PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 1500 list vs demons (eep!)

rmb43
20-01-2011, 02:03
Hi all,

I'm looking for help writing a 1500 point list against my friend the demon player. He always runs a Skulltaker in a unit of 20 bloodletters, a unit of 20 demonettes, and either some flamers, bloodcrushers, or horrors depending on his mood. Here's my list; let me know what you think!

Tomb King- General
Great weapon, light armor, shield, dragonhelm
192 points

Liche Priest- Heirophant
Heiratic jar, cloak of the dunes
160 points

Liche Priest
Ruby ring of ruin
140 points

3 Chariots
Musician
130 points

29 Skeleton Warriors (liche priest here)
Bows, full command
257 points

19 Tomb Guard (tomb king here)
Musician, banner of the undying legion
271 points

4 Ushabti
260 points

Screaming Skull Catapult
90 points

Total: 1500

ftayl5
20-01-2011, 04:29
Hmmm

Tomb King is good, why a shield and a great weapon though? I would never be not using the great weapon if I were you and you (generally) can't shoot him with anything less than S10.
It's only 4pts or whatever but I'd drop the shield.
Otherwise, solid characters.
Drop the chariots. They're pretty awful against everything, but against Daemons especially they're just not going not be worth it.
For their cost, you can get either 2 ushabti, a tomb scorpion and some skellies, another SSC etc etc

Archers unit is good.
Try and buff the TG up to 25. Unless these are specifically 19 for the watchtower, TG with BotUL kick ass in the watchtower by the way.

Ushabti are good, SSC is good.

So yeah a good list all round, with a few tweaks.
Daemons are one of the best armies and Tomb Kings are one of the worst so it's gonna be an uphill battle for you though.
Good luck.

Maglok
20-01-2011, 08:02
I concur on the great weapon on the king. And the chariots won't do much (and a musician in em isn't neccesary either)

I might consider changing the direction of the entire list because we just plain lose in combat with deamons. Maybe towards owning shooting/magic. Then again that IS boring.

ftayl5
20-01-2011, 08:31
Yeah, shooting is probably the best way to go against Daemons, or Bretonnians, Lizardmen, Dark Elves, Skaven.....

Anyway, Maglok has a good point and in large numbers, our arrows can be doing some good damage. Don't think any daemon core units have any armour save either which is nice.

Maglok
20-01-2011, 09:42
Most deamon players will hide the squishy demons behind tough stuff like plaguebearers. But that only counts as cover and we can just shoot at whats behind with 5+.

Another option you could consider is taking the no-march banner. Slaanesh stuff can get to your line real fast if you don't watch it. Bit pricy and you need the icon bearer for it, so don't think it's a real option in 1500pts.

rmb43
20-01-2011, 13:17
Thanks for all the replies! I know that I'll have a hard time beating him, given the relative power of our two armybooks. But I love the TK and love playing the game; winning once in awhile is just a bonus. :)

I would add more shooting, but I don't currently own any more archers or catapults. Luckily for me, he doesn't own too many models either. I beleive his collection is: 1 Skullcrusher, 20 Bloodletters, 20 Demonettes, 20 Pink Horrors, 3 Bloodcrusher, and 6 Flamers. My problem is core points: I don't own more archers to replace the points lost from dropping the chariots....

I added the shield to the TK because I had the points and figured that I might as well get the extra AS vs shooting before engaging in close combat. My plan is to get the Tomb Guard into combat with the Demonettes (ideally with rear/flank charge by chariots), while dropping rocks and arrows on the bloodletters and flamers. We'll see how it goes!

RMacDeezy
20-01-2011, 17:35
I would add more shooting, but I don't currently own any more archers or catapults. Luckily for me, he doesn't own too many models either. I beleive his collection is: 1 Skullcrusher, 20 Bloodletters, 20 Demonettes, 20 Pink Horrors, 3 Bloodcrusher, and 6 Flamers. My problem is core points: I don't own more archers to replace the points lost from dropping the chariots....

well it doesn't look like his list should be too hard. if he uses skulltaker instead of a herald of khorne, thats good for you. skulltaker is good but hatred on bloodletters is better.

to deal with bloodletters- this is the SSC's only job. pump as many shots into this unit as possible before it gets to combat. bows and catapult on these guys full bore

horrors- ignore them unless he's bunkering a herald in here. i see you have no scorpion, if you did this would be his job.

daemonettes- this would be a good target for a turn of magic missile spam (hieratic jar+ruby ring+magic missiles from both priests). the flamers would also benefit from such treatment. go for all or nothing though, either throw everything at them in one phase or don't bother.

crushers- they're only T4,ushabti+some righteous smiting to whittle them down before combat. these guys hate poison too, target with swarms if you have any. also a good target for tomb guard but they'll NEED smiting in order to win.

all in all, his list doesn't look that tough, i think you have a real good shot of beating it if you use your incantations right.