PDA

View Full Version : Skaven 1500pts (Hobby Project)

kiwichild
19-01-2011, 01:47
Greetings Warseer-things,

I'm getting ready to embark on a skaven hobby plog and I would like to have an army-list to base my progress/goals on. This army will be used against some rather pouncy high elves and some gobbos with an identity crisis. Here's what I put together so far:

Skaven Armylist
Characters
Warlord War litter, Shield. 128ps
Chieftain Shield, BSB. 72pts
Warlock Doom rocket, level 1. 95pts
Warlock Doom rocket, level 1. 95pts
Total: 390pts
Idea: Doom rockets will be used to soften up targets.

Core
20 Stormvermin - Musician, Standard, Champion + Ratling Gun. 210pts
24 Clanrats - Musician, Standard, Champ and Warpfire Thrower. 186pts
24 Clanrats - Musician, Standard, Champ + Warpfire Thrower. 186pts
25 Slaves - Musician. 52pts
25 Slaves Musician 52pts
Total: 686pts
Idea: Stormvermin will have the Warlord and BSB which will bring them up to a 25 strong base. Clanrats (+Warlocks) on either side of the Stormies with slaves holding their flanks. Weapons team will be spread across the center between the storm and clan units = wall of fire + doomrockets.

Special
7 Gutter Runners 84pts
Total: 84pts
Idea: Warmachine hunting.

Rare
Doomwheel. 150pts
Warp Lightning Cannon. 90pts
5 Jezzails. 100pts
Total: 340pts
Idea: Doomwheel on a flank, lightning behind main line (center), jezzails near cannon. Mostly a sniper type role for both WLC and jezzails.

Army Total: 1500pts

I'm not sure how competitive this list would be, but I'm more of a hobbiest. Any ideas on what I could change around?

tarrym
19-01-2011, 19:35
You can't take more than 1 doomrocket - magic items are unique within your list :)

If you really want that second warlock engineer then maybe give him the death globe/brass orb instead?

thesheriff
19-01-2011, 21:00
Most skaven armies have a grey seer in 1.5k+. there's a reason. That level of magic dominance is not to be underrated at a comparitavly small price tag.

I would swap your teams to 2 mortars and a warpfire thrower.

3 extra gutters will make them alot more durable.

FYI, jezzails are Spec.

Thesheriff

sknich
20-01-2011, 22:39
Your units are a bit on the small side right now, i would suggest at least 30 for clanrats and 40 for slaves. The stormvermin should also be around 30. That way you can absorb some shooting and still have the ranks when you get into combat. Skaven rely on those ranks to be steadfast, to boost their leadership, and to get the +3 combat resolution for ranks each turn, since our infantry cannot stand toe to toe with anyone in a real fight.

kiwichild
27-01-2011, 06:10
You can't take more than 1 doomrocket - magic items are unique within your list :)
If you really want that second warlock engineer then maybe give him the death globe/brass orb instead?

Arghhhhhh good point about the doomrockets, death globe/brass orb research shall be done...done.

Most skaven armies have a grey seer in 1.5k+. there's a reason. That level of magic dominance is not to be underrated at a comparitavly small price tag.
I would swap your teams to 2 mortars and a warpfire thrower.
3 extra gutters will make them alot more durable.
FYI, jezzails are Spec.
Thesheriff

If I run a Gray, what do you think i should drop? I figure the 2 warlocks and maybe the cheiftan BSB or the warlord, any thoughts on how to re-squeck the list to fit a Gray? Good point with the jezzails, absent minded me...me. What is your experience with mortars vs. warpfire throwers? I like the idea of slinking around behind units and shooting but my hope is blast chargers and chance a panic on them from the warpflame. Thanks for the advise.

Your units are a bit on the small side right now, i would suggest at least 30 for clanrats and 40 for slaves. The stormvermin should also be around 30. That way you can absorb some shooting and still have the ranks when you get into combat. Skaven rely on those ranks to be steadfast, to boost their leadership, and to get the +3 combat resolution for ranks each turn, since our infantry cannot stand toe to toe with anyone in a real fight.

Good points: Should I combine the slave units to a unit of 40 or drop a clanrat unit and use the points to boost the stormvermin to 26 (warlitter makes 30), clanrats to 30 and boost both slaves to 40. :confused:

Thanks to you all for your help.

p.s Any thoughts on dropping the stormvermin and just using another unit of clanrats instead?

sssk
27-01-2011, 08:19
Dropping the storm vermin and using clanrats instead would probably be a fairly wise idea at this points level.

However (and it's a big however), you said you're more of a hobbyist (which I take to mean painting/modelling/collecting), and as far as I recall, the storm vermin are rather nice models.

Just something you might want to bear in mind. Don't get sucked into having "optimum" choices, if it sacrifices "cool" (in my opinion)

Jolly Puggles
27-01-2011, 08:38
I would personally not go for a Grey Seer at this points level. It's a lot of points to sink in one relatively vulnerable character.

The Ratling Gun is a waste of time; go with Warpfire Throwers and Mortars all the way...not only are they better rules-wise but they're easier to get hold of (one set of IoB and you've got one of each).

40 Slaves is enough, if you're worried about money-cost (50 means buying an extra box of rats).

I'd drop the Jezzails. Yes they're good, but very situational until you can afford a lot omre than 5. The Warp Lightning Cannon will perform better at this level of play.

Drop the Gutter Runners too, or invest more in them. As they are they won't do an awful lot and are a little too vulnerable. Personally I'd go with the former and use the points to bolster the Core Troops.

If you're going more for modelling project than efficiency, then Stormvermin are definitely the way to go! Beautiful models. If you can afford them, get 40 (2 boxes) and 40 Clanrats.

My philosophy on Skaven is that if you have anything less than 1 model on the table for every 10pts of your army (i.e. @1500pts, you'll want 150 models), you're probably going wrong somewhere. With 40 S.Vermin, 40 Clanrats and 40 Slaves, you're getting close! Then again, my armies are built around a theme rather than to get the most out of the rules (e.g. my Rare choices are, you know, actually rare instead of having 2 or 3 "Rares" in every army!).