PDA

View Full Version : 4000pts High Elves of Saphery

GenerationTerrorist
18-01-2011, 21:52
Hi all. Second list of the day after just posting my BA project in the 40K forum! Now it is the turn of my High Elves, for a weekend mega battle at the end of this month....Against those lovely Druchi led by a a Lord on a Dragon, Manticore BSB, and two Hydra's. Plus lots of Witch Elves.

As always, I am a sucker for regional/themed armies when it comes to my High Elves. Sadly, my Caledor contingent won't be seeing much use for a while until I can think of a way of fully utilising my Prince on Star Dragon and Dragon Prince "Bus" unit of 18! Without them getting shot to crap on turn 2.

Anyways, with the nice models out of Island of Blood, plus some ebaying/trading, I have over the past 4 months managed to acquire a fair amount of Swordmasters and Sea Guard (I am calling them Tower Guard for fluff reasons!), so felt it time to put them all to use in a big game. Feel free to criticise or make suggestions as needed.

And no, I won't use Teclis!

High Elf Host of Saphery - Defenders of The White Tower

LORDS

Archmage (General)
Level 4, Lore of Life
Silver Wand, Folariaths Robe, Talisman of Saphery

Archmage
Level 4, Lore of Shadow
Seerstaff of Saphery, Talisman of Preservation, Amulet of Light

HEROES

Noble
BSB, Shield, Great Weapon
Armour of Destiny

Noble
Heavy Armour, Shield
The White Sword, Gem of Courage

Mage
Level 2, High Magic
Sigil of Asuryan

CORE

30 Tower Guard
Shields
Full Command

30 Tower Guard
Shields
Full Command

13 Tower Guard (Lvl2 Mage here)
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Arcane Protection

Special

19 Swordmasters (Life Archmage and BSB here)
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery, Talisman of Loec

19 Swordmasters (Shadow Archmage and White Sword Noble here)
Full Command
Standard of Balance, Helm of Fortune

14 Swordmasters
Full Command

14 Swordmasters
Full Command

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Harbinger

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Harbinger

RARE

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Total: 3985pts

General ideas and themes:
- The large Seaguard units would run 6*5, and the smaller one 7*2, safely behind the main line.
- The large Swordmaster units would run 7*3, and the smaller ones 7*2 for flanking opportunities.
- The BSB unit would be smack bang in the middle of the line (unit Champion taking Challenges, and then get resurrected if he dies), protected either side by the large Seaguard units, who in turn would be flanked by the smaller Swordmaster units.
- The second large Swordmaster unit, as well as the Reavers, would be on the extreme flank, whislt the Eagles would go on the other side.

Something like this, in an ideal scenario:

E-E---SM-SG-SM-SG-SM-SM-ER-ER
---------RBT-SG- RBT-------------

I am not to sure on whether to swap the Shadow and High Magic around on the two respective mages, or whether to take Death instead of Shadow.

Anyways, all feedback will be apprectiated :-)
Cheers,
GT

tmarichards
18-01-2011, 22:23
I wouldn't recommend putting your mages with your main combat units, yes they'll kill a lot but don't don't forget, unless you wipe out whatever you're fighting there'll be plenty of attacks coming back at your very vulnerable mages (unless you and your friend have no problem with the sneaky reform trick to get characters into the second rank?).

The flaming banner on one of the Seaguard units would be a nice touch- try to take a wound off a hydra with that unit, then pepper it with Bolt Throwers. Rinse and repeat.

Pointy Headed Elven Paladin
19-01-2011, 05:12
Hi all. Second list of the day after just posting my BA project in the 40K forum! Now it is the turn of my High Elves, for a weekend mega battle at the end of this month....Against those lovely Druchi led by a a Lord on a Dragon, Manticore BSB, and two Hydra's. Plus lots of Witch Elves.

As always, I am a sucker for regional/themed armies when it comes to my High Elves. Sadly, my Caledor contingent won't be seeing much use for a while until I can think of a way of fully utilising my Prince on Star Dragon and Dragon Prince "Bus" unit of 18! Without them getting shot to crap on turn 2.

Anyways, with the nice models out of Island of Blood, plus some ebaying/trading, I have over the past 4 months managed to acquire a fair amount of Swordmasters and Sea Guard (I am calling them Tower Guard for fluff reasons!), so felt it time to put them all to use in a big game. Feel free to criticise or make suggestions as needed.

And no, I won't use Teclis!

High Elf Host of Saphery - Defenders of The White Tower

LORDS

Archmage (General)
Level 4, Lore of Life
Silver Wand, Folariaths Robe, Talisman of Saphery

Archmage
Level 4, Lore of Shadow
Seerstaff of Saphery, Talisman of Preservation, Amulet of Light

HEROES

Noble
BSB, Shield, Great Weapon
Armour of Destiny

Noble
Heavy Armour, Shield
The White Sword, Gem of Courage

Mage
Level 2, High Magic
Sigil of Asuryan

CORE

30 Tower Guard
Shields
Full Command

30 Tower Guard
Shields
Full Command

13 Tower Guard (Lvl2 Mage here)
Shields
Full Command
Banner of Arcane Protection

Special

19 Swordmasters (Life Archmage and BSB here)
Full Command
Banner of Sorcery, Talisman of Loec

19 Swordmasters (Shadow Archmage and White Sword Noble here)
Full Command
Standard of Balance, Helm of Fortune

14 Swordmasters
Full Command

14 Swordmasters
Full Command

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Harbinger

5 Ellyrian Reavers
Harbinger

RARE

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Repeater Bolt Thrower

Great Eagle

Great Eagle

Total: 3985pts

General ideas and themes:
- The large Seaguard units would run 6*5, and the smaller one 7*2, safely behind the main line.
- The large Swordmaster units would run 7*3, and the smaller ones 7*2 for flanking opportunities.
- The BSB unit would be smack bang in the middle of the line (unit Champion taking Challenges, and then get resurrected if he dies), protected either side by the large Seaguard units, who in turn would be flanked by the smaller Swordmaster units.
- The second large Swordmaster unit, as well as the Reavers, would be on the extreme flank, whislt the Eagles would go on the other side.

Something like this, in an ideal scenario:

E-E---SM-SG-SM-SG-SM-SM-ER-ER
---------RBT-SG- RBT-------------

I am not to sure on whether to swap the Shadow and High Magic around on the two respective mages, or whether to take Death instead of Shadow.

Anyways, all feedback will be apprectiated :-)
Cheers,
GT

My mainstay HE army is one based on Saphery so I can see the appeal of running with most mages and swordmasters but IMO I think at 4000 pts. you can bring in more diversity and powerful units into the mix. Here are my suggestions:

Heroes:

I think you're heroes selection isn't tooled up to for a major combat duy or anti-magic protection. The BSB is rather soft and the noble isn't that threatening. The Lvl.2 is alright but you already have 2 Lvl. Mages in the mix so you'll need some way to include more power dice to play with.

I'd buff up the BSB to this since seem you're avoiding the standard setup of AoC, GP, & GW. : Armor of Silvered Steel & Dragonbane Gem / Luckstone or Dragon Armor, Talisman of Endurance, Enchanted Shield, Biting Blade / Relic Sword. This would make him a more capable close combat opponent.

Secondly the White Sword Noble should be instead a White Sword Prince with the following setup: White Sword, Armor of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix, & Talisman of Loec. This character is built for killing man-sized heroes in challanges.

I would give the 2nd Lvl. Mage Lore of Death so that you can try to generate more power dice for the other mages to use. Also consider using the Annulian Crystal on this figure to try an limit the number of power dice your opponent might have (how I'm pretty sure the sacrificial dagger will be in play anyhow so it might not make a difference). Also if the opposing Dark Elf army is heavily invested in shooting you can select lore of heavens to get the signature spell to keep them from decimating your swordmasters from range.

Core:

While I understand you want to use the new IOB figures for this type of battle I'd opt for the spearmen/archer combos instead of LSG as it would give you more high elves to fight with either in shooting or close combat.

Specials:

I'd give each of the smaller swordmasters a cheap magic banner as well like Banner of Eternal Flame, Banner of Swiftness, or Banner of Ellryion to either help them in close combat or get them into combat faster.

If I think of anything else I'll comment later but for now I hope this helps.

GenerationTerrorist
19-01-2011, 10:28
Cheers for the advice guys. Very detailed and informative :-)

I'll have a tinker around with the list and see what I can come up with out of my Magic Ulthuan Hat.

GT

Pulstar
19-01-2011, 13:03
I agree moving the mage's to the tower guard units makes more sense. Three units of 24 with full command +1 unit with the BoEF comes to 3 less points then your current build.

I also don't like the small units of ER's. They won't last one turn vs rxb fire from a small unit. A single unit of 10 may make it over to the other side of the table. maybe.

As far as lore of magic goes. Give the Silver wand mage Shadow. Give the Seerstaff mage High magic. (SoS, CoAA, FotP and Vaul's) Give the level 2 Fire. Heck you could give make him level 1 for all that matters. Give him the staff that lets him skip a miscast and then start throwing big fire balls at Hydra's.

The more I think about maybe switch the Seer staff to the level two and let him take CoAA and FotP and change your other level 4 to the fire mage. all those unarmored T3 models are just asking to get blowed up.

xXleumasXx
23-01-2011, 11:58
thats a bleeding lot of sword masters, too much if you ask me.

gorbad
23-01-2011, 13:00
i"d like to see some phoenix guard

xXleumasXx
23-01-2011, 14:06
i"d like to see some phoenix guard

they do kick serious ass, give them the right standard and they will plow striaght through most you throw at them.

Trains_Get_Robbed
24-01-2011, 02:10
P.G do not plough threw anything, I'm sorry -maybe slaves?

Yeah, at 4,000 points, no offense, but I don't see you putting up much of a fight.

You will get overrun too quickly with Hydras, Dragons etc. . . and will be held up long enough for his blocks to arrive in time. I pretty much second everything Pulstar and PHP have said.

Perhaps throw in some S.H (maybe a horde?) if you want to keep to theme? Regardless, the only super major flaw to think aobut is this: Why have 2 lvl 4's?

If your max is 12 p.d (which it shouldn't it should be raised in anything 4K up) then you will quickly find yourself out of dice. Try Death instead of Shadow or Life, thus giving you much needed P.D back for sucessful spells off.

thesheriff
24-01-2011, 18:52
they do kick serious ass, give them the right standard and they will plow striaght through most you throw at them.

Yeah, your using them wrong. 5x4, baner of sorcery, prefect wizard/BSB bunker. They dont plough through anything. You've got 4 other special unist that do it better...