PDA

View Full Version : khorne demonic legion 3kpts - first list for 8th - help!

bork da basher
20-01-2011, 15:07
ive played warhammer for 16 years now but dropped out when 8th came out because i didnt have the time or money to redevelop my armies for the new system. im now in a position where i can think about reinvesting in the game, however im not 100% sold on the new rules and having not played a game myself only witnessed a handful of them in store im no expert. ive gleaned what info i can from other posts and made a list of something which looks ok to me.

ive chosen khorne demons because its something ive always wanted to try in warhammer and with lovely plastic kits its quite easy to do. demons arnt the filthy cheese they used to be but hopefully its a decent list.

anyway i wanted the army to be led by a thirster (why wouldnt i) and ive gone for the standard setup O' doom for him. next up skulltaker, big fan of him in 40k and have seen him do great things in other peoples armies so he's in and riding a jugger. next a herald BSB with icon of despair, i know psych isnt as much of a nutbuster it was in 7th but im sure it'll be useful. next up foot troops. this is where i get unsure. i know big blocks are where its at in 8th but have i gone OTT or are they too small. whats optimum these days for letters'?

special is basically hounds. gotta love hounds. however are the units too small? would 2 larger units be better than 3 small ones?

gotta have some bloodcrushers the minis are too awesome not to. skulltaker will ride with these guys hopefully carve a red path through the enemy.

next a cheeky extra i couldnt help myself with. flamers of KHORNE (ahem) ive got some groovy conversion ideas for them so i dont feel too wrong about slipping them in. again would i be better off with bigger units?

any help would be great.

Bloodthirster / obsidian armour, axe of khorne, immortal fury / 540

Skulltaker / juggernaut / 200
Herald of khorne / BSB, great icon of despair, obsidian armour / 250

29 bloodletters / champion & musician / 366 (BSB)
20 bloodletters / full command / 270
20 bloodletters / full command / 270

5 flesh hounds / 175
5 flesh hounds / 175
5 flesh hounds / 175

3 bloodcrushers / standard & musician, icon of endless war / 265 (skulltaker)
3 flamers of khorne / 105

3001pts

thesheriff
20-01-2011, 19:12
Flamers of khorne. Cheesy c*nt :p

You can't take armour of khorne. Usuall combos include obsidian armour, infernal fury and something else (spellbreaker, firestorm, axe)

Bloodcrushers work best 3x2, so an extra 2 with skulltaker.

I would drop the hounds for 2 heralds with armour and firestorm blade (280), an extra 20 bloodletters (240) to bring em all up to horde.

Swap icon of endless war onto the bsv unit, and give them skull totem (they usually are ahead of the BSB.

Thesheriff

bork da basher
20-01-2011, 20:24
sorry armour of khorne is meant to be immortal fury, dont know how i missed that d'oh.

im not keen on dropping the hounds, the army will be a bit boring made up almost entirely of bloodletters. i might drop a unit of hounds and boost the letters up some more though.

5 crushers and skulltaker is one very expensive unit. im loathe to put that many points in one place, i know the combo works but its a bit too pricey to warrent it i think. one uber spell or good round of artillery will decimate it.

might have another look at how things work and come back to it as its obviously quite flawed. i dont want the army to be too samey but need to balance that with what works during the game.

cheers

immortal git
20-01-2011, 20:56
flamers of khorne, ugh, yeahh i dont know about hounds, theyre still pretty 'ard' and we have sweet ass models for them too!, i agree with thesheriff on the crusher unit, that thing is a hammer, and looks great on the table. ive only ever used bloodletters in 6x4 in 8th and it worked well, so maybe switch around the units a little?

bork da basher
20-01-2011, 21:22
yeah yeah i know flamers of khorne is terrible but i had points to use and couldnt really bear to paint more blood letters or hounds so that idea came into my head. filth i know but my gaming group plays competative so its all good.

thesheriff
21-01-2011, 06:40
You say you don't want to many points because theyll get shot. As soon as someone sees skulltaker in that unit every barell in the game will turn towered them. So you might aswell make them a bigger target, so it's a bigger distraction and has more wounds for survivability.

And basically your wanting as many ranks on the bloodletters as possible (hopefully horde). And tge reason I suggest the heralds is because of the locus of khorne, hatred is ace on them.

You could drop. One unit of hounds maybe?

bork da basher
21-01-2011, 08:22
ok pretty big overhaul. gotta stop thinking 7th edition....anyway

BSB has standard of sundering which i think will be more useful and 3+ save. got another herald with 3+ save too.

incorperated the 3rd letter unit into the others to make 2 big horde units. 10 accross 4 deep both led by heralds.

dropped a hound unit and added another 2 juggers and dropped a flamer unit to help pay for new herald.

better?

Bloodthirster / obsidian armour, axe of khorne, immortal fury / 550

Skulltaker / juggernaut / 200
Herald of khorne / BSB, great standard of sundering, armour of khorne / 165
Herald of khorne / armour of khorne / 115

39 bloodletters / champion & musician / 486 (BSB)
39 bloodletters / full command / 498 (herald)

5 flesh hounds / 175
5 flesh hounds / 175

5 bloodcrushers / full command, skull totem / 425 (skulltaker)

2999pts

thesheriff
21-01-2011, 15:09
Sundering is pretty useless now because most armies bring a lv.4. So the negative ant that awesome. Stick with -2Ld. It's pretty good all round.

But looks WAY better overall.

Thesheriff