PDA

View Full Version : Starship Troopers...

the_yuk
20-03-2005, 09:22
Has anyone played a game of starship troopers? I just wanted a few ideas of how it plays, thats if its out yet. I like the CHAS nice looking model, awesome in teh roughnecks serious, might add one to my guard army, for no apparent rteason other then it looks cool.

salty
20-03-2005, 10:28
Try asking Andy C here:

http://www.redstargames.net/pravda.html

In the forums you'll probably find out all you want to know.

Salty :)

Sai-Lauren
21-03-2005, 13:03
For those in the UK (and especially the London/ SE area), Mongoose will be giving Starship Troopers it's worldwide launch at Salute 2005, at Earls Court Olympia, on Saturday April 23rd.

More info on Salute here (www.salute.co.uk)

the_yuk
22-03-2005, 23:02
True no one would know how it plays then the man who created teh rules.

Shining_Spear
31-03-2005, 01:04
Most of the minis look nice, but has anyone seen the new skinnies?

They look like Kroot crossed with Homer Simpson. ;)

Crazy Harborc
02-04-2005, 00:53
www.thewarstore.com for the USA. Neal has got a "special deal" on the game plus you can get the blisters/additional add ons that are coming out at the same time. It's at a discount plus free shipping (in the USA) on orders totaling over $75(USA).

The Warstore says the game is due out on April 18th. You can pre-order. I just pay direct to the Warstore. He takes Pay pal too.

Paddy
04-04-2005, 22:37
*cracks knuckles*

April 12th - Open Night (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6513)

Painted piccies

1 (http://dyssnowman.myphotoalbum.com/view_album.php?set_albumName=New-Bug-and-MI-pictures
)
2 (http://www.wargamesworldforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=522&PN=1&TPN=1 )
3 (http://www.wargamesworldforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=526&PN=1&TPN=1
)
4 (http://www.wargamesworldforums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=525&PN=1&TPN=1 )

boogle
05-04-2005, 22:23
does anyone have any ideas how much its going to cost in the UK (boxed game and other stuff?)

jazzdude78
06-04-2005, 00:19
Not to sound like a smartass or anything, but at the mongoose site you can click British flag at the left of the main page to put everything in pounds

for those not wanting to however
It lists the price as 50 for the boxset

inquisitorkane
07-04-2005, 20:16
I must say, I've finally given it and I'm going to pre-order the boxed set tomorrow. I've been following the game since it was first announced, and so far, I was able to resist temptation, but no longer. I think it looks like a great game, and I for one am excited about it.

Crazy Harborc
08-04-2005, 03:00
As long as GW is around, Starship Troopers MUST cost less and provide more to compete...........Who will win?? We will, the gamers.

Trench_Raider
08-04-2005, 03:37
Eh.
I lost complete interest in the project when I found out it was to be based upon the awful movies rather than the novel.

but anything that has the potential to take sales from GW has my vote!

"Trench Raider"

inquisitorkane
08-04-2005, 04:10
It's not based on the movies, it's based more on the CG cartoon than anything else. And IMHO, the movie was not actually that bad, when you take into account the fact that it was really meant as a satire of Heinlein's novel rather than an accurate retelling.

Reabe
08-04-2005, 12:19
The whole thing sounds interesting to me, some one who hasn't seen the movie (Got the DVD but haven't had the time to watch it) or read the books. I've only seen about 5 episodes of the Computer Generated cartoon. I like the idea of the "Archnids".

Heh, some how similar to "Tyranids".

watcher
08-04-2005, 13:34
actually more tyranids where based of arachnids, marines where based of the MI

i was pretty sure i was gonna get it at salute, but money is a bit tight and i need ik stuff more (its a game people i know actually play)

Bruen
08-04-2005, 16:52
I am also going to check it out at Salue05, but somehow the awefulness of the movies has rubbed off on the game and I do not have high hopes.

Also I can see them suffering from the same problem as 40k - everyone wants to play Marines.

Trench_Raider
08-04-2005, 18:37
It's not based on the movies, it's based more on the CG cartoon than anything else.

Which in turn was based upon the awful movies. This changes my point in what way?

And IMHO, the movie was not actually that bad, when you take into account the fact that it was really meant as a satire of Heinlein's novel rather than an accurate retelling.

I have heard that. I also have heard that the writter hated Heinlein's view of the future so much that he purposely sabatoged the script. Who knows which one is true. In any event, the novel deserved a better treatment than those films. (which sucked for more reasons than just not being faithful to the novel)

"Trench Raider"
who enjoyed the book and would play a REAL starship troopers game.

Sojourner
08-04-2005, 20:26
Actually, I thought the novel was crap and the film highly entertaining for the satirical value.

robertsjf
08-04-2005, 21:48
I heard they were providing armylists so you could play whatever SST fluff you wanted.....

GAWD
09-04-2005, 03:39
The movie (ST 2 doesn't count) was actually a fun little satire, a nice departure and critique of sci-fi formula and topically relevant (at least for the cold-war era and prior). The book was okay. The models are crappy (especially the non-bugs). The game ... dunno yet. It is based on a very small niche within sci-fi and was designed by someone jettisoned from GW (which, of course, doesn't have a good games dev. track record lately). IMHO ... It doesn't look good for ST.

InIronClad
09-04-2005, 05:30
Starship troopers the book rocked but i dont really see it feasible to be turned into a table-top game. the movie was pretty good if u ignore how it only vaguely resembled the book and the animation... godly. better then any show i have ever seen in my relatively short existance. and thankfully, the game is based off the CG animation starship troopers ^_________^ the models are looking preeetty damn sweet and i look forward to playing the game--eventually. that said, i agree with Bruen when he says that most people will be playing marines. i know i will. hopefully they will come out with new races besides the skinnys but MI will always rock my socks.

ROUGH NECKS! DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER?!

Reabe
09-04-2005, 11:20
I personaly want to do a "Bugs" army. Although, the Mobile Infantry does get more models and is more wide in range of them...

I'm really waiting for how they do the "Tanker Bugs" in plastic.

Brimstone
09-04-2005, 11:37
I'm really waiting for how they do the "Tanker Bugs" in plastic.

Mongoose have put up a preview of the Tanker bug but it's a fairly poor quality picture.

http://www.pbase.com/brimstone/image/41821646.jpg

salty
09-04-2005, 14:46
Now, ya see, that thing could be converted into a Tyranid with a bit of work.

I love the Starship Trooper models, and hopefully they'll provide enough competition to GW to force them to bring prices back down again...

Salty :)

Christine
10-04-2005, 09:03
*sighs* Mongoose has promised that you'll be able to field armies based on all the sorces. If you want an army with nothing but mobile suits then fine, if you want power armoured troops from the CGI series then fine, if you want movie style antics then fine. Basically you make what you want out of the game.

Bruen
10-04-2005, 09:14
Hmm no force org chart thingy then?

Interesting. I wonder how they will stop power gamers taking armies made up of only the best units? This would lead to cookie-cutter armies.

I suppose in theory if all units were balanced then this wouldn't be a problem but I have never seen a game system yet that has been able to achieve this.

Brimstone
10-04-2005, 09:54
Mongoose has PDF previews up for Starship Troopers including details on how you pick your troops.

You can find them here. (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/miniature/series.php?qsSeries=26#) (bottom of the page)

Bruen
10-04-2005, 10:22
OK that could work :)

I'm certainly going to check it out at Salute, and its the bugs army that appeals to me.

t-tauri
10-04-2005, 14:24
They look okay but the prices are going to be higher than GW. IIRC then the price for 8 MI was 15 according to an ad in the latest Miniature Wargames. That's nearly twice the price of equivalent GW Cadians.

Paddy
21-04-2005, 13:07
True, but you need far less for a big game.

And the arachnid Warriors are very reasonably priced.

Final point:

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=13

Jedi152
21-04-2005, 13:20
They look okay but the prices are going to be higher than GW. IIRC then the price for 8 MI was 15 according to an ad in the latest Miniature Wargames. That's nearly twice the price of equivalent GW Cadians.
...and they look about a thousand times worse. The only redeeming feature about this miniature range is the standard arachnids.

Rabid Bunny 666
21-04-2005, 13:37
i'd do a bug horde, just the horde factor :D

like the battle of the fort where the marines buggered off :P

Paddy
21-04-2005, 13:39
In Mongoose's defence - no professional painting staff. If GW advertised using miniatures painted by people whose first responsibility is in publishing the books etc, would they look as good?

And the Skinnies are prototype minatures. But very like the CGI series considering....

Plus the rules work in a much nicer way - IMHO

Bruen
21-04-2005, 15:26
The MI box that I pre-ordered arrived yesterday.

The figures look quite nice even though I have not assembled any yet, but they remind me much more of the kind of kits that are made for display rather than the more robust GW kits.

They have lots of options and seem quite poseable.

I hope that noone tells Mongoose that I am going to convert them for use as Tau Human Auxiliaries :)

Crazy Harborc
22-04-2005, 00:05
I doubt that Mongoose will really "care". GW seems to be the only wargaming company that wants to control "their" miniatures after the minies are bought and paid for.

With luck, I'll have the game box and the released suppliments by mid next week.

Scanno
22-04-2005, 10:44
I played the game a good bit while staffing at Leprecon 05, ended up giving some demo games when Andy "wasn't feeling the best" the morning after the pub quiz. It's got a nice fast set of rules, and I love the plastics. Plenty of bits and they look great. Don't like the skinnies, but it's not like I'll be seeing too many of them around Ireland. The company seem very happy with the game in general.
Oh, for those unsure about the minis, I was doubtful about how they'd turn out when I heard Bob Naismith was sculpting them. He gave us the Inquisitor Crimelord, Navy Bosun, Unbound Daemonhost, Citizens and the Warmaster Great Dragon, basically all the speciallist models I don't like. I am, however, pleasently surprised with the results (other than the aforementioned skinnies)

Songokuspirit
22-04-2005, 21:07
Actually yes, I do want to live forever, but when your only choices are fight some freaky bug things or sit on earth and have a meteor rammed down your throat I'd rather die fighting.

But that aside...

Paddy, you think the Bugs would be reasonably priced?
*Checks health*
You seem ok...
So I'm guessing we're talking about a different Games workshop then?
Man they charge 15 for a proudct which costs about 3 to make.
Not value for money regardles of what ya say.

As far as the game goes I'd rather play a Final Fantasy Mordiem Style game.
Any FF would do (seven onwards natch)

The units in S.S.T would be amusing, Like Brain Bugs being psyikers and Hopper bugs being termi's. Then you get the sorry assed human infantary where everyone is a last chancer.....

Crazy Harborc
22-04-2005, 23:50
Soon, very soon, the mailman will be delivering my precious game, Hehehe. I got the e-mail, today my order from the Warstore was shipped. No shipping charges and $25(USA) off retail. By next weekend I "hope" to inviting some regular opponents to check it out.

Incognito
28-04-2005, 06:30
I doubt that Mongoose will really "care". GW seems to be the only wargaming company that wants to control "their" miniatures after the minies are bought and paid for.

With luck, I'll have the game box and the released suppliments by mid next week.

Most wargaming companies are just desperately happy for someone to buy their stuff.

Rykion
28-04-2005, 18:55
The Starship Troopers plastic miniatures seem to be good quality. The Arachnids are a bargain compared to GW minatures. Everyone is comparing the price of the MI squad to Cadians which are among GW's cheapest per miniature boxed sets. The MI are closer to Space Marines in price and function. The MI's marauder suits will be a bargain compared to GW's dreadnought. I'm just happy to finally have a sci-fi game where every unit doesn't have a skull on its chest/helmet/knee/gun. ;)

Crazy Harborc
29-04-2005, 03:20
I got my order late Monday afternoon. I bought the game plus two boxes (6 in each) of bugs and one 8 man squad of MI troops.

Good, great details, very little flash............BUGS, I will be pushing bugs, oh YES. Finally, bugs that LOOK evil, that look bad ass. I like the lowly earthlings too, they look good.

Only one small, and it's a small problem. Testor's plastic cement doesn't "glue" the plastic used by Mongoose Publishing. Superglue THICK gel does work just fine. I little dab of accelerant will set the glue after you like the leg's positions.

BDJV
29-04-2005, 07:53
Anyone who does not give this game a try, is missing out. This game is a breath of fresh air in a stagnent quagmire of SciFi gaming.

mattjgilbert
29-04-2005, 14:59
My box arrived yesterday. I'm going through the rules now. They seem simple enough but with enough in them to play a fast and interesting game. The models are good and if I was to compare the quality with GW plastics I'd say GW were a 5 and these are a 4. That's based on initial looks - I haven't put any together yet!

Crazy Harborc
01-05-2005, 21:56
Tonight, I will be cranking up the bug assembly line. Tomorrow/Monday here, I will be reading more of the rulebook. I want to complete all 32 bugs (20 with the game, plus, 12 in 2 boxes I bought too). The special deal at The Warstore (USA) has me well on my way to a kickass/**** SST set of armies.

Some of the arms for the MIs are shorter than needed. Thanks to THICK Superglue gel, the arms/weapons can be made to work out just fine. The painting is going well. My first squad of MIs is done and ready to die..........um, make that defeat the bugs.