failing that, I quite fancied using Westwind's Burlin or Bust models, except for the horrible, horrible amount of flash at the bottom, like a big metal plug...

I think those would make excellent IG.

Gliderrider
20-01-2011, 01:19
thought about getting a large number of praetorians, standing and kneeling in firing poses with mordians as sergeants and the like. It would have looked great, but my wallet convinced me not to do it. I found some Marders that I converted to be my sentinals, closed top and stuck a lascannon on it. Really fits well into my "WW2 german" theme.

Pretty much why I decided not to. I figured I'd have needed 3 of the Limited ed box set which was 150 IIRC. At the time I was on a 30 a week aprenticeship. Not going to happen.

Bunnahabhain
20-01-2011, 01:41
Pretty much why I decided not to. I figured I'd have needed 3 of the Limited ed box set which was 150 IIRC. At the time I was on a 30 a week aprenticeship. Not going to happen.

Could be worse. You could have got some of them, and then sold them off for a pittance around 98-98. :cries:

Gliderrider
20-01-2011, 11:54
My sympathy mate.