PDA

View Full Version : New Dwarfs

Darkfang74
17-03-2005, 22:24
Now that Lustria is on the horizion, the battlions should soon follow.

What are the dwarfs getting new?

In WD 303 we got a full section of painting dwarf clans. But no new minis were sneeked in like GW likes to do.

Anyone here what the Dwarf battlion well include? :D

Ar-Earandur
18-03-2005, 11:11
probably a regiment or two of warriors. A cannon of some sort. And perhaps something a bit more fancy.

samael
18-03-2005, 15:59
I could use some plastic Handgunners and Trollslayers.

But I won't hold my breath.

rkunisch
18-03-2005, 16:17
The obvious choice would be some Miners and/or some reworked warriors (like a usable pose for crossbows and/or great weapons :rolleyes: ).

Have fun,

Rolf.

boogle
18-03-2005, 18:29
yeah a bit less Hi-Ho and a bit more Oh-Ho

Sir Badger
18-03-2005, 18:36
I hope that they do change the warriors for a more something different than the normal hands on hips come and get it. If anyone can remember the dragon company, this would make a great pose for both warriors braced behind a shield wall and for x-bows/handgunners.

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/rrd06ulthers.htm

however with bigger shields

BoosterX
18-03-2005, 19:03
**Added I wish*** for the following

Plastic slayers, hammerers, gunners, miners, etc...

Warriors are okay...I don't mind them...

Sylass
18-03-2005, 19:06
I was told that it looks like as if the new Slayers will be metal.

Not much of a surprise if you ask me...

75hastings69
18-03-2005, 19:26
Dwarves (dwarfs) will be the first new releases after WE (which should come out around august), not 100% certain on the new plastics, but expect to see new warriors, longbeards, ironbreakers & artillery, apparently slayers are staying in metal.

Stouty
20-03-2005, 12:52
Slayers in metal are a good and bad thing. The bad thing is you can now take an army of them so it would cost you an arm and a leg. The good thing is that they are metal so are expensive and would cost yu an arm and a leg, meaning they wont be too common ;) :p

Dargon
21-03-2005, 03:47
Dwarves (dwarfs) will be the first new releases after WE (which should come out around august), not 100% certain on the new plastics, but expect to see new warriors, longbeards, ironbreakers & artillery, apparently slayers are staying in metal.Are we talking about an actual Armybook here? Or a Lustria-style campaign book?

For my part, I'm hoping the new plastics replace the current set with...

A set of lightly armoured Dwarfs - Warriors/Crossbow/Rangers/Thunderers.
A set of heavily armoured Dwarfs - Warriors/Miners/Potentially Elites.

And for the Battalion, a plastic Cannon/Bolt Thrower.

Just a thought...

User Name
21-03-2005, 04:05
That is actually quite a good idea, having a heavy armourd and light armoured plastic box with enough bits to make any of te missle troops and te heavier one or warriors and elites, hopefully GW will have that idea too.

75hastings69
21-03-2005, 09:32
Are we talking about an actual Armybook here? Or a Lustria-style campaign book?

As far as i am aware certainly NO armybook. There is talk of a small
book(let) similar to Lustria which will detail a scenario between dwarfs and dark elves, thus opening the gateway for the new plastic releases.

masp
21-03-2005, 11:08
The new plastics should be released toghether with a camapign book similar to Lustria and about the retake of Karak-8-peeks.
The new plastics should be 2 sets (1 for warriors/ironbreakers/hammerers and 1 one for shooters thunderers and crossbows) and a war-machine presumably cannon. I remember some rumours on the cannon kit that should allow to build also a flame cannon or an organ but I think it would be a bit too much even if nice.
For new army book we will have to wait the new edition that should be late 2006 or 2007.

athamas
21-03-2005, 11:46
a bout 2 weeks before portent died, i was in a local trader store, he hinted that new plastic 'chaos' dwarves were in the pipeline, these could have been new plastics that could easily be made to look like their chaotic cousins!

glimli
21-03-2005, 13:06
from what i read from the latest games day chaos dwarves will be way down the track if they are ever redone.

75hastings69
21-03-2005, 16:45
Chaos Dwarfs have appeared with increasing frequency in the fluff (+ Hellcannon and OK Leadbelchers using cannon made by them) so that sort of confirms they still exist. And for a cannon of CD origin to appear in HoC & OK it would suggest that some conceptual sketches/ideas at least have been completed.

However, a friend of mine in GW HQ reliably tells me there are current no plans to make CD, and that there are certainly none currently in sculpt/production. If someone has seen plastic "dwarfish" kits, they are almost definately for the new Dwarf stuff to be released near the end of this year.

Kul
21-03-2005, 16:57
a bout 2 weeks before portent died, i was in a local trader store, he hinted that new plastic 'chaos' dwarves were in the pipeline, these could have been new plastics that could easily be made to look like their chaotic cousins!

LOL
redshirt :p

the CD won't come back as far as I know.....

they are fun, but really needed?
hmmz, dunno :p

Theblackdwarf
21-03-2005, 16:59
which is a shame because chaos dwarfs rock.

But still new dwarf minis would be fantastic. I heard the book was about the fall of karak eight peaks. Seems to me that GW are going for the whole historic battles thing now and dont wantr to ontinue existing storylines.

rkunisch
21-03-2005, 17:38
book(let) similar to Lustria which will detail a scenario between dwarfs and dark elves, thus opening the gateway for the new plastic releases.

That would make sense. It would also open the opportunity to add the dearly needed character (lords/heros) models for the Dark Elves. I wonder what conflict this campaign book could possibly feature? :confused:

The new plastics should be released toghether with a camapign book similar to Lustria and about the retake of Karak-8-peeks.

This would mean that it is a book with Dwarfs against Goblins, wouldn't it?

Have fun,

Rolf.

Kul
21-03-2005, 18:06

quite makes you relise why dwarf are so unnoticed...

the only thing they fight is O&G.... :o
they should be revised in 7th ed....
they are pretty...boring now...slow and shooty
but that's only my opinion..

-K

Stouty
21-03-2005, 18:58
Slayers are fun but :D :p ;)

Dargon
22-03-2005, 23:50
book(let) similar to Lustria which will detail a scenario between dwarfs and dark elves, thus opening the gateway for the new plastic releases.Thanks for the clarification, much appreciated.

There are panicked rumours over on Asur.org that the Dwarfs are getting a full armybook revision (and you can imagine how that would infuriate High Elf players ;) ). It will be a great pleasure to quash them.

The new plastics should be released toghether with a camapign book similar to Lustria and about the retake of Karak-8-peeks.As rkunisch pointed out this is contradictory. Dark Elves had no involvement in the attempted retaking of Karak-8-Peaks (that we know of). Pretty much the only contact between Dwarfs and Dark Elves has been the lead-up to the War of the Beard.

I guess we'll have to wait for further rumours before the truth becomes evident. If Dark Elves are involved, it's only a matter of time before we start hearing about new plastics for them - modelwise they need as much attention to their plastic range as the Dwarfs do. If such rumours don't turn up, odds are the Goblins will get the attention instead (they don't require new plastics, so GW probably won't need to start on them until much later).

Just a thought...

BullBuchanan
30-03-2005, 06:20
I'm pretty new to warhammer. I've been in the hobby for probably 4 years now, but that was just mainly a little modeling and alot of procrastination ;) My first in depth warhammer began about 6 months ago. Now I started off with Dwarves and just this week i picked up a bretonnian and a High Elves army.

I'm just getting to the point where i'm happy with my dwarf model range, and now they're redoing the models? When was the last time they re-did them? It kind of sucks everythings going to be obsolete before I even get it all finished.

Is there any speculation as to when they release? If so maybe I can finish painting my current models and unload them before the new range is released, so that i can re-buy everything.

Akuma
30-03-2005, 20:16
@ Dwarfs - I've read ( on Asur com ) that they are acctualy getting revision :eek: - and with the gw policy of models for the rules not rules for models this may well happen - anyone herd something about it ???
( like 18" comand radious for general and US2 for certain units )

The boyz
01-04-2005, 13:41
Hopefully they will re-do the plastic regiment box set. And maybe do a plastic special choice like Ironbreakers or Longbeards.

Sgt John Keel
01-04-2005, 15:33
Hopefully they will re-do the plastic regiment box set. And maybe do a plastic special choice like Ironbreakers or Longbeards.

If so, make the hammerers plastic. The Ironbreakers and Longbeards are too gorgeous to change.
I've heard some vague rumours about GW starting to playtest Dwarves.

/Adrian

masp
01-04-2005, 19:41

Have fun,

Rolf.

Should be O&G and Skaven (Clan Mors)

Akuma
01-04-2005, 19:47
And i was under impression that after Lustria we get naggaroth with Dwarfs finaly realising that it was DE who started all this and go get their vangence in steam ships :)

Sylass
01-04-2005, 19:50
@ Dwarfs - I've read ( on Asur com ) that they are acctualy getting revision :eek: - and with the gw policy of models for the rules not rules for models this may well happen - anyone herd something about it ???
( like 18" comand radious for general and US2 for certain units )
I can't guarantee that this is correct (it's called a rumour forum after all!), but I heard about changes to the background of the Dwarfs happening too.

That makes me think that it'll be a proper army book and not just a booklet like thing.

Of course it's just my opinion/thoughts and I never got a confirmation or a denial about the "armybook or booklet" question.

Tulkas
03-04-2005, 16:19
Well if they do anything, they'd better do it right. The Longbeards are allright, but the Ironbreakers don't look like anything much at all, while the plastics are simply pantz. The best models in the range are the Slayers, and I hope they will sculpt more of them, with a variety of weapons (there are more things that'll kill than axes you know). It would also allow us to use Slayers more easily for Mordheim (without having to convert). I don't really care what they do, as long as they do it right. They have made splendidly animated models for the other ranges, why not make cool ones for the Dwarfs? If they've ran out of ideas they can always check the artwork for inspiration...

Darmort
03-04-2005, 16:35
And i was under impression that after Lustria we get naggaroth with Dwarfs finaly realising that it was DE who started all this and go get their vangence in steam ships :)

Is that meant to be a joke? Or an insult to Dark Elves? Own up would you! :mad: :p

Anyway, if there are new Dwarf Models, let's hope for Warriors who's hands *aren't* bigger than their heads, shall we?
Dwarfs need better Models on every front, in my opinion, except for the Stone Thrower and Lords. Gyrocopters, I'm told, are hard to build, maybe new plastic Gyrocopters?

Akuma
03-04-2005, 17:13
No it's not a joke i think it would be nice as now Skav and Liz get their campaning book and jungle rules - we would like to see some setting in chilly nagaroth

Darius Rhiannon
03-04-2005, 19:55
The thread on Bugmans that started it all.
http://forum.bugmansbrewery.com/viewtopic.php?t=6644&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=army+book&&start=220

The Dwarves getting a re-write alongside their battalion box fits in nicely with the GW policy of rules for models not models for rules.

So I do believe that due to the need for plastic battalions for all the races, the Dwarves and the Dark Elves will be getting new army books reasonably soon. Or Maybe not. Who knows.

BullBuchanan
03-04-2005, 20:42
The Dwarves getting a re-write alongside their battalion box fits in nicely with the GW policy of rules for models not models for rules.

Many people have been making this referance, but since I'm pretty new to WHFB I don't understand. Does anyone care to explain?

Festering Chantor
03-04-2005, 20:58
First: Welcome to the hobby.

Ok, there is a rumour about the Dwarf army book getting re-written. There is a policy at Games Workshop that they make models according to the rules (If the rules says you can put great weapons on your models, then the models will be delivered with great weapons options, see...) and there is also a rumour about a new Dwarf battalion box (you get lots of models in one box for less money) and that (some) the models are gettin re-sculpted to fit the new rules. Sounds about righ... right?

Hope that helped... Oh, and if you got even more confused now... someone else should be able to help ya :)

MiketheFish
04-04-2005, 02:53
well... that's not exactly true man. I still have a ton of Bestigors that are equipped with Halberds, when the current rules set insists that they are Great Weapons somehow.

Darkfang74
04-04-2005, 04:54
I'd simply be happy with heavy armor plastics and have their hands get made smaller!!!!!! and shorten their arms some, they can reach past their feet now as is!!!!

Delicious Soy
04-04-2005, 08:11
If they're going to redo the Dwarf line then Hammerers would be agood place to start, still using 5th ed models with big gems on them (just like swordmasters). I think that th problem with Dwarfs is variation in plastics. The best in that regard would be a warriors box and a slayers box with a plastic artillery piece or gyrocopter.

BullBuchanan
04-04-2005, 09:10
I'd be happier if they looked more like they wanted to eat something's heart, instead of run in a hollow tree and start making cookies. Dwarves are definitely a bit to jolly for the most part right now, especially the warriors. I'd liek it if alot of them were given the crazed look that the slayers and Grombrindal have. I also happen to think that Dwarf longbeards are the best looking units in the game, so I hope they keep them mostly unchanged

Dargon
04-04-2005, 11:05
There is a policy at Games Workshop that they make models according to the rules Actually, the policy generally works the other way around ;) . For example, Dwarf Longbeards and Rangers automatically come equipped with great weapons as standard. If it weren't for the models, this probably wouldn't have been the case in the rules. GW is a miniatures company first, and a rules company second. The rules are effectively there purely to sell the models.

The thread on Bugmans that started it all.About the only piece of info in that thread that seems even remotely reliable, is that Jeff Hall is quoted as confirming that Dwarfs are getting a "redo" - hardly confirmation of a full revision. A "redo" could quite adequately cover only what's happening to the model range. Hardly proof of new rules though.

I'm not saying that I disagree with the idea that Dwarfs will get some sort of update to their rules - in fact I'm pretty sure some sort of new rules are in the works to help promote the new models. I'm just saying that any kind of reliable proof as to what form those rules might take, has yet to be unveiled.

Just a thought...

Akuma
04-04-2005, 13:45
I think it woulndt be now army book as thay first will deal with empire and orcs - orcs need new orcs and empire needs new state troops - so i would say it will berather an WD format like DE revision and will be fallowed by few new boxed regs for them

Odin
04-04-2005, 16:42
I think it woulndt be now army book as thay first will deal with empire and orcs - orcs need new orcs and empire needs new state troops

What, new models, or new rules? Can't see that Orcs need new anything (except possibly plastic Boar Boyz - they only need to do a leg sprue!). Empire need some new plastics - the current ones are utterly uninspired.

Festering Chantor
04-04-2005, 17:23
I mess stuff up... my brains mostly...

I think the plastic Empire sprue (not spear and gunners though) is quite good, it's the only thing in warhammer that gives a feel of uniformity.
I like metal models, they are easy to paint but they're all alike... I have three unpainted metal slayers on my shelf along with 20 of their paited brethren... I swear they're mocking me, they watch me when I sleep... never even got so far as to buy the SoC Slayer models... I was already puking 'blazing orange'... Wouldn't like to be the lone Night Goblin Shaman (wich I bought to get some variation) I put next to them...

lazarus
04-04-2005, 19:17
Heard a rumour that GW have pulled the current play test list as someone leaked it!!! It sounded cool from what I was told....

You could make clansmen longbeards like Chosen for Chaos.....

+1 to hit on thunderers at short range but no move and shoot....

HA for all

Miners to have a rule like it came from below so they can charge....

It sounded good but rumours are just that.....

Akuma
04-04-2005, 20:07
Yeah but the part about miners is to funny to belive :D - skav sprung out as do TS but miners grumbling and slowly crowling from the tunnel - yeah big supprise :D

Just Tony
04-04-2005, 22:03
I think it woulndt be now army book as thay first will deal with empire and orcs - orcs need new orcs and empire needs new state troops - so i would say it will berather an WD format like DE revision and will be fallowed by few new boxed regs for them

First off, the Empire really have no need for new sculpts.

Second, the MOST the Orcs and Goblins need are plastic Boar Boys or Black Orcs, since Grimgor's 'ardBoyz list allows both as core. We've already heard GW's plans to phase out core pewter figs, so with the exception of unfavored appendix lists, we should expect this as the norm.

Third, there's no necessary rules revisions necessary for the Orcs or Empire.

So ANY rumors flying around about either of those armies being revised is HIGHLY unlikely. Not when other armies have points cost/equipment issues.

Me personally, I'm hoping for a slight tweak to the High Elf book, as right now the points costs there seem a little high compared to other lists. 10 point Spearmen would be a great start. I'd LOVE to see them have the heavy armor option for 11 points, this would make them halfway competitive. But alas, one of the oldest races in the Old World can't seem to figure out how to put more of that lightweight armor on.

Rant done, I'll go back to my daily toilings...

BullBuchanan
04-04-2005, 22:18
Me personally, I'm hoping for a slight tweak to the High Elf book, as right now the points costs there seem a little high compared to other lists. 10 point Spearmen would be a great start. I'd LOVE to see them have the heavy armor option for 11 points, this would make them halfway competitive. But alas, one of the oldest races in the Old World can't seem to figure out how to put more of that lightweight armor on.

Rant done, I'll go back to my daily toilings...

Not as a warhammer statement, but as a general statement, I dont think I could see High Elves in heavy armor, Maybe one or two badass guys, but not standard troopers.

Akuma
05-04-2005, 14:56
First off, the Empire really have no need for new sculpts.

First off, you dont like empire - the state troops are amongs the wors moddels in the whole range thay have 4 diffrent poses and spearman suck as hell as miniatures - second hendgunners have 2 poses and 4 "diffrent" minis acctualy and by accident you just can't buy spearman and handgunners normaly - you have to buy detachment :mad:

Second, the MOST the Orcs and Goblins need are plastic Boar Boys or Black Orcs, since Grimgor's 'ardBoyz list allows both as core. We've already heard GW's plans to phase out core pewter figs, so with the exception of unfavored appendix lists, we should expect this as the norm.

In O&G this is not about models but some silly rules and this is all - tahy should be changed not the models and there is realy need for plastic savages on foot.

Another one of HE unsatisfied costumers ... get a break - thay arent going to do anything about it till the seven edition - it's not down to costs but to weapon rules ...

Just Tony
05-04-2005, 17:25
First off, you dont like empire - the state troops are amongs the wors moddels in the whole range thay have 4 diffrent poses and spearman suck as hell as miniatures - second hendgunners have 2 poses and 4 "diffrent" minis acctualy and by accident you just can't buy spearman and handgunners normaly - you have to buy detachment :mad:

In O&G this is not about models but some silly rules and this is all - tahy should be changed not the models and there is realy need for plastic savages on foot.

Another one of HE unsatisfied costumers ... get a break - thay arent going to do anything about it till the seven edition - it's not down to costs but to weapon rules ...

Whoa. First off, I didn't say anything about not liking Empire. Any ideas you got that I didn't were COMPLETE conjecture. I have an Empire army, and do well with it. And no, the models don't need redone. They are one of the few multi pose plastic regiments that actually rank up. So you have to get the spearmen and handgunners simultaneously. So what? If you're building a balanced list, it shouldn't be a problem. If you're like my cheesemaster friend Shane looking to build the "100 Handgunners + Steam Tank army", then you REALLY don't have my sympathy.

Second, have you ever played against Orcs and Goblins? There's NOTHING wrong with their rules, save maybe the fact that they don't give you the option to arm Grimgor's bodyguard with shields.

Third, how do you get that the problem with Elves is weapons rules? Compare to other races, EVERY troop type in the High Elf book is overpriced. Mostly by one point, or the abilities or stat line falling short of being as effective as others of the same ability.

I didn't want to start a bile flinging episode. And now that it's started, hopefully we can put it aside before it gets worse...

Tony

Stouty
05-04-2005, 18:42
Bile flinging?!?
High elves definately needs some changes, standered infantry sucks, it can't actually fufill the role it is meant to; holding versus charges,and I'm not a discontented HE player I hate them, its just i realise how crap they are compaired to normal armies (maybe treating HE with spears like pikes that work in three ranks?)

BullBuchanan
05-04-2005, 18:54
Bile flinging?!?
High elves definately needs some changes, standered infantry sucks, it can't actually fufill the role it is meant to; holding versus charges,and I'm not a discontented HE player I hate them, its just i realise how crap they are compaired to normal armies (maybe treating HE with spears like pikes that work in three ranks?)

They have that ability when they dont move, do they not? Thats why the 5x3 formation is so popular with high elf spearmen.

Stouty
05-04-2005, 19:03
No im saying they should strike first and get +1 Strength versus charging monsters like pikes, not just 3 ranks

Grimtuff
05-04-2005, 23:13
No im saying they should strike first and get +1 Strength versus charging monsters like pikes, not just 3 ranks

erm, why? its not as if the spears can reach that far out anyway :rolleyes:

Just Tony
06-04-2005, 03:14
Pike rules would be a TAD excessive. The only thing needed is a drop from 11 points to ten points. No fancy rules, none of that. Just a drop in points. Well, for the archers too. I can't see why at that S they are the same price as Empire Handgunners.

Tony

BullBuchanan
06-04-2005, 03:20
just out of curiosity, why is there no bonus for pikes/spears against cavalry? Historically spears have always been a huge part of anti-cavalry tactics.

taer
06-04-2005, 04:46
Pikes have special rules against cavalry and monsters that charge them (+1 strength and first strike). Spears don't because A:They are a main line unit in a great many armies and B:Pikes pay up the ass for their rules. Four more points than a spear equipped human. I'm not sure how many people would be happy if their spearmen took a jump in points to be more effective versus cavalry.

Stouty
07-04-2005, 12:24
Fair-play, I've beinbg thinking of a dogs of war army far to much of rescent this was just a side effect.
Elves aren't that screwed though they have descent cavalry, just poo infantry (which is admittadly a tad unfluffy)
All I want are the unsung heroes, Chaos Dwarfs and DoW

Just Tony
08-04-2005, 14:21
The only thing I'm REMOTELY worried about with any new models coming out is the fact that the gaming community in general tends to rave about the new models up until they get them, then start complaining about them sucking. Recently, the fantasy plastics have been great, and a HUGE step above the multipose models from the tail end of 5th/beginning of 6th. I know alot of gamers are HIGHLY against the three piece plastics that have come out as of late, but I present three reasons as to why they work better.

1. In the end of the day, sure multipose lets you get REALLY creative with your figs and make a totally unique army, but they still have to rank up. Me personally, I'd rather have similar figs that rank well than a unique force that gives me an aneurism every time I try to fit them in a movement tray. (Speaking of that, as an offside, have you seen the new movement trays?!?!?! OMFG!!!!! I'm only hoping they make some bigger to fit a 5X4 unit of 25mm base figures, instead of leaving the tray sizes catering to the 20mm figs.)

2. Knowing that all you have to make to amend the sprue is a sprue of socket weapon arms like the Chaos Warriors makes it MUCH easier for them to be able to make add ons, with very little effort.

3. Finally, being IN the military, I know that troops march in step, and our drill and ceremony comes from the bygone days of regimental combat, so it would be VERY reasonable to assume that marching Warhammer armies would march in step, just like normal armies. Which also adds to the ranking up.

That aside, how long til we'll hear more concrete evidence of new Dwarf plastics?

Tony

Gotrek
09-04-2005, 04:06
about the models i dunno but the latest expectations as far as rules go are:

Dwarves never suffer penalties from being outnumbered in combat (like +1 CR, or auto break from fear).

Any dwarf lord can take a big shield, extending his Ldship radius to 18".

Slayers might be getting skirmish. I stress might, it's still undecided.

Longbeads are an upgrade for dwarf warriors, like inner circle

i wouldn't mind any of those rules aplied to dwarves, no i wouldn't... :D

mad dog
09-04-2005, 05:57
I don't know about new dwarf minis, but if they are gonna produce new plastics they need to be a whole lot better than the last lot - plastic slayers seem to be the hot tip.

I have heard of a few rules tweaks being playtested here in UK:

Slayers skirmishing

Miners arriving jut like skaven tunnel teams/TK scorpions

Some form of a shield wall bonus against cavalry charges for warriors

The rumours also suggest a full new army book after the new WE book

User Name
09-04-2005, 06:08
Man not auto breaking from fear would be soo sweet, it would make dwarfs so much better aganst VC

Festering Chantor
09-04-2005, 12:16
Slayers skirmishing
Would fit with the mad death-wish image of Slayers, but they still made a big deal about Rangers ranking up, 'cause: Dwarfs never fight like cowardly elf-things...

Slayers hiding in woods... pathetic!

taer
09-04-2005, 17:51
Man not auto breaking from fear would be soo sweet, it would make dwarfs so much better aganst VC

That would be a lame rule. It would make dwarves even more boring to play against. Maybe at best, just ignoring the +1 Combat resolution for outnumbering, but really, why?(aside from fluff reasons). Dwarves are just as hitty in CC as nearly any other infantry unit, especially with a super lord in the unit, and I really can't see the only real advantage hoarde armies can bring against them on the infantry front being negated as a good move.

Now, some tricky movement runes would make dwarves have the option for being a less static (and boring) army.

Stouty
09-04-2005, 18:14
Gotta agree, in small games it's not as if drawfs have any problems against undead anyway (4 dispell dice, in a 1000pt game even if i took all necromancers i would only have 8 power dice, and I've wasted all my hero choices on spell casters; the dwarf player has done nothing)

User Name
09-04-2005, 22:11
Just wishful thinking seeing as i can never seeme to beat the VC player in my group with my dawrfs... lol

The only justification for the rule would be the fluff but that would most likley upset game balance. I just read the post and got a little excited.

BullBuchanan
10-04-2005, 04:09
Just wishful thinking seeing as i can never seeme to beat the VC player in my group with my dawrfs... lol

The only justification for the rule would be the fluff but that would most likley upset game balance. I just read the post and got a little excited.

I have areal hard time against our TK player as well....

Stouty
10-04-2005, 09:47
Maybe they creep you out if your really phillisophical, "does this prove that after death there is nothing?"

Stouty
10-04-2005, 09:55
Don't you? I did in a game of rugby once.I'll admit its not a brilliant idea though.

Faust
10-04-2005, 17:21
Have to agree with Stouty on this one, thinking about anything philosophical while either being rucked or mauled is a bad idea, esp. when your running into the other teams props while trying to get a try, NOT a good idea. By the way what position did you play Souty?
Faust

Wargamejunkie
10-04-2005, 20:49
Ahhh, I cant wait for all these new add-ons especially since I am planning on start dwarfs after my lizzies. By the way, watch out for getting clipped I just underwent knee surgey because we had some guy come in from the side. Besides everyone knows that locks and flankers carry the team ;)

Stouty
12-04-2005, 19:13
Have to agree with Stouty on this one, thinking about anything philosophical while either being rucked or mauled is a bad idea, esp. when your running into the other teams props while trying to get a try, NOT a good idea. By the way what position did you play Souty?
Faust

I was a prop, which was fun when not having philisophical debates with ones self.
Got kicked of the team though after savaging this one kid though, he used studs on my face!

BullBuchanan
12-04-2005, 21:58
about the models i dunno but the latest expectations as far as rules go are:

Dwarves never suffer penalties from being outnumbered in combat (like +1 CR, or auto break from fear).

Any dwarf lord can take a big shield, extending his Ldship radius to 18".

Slayers might be getting skirmish. I stress might, it's still undecided.

Longbeads are an upgrade for dwarf warriors, like inner circle

i wouldn't mind any of those rules aplied to dwarves, no i wouldn't... :D

That would be awesome! Of cousre dwarves shouldn't be dishearted or autobreak from being outnumbered. They are dwarves after all! Slayers having skirmish would be great and perfectly in tune with their fluff. Slayers arn't rank and file soldiers, they're suicidal maniacs ;)

I like the longbeards Idea as well, right now they are an awesome display piece, but thats about where their usefullness ends.

DrCamf
12-04-2005, 23:57
sure wouldn't mind a change to the dwarfs, but think that they work ok now, maybe some reasonale rules for miners and longbeards, the innercircle idea sounds very cool.

Crisis
13-04-2005, 00:26
I think that Slayers are too common in Dwarf armies now days. Right now they are too much of a rank and file troop which doesn't fit their fluff. They should be more along the lines of Doomseekers.

Wargamejunkie
13-04-2005, 01:25
Well, I could see them comming with the scout and skirmish option. After all they are a bunch of crazy people running through the woods. I hate to ask this but does anyone have anything semi-solid as far as material and dates.

NakedFisherman
13-04-2005, 05:18
High Elf Archers statistically against Handgunners and Crossbowmen don't do too bad. The problem many see is that they cost more. The cost is included in the WS, I, and Ld values as well which are generally unused, therefore people figure the cost is too high.

So GW has two options -- lower their cost and give them some 'free' stats or keep their costs the same and just keep dealing with disgruntled players.

Generally, most people who play this game think there is only one or two ways to do things. Archers aren't bad for their cost, really. Just don't try to mow down an entire enemy unit and you should do fine. :P

NakedFisherman
13-04-2005, 05:22
just out of curiosity, why is there no bonus for pikes/spears against cavalry? Historically spears have always been a huge part of anti-cavalry tactics.

Don't know what history you're referring to. Maybe early middle ages and times before armor. Spears do work well against Fast Cavalry in the rules now anyway.

The heavy lance of the middle ages is about as long as a spear.

Odin
13-04-2005, 12:50
Don't pikes get +1 strength when charged by cavalry?

Spears probably should as well. Or "armour piercing" at least.

Crisis
13-04-2005, 14:22
Yeah the Tilean pikemen gets +1 S and strike first when charged by cavalry.

Spears shouldn't really get an extra S against cavalry because spears tend to be shorter than pikes and therefore have less reach than pikes. Pikes are also made of steel whereas spears are usually made of wood.

IMO spears are too fragile to get the +1 S bonus against a full cavalry charge.

Stouty
13-04-2005, 19:33
It would also mean that cheap empire spearmen would be far to over powered, either that or they wouldn't be cheap anymore.

Barbarossa
18-04-2005, 22:38
I also happen to think that Dwarf longbeards are the best looking units in the game, so I hope they keep them mostly unchanged

Longbeards? The pox upon those miniatures! They look like a unit of statues! While dwarfs are disciplined like no other race, they are too individualistic to just stand there and look like the other 20 guys from their unit. Those miniatures need a serious overhaul.
And yes, the plastic warriors badly need to be redone. They can scratch the soles of their feet while standing upright, for Grungni's sake!

Galadrin
18-04-2005, 23:25
To be honest, you couldn't even use a spear like that, it would break. Spears are great against cavalry because you could actually reach the cavalry man up on his horse. Maybe this should be represented by the spear attack being -1 to armour against mounted units (effectively removing the +1 armour for being high up on a mount)?

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 00:16
Longbeards? The pox upon those miniatures! They look like a unit of statues! While dwarfs are disciplined like no other race, they are too individualistic to just stand there and look like the other 20 guys from their unit. Those miniatures need a serious overhaul.
And yes, the plastic warriors badly need to be redone. They can scratch the soles of their feet while standing upright, for Grungni's sake!

I kinda like the Longbeards. But I do think they need more poses. More poses is really all they need I believe, along with the Hammerers and the Ironbreakers. More poses.

Actually hang on, more poses and plastic models for Ironbreakers :D

The Judge
23-04-2005, 21:20
Slayer armies may be all well and good in the game, but they are boring to paint, and you barely get a look in during any other phase than combat. Movement - they're Dwarfs! (Doomseekers aside), No magic, one piece of shooting, if they take Malakai...I'm not surprised not many GW staff take them, when they can afford the slayers.

New metal slayers should, however, be sweet, judging by the new (even higher) standard to sculpting GW seesm to have reached.

Nazguire
23-04-2005, 23:03
Slayer armies may be all well and good in the game, but they are boring to paint, and you barely get a look in during any other phase than combat. Movement - they're Dwarfs! (Doomseekers aside), No magic, one piece of shooting, if they take Malakai...I'm not surprised not many GW staff take them, when they can afford the slayers.

New metal slayers should, however, be sweet, judging by the new (even higher) standard to sculpting GW seesm to have reached.

Aye, they are the most monotonous thing ever to come out of GW...I believe the other Dwarf idea they had would have been better, the Engineer Guild Expeditionary Force. Just think, Dwarf Engineers that can do something :eek:

Plastic slayers would be even better methinks, less expensive and more easy to convert for those out there that do collect the Slayer Army of Karak Kadrin.

Gorog Irongut
24-04-2005, 15:43
I personally have no problem with my slayer models. You just have to go a little farther afield (into the past) to find the good ones. As for staff not having slayer armies. When the SoC came outm, 3 of the 7 members of staff (myself included) went and built slayer armies. We just got tired of playing them cause they were too easy to win with.

Gimli87
24-04-2005, 16:56
yeah a bit less Hi-Ho and a bit more Oh-Ho

..... Best description EVER!!!!!!

Stouty
24-04-2005, 17:00
We just got tired of playing them cause they were too easy to win with.

Slayer armies must be ended.

You know somethings wrong when you can win just by getting beat up.

Xand0r
25-04-2005, 05:36
I hate the dwarf plastics. The chain mail looks ugly, and the trim looks worse. The arms and hands are just stupid. I'm not keen on the beards either. I like most of the other models in the range.

I wanted to start dwarves, but those plastics were my biggest deterant. Can't wait for the new ones. Hopefully they do another troop type in plastic as well.

Farp
25-04-2005, 05:50
I have to agree that I really do hate the dwarf plastics and the hammerers as well. I would love to have great weapons be able to be positioned in some other way than just resting on the shoulder and the same goes for the crossbowmen as well.

I hope the new plastics have a bit more variety. I really would rather have more options of poses on the sprue rather than pipes and arrows. Can hardly wait to see what they give us. It better be good or GW is going in my Book of Grudges :mad: .

Darkfang74
02-05-2005, 23:18
Has anyone heard anyinfo about the battalion boxxes yet? Or are we still waiting. We need vetter plastic Dwarfs ASAP!

Frankly
11-07-2005, 14:50
Plastic slayers would be at the top of my list.

A really heavy armoured plactic model would be second.

Nazguire
12-07-2005, 00:58
Plastic slayers would be at the top of my list.

A really heavy armoured plactic model would be second.

Aye tis would be cool. Plastic Slayers with parts to make Daemonslayers, Dragonslayers and Giant Slayers. I don't know what the appearance would entail to make them different to the other Slayers, perhaps simple jewellery or a very rune encruste axe?

Xisor
12-07-2005, 01:37
To be fair, Iron breakers should not be difficult to do in plastic, the same with either hammerers, rangers or miners(hell, most of these could be done with a seperate arms/weapons sprue each!). With Slayers being a 0-1 Unit choice having to face the expensive cost for them shouldn't be bad considering what we could get if they do everything else well in plastic. Plus, in metal, can't you sculpt better detail? Come on the intricate beards and mohawks!!

Xisor