PDA

View Full Version : Do Slann get look out sir rolls?

Angry Mook
19-01-2011, 01:57
While Slann are Infantry, aren't they technically mounted? If they are indeed mounted on their palanquin,
wouldn't their unit type change (in the manner of mounting a Scar Veteran on a Cold One changing his unit type to Cavalry?).
So would a Slann in a unit of Temple Guard get a Look Out Sir roll against cannons or Purple Sun?

Synnister
19-01-2011, 02:47
Their troop type is infantry according to the BRB and the requirement for LoS! rule is same troop type. Therefore they get a LoS! roll assuming 5 or more RnF models in the unit. To say otherwise is nonsense.

AMWOOD co
19-01-2011, 05:57
While Slann are Infantry, aren't they technically mounted? If they are indeed mounted on their palanquin,
wouldn't their unit type change (in the manner of mounting a Scar Veteran on a Cold One changing his unit type to Cavalry?).
So would a Slann in a unit of Temple Guard get a Look Out Sir roll against cannons or Purple Sun?

Yes, he's mounted, but what is he mounted on?
To be Cavalry, he must be mounted on a Warbeast.
To be Monstrous Cavalry, he must be mounted on a Monstrous Beast.
To be a Chariot, he must be mounted on a Chariot.
to be a Monster, he must be mounted on a Monster.

Of all the Slaan, only Mazdumundi falls under these (he's on a stegadon). All other Slaan are mounted on...(drumroll, please)... none of the above. They are still Infantry and receive all the rules that they are entitled to as such.

T10
19-01-2011, 13:03
While Slann are Infantry, aren't they technically mounted?

If by "technically" you mean "by the rules" then no. The model is an infantry troop type and has no mount.

He's sitting on a slab of stone, which is terrain and not a horse.

-T10

PeG
19-01-2011, 13:20
Based on the writing in this case and also in other such as Nurgle daemons etc my conclusion have always been that the entire purpose with clearly stating that they are in fact infantry is that they shoudl receive a LoS.

Tregar
19-01-2011, 14:03
Nurgle Palanquins are a whole nutha ballgame though, as they are mounted on a mount... just, it happens to be an infantry mount, which isn't really covered by the rules. Common sense prevails, however!

tmarichards
19-01-2011, 14:21
He is indeed infantry, although he is not on foot (as far as Transformation of Kadon and Flying Carpet are concerned).

Similar to how centigor are cavalry, but are not mounted.

He follows all the rules for infantry.

theorox
19-01-2011, 16:54
He is indeed infantry, although he is not on foot (as far as Transformation of Kadon and Flying Carpet are concerned).

Similar to how centigor are cavalry, but are not mounted.

He follows all the rules for infantry.

Of course he is on foot. How the model looks has no meaning. That's like saying that the Chaos spawn is not on foot, since all it has is tentacles. :rolleyes:

Slann are on foot. On foot means "unmounted" I see this as a pretty clear case of "Strict RAW is bad".

I hope i didn't sound too obnoxious. ;)

Theo

tmarichards
19-01-2011, 18:32
Yeah you kind of did, as I basically said exactly the same thing as you.

Masque
19-01-2011, 19:10
Of course he is on foot. How the model looks has no meaning. That's like saying that the Chaos spawn is not on foot, since all it has is tentacles. :rolleyes:

Slann are on foot. On foot means "unmounted" I see this as a pretty clear case of "Strict RAW is bad".

The Lizardmen FAQ disagrees with you. It says "Whilst the Slann is an infantry model he specifically is not on foot."

Which apparently means unmounted models are not neccessarily on foot.

ooglatjama
20-01-2011, 01:59
It doesn't matter if he is mounted or not, just what his troop type is. He is infantry so he gets the save.

theorox
20-01-2011, 11:58
Theo is an idiot. Excuses to all affected. :(

THeo