PDA

View Full Version : Free company or state troops ?

tezza21
18-01-2011, 20:35
Hey guys i'm just starting my empire army and i'm wondering what is the best core option free company or state troops.

ftayl5
18-01-2011, 21:08
Free Company are nice throw away units, speedbumps, screens for your other unnits etc etc and make good detachments but they can't be 'parent units.'

You need state troops.
But I'd get both, Free Company have awesome models too.

freddieyu
18-01-2011, 21:19
I have found out that detachments do not count towards the 25% minimum for the core allocation. Please plan accordingly when you make your list and purchases..meaning you will need more models!!!

I use free company as small 5-6 man detachments, for the purpose of screens and speedbumps, and also for the +1 flank charge bonus

The core for any empire army are the state troops...get bucketloads of them.....and I mean bucketloads...

tezza21
19-01-2011, 07:39
Brilliant thanks i will get loads of state troops and hand gunners thank you guys

BigbyWolf
19-01-2011, 15:04
Personally, I'd say it comes down to which ones you prefer to use, either from a modelling or gameplay perspective.

After looking at the book which ones do you think would suit your play-style better?

E-Dog
19-01-2011, 16:04
Swordsmen are your best bet for state troops. WS4, I4, and sheilds for a 6+ ward in combat.

The extra point of Ws and Int. can be huge.

Torpedo Vegas
19-01-2011, 16:13
I did an analysis of state troops and thier worth here (http://irollboxcars.blogspot.com/2010/12/dark-eldar-and-state-troops.html). To summarize:
State Troops will always form your core, no matter what. Swordsmen are great for defense, Halberdiers can pack a punch in large numbers, and spearmen can be useful if fielded in giant blocks. Free Company are your cheap and cheerful detachment fodder. With each getting two attacks, having a detachment of 20 supporting halberdiers really helps with combat res. A tactic I find fun is to get a GIANT, I mean HUGE unit of spearmen (50+) and field to 25 man free company detachments. Drown your opponents in corpses!

Novrain
19-01-2011, 16:27
I prefer the free company models to the state troop ones tbh, and it can fit in with some fluff themes, so am thinking of buying the FC boxes and just using them as stroops, you get halberds and swords in the box, along with xbows and guns.

Always worth a thought.

SilasOfTheLambs
19-01-2011, 16:56
I prefer the free company models to the state troop ones tbh, and it can fit in with some fluff themes, so am thinking of buying the FC boxes and just using them as stroops, you get halberds and swords in the box, along with xbows and guns.

Always worth a thought.

I'm thinking of applying this strategy as well. WYSIWYG rules are usually 50% of models in the unit plus one, in tournaments that I attend. I have a large number of halberds and swordsmen (the only kind I use), and I'm thinking of building 20-30 free company and then just randomly slotting them into units of a particular type when I need to plump them out. In a pinch, some of those guys could even be flagellants.

Keller
19-01-2011, 17:44

Always worth a thought.

In 6th Ed, I did an entire militia army to bulk out my Empire, using all models from the militia box set. It is among my favorite hobby projects I've done for this game.

There are plenty of options to choose from in making "swordsmen" with the simple addition of a shield. Unfotunately, there are only halberds for 1 model out of 5 in the sprue set, so it can be taxing to make an entire unit of militia halberdiers. Fortunately I had tons of the sprues (from previous Free Company units, the 2 units of swordsmen, and other conversions) so I had ample to do a unit of 25 halberdiers, but it drained my bits-box. If you were a bit more liberal, you could use the two-handed swords to represent halberds (again, of which there is 1 per 5), of if you're not so worried about WYSIWYG or complete unit uniformity, then bulk out with whatever you want.

As for the ranged weapons, there are 2 bows, 2 crossbows, and 1 handgun/blunderbuss per sprue (5 models), so you would get x4 of each per box set. Since I had used my bows for other projects previously, I actually had a bit of trouble getting enough archers from my last few sets of sprues when I decided to add them. Plan accordingly if you want them.

Pistoliers can also be converted easily, provided you have horses and a set of mounted legs (or are handy with sculpting.) there are 2 pistols per sprue, but I mixed mine with hand-weapons for a good variety, making 12 unique highwaymen that are much more interesting than the standard models.

I never made any knights, greatswords, or warmachines, as I couldn't justify them in my army theme (a town militia). I was going to make rugged lumber-jacks w/ cloaks and 2-handed axes to use as Greatswordsmen, but never got around to it, nor made sufficient room in my list.

Anyway, I think its a great project, and I very much enjoyed doing it myself. Its well worth the investment in time to get a very customized army, especially if you love the militia models (like I do.)

Harwammer
19-01-2011, 17:56
tezza21 Is it right that you want to base your army around core infantry, hand gunners and pistolliers?

If so, then it may be worth buying the battalion, a box of free company and the bits pack of 5 unbarded horses. This will give you bits to kit bash 60 infantry models (you'll have plenty of pieces to build any kind of state trooper and plenty of hand gunners thanks to the contents of the battalion and the free company box) and 5 pistolliers (using parts from the knights and free company boxes mounted on the unbarded horses from the bits pack).

Doing this will give you far more variety than sticking to the state troopers/hand gunners boxes as you'll have spares from the greatswords, knights and free company kits to customize your troops.

Well, thats one suggestion.

Edit: @Keller I think it may be 1 greatsword/hand gun/halberd and 2 cross bows / bows per 4 models, not per 5...

Keller
19-01-2011, 19:25
Edit: @Keller I think it may be 1 greatsword/hand gun/halberd and 2 cross bows / bows per 4 models, not per 5...

You might be right. I haven't looked at the sprues in some time, so I don't remember how many legs/torsos there are to make a model on the sprue set.

In thinking about it, it is likely 4 models per sprue, so you would get 5 of each, allowing for 10 archers and 10 crossbowmen per box. Since this was the only way to get these troops (both of which were militia in 6th ed, when the box was widely sold) this would make sense to be able to make 1 unit of shooters per box.

tezza21
20-01-2011, 16:26
Yeah i do want to have a core of hand gunners and state troops and some flagelants as i love the the idea of a lot of nutters charging the enamy ranting the end is nigh:)

Reiksmarshal
21-01-2011, 18:14
Definately State troops as your main units. Big blocks of swordsmen(40+) with large detachments of halberdiers and free company work really well in new edition. Countercharging will force your opponent to split his attacks between your units with large flank charges and a big block to the front he simply wont have enough attacks.

tezza21
21-01-2011, 19:06
Can someone tell me the detachment rule as i have not gotten to that part of thr rule book

BigbyWolf
21-01-2011, 19:17
I think it's against forum rules to quote the exact rules on it, but to summarise it basically allows you to back up a parent unit with smaller units.

I'd say bite the bullet and skip ahead to the relevant part in the rulebook...I'm sure it won't ruin the reading experience too much. ;)

I don't use Empire personally, you might get better advice on detachments in the Empire Tactica thread in the Tactics forum.

the_slosh
21-01-2011, 19:26
they still sell the old empire battalion on gw's site, and here it is!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1050131
gives you some of the stuff you want.. just a thought... not great but decent

BigbyWolf
21-01-2011, 19:33
they still sell the old empire battalion on gw's site, and here it is!
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1050131
gives you some of the stuff you want.. just a thought... not great but decent

Although it does say "Availability: No longer available" at the bottom of the page. ;)

tezza21
21-01-2011, 19:40
gutted that would be great for me :( but oh well maybe some flagellants in place of the greatswords

Fishslapper
21-01-2011, 22:56
I'm very tempted to use the leftovers of state troops stuff and get another 20 militia and use the bodies. Just an idea if you get 20 state troops. I personally find the state troop pose a bit boring, you can clip the cloaks away (if you want) or file away some of the bumps on the militia bodies to get roughly the same feel (again if you want). You get an interesting looking State Troop Unit!

Also, Free Company have worked surprisingly well for me. I couldn't believe they had 2 attacks! Charge them in and they do some pretty decent damage. They are good fun too. If you want to play tourneys though I think I'm not the man to listen to :P

the_slosh
21-01-2011, 23:03
Although it does say "Availability: No longer available" at the bottom of the page. ;)

Well that was very silly by me, almost as silly as GW having an item that is no longer for sale on their website :wtf:

decker_cky
22-01-2011, 04:27
Well that was very silly by me, almost as silly as GW having an item that is no longer for sale on their website :wtf:

Depends on your country. On the Canadian page it says "Usually ships within 24 hrs"

Torpedo Vegas
22-01-2011, 07:32
Depends on your country. On the Canadian page it says "Usually ships within 24 hrs"

The GW site is weird like that. I've managed to get to the old DE warriors page and actually had them in my cart.