PDA

View Full Version : Cavelry Squares formation

Lord_Corvinus
18-01-2011, 19:43
i notice the absence of Cavalry squares formation for foot troops,
e.g on a swift reform as a charge reaction, perhaps allowing all sides of a box formation to face opponents for no flank or rear penalty, at the cost of loosing the rank bonus for fighting at the front ??

would make sense but im not sure when this tactic can apply like for elves only or some other army,

welcome to thoughts and ideas ,

theunwantedbeing
18-01-2011, 19:51
Sounds like something that would defeat the point of charging an enemy and make it ever more difficult to flank.

T10
18-01-2011, 20:14
And you've missed the Dwarf Oathstone rules. It pretty much does what you'd expect of a "cavalry square" formation.

-T10

Da Crusha
18-01-2011, 21:42
e.g on a swift reform as a charge reaction

What!? Can Someone actually do this?

Lord_Corvinus
19-01-2011, 02:06
Dwarf Oathstone , can you elaborate please ,
i have not been back in to gaming long having taken a break for cough 20 years ,lol my last edition of main rules was version 2 now brushing up on 8 so as you can imagine the rules have changed alot

not to mention i have paints still that even games workshop themselves have forgot what they looked like antiques lol, unfortunately my armies i had back then all seem to have vanished in to the choas rift , i think they call that moving... but nuff bout my life

cavalry squares was a valid tactic used in the 17th century onwards mainly for pike men that would make it near impossible for horse-born cavalry to charge a unit on foot, it was the single most effective tactic that changed unit warfare forever, instead it forced more aimed cannon shot to break up tight units,

a second question , how many skirmish units can you field at once,

Synnister
19-01-2011, 03:34
An Oathstone allows the unit to basically have all of it's models on the outside point outward. This removes the flanks and rear arcs. However, the unit cannot move and if required to the character carrying the stone is removed.

you can field as many skirmish units as allowed for the army's point allowance for the given category: ie if the unit is core then all of points less the points spent on the general could be spent of the skirmish units. There are no more slots for army composition. You have to spend 25% on core and have a minimum of 3 units and a general for your army to be fielded. 50% can be spent on special and 25% rare. Heroes can be up to 25% and Lords 25%.

T10
19-01-2011, 09:24
Dwarf Oathstone , can you elaborate please ,
(...)
a second question , how many skirmish units can you field at once,
It's fully described in the Dwarf rule book, but Synnister got the gist of it.

And there is no inherent limit to units with the Skirmisher special rule.

There are practical limits to how many times you can take the same kind of Special and Rare units (E.g.: Vampire Counts Cairn Wraiths are a rare unit of skirmishers, so there's a limit to how many such units you can have in your army). And some armies have special restrictions on units that happen to be skirmishers (E.g. Bretonnian Bowmen can be upgraded to skirmishers, but this applies only to a limited number of units).

-T10

Lord_Corvinus
19-01-2011, 12:37
are there any rules to allow a regular unit to skirmish in a "loose formation "

Torpedo Vegas
19-01-2011, 12:42
No, that's what skirmishers are for.

T10
19-01-2011, 12:59
are there any rules to allow a regular unit to skirmish in a "loose formation "

What would you like to achieve with a loose formation of infantry?

-T10

theorox
19-01-2011, 16:56
What!? Can Someone actually do this?

No.

Theo